Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: BtVS Episode Endings elimination game

Bronze Party-Goer StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

+ The Weight of the World
    - Forever

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 6

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 8

The Body : "Where'd she go?" - Dawn is contemplating Joyce's body/her loss and reaches her hand out as if she'll touch her mum's cheek. - 8

Forever: Having stopped the resurrection Dawn hugs Buffy as Buffy sobs, having gone to the door hoping to see her mother again. Both comfort each other in their grief. - "It's okay." - 3

Intervention: "I won't forget it." - After kissing him and asserting the robot was gross/obscene but what he did for her/Dawn re: Glory was real, Buffy exits Spike's crypt, leaving him staring after her. - 5

Spiral: Willow tries to speak to Buffy as she sits tearful and dazed amidst the devastation/death Glory left behind her and having failed to stop her taking Dawn. "Buffy." - 6

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 6

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 1 winner: I Robot, You Jane
    Season 2 winner: Innocence
    Season 3 winner: Graduation Day (Pt 1)
    Season 4 winner: Restless
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,273 Posts

+ Forever
    - The Gift

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 6

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 8

The Body : "Where'd she go?" - Dawn is contemplating Joyce's body/her loss and reaches her hand out as if she'll touch her mum's cheek. - 8

Forever: Having stopped the resurrection Dawn hugs Buffy as Buffy sobs, having gone to the door hoping to see her mother again. Both comfort each other in their grief. - "It's okay." - 4

Intervention: "I won't forget it." - After kissing him and asserting the robot was gross/obscene but what he did for her/Dawn re: Glory was real, Buffy exits Spike's crypt, leaving him staring after her. - 5

Spiral: Willow tries to speak to Buffy as she sits tearful and dazed amidst the devastation/death Glory left behind her and having failed to stop her taking Dawn. "Buffy." - 6

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 6

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,627 Times in 5,653 Posts

+ FFL
    - The Weight of the World

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 7

Forever: Having stopped the resurrection Dawn hugs Buffy as Buffy sobs, having gone to the door hoping to see her mother again. Both comfort each other in their grief. - "It's okay." - 4

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 5

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,638 Posts

+ I Was Made To Love You
    - Forever

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 7

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 9

Forever: Having stopped the resurrection Dawn hugs Buffy as Buffy sobs, having gone to the door hoping to see her mother again. Both comfort each other in their grief. - "It's okay." - 3

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 488 Posts

I corrected Spiral.

+ Forever
    - The Gift

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 9

Spiral: Willow tries to speak to Buffy as she sits tearful and dazed amidst the devastation/death Glory left behind her and having failed to stop her taking Dawn. "Buffy." - 5

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 3

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (18-06-19)

Thanks

- Forever

Spiral: Willow tries to speak to Buffy as she sits tearful and dazed amidst the devastation/death Glory left behind her and having failed to stop her taking Dawn. "Buffy." - 5

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 3

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks

+ The Body
    - Spiral

The Body : "Where'd she go?" - Dawn is contemplating Joyce's body/her loss and reaches her hand out as if she'll touch her mum's cheek. - 9

Spiral: Willow tries to speak to Buffy as she sits tearful and dazed amidst the devastation/death Glory left behind her and having failed to stop her taking Dawn. "Buffy." - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks

+ Forever
    - The Gift

The Body : "Where'd she go?" - Dawn is contemplating Joyce's body/her loss and reaches her hand out as if she'll touch her mum's cheek. - 9

Spiral: Willow tries to speak to Buffy as she sits tearful and dazed amidst the devastation/death Glory left behind her and having failed to stop her taking Dawn. "Buffy." - 4

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 2

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

+ Spiral
    - The Gift

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 1

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks

- Forever

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 7

The Gift : (There are no spoken lines over the final scene) - After Buffy's sacrifice at the end of the episode, the closing scene shows her gravestone declaring 'she saved the world a lot'. - 1

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks

I have two easy favourites out of the ones left, FFL and The Body. I can find reasons to like most of the others enough for them to also be in the top five.

+ FFL
    - The Gift *buried*

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 8

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 7

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (19-06-19),StateOfSiege97 (19-06-19)

Thanks

+ Forever

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 8

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Well for me Spiral is my number one. It probably won't win, but I just love that ending. It was terrifying to see Buffy genuinely feel like she was losing.

+ Spiral
    - Fool for Love

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (19-06-19),StateOfSiege97 (19-06-19),TimeTravellingBunny (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 810 Posts

Wow, I can't believe The Gift has been eliminated! I was gone for a short while and bam, it's already gone. Oh well.

eta: I love Intervention's end but I can't bring myself to vote against Spiral or WottW just yet.

+ Fool for Love
    - Intervention

Intervention: "I won't forget it." - After kissing him and asserting the robot was gross/obscene but what he did for her/Dawn re: Glory was real, Buffy exits Spike's crypt, leaving him staring after her. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    buffylover made this stunning banner

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (19-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    Wow, I can't believe The Gift has been eliminated! I was gone for a short while and bam, it's already gone. Oh well.
    I think it is because the final scene is just on the gravestone. There's a boatload of emotions on that of course, but it isn't as affecting as seeing the character responses in the others.

+ Fool for Love
    - Weight of the World

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 9

Intervention: "I won't forget it." - After kissing him and asserting the robot was gross/obscene but what he did for her/Dawn re: Glory was real, Buffy exits Spike's crypt, leaving him staring after her. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    Last edited by Stoney; 19-06-19 at 02:19 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (19-06-19),TimeTravellingBunny (19-06-19)

Thanks

For me, the season most involves the ethics of intra-relation—

The way in which the self is far from autonomous, is, rather,
    woven from its relation with others, be those relations of
    love (Buffy/Joyce/Dawn/her friends—and, ultimately, Spike, in
    a strange way, as well as Willow/Tara, Xander/Anya, &c.) and
    violence (Buffy/Dawn/Glory)—

For this reason, those episodes that end with direct address
    to the other most resonate, especially those whose address
    finds no response or whose address affects a radical change—
    or both...

Thus, first, I would rank I Was Made to Love You: there,
    Buffy's "Mommy—?"—a word uttered into the abyssal opening
    of death, the space from which there can be no response, enacts
    an utter change in Buffy's (and Dawn's) being, her ability to move
    through the world, to understand it, to relate to others, to even
    understand herself, to even feel, to be open to the future (as we
    see in The Weight of the World, in her inability, until the
    last moment, to understand her gift—

That no response may come—that absolutely shatters the self
    who utters the call, who awaits the returning word...

This, too, makes explicit the intertwining of ethics of relation, the
    life they give, with the death, the finitude within which they are
    constitutively bound, a bound that the season end enacts
    ineluctably, setting off ripples through all Buffy loved, died to save—

After that, I value Fool for Love

For although it works very differently, it participates in the
    same economy—or in excess of any economy of predictable
    calculation—for there, Spike finds, as I have written at length
    elsewhere, a radically different response to his address to an
    other, to the vulnerability it exposes: unlike Cecily, unlike
    Drusilla, unlike Buffy earlier in the episode, Buffy here does
    not meet him with the devastations of cruel disdain... She may
    not greet him directly, but she opens herself out to him, gives
    him a space in which he may, in turn, offer care—that tentative
    patting of her shoulder, a patting from which she does not
    shrink—care and listening, care and listening that form his
    first experimental step towards something other than the
    bad Spike whom he had portrayed to her that evening or
    the pitiable William whom he had hidden... an other who,
    eventually, will seek not so much to fully cross to line
    between life and death as to enter into the gray area, the
    liminal space in which both Slayers and ensouled vampires
    move, seek to move with grace, obligation to the other, giving...

Finally, The Weight of the World—this, too, takes the form
    of an address; this, too, brings us to the imbrication of life and
    death, the requirement to kill—to kill a human creature—to
    assure to life of the mass of other such creatures, of the world...
    In this, it changes all again, for it shatters the line Buffy has so
    carefully observed in her slaying—shatters it by placing a
    duty at once abstract and palpable against the equally palpable
    but far from abstract, the bodily, sinewy, selfly relation to Dawn—
    abstract duty and the bodily obligation that has moved Buffy
    nightly in her slaying, that moved her to kill Angel, against
    the bodily obligation and bodily sense of being-in-the-world
    beyond her duties as a slayer, the embodied love she lives
    in her relation to Dawn... That such an absolute statement
    comes from Giles—Giles who, much as he loves Buffy, loves
    even Dawn, loves the world more, speaks here from the
    patriarchal order that, as we will later discover, made the
    Slayer in the first place... This, I think, creates a scission
    in their intra-making of each other, one that will play out
    in seasons to come—and prefigures the way in which Dawn's
    call, a call she makes silently (for she will want to jump
    herself), a call that Buffy hears far before Dawn could even
    think to utter it—the way in which that call forms a demand
    that Buffy find another way, a way that brings us, again,
    to the unbearable imbrication of life and death, the
    obligations placed upon us by our finitude...

(Finally, before I end this over-long post, two last points:

(In relation to all I have written, I would rank Spiral a
    a close 4th: first, of course, the call to Buffy... and to a
    Buffy lost to herself, absconded—an absconding provoked
    by the loss of that part of herself that Dawn embodies... But
    not only that: that desperate tremor in Willow's call, that
    sense that she, too, has experienced a certain loss in the
    affective force of Buffy's loss (double genitive—what Buffy
    has lost in Glory's theft of Dawn and what of her self has
    fled in response)... Here, again, the relational interweaving
    of self through self, of love and obligation and violence, of
    love and death, that so gives the season its shape...

(Compared to these four... To me, the others pale... I
    do have a certain affection for Intervention, but it
    but echoes Fool for Love, adds but Buffy's more
    active giving, which is not enough to rank it higher...
    Forever, on the other hand—it has never pulled me,
    has always struck me as fine but also too easy, expected,
    a tad trite: it opens into no future that was not fully given...
    And yes I do bear a certain affection for The Body
    but here, again, it rankles as rather predictable, something
    we've seen coming since the "Negative Space" scene: it
    completes what we have already been given, is moving in
    voicing Dawn's longing, in her sense of the palpability of
    Joyce's absence, of the presence of her absence—but
    that theme, the presence of the absence of the dead,
    carries through the entire episode... Dawn's words express
    a certain poigency, finally give her a voice in this
    problematic, but they do little more, offer nothing new
    to think, enact no new affective force or ideas... )

But enough...

Apologies for nattering on so long...

Insomnia coupled with a rather unpleasant migraine...

And only a few hours before I see my psychoanalyst,
    a session that will, doubtless, given the intensity of
    our work, only intensify the pain...

At least I have meds, Derrida and Specters, and this
    forum to comfort...

+ I Was Made to Love You
    - Forever

Fool for Love : "Is there something I can do?" - After feeling humiliated by Buffy Spike comes armed with a shotgun to kill her, but seeing her in tears approaches her to try and comfort her instead - 9

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 10

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 19-06-19 at 02:35 PM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

buffylover (19-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (19-06-19),Stoney (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,638 Posts

+ I Was Made to Love You
    - The Body

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 11

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfSiege97 View Post
    Thus, first, I would rank I Was Made to Love You: there,
    Buffy's "Mommy—?"—a word uttered into the abyssal opening
    of death, the space from which there can be no response, enacts
    an utter change in Buffy's (and Dawn's) being, her ability to move
    through the world, to understand it, to relate to others, to even
    understand herself, to even feel, to be open to the future (as we
    see in The Weight of the World, in her inability, until the
    last moment, to understand her gift—

That no response may come—that absolutely shatters the self
    who utters the call, who awaits the returning word...

This, too, makes explicit the intertwining of ethics of relation, the
    life they give, with the death, the finitude within which they are
    constitutively bound, a bound that the season end enacts
    ineluctably, setting off ripples through all Buffy loved, died to save—

And yes I do bear a certain affection for The Body
    but here, again, it rankles as rather predictable, something
    we've seen coming since the "Negative Space" scene: it
    completes what we have already been given, is moving in
    voicing Dawn's longing, in her sense of the palpability of
    Joyce's absence, of the presence of her absence—but
    that theme, the presence of the absence of the dead,
    carries through the entire episode... Dawn's words express
    a certain poigency, finally give her a voice in this
    problematic, but they do little more, offer nothing new
    to think, enact no new affective force or ideas... )
    I think how you feel for IWMTLY is greatly how I feel about The Body in the relationship between the one asking the question and the meaning drawn around the lack of an answer. I find the sense of loss, absence, so much in the question Dawn raises but especially in the reaching out, the contact that we never see happen. It's a contact that can never happen again of course, even if she touches the body, as the body in itself is absent of its inhabitant in death. But in combination with the literal absence despite seeming physical presence, there is tangible sorrow and the question in itself illustrates that. The wish to work out what is 'now' around the absence of the person is tied strongly to the sense of not wanting to lose them entirely and so beginning to touch on their ongoing presence in the connection and relationship that was. Something that isn't totally eradicated as someone is there missing them, remembering them. The answer is contained literally within the person asking the question, in any that mourn and feel the loss. I think it's one of the most emotional endings in the show.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

StateOfSiege97 (19-06-19)

Thanks

+ Forever

I Was Made to Love You : Buffy comes home to find her mother lying dead on the couch. - "Mommy?" - 11

The Weight of the World : "Buffy, the only way is to kill Dawn." - The scene ends with Buffy's dismayed reaction to Giles' suggestion if the portal opens Dawn's death is the only way to stop it. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    08. The Gift
    09. Buffy vs Dracula
    10. No Place Like Home
    11. Out of My Mind
    12. Checkpoint
    13. Tough Love
    14. Crush
    15. Listening To Fear
    16. Real Me
    17. Triangle
    18. Blood Ties
    19. Family
    20. The Replacement
    21. Shadow
    22. Into the Woods

Results:
    Season 5 winner:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I think how you feel for IWMTLY is greatly how I feel about The Body in the relationship between the one asking the question and the meaning drawn around the lack of an answer. I find the sense of loss, absence, so much in the question Dawn raises but especially in the reaching out, the contact that we never see happen. It's a contact that can never happen again of course, even if she touches the body, as the body in itself is absent of its inhabitant in death. But in combination with the literal absence despite seeming physical presence, there is tangible sorrow and the question in itself illustrates that. The wish to work out what is 'now' around the absence of the person is tied strongly to the sense of not wanting to lose them entirely and so beginning to touch on their ongoing presence in the connection and relationship that was. Something that isn't totally eradicated as someone is there missing them, remembering them. The answer is contained literally within the person asking the question, in any that mourn and feel the loss. I think it's one of the most emotional endings in the show.
    first comment: lack of sleep, too relentless a flow of too-long unexpressed ideas, an
    ever-creeping migraine... the result: the dyslexia has doubtless done damage, as i have
    not the energy to revise... fear if i try, the effort will but provoke further flow of words...
    and that.... oh, great badness....

My dearest Stoney

While I think our ideas resonate, they do so from asymmetrical positions:

My focus upon endings that contain an address to the other and the
    affective force of those utterances works athwart your statement that
    The answer is contained literally within the person asking the question,
    in any that mourn and feel the loss

A thematic central to S5, as an outgrowth of S4 and a development of the S4—S7
    exploration of the ethics of power, lies in the relational structure of identity: the self
    is never autonomous, never self-organizing and self-making—she always becomes in
    and through her relations to others and the world, through the weaving of their touch,
    a touch that gives space and time themselves, gives them as she gives her self in
    her obligation to the others who make her, whom she makes in turn, through the
    imbrications of their obligations. In this sense, as Levinas says, ethics precedes
    ontology, obligation precedes being. There can be no "inside" the self if there first
    be no relation to the other, the one seemingly outside the self—otherwise, one would always
    be simply and ever the same, would experience nothing, would be given no time,
    would be closed off to change. Thus the self is porous, her boundaries shifting,
    dissolving, resetting, and altering again at the touch of the world's alterity...

This is why I find it so fascinating that so many of the episodes of S5, a season that
    ends with Buffy's death as a response, a gift, to the call of both Dawn and the world,
    and with apostrophes, with lines of direct address to the other—

Some carry more affective force than others, but their very proliferation underlines
    the constitutive role address, call-and-response (to refer to the African American
    religious/musical tradition), the intra-action of self and other play throughout
    across the season's arc—

Hence my focus upon those episodes, as I explained above, where the address
    affects an irreversible change in the world of the characters—

To take the two episodes with which we are so engaged:

Buffy's "Mommy" is an address, a call to the one person in the world
    with, through she is most deeply woven, to whom she is most deeply
    obligated—and that call is fated to find no response, fated to fall into
    the void of death, a silence beyond all silences, one that cannot even
    be thought in opposition to sound in its extremity... To that absolute
    silence Buffy can find no answer within herself, for it invades her,
    threading its way along the lines woven by her mother's living voice—

Such invasion shatters—

Tearing Buffy not simply from her mother but from her self, all she
    knows her self to have become—

Hence her vomiting, as if she were seeking to expel a suddenly
    inhabiting violation—

And Dawn experiences the same in the school hallway in The Body:
    she slides down, clutches herself, closes herself off, as if to ward off
    the invasion of the negative space knowledge of her mother's death,
    the presence of her absence, would bring—

And ward it off she does for most of the episode, ward it off as she does
    the world and those who would care for her, comfort her: we see this
    in the way she holds herself so tensely, the way she speaks in either
    clipped monotones or adolescent petulance, modes that precisely
    do not address the others to whom she speaks—modes that reject,
    foreclose, before they begin to utter a word, any response they
    may seek to make—

Here, Dawn is seeking to be autonomous, to have no relation to
    others, to bear to shaping intra-action with them or the world,
    fearing its damage... She does go after her mother's body, but
    she does so alone, and in doing so, she is going after that which
    cannot, can only give her muteness in return...

None of which is to say that I do not find that final image moving—
    I very much do, but what I find moving is that it performs precisely
    the reversal of the ending of IWMTLY: instead of the fall of
    Buffy's voice into a silence beyond silence, instead of the shattering
    that we hear beginning in the quaver of her voice, we are given,
    in the final scene of The Body, Dawn's thawing, her first
    opening again toward the world, her first call to it, her first
    gesture toward a reweaving within it:

First, where she had been resistant to touch (she suffered the
    comforting touch of others, but she was clearly shrinking away),
    here, she reaches toward her mother... In this—and here I am
    refining something I said above—she is not finding the negative
    space of the art class, nor is she seeking to ward it off as she
    did in the hallway, seeking to bar the alterity of her now-dead
    mother from becoming part of her. Instead, she is, in reaching
    out, seeking to bridge that negative space—not to find her
    living mother but to touch the presence of her absence in
    its trembling palpability, no longer bar its becoming-her...

Their hands do not meet, but this is and is not important: is
    and is not because that failure to make the crossing makes
    the present-absence yet more palpable, more real, thus
    imbued with a greater affective power to partake in her
    becoming, in her future to-come...

At the same time, Dawn speaks, and she speaks in a different
    voice, in a voice suffused with yearning, in a call that seaks
    response—and in a call addressed not to the dead, to that
    absolute silence, but to Buffy, to the living: she does not
    say "Where'd you go?" Does not address Joyce. She
    says "Where'd she go?"—addressing Buffy. That Buffy
    does not answer matters little. That question may have
    no answer, not one that would weave Dawn back into
    the self she knew... What matters here is that Dawn
    calls out, longingly, to the living—and even Buffy's
    silence is not absolute: it remains open to a possible
    response someday, in some words, some way, carries
    care, obligation. It receives Dawn's call, begins the
    reweaving of the world, the remaking, each in relation
    to the other and to the dead alterity become part of them—

(A dead alterity that Buffy, in Normal Again, will discover
    to be far from dead, given that the Unconscious knows no
    negation, thus no death... But that is another matter... )

All of which is to say, too, that Dawn finds no answers within
    herself—I would argue that, at this point, she finds no answers
    at all... She is making but the first experimental step in
    a new way of moving through the world... After all, if she
    had answers, she would not end up cutting school, lying to
    Buffy, feeling so alienating and incapable of relation with
    either Buffy or the world...

(It is for this reason, as well, that the ending of Forever
    much as it resonates with me on a sentimental level, given
    how much I doubt I would be here were it not for my sister—
    fails to resonate strongly within me: at the best, it is simply
    redundant, performing a closer, more embodied touch, an
    actual embrace, between Buffy and Dawn, combined with
    the words of comfort they could not speak—although I
    think they echoed through the silence of Buffy's attentive
    presence, her care—that the end of The Body
    adumbrates in a more complex, less cloying fashion...
    None of which is to say that I loathe it, just that in
    comparison to the episodes I have listed above, episodes
    that offer true events, events that enact radical, irreversible change*

Indeed, to extend this thought for just a moment, if the
    end of Forever, in a sense, completes Dawn's call
    and Buffy's silent response at the closing of The Body,
    it completes them only to the extent that it performs
    an actual physical embrace, an embrace woven through
    with words of reassurance...

But—

As I pointed out above, nothing actually happens here: Buffy
    and Dawn go through the motions, even, perhaps, seek to
    weave themselves into each other—but the "It's okay" makes
    nothing okay: Dawn skips school and lies, Buffy's dread of
    Glory and conviction of her certain failure to stop her build,
    indicating that all is out of joint between them, that they
    can but speak past each other without hearing... Moreover,
    I would argue, this gesture, beginning with Dawn's
    call in The Body but only fully given shape in Forever,
    sets up a certain pattern of approach and shrinking away,
    of longing and refusal, that will continue, in shifting forms,
    throughout S6, up until that point at which Buffy claws her
    way, again, out of a grave—and helps Dawn do so as well.
    Thus the seeming promise of Forever, its seeming event—
    that remains a pale, if thickened, delusion: the call, the response,
    the nearing, the attempting to attend, to take up for each
    other the obligation—all these things Dawn and Buffy will do
    again, again, again, in different shapes, with different words
    and gestures and tones, until, as I said, the final moments
    of S7. Until Grave. Until they both give themselves
    to fall into the space of death and find not answers within
    themselves
    but a possibility of living (for, arguably, neither
    had truly been living much over the course of the season) in
    their relation to each other, their obligation to each other, their
    gift to each other—in the place of death, the womb-like space
    of their mother...

Thus Forever merely repeats The Body and foreshadows
    the repeated failures to truly touch each other, the impossibility of
    doing more than speaking either past each other or in cliche phrases
    ("My most important job is taking care of you"—OaFA), even
    though they may embrace...

Conversely, briefly:

Fool for Love enacts an epochal change in Spike, as I elaborated
    fully above, in his relation to the William who never died, the Spike
    he sought to become, the world in which he (non)lives, the
    future in which he finally, souled, becomes able to move... (The chip
    stopped him from biting, so, perhaps, on a mechanical level, it
    began certain movements [but suspicious of absolute origins as I
    am, I would also point out that William's failure to die played
    a role as well... ])—although the affective force of Buffy's opening
    to him, of her acceptance of his awkward pats of care, of his
    listening—that turning toward of her silent, tear-strewn face will
    open possibility without determining its end: that turn leads not
    directly to Spike's soul-gaining, but it wedges for him a slippage
    out of the same self-containment that constitutes vampire life
    to another way of being in the world, a way of care—not fully
    obligation to the other, for vampires lack what that requires
    (see my review of Normal Again for more of that... )—but
    a slippage even in his experience of self, memory, body, touch,
    that gives, if not the future, if not the temporality and finitude
    of obligation, as least the faint, dissonant, irregular echo of
    it that will jaggedly, unpredictably unfold into care—

Conversely—

Giles' words to Buffy at the end of The Weight of the World, the
    violence they do to the lines, tangled as they can be, that she has taken
    to set a certain limit to her power and obligation as a Slayer—the violence
    they do to crucial shaping dimensions of self and world and, not least,
    the man who has taken the place of her father (I was so sure... I don't
    have that any more... I don't know how to live in the world if these are
    the choices...
    )—Giles's pronouncement enacts the first break, I would
    argue, in the bond between them, laid bare their ethical differences, the
    differences that shape the ways in which they move through the world...
    Again, the implications will take years to unfold, years in which neither
    the full break near the end of S7 nor the subsequent reconciliation are
    determined by what happens here... Both of them could have... Similarly,
    the scissions performed by Giles' words, the violences they do to Buffy, to her
    relation to her self and others—these tears will not be closed by her
    understanding of her Spirit Guide's message (an understanding that, again,
    is not something that Buffy finds within herself, is, rather, something that
    she finds in the inhabiting alterity of the Guide's words): ressurection,
    that crossing of what had seemed to be another secure boundary, the one
    between life and death, will delve and drag any certainty granted by her giving
    out from the most hidden crevices of her bones... And as the violence
    of her unsought return to life submits her once more to the violent cuts
    of self, relation, world, understanding that her giving may have soothed,
    so, too, do they awaken older traumas... Submits her to multiple
    dimensions of time and the sufferings they bear throughout S6.... Again, such
    suffering was not directly caused by the words of Giles—we are not
    in a Newtonian world any more—but those words were an event, irreversible,
    a charge that set off multiple possibilities, many of the worst, for endless
    reasons, many involving, too, the dynamics within and between her friends,
    came to shape Buffy's movement and stasis, foreclose her becoming for so long...

So—

We differ first in how we see the subject, you deeming her self-contained, holding
    all within herself (gathered, I suspect, from your other posts, at least in part, through
    her experiences), I deeming her becoming to be only in her relations with others and
    the world, to which she is obligated, such that all answers, if answers there be, arrive
    only through the self exposing herself, giving herself to alterity, to the other, its
    shaping forces, giving herself over in obligation, in care, being made even as she makes
    in turn...

And with regard to the endings, you most prize those that hold a self-contained affective
    moment, one in something occurs to the self, occurs in a way that she finds something
    within essential—

While I value most the address to the other, most especially those apostrophes that
    constitute an event, inerradicably alter the world—even though, much as the call shakes
    characters' foundations at the time, the full reverberations may not sound for years
    to come.... Most of all, events that engage matters of power and ethics, as these, to
    me, are fundamental to the workings of the final seasons, shape their unique gift, a
    gift sometimes imperfectly shaped yet, to my knowledge, not yet matched in television....

Heavens——!

I have nattered on so long...

This comes from having had no sleep, from having a host of
    ideas building up and no time to post them, from knowing
    a mass of complex poetics—ideas that, again, have been building
    up and now demand a working through—are sitting a few
    inches away from me, knowing that my head lacks the full
    brain to do so responsibly, knowing my body refuses to nap....

Apologies and thanks to all who have born with me to the end...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

Stoney (20-06-19)