Thread: Closed l Challenge 79: The Masters of the Low Countries

Thanks
    Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default Closed l Challenge 79: The Masters of the Low Countries

After a challenge about the odd Dutch phenomenon of skating 200 km in Frysia, I dare to make you look at this small part of the world again. My apologies. Here in The Netherlands we celebrate Rembrandt in 2019 because he died 350 years ago and at first I wanted to do a Rembrandt challenge. But I didn't want to limit you all too much. So challenge #79 will be all about seven famous different painters from the Low Countries (The Netherlands and Belgium).

Chalenge 79: The Masters of the Low Countries

The Challenge:

Use something of the artist in your own work. You can do that by taking a painting, drawing or sketch and incorporating that in your wallpaper or blend. If you do that, make sure it is recognizable and explain why that piece of art fits your entry. But you don't literally have to use their work. You can also use the same colours, the same topic, the same lighting or another aspect of their work. Painting or drawing something is also an option of course, as long you can explain why the painter you picked inspired you.

The Painters:

1. Jan van Eyck (1390-1441)
    A representative of the early Northern Renaissance. He was one of the greatest painters of his time and still people are in awe when they see his work. His works of art are mostly portraits and altarpieces. He is also famous for his use of paint. He invented new techniques that made his work stand out and inspire younger generations of Dutch and Flemish painters.

Spoiler:

Some famous paintings by Van Eyck:

The Arnolfini Portrait

The Ghent Altarpiece

The Madonna in the Church

2. Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516)
    Another representative of the early Dutch painting school. Like Van Eyck he used religion as a topic in his work (and even made ornaments for the cathedral of his town 's-Hertogenbosch). But his aim wasn't realism. Bosch is mostly known for his fantastical creatures and settings.

Spoiler:

Some famous paintings by Hieronymus Bosch:

The Garden of Early Delights

The Last Judgement

Visions of the Hereafter

3. Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640)
    And our next station is the most famous representative of the Flemish Baroque. I don't think it's an exaggeration when I say that Rubens is one of the greatest artists of all time. There is a certain movement in his paintings most artists can only dream of. Plus he could paint pretty much anything. Rubens made alterpieces, landscapes, portraits and paintings based on myths, historical events or the bible. Plus he made fabulous drawings. But most famous are his naked women.

Spoiler:

Some paintings by Peter Paul Rubens:

The Three Graces

The Old Woman and Boy with Candles

The Fall of Phaeton

4. Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669)
    Like Rubens, Rembrandt could paint anything. But he might have been even better. The realism, the use of light, the boldness to portray the world the way it is, the colours and his painting technique... he was special. The National Museum in the Netherlands (Het Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam) is build like a cathedral for Rembrandt. And the alterpiece is Rembrandt's Night Watch. I guess that says enough about how much the Dutch value Rembrandt as an artist.

Spoiler:

Some of Rembrandt's paintings:

The Night Watch

The Bearded Old Man

Rembrandt himself

5. Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675)
    The other Dutch giant from the 17th century. He is called the master of light. People suspect that he might have archieved the perfect colours to translate light to the canvas by using a camera obscura. Making Vermeer possibly an artist who combined modern science with the old arts. But whatever he did, his work is still considered some of the best. His subject was usually the city Delft and the people from the middleclass who lived there.

Spoiler:

Some of Vermeer's paintings:

View of Delft

The Milk Maid

The Girl with the Pearl Earring

6. Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890)
    A small jump in time brings us to the true tragedy of the Dutch arts. Unlike the other painters, Van Gogh's work wasn't popular during his lifetime. He never knew that he is now considered one of the greatest artists of all time. Van Gogh was a post-impressionist and made many paintings with often bright colours. His paintings were often landscapes, still lives and portraits.

Spoiler:

Three of Van Gogh's paintings:

Skull of a Skeleton with Burning Cigarette

The Starry Night

Almond Blossom

7. Piet Mondriaan (1872-1944)
    One of the first representatives of the abstract art and one of the finest artists of the 20th century. During his lifetime his artwork became more and more abstract until he ended up with the iconic Boogie Woogies.

Spoiler:

Notable work by Mondriaan:

The Grey Tree

Broadway Boogie Wooogie

Victoria Boogie Woogie

The Rules:

Fandoms/Subjects: Anything, but please explain. I've not read or seen everything after all.
    Requirements: Tell us which painting or drawing you used/were inspired by. Even better, link to/post the drawing/painting.
    Sizes: Anything bigger than 400x400.
    Deadline: Let's do 6 weeks, March 12th will be the final day.

Good luck!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (29-01-19),Priceless (29-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),Stoney (30-01-19),TriBel (29-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,777 Times in 3,210 Posts

2. Bosch

The thing that struck me about The Last Judgement were the colours, especially the pink.

Spoiler:

Screencaps - Wallpaperswide, Hipwallpaper
    Last edited by Priceless; 05-02-19 at 05:19 PM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (04-02-19),Double Dutchess (12-03-19),Nina (05-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),Stoney (05-02-19),TriBel (04-02-19)

Thanks

I moved the conversation to another thread. Please don't use challenge threads for chats about a different topic.

Thanks for the entries Priceless. Your first entry is an awesome manipulation, really impressive. Although I do want to ask you and everybody else to make a difference between using a part of somebody's art to make something new and altering the work made by somebody else.

Thanks

1. Jan van Eyck

From the Arnolfini painting I have used the colour green of the dress, the circular nature of the mirror and the nature of the couple in the painting

Spoiler:

Screencap - btvsscreenshots

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (07-02-19),Double Dutchess (12-03-19),flow (Yesterday),Nina (07-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),Stoney (07-02-19)

Thanks

I figured I gave this thread a kick since the deadline is in less than a week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (07-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,092 Times in 4,940 Posts

I have a piece in mind that I'm hoping I'll pull together in time for the 12th.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (08-03-19)

Thanks

I can always add an extra week if time is the issue. ^^

Thanks

Thanks Nina, I'll holler if I struggle to make time for it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (08-03-19)

Graveyard Patrol Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 397 Posts

So many great paintings here, but I've always loved the unlimited imagination of Jeroen Bosch. For years I've had a poster of the Garden of Earthly Delights on the wall in my office at work. I bought it in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, where I was lucky enough to see the original. All those wondrous creatures; you just keep discovering new delights in this amazing painting.

Anyway, this painting was the inspiration for my contribution, and in particular the Hell panel. Here, we see Angel in Hell, being tortured by Bosch' delightful little monsters:

Spoiler:

Click here for the original wallpaper, size 1920x1080.
    Last edited by Double Dutchess; 12-03-19 at 06:46 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

buffylover (17-03-19),flow (12-03-19),Nina (12-03-19),Priceless (12-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),Stoney (12-03-19)

Thanks

Shedding Light

Credits: quote - Brené Brown, brushes - daydreaming (click pic for full size)

I loved the use of contrast and light in Ruben's Old Woman and Boy with Candles. I looked at some more of his works and found The Descent from the Cross another strong example of this (I've linked all three under the spoiler below as my references). I also noticed in that alongside the Old Woman and Boy, that Ruben seems to favour using blue and red alongside natural colours, creams/browns. The painting made me think of Spike and Dawn breaking into the Magic Box when she wanted to find out what everyone was hiding from her. The thematic tie of discovery as they investigated by flashlight/candlelight in that scene always appealed to me and the lighting in Ruben's being with candles just brought that scene to mind straight away. I was really pleased then to notice when taking screen shots that the colours Ruben favoured in the references I was using were in the scene too. So I tried to create a piece that hopefully uses/emphasises the lighting contrasts and leans on the use of the reds/blues alongside the natural hues to give it a bit of a Ruben feel.

Ruben references
    Spoiler:

Old Woman and Boy with Candles

The Descent from the Cross (triptych closed/outer panels)

The Descent from the Cross (triptych open/inner panels)
    Last edited by Stoney; 13-03-19 at 12:38 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (17-03-19),Double Dutchess (12-03-19),Nina (12-03-19),Priceless (12-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday)

Thanks

Woops, I missed my own deadline. But this challenge is closed. Thank you for the entries and feedback will follow soon.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (15-03-19)

Thanks

Time for feedback!

First, thank you for the entries. I was glad to see these creative entries.

Priceless
    I noticed that you removed one of your entries. I understand why you did, but I want to repeat that I was impressed by your manip. It was really well done and I loved the concept.

The concept of your Bosch entry remains a bit of a mystery to me though. Is it a dream setting? I do like that you went for the pink colour, brave too. Pink is a very hard colour to work with while there were so many 'easy' colour palettes this challenge. Great choice. And while I don't think it was intentional, you did went with the classic triangle composition, which is a nice. Although I would advice to search for a focus point and try to make that one stand out. While Buffy is in the middle and the most natural eye catcher, she loses a bit of power because of the big pink splashes. Those are darker while everything else is rather light and thus they draw the eye. But it's a unique and creative wallpaper anyway. Thanks!

Your Van Eyck one is simple but I like how much you thought about the concept. The minimalism works and I do think it makes a powerful couple with the beautiful green. Some visuals don't need more than a good colour and a beautiful composition. The cap/still tells an interesting story. Too bad the quality of the cap or still is lacking a bit, creating visible pixels.

Double Dutchess
    What a great idea and a wonderful execution of that concept! The creatures by Bosch you put in there and their interaction with Angel are brilliant to watch. I'm especially in love with the talking one that leans on him while watching the knight stab Angel. <3 Too bad that you couldn't find a sharper picture of Angel, it would've made the interaction with the HQ creatures even stronger. The disturbing images by Bosch in the back complete the wallpaper btw, even without the text it is clear that he is in hell.

Stoney
    The first thing that I thought when I sw you entry was: great composition! Everything draws the eye to Dawn's shocked face. The colours and the lighting are both very pleasant to look at. Considering the challenge and your inspiration I do wonder if you tried to make the contrast between light and dark even more dramatic? Because I suspect it might've given the wallpaper even a bit more oomph and I'm curious how that would've worked out. It could've made the image even more of an eye-catcher, but it might have been too harsh. There is a certainly serenity in this wallpaper and it would've been a pity it was lost. Anyway, great wallpaper.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday),Stoney (Yesterday)

Thanks

I noticed that you removed one of your entries. I understand why you did, but I want to repeat that I was impressed by your manip. It was really well done and I loved the concept.

The concept of your Bosch entry remains a bit of a mystery to me though. Is it a dream setting? I do like that you went for the pink colour, brave too. Pink is a very hard colour to work with while there were so many 'easy' colour palettes this challenge. Great choice. And while I don't think it was intentional, you did went with the classic triangle composition, which is a nice. Although I would advice to search for a focus point and try to make that one stand out. While Buffy is in the middle and the most natural eye catcher, she loses a bit of power because of the big pink splashes. Those are darker while everything else is rather light and thus they draw the eye. But it's a unique and creative wallpaper anyway. Thanks!

Your Van Eyck one is simple but I like how much you thought about the concept. The minimalism works and I do think it makes a powerful couple with the beautiful green. Some visuals don't need more than a good colour and a beautiful composition. The cap/still tells an interesting story. Too bad the quality of the cap or still is lacking a bit, creating visible pixels.
    Thank you so much for the feedback Nina, it is very much apprectiated

That manip was the first one I'd ever done, and while I liked it at first, the more I looked at it the less sense it made. If I could have found an Angel face that fitted I would have been much happier, though Darla looked better than I'd hoped.

Why do you say pink is a difficult colour to work with? I know so little about art, I just go for the colours I like and I like pink. That's why I went for the splashes, because I just loved the colour and the formation of the splash. You are right, there is no actual meaning behind it at all, it's just showing my love of the colour pink.

For some reason, everything I do on Gimp looks good, then when I upload it onto the site, it never looks as good. The pixels show, the size is wrong etc. I try to find the largest caps I can, and often make them myself from the Buffy HD version, but still they appear differently when uploaded. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing to Photoshop, in the hopes the quality improves.

Thank you so much for a wonderful challenge. I really enjoyed it, and hope you do more. I wish I had more time to create as it is fun.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Nina (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    That manip was the first one I'd ever done, and while I liked it at first, the more I looked at it the less sense it made. If I could have found an Angel face that fitted I would have been much happier, though Darla looked better than I'd hoped.
    The Darla one was lovely. <3

Why do you say pink is a difficult colour to work with?
    Always use colours you like, in the end that it's all about having fun making stuff. And using things you love helps a lot with that. ^^

I find pink (at least the harsher shades) a colour that quickly dominates the canvas. It's great for highlighting certain aspects (same with by example turquoise) but if everything is pink I find it hard to create a focus point. Plus not all pictures look good on a pink background.

For some reason, everything I do on Gimp looks good, then when I upload it onto the site, it never looks as good. The pixels show, the size is wrong etc. I try to find the largest caps I can, and often make them myself from the Buffy HD version, but still they appear differently when uploaded. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing to Photoshop, in the hopes the quality improves.
    I wish I could help you, but while I do recognize the problem.... I've no idea what causes it. I don't think it is GIMP though. I've had the same with PS. But you can always give it a try, Adobe usually offers a free trial. So you can check if it's worth the transfer.

Thank you so much for a wonderful challenge. I really enjoyed it, and hope you do more. I wish I had more time to create as it is fun.
    Thank you for entering 50% ( ) of the entries.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    The first thing that I thought when I sw you entry was: great composition! Everything draws the eye to Dawn's shocked face. The colours and the lighting are both very pleasant to look at. Considering the challenge and your inspiration I do wonder if you tried to make the contrast between light and dark even more dramatic? Because I suspect it might've given the wallpaper even a bit more oomph and I'm curious how that would've worked out. It could've made the image even more of an eye-catcher, but it might have been too harsh. There is a certainly serenity in this wallpaper and it would've been a pity it was lost. Anyway, great wallpaper.
    Thanks for the feedback Nina.

I was amused that you wondered about the degree of contrast between the light/dark in my piece because my final tweaks were putting that up/down constantly until I finally settled. I felt that Ruben's Old Woman piece had a softness to it that was a little lighter on the contrast than the Descent from the Cross piece and with the candlelight link that is perhaps part of what steered me to reduce it a little. The piece definitely could take more, and whilst that did work with the 'shock' of what was revealed to her, I felt at the time that giving that more visual emphasis in the scene did take something away from the overall tone that went with the quiet, secretive nature of what they were doing too, the mission by candlelight, and made her shock a little too stark perhaps. It became a little too 'dun dun duuuuun' rather than introspective maybe. But then maybe it would have better met with the aspect of asserting yourself and the bravery/courage of that too, as well as putting emphasis on the fact that what she found out was such a surprise and such a huge moment. I don't know, I just kept adding it and reducing it and couldn't quite pick but that was where I ended up. It would have worked with more I think, just a little differently than I opted for.

I have to say Nina that your challenges are so thoughtful and interesting and I often feel frustrated to only find the time to get a single entry together. You offer so many different sources for inspiration that I could probably keep coming back to them and trying a new piece a few times over before I was struggling for ideas. It always seems such a shame to archive them when they offer so much more to try. I appreciate though that leaving them open for vast amounts of time would leave the section very quiet, potentially lacking any movement, and so starting new ones even if there were few entries is probably best. It would be nice to revisit them again in the future though and I hope that we do.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Nina.

I was amused that you wondered about the degree of contrast between the light/dark in my piece because my final tweaks were putting that up/down constantly until I finally settled. I felt that Ruben's Old Woman piece had a softness to it that was a little lighter on the contrast than the Descent from the Cross piece and with the candlelight link that is perhaps part of what steered me to reduce it a little. The piece definitely could take more, and whilst that did work with the 'shock' of what was revealed to her, I felt at the time that giving that more visual emphasis in the scene did take something away from the overall tone that went with the quiet, secretive nature of what they were doing too, the mission by candlelight, and made her shock a little too stark perhaps. It became a little too 'dun dun duuuuun' rather than introspective maybe. But then maybe it would have better met with the aspect of asserting yourself and the bravery/courage of that too, as well as putting emphasis on the fact that what she found out was such a surprise and such a huge moment. I don't know, I just kept adding it and reducing it and couldn't quite pick but that was where I ended up. It would have worked with more I think, just a little differently than I opted for.

Ah, thank you. I already kind of hoped you tried that out.

I have to say Nina that your challenges are so thoughtful and interesting and I often feel frustrated to only find the time to get a single entry together. You offer so many different sources for inspiration that I could probably keep coming back to them and trying a new piece a few times over before I was struggling for ideas. It always seems such a shame to archive them when they offer so much more to try. I appreciate though that leaving them open for vast amounts of time would leave the section very quiet, potentially lacking any movement, and so starting new ones even if there were few entries is probably best. It would be nice to revisit them again in the future though and I hope that we do.
    That is nice to hear.

About the challenges. I suspect that we need to start brainstorming about a new set-up for challenges anyway. The amount of entries and the few people signing up as host forced us to, if we want to contnue with challenges at least. I'll open a thread.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Yesterday)