Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ship clusters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 1,276 Posts

Ahhh a fellow Pete/Peggy and Pete/Trudy fan! Although I must admit that my love for Peggy and Pete has a lot to do with the actors having loads of chemistry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (30-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Ahhh a fellow Pete/Peggy and Pete/Trudy fan! Although I must admit that my love for Peggy and Pete has a lot to do with the actors having loads of chemistry.
    But I dark!ship Pete/Peggy. Because:

Pete: What do you want from me? I'm married.
    Peggy: Yes, and I know how....confusing that can be. Maybe you need me to lie on your couch and clear that up for you.

LOLOLOLOL.

I love how S1 bonds Pete and Peggy so fundamentally with a child and then Pete hurts her so deeply in S1 and she hurts him so deeply in S2. And then, the next five seasons of the show have them figuring out how to be amicable co-workers and even allies and friends but in a background, non-melodramatic way. Their romance and child is something they have to get past but it's also what's created the unlikely office relationship between accountman and secretary/creative in the first place. Their relationship is even more intriguing because Don is in the middle of their triangle but it's certainly not a love triangle. Really great stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Nina (31-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Actors having chemistry is always a big part of why people ship anything. While nothing kills a ship so surely as actors having no chemistry.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

It's a testament to how Vincent Kartheiser is awesome and managed to create two favorite characters of mine in Pete and Connor even if both get lots of hate from the broader world. As Pete Campbell, VK had awesome chemistry with Elisabeth Moss, Allison Brie, the actress who played Bonnie the Real Estate Agent, and his ACTUAL wife Alexis Bledel. It's a great feature of the show because I'm remembering his excellent dynamic with one night stands: the "You're my king" prostitute, the definitely a Marilyn model impressed by the fact that his job title had "executive" in it even though he's powerless, the German au pair who he blackmailed into sex. But I just really like the romance in Mad Men because the show writes a LOT of romantic relationships but hardly anything is romantic.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Nina (31-01-19),StateOfSiege97 (31-01-19),TriBel (31-01-19)

Thanks

Spoiler:

Sorry just couldn't resist

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (31-01-19),flow (31-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (01-02-19),TimeTravellingBunny (31-01-19),TriBel (01-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Spoiler:

Sorry just couldn't resist
    Spoiler:

You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

KingofCretins (01-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (01-02-19),Stoney (01-02-19),TriBel (01-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,858 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Spoiler:

This post settled the matter. Internet won.

Banner by LRae12

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (01-02-19)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    From what I've seen, if someone ships Spuffy, they're pretty much guaranteed to ship LoVe. I'm still to see a Spuffy shipper who dislikes LoVe. But the opposite is not necessarily true, because there are also Bangel shippers who ship LoVe - I just don't know if the correlation is that strong, that is, if I knew someone was a Bangel fan, if I could say "You're gonna love LoVe on VM, I'm sure." But LoVe is definitely the most popular ship in the Veronica Mars fandom, and its alternatives are not all that exciting. The show tried to make Veronica/Duncan into an OTP, but they had no chemistry.
    On the other hand, I know people who hate LoVe...but they also dislike both Spuffy and Bangel.

Of course, in spite of general tendencies, there are individual preferences that don't match. Sometimes some people who are big shippers of ships I love also really ship something I dislike. For instance, I know a couple of people who ship Bellarke on The 100, which I love, and Olicity on Arrow, which I can't stand (and those two ships aren't even remotely similar, so it could go either way). Or, some fans who ship some other ships I love are fans of Reylo, which always weirds me out.
    Spuffy is my otp of all time, but I can't stand LoVe. But yes, I know I'm in the minority.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to seekingoutfriday For This Useful Post:

flow (21-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,711 Posts

Nina:
    Especially because JKR stated a few years ago that she doesn't believe that Ron & Hermione would make a good married couple and prefers Harry & Hermione now. Which probably means that she is also no longer a big fan of Harry/Ginny.
    I am currently reading the first book to my seven year old and it did indeed come to my mind how very weird it is, that Harry should end up with the fangirl he meets at Kings Cross Station on his very first trip to Hogwarts, when she is only nine or so. Add to this that Hermione and Ron also end up with each other and you get the impression that none of them evolves anymore after their 13t birthday. The answer would probably not be to pair Harry and Hermione instead of Harry and Ginny but to have all four of them meet new people at some point of their life.

flow

- - - Updated - - -

seekingoutfriday:
    She just said Ron and Hermione wouldn't work out.
    Which -I think - explains why there are so many Dramione fics .

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 1,276 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Nina:

I am currently reading the first book to my seven year old and it did indeed come to my mind how very weird it is, that Harry should end up with the fangirl he meets at Kings Cross Station on his very first trip to Hogwarts, when she is only nine or so. Add to this that Hermione and Ron also end up with each other and you get the impression that none of them evolves anymore after their 13t birthday. The answer would probably not be to pair Harry and Hermione instead of Harry and Ginny but to have all four of them meet new people at some point of their life.

flow
    I do think it's realistic they married people they already met in the books. JKR wrote the magical community as a rather conservative and small one. There is only one school and people marry young, so it makes sense that most of them married their 'highschool sweetheart'. Plus the war, if you went through so much together it might be harder to share it with a person who was never part of it.

That all said, I do wish they all ended up with somebody completely different.

Oh and have fun reading it with your kid. Hopefully they love the series. ^^

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 837 Posts

Well, because I am older than dirt I shipped K/S back when Star Trek came out. This was in the height of glorious fandom before the movies and the spinoffs. Back then conventions were fan run and non profit. ST stars came for travel fare and a chance to meet actual fans. Cosplay was in it's infancy but there were costume parades and competitions. I ran into my first K/S stories when I was in college and I shipped them hard ever after.

I haven't really shipped anything seriously until BTVS, although I tend to light ship male characters together - particularly in K-dramas. I like Athelstan/Ragnar from Vikings. I adore Phillipe/Chevalire in Versaille - but I adore Phillipe. History is filled with strong gay men if you look.

In Buffy I ship Spike/Angel but I low ship Spike with Giles, Wesley and Xander. My other ship is Wesley/Lilah. That's probably my only het ship but it's seriously sexual and between two people who should not work together. I really wish Wesley had stayed with Lilah. She challenged him and forced him out of his comfort zone.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (22-02-19)