Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Buffyverse Antagonist Relationship Game

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 2,283 Posts

Buffy vs Angel
    Angel vs Connor

What Dipstick said.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,691 Times in 5,681 Posts

The ending of Angel vs Connor is somewhat anticlimactic, but it is also part and parcel of how the dynamic was so layered and complex, I just can't vote them out. I find it hard to choose between the other two (I'm obviously going to vote for Buffy vs Angel as I think that should have gone out a couple of rounds ago). At the end of the day, as great and significant a relationship as it is, Buffy's and Faith's relationship is a little more predictable to me and has less complexity to it than Angel/Darla and Angel/Connor though I think.

Buffy vs Angel
    Buffy vs Faith

Thanks
    Thanked 9,202 Times in 2,794 Posts

I wanted Buffy vs Faith to win. I thought they were the defining antagonistic "frenemies" of the verse.

My picks;

Angel vs Connor
    Buffy vs Angel
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

Final round!!!!!!

"Close your eyes." We took out Buffy v. Angel.

Angel v. Connor: The discarded antagonist pairings are dead.
    Us: Like you.
    Angel v. Connor: No, discarded antagonist pairings are relationships with writing problems or lack of intense antagonism.
    Us: Like you.
    Angel v. Connor: No! It's different. Trust me.

Pick one pairing this time!

6. Angel v. Darla
    16. Buffy v. Faith

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

flow (08-03-19),Nina (07-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (07-03-19),Stoney (07-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (07-03-19)

Thanks

Angel v. Darla

Because as cool as Darla is, Buffy needs to win this thing!
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

Slayer
    Thanks

Buffy v. Faith produced more iconic moments of antagonism than Angel v. Darla. Their fights were more exciting. Also, I respect Angel and Darla as well-drawn characters but I have all of this cuddly affection for Buffy and Faith as characters. I'm going where my heart is.

So Angel v. Darla.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

Buffy v. Faith

Since the start I was rooting for Angel v. Darla. It has it all IMO.

There is antagonism. Despite the complex feelings they have for each other, there is always a certain conflict. Even in the flashbacks when both are soulless there are moments where they stab the other in the back. Plus the ending of the episode Darla tells us everything we need to know about Angel's feelings towards her siring him. She made him a vampire, she doomed him.

Their arc is fantastic. To Shanshu in LA, Dear Boy, Darla, The Trial, Reunion, Reprise and later on Lullaby are all beautiful episodes. Plus all the wonderful flashbacks. Sure the stuff in BtVS season 1 was not as good (especially Darla was a bit blah), but I forgive the writers because it was only the start of the 'verse. Darla showed us that she can be a wonderful (and very dangerous) antagonist in Ats season 2.

The character development. The character Angel stood still for 4 seasons, it was Darla that fired things up. His character needed this relation. Also in only a few episodes Darla became a pretty great character.

And the tragedy. We are reminded time after time how perfect they were for each other when they were soulless. In a certain way, they will never be whole again without the other. Angel might have loved other women more, but he will probably never have again what he had with Darla when they were both soulless. For 150 years they just clicked. Which makes the misunderstanding in Darla so heartbreaking. Them both being soulled was not enough to bring back 'the click'. Or maybe, in The Trial...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (07-03-19),Stoney (07-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (08-03-19)

Thanks

What Nina said about Angel v Darla (except I'd probably have gone for Angel v Connor or Angel v Spike to win if they'd survived ).

Buffy vs Faith I think their relationship is fantastic and deserved to get into the top slots, but it is more predictable and less complex than a few of the other relationships for me so I'm voting them off.

Thanks

I'm a bit torn, because both of these are amazing, and these are 4 of my 5 favorite characters in both shows.

But I was never too happy about the blatant Good Slayer/Bad Slayer contrast in season 3. FFS, they even had Buffy wear soccer mom clothes all of a sudden to make a bigger contrast to Faith. And there was also the "bad girl wears dark lipstick/good girl wears light lipstick" color coding, LOL. Plus, one of the signs of Faith leading Buffy 'astray' in Bad Girls was... the two of them dancing in a club? Really? And that after we had seen Buffy dance so many times before in the Bronze... but I guess the music had a stronger beat and that made all the difference?! Or is it because Faith was dancing with a couple of guys (uuuh, bad?).

So, I think I want Angel v Darla to win, and I vote against Buffy vs Faith.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

I vote against Angel/Darla.

Personally I think that Buffy/Faith should win. IMO they're the defining "frenemies"/"rivals"/"antagonists" of the verse. Their rivalry was a huge defining aspect of their relationship from the moment Faith appeared in "Faith, Hope & Trick" and I agree with Dipstick that their fights were always the most exciting. I personally adore them but, objectively, I also can't really think of any other pairing that defines antagonism and rivalry the way I think Buffy vs Faith does. They were the clear winner for me from the very beginning. Even when they were making peace they acknowledged that maybe by virtue of even existing at the same time it was inevitable that they'd be rivals - "Maybe that's why you and I could never get along. There was only ever supposed to be one"
    Last edited by vampmogs; 08-03-19 at 11:55 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (08-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 1,663 Posts

Against Angel/Darla. Buffy/Faith should win this.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Slayer
    Thanks

That's right, Angel v. Darla. Go *towards* the bleeding antagonist pairings because that's smart!

We saw who landed on top. I think it had to be *exactly* like this. Buffy v. Faith won this game!!!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

flow (08-03-19),Rebcake (09-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (08-03-19),Stoney (08-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (08-03-19)

Thanks

I really enjoyed this Dipstick, it was great to do a game with a different approach and your summaries of who was out each time were gold.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (08-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (08-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (09-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I really enjoyed this Dipstick, it was great to do a game with a different approach and your summaries of who was out each time were gold.
    Thank you! This was a lot of fun.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 1,663 Posts

Dipstick:
    We saw who landed on top. I think it had to be *exactly* like this. Buffy v. Faith won this game!!!
    Hurray!

This was a very entertaining game but the best thing about it were your farewell words to every eliminated pairing. Thanks a lot!

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (08-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (08-03-19),Stoney (09-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (09-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

Thanks for hosting this game Dipstick.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (08-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (08-03-19),Stoney (09-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (09-03-19)

Thanks

Yay

Great game! Thanks for coming up with it Dipstick

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 811 Posts

This was a fabulous game! And your summaries were just terrific fun
    buffylover made this stunning banner

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (08-03-19),Stoney (09-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (09-03-19)

Thanks

The game was fun, but the summaries were my favorite part.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (09-03-19),Stoney (09-03-19)