Thread: The Resident Evil franchise has ended up as A grade shit!

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Thumbs down The Resident Evil franchise has ended up as A grade shit!

Since 2005, it has been mostly a duller-than-dishwater shooter series that pretty much just milks the franchise to death, and they only use the main characters because, well, they're the main characters. There's zero tension any more because these people you play as have done this 4381 times already. What's scary about that? After the main villain "Wesker" died in 5, the series has only had crappy one off villains.

[Albert] Wesker was one of the main reasons people loved the old games. He was so mysterious, and you wanted to know what he would get up to in the next game. In 5, he was just portrayed as a bafoonish 'God' like persona, out for world domination, and lacked the coolness he had in prior games.

4, 5 and 6 aren't scary RE games in the slightest. The Revelations games are okay, but sort of carry on that same trend as 4 up to now. And 7 at least TRIED to be scary, but it was just a bad rip off of the Leatherface movies, and other films too. The story was also vastly unrelated to the other games...until you play the additional downloadable stuff, then it reveals that Umbrella (the company that caused all of the earliest outbreaks) is somehow back, but now they use a blue logo, and apparently could be on the good side now. WTF x 100?

Plus...Chris was in a lot of games. He was in 1, Code: Veronica, The Umbrella Chronicles, 5, 6, Revelations and also 7. He is also in the animated movie, called Vendetta. But in 7, Capcom made him look like a 25 year old douche turd. Not the muscular freak he had been over the past several years, who looked about 50-ish by now. He looks and sounds like a pussy...

God! What the hell has Capcom done? And the remake of 2 is just overrated garbage as well, and since it is a reimagined game, it is not canonical, and hereby does nothing for the series at all. There's no door loading scenes, head mashing, or anything that reminds me of 90's survival horror games I grew up admiring, like the original RE2 and the Silent Hill games as well. It is basically RE4 again, but with a RE2 coat.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Saunders View Post
    [Albert] Wesker was one of the main reasons people loved the old games. He was so mysterious, and you wanted to know what he would get up to in the next game. In 5, he was just portrayed as a bafoonish 'God' like persona, out for world domination, and lacked the coolness he had in prior games.
    Was he though? He had died in first and I haven't cared about his fate in the slightest. His resurrection and appearance in 4th and especially 5th haven't impressed me at all. Especially in 5th where he was shitty Neo rip off.

As for series as a whole it never was scary for me. Not like Silent hill 1-2, or Dead Space for example. But I like it despite all the nonsense like hot lava in castle's catacombs or Chris punching a rock that weights about 10 metric tons. They aren't particularly good games, but their gameplay fits well to my tastes.