4 18.18%
  • I'm not going to discuss BOOM! BtVS on BF

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOM! BtVS 1.01

Thanks

Default BOOM! BtVS 1.01

BOOM! BtVS 1.01 bullet points and analysis.

I LIKED IT. I’ll perhaps do a longer bullet points and analysis depending on the discussion interest regarding the BOOM! BtVS comics.

* None of the character’s race is changed.

* We don’t know how old Buffy and Co. is and even what year of high school they are in.

* We don’t get a sense of how long Buffy’s been the Slayer. It seems Giles is her first Watcher, but that could change. Buffy’s been with Giles for 3 weeks and the school year is only in its first week.

* I like the way Buffy and Willow are dressed.

Willow is dressed sexier and ‘hipper’ than her early BtVS S1 counterpart and she seems openly gay. Albeit Willow’s looks, sexiness, dress, and smarts makes it odd that Xander is her only friend prior to when they befriend Buffy.

Buffy dresses in jeans and seems always dressed for Slaying. In the TV series, Sarah Michelle Gellar’s wearing micro-miniskirts and even wearing such clothing at night always seemed simply for the male audience.

* Angel and Cordelia are not in the Issue and not mentioned in the Issue.

* Buffy seems middle class and possibly even lower middle class. She has a job, which implies she must be at least 15 years old, maybe even 16 years old. She’s probably a Sophomore or Junior in high school.

* We don’t yet get a sense of how smart Buffy, Willow, and Xander are.

* Anya runs a magic shop and Anya is clearly evil. She sells items to Wolfram & Hart. We get no sense if she’s a vengeance demon.

* Vampire Willow possibly exists? Though if Drusilla and Spike are arriving soon, each alone is much more formidable and powerful than Vampire Willow was in the TV Buffyverse.

* Buffy looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar, is athletic, and isn’t poor. I’m not sure it makes sense she’s friendless and assumes it’d be very difficult to make friends.

* So far, there’s no Social Justice Warrior stuff.

EDIT:

* The artwork is great. Much better than some of Georges Jeanty's work but maybe not as good as Rebekah Isaacs's work.

* This Issue seems very focused on "exposition dumps". Essentially, this seems like the equivalent of both "Welcome to the Hellmouth" (B 1.01) and "The Harvest" (B 1.02) rolled into a single comic book Issue, except there are arguably even more elements packed in. The dialog seems to suffer because of all this set-up. I hope the dialog in future Issues is better.

* I don't mind the no Angel and no Cordelia.
    Last edited by MikeB; 23-01-19 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added stuff

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

Dinza (03-03-19),flow (23-01-19),Priceless (23-01-19),Silver1 (23-01-19)

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

Very solid start. Introduced Buffy, Glies, Xander, Willow, Anya and I think that’s Drusilla on the last page. The art is nice and it seems to be laying down the groundwork, so not many great character interactions yet. I wonder who Willow’s girlfriend will be, and if it will be Tara.

I guess the only thing that feels “missing” is meaningful character interactions, but to be fair Buffy only just met Xander and Willow in this issue and she’s only known Giles three weeks. So far Anya is the most interesting character.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (23-01-19),flow (23-01-19),Priceless (23-01-19),Silver1 (23-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (23-01-19),Stoney (23-01-19),TriBel (23-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,132 Times in 997 Posts

I'm undecided but leaning towards not reading. I'm not sure I want both a brand new tv Buffy AND comic Buffy that are different from each other.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (23-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,692 Times in 4,179 Posts

Can someone tell me what Xander was texting? I saw the page once and now I can't find it again and it was really interesting!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (23-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Can someone tell me what Xander was texting? I saw the page once and now I can't find it again and it was really interesting!
    On his blog? "I know I should be happy. Maybe I can be happy, though just around the right people".

Oh...and I think I like it!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (23-01-19),Priceless (24-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    Very solid start. Introduced Buffy, Glies, Xander, Willow, Anya and I think that’s Drusilla on the last page. The art is nice and it seems to be laying down the groundwork, so not many great character interactions yet. I wonder who Willow’s girlfriend will be, and if it will be Tara.

I guess the only thing that feels “missing” is meaningful character interactions, but to be fair Buffy only just met Xander and Willow in this issue and she’s only known Giles three weeks. So far Anya is the most interesting character.
    It was really an agreeable read! I was pleased. I didn't find myself having any trouble following the tune; it's a blues riff in B, watch them for the changes, and try to keep up.

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the little hat tips to Mutant Enemy, from Anya watching "Firefly" in her office to Xander literally going "grr argh".

Guess I'm a little concerned about Xander - the way it reads to me is he is in his own world on a message board/reddit/social media whatever and he sounds like he's a little depressed. That gives an interesting avenue for topical storytelling, but at the same time, I don't want them to go round trying to kill my dude off as a cautionary tale or something stupid. After all, I've already announced "And now my watch begins" on all my old 'shipper pinings

Although... uh, anyone else realize that Xander actually was the author of every word of inner monologue in this issue?

Banner by LRae12

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (24-01-19),flow (23-01-19),Priceless (24-01-19),TriBel (24-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,108 Posts

More Buffy # 1 reviews

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-vampire-sl...-comic-review/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 is the Fresh Start the Franchise Needs

by Matt Lune
    – on Jan 23, 2019

Back, once again, to the Hellmouth, for the first time.

It’s fair to say there was some trepidation going into this new start for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The transition from Dark Horse (the home of Buffy comics for close to 20 years) to BOOM! Studios meant a reboot, a term that doesn’t always sit easily with fans. With talks of a new beginning on the small screen for the Slayer, too, it seemed as though Joss Whedon’s shining star was no longer sacred. While the cult TV series ended in 2003, its world continued 2007 with Dark Horse's canonical Season 8. That ran until last year, when Fox pulled the comics license with Season 12. This BOOM! relaunch has more than two decades of continuity to contend with. Does it stand a chance?

Yes, actually: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 is amazing, relevant and important. It feels immediately as if readers have been thrown back to the beginning, permitting them to experience it all over again. It's quintessentially "Buffy’" in a way that later seasons weren't. Writer Jordie Bellaire and artist Dan Mora are clearly using the TV series as a starting block, before sprinting off in their own direction, the seeds of which are planted here.

With the (unfounded, in retrospect) trepidation also came the questions: Is this a new universe? Is this a full reboot or a soft relaunch? Will it be all-new characters or something familiar? The answers become clear as you work through this issue. This is all-new, but it’s also familiar. It’s a full reboot, right back to the beginning, but it’s set in 2019. Everything you know and love about Buffy -- the world, the characters, the humor, the heart -- are all here, but it all feels strange and, well, new. If you read the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comics from BOOM!, you may be familiar with this feeling, as those comics pull off something similar, offering new takes on the setting, characters and stories beloved by fans.

There are a few cheeky nods here and there to what’s come previously: Xander’s “Grr. Argh” as he imitates a vampire; Buffy telling Willow that “even she” could be a witch if she wanted to be; Willow asking about werewolves. Yet there’s nothing that goes out of the way to appeal to longtime fans. It would be jarring if the past were repeatedly referenced in tongue-in-cheek ways. This is a new beginning for everyone involved, and Bellaire embraces that.

That’s not to say there aren’t things for longtime fans to love, however; the issue welcomes them with a warm hug. The faces and places look the same, and the character talk and behave the way we remember. The script has that perfect balance between weight and wisecracks, and the characters -- Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles (plus a few surprising faces) -- are all there like you want them to be. Mora’s art goes a long way to making this feel like home, too. The original actors have clearly been referenced, but not to the detriment of Mora’s wonderfully expressive style. There’s no awful photorealism; instead, this has the essence of the actors without literally lifting from scenes of the show. Mora injects energy into the characters that bring them to life in brand new ways, and the beautiful details in the establishing shots -- not to mention the backgrounds to every scene -- make it clear that Sunnydale is going to be as much a character as any of the cast.

It would be easy for Bellaire to retread old ground with this series, and especially in this opening arc, but to her credit, there are multiple times in this issue where we veer drastically from its source. This is a new start in every way, and while it’s fun to witness past events unfold all over again -- the growing bond between Buffy and Giles, which is still so cold and confrontational here; the development of Xander and Willow’s characters, already markedly different from what we know -- what’s more exciting is seeing what is done now that the slate truly is clean.

With this unpredictability is an energy that's not been felt in this franchise in years. Even the later seasons of the show didn’t shine as brightly as this issue, which might be considered sacrilegious in some circles, but nevertheless true. Whether you’re a new fan or old, reading through this debut feels like the first exciting step on a new adventure. Welcome back to the Hellmouth, Buffy. We’ve missed you.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01...layer-1-review

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Gets a Much-Needed Fresh Start (Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 Review)

Still slaying after all these years.

By Jesse Schedeen

BOOM! Studios is taking a fairly risky approach to its first Buffy comic. Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 isn't a continuation of the long-running sequel saga Dark Horse published from 2007 through 2018. Nor is it a tie-in to the original TV series. It's instead a complete reboot that overhauls the Buffy mythos for 2019. While that approach threatens to alienate long-time Buffy fans, the new series actually strikes a very delicate balance. It retains the spirit of the old Buffy while also giving newbies an easy jumping-on point to the franchise.

It helps that there's nothing radically different about this rebooted Buffy. Writer Jordie Bellaire and artist Dan Mora aren't attempting to reinvent the Slayer wheel here. Even describing the new series as "Ultimate Buffy" overstates the differences. This is still the story of Buffy Summers moving to Sunnydale and trying to balance the pressures of high school with her vampire-hunting responsibilities. The characters all still closely resemble their respective actors. This first issue makes it clear that the new series will follow its own path in terms of plotting and the order in which certain major characters are introduced, but also that it won't be making changes simply for the sake of change.

It's actually pretty impressive how much this first issue manages the seemingly contradictory task of giving the franchise a clean slate while still appealing to existing fans. The formula survives intact, but the plot is just different enough to differentiate the comic from what's come before. Bellaire is able to channel Joss Whedon's distinctive voice without the book feeling slavishly devoted to that voice. There's both a comfortable familiarity and an exciting freshness to the series. The characters survive intact, even if their personalities and relationships are subtly tweaked for the 2019.

It's a huge help having artist Dan Mora on board for this project. Mora has a singular talent for handling licensed comics. He's able to capture the essence of his characters without being forced to rely on stilted photo-reference. Mora's Buffy is a dead ringer for Sarah Michelle Gellar. The same for Xander/Nicholas Brendon and Willow/Alyson Hannigan. But in all cases, the characters have a playful energy and sense of style that firmly differentiates the comic from the source material. Between that and the generally effective blend of comedy and horror Mora is able to craft in these pages, this may well go down as the best-looking Buffy comic yet published.

Most importantly, this issue is something that can easily be read and enjoyed without any prior exposure to the franchise. It makes a clean break from the past even as in acknowledges that past in various tongue-in-cheek ways. There's no reason this reboot should work as well as it does, but there's no doubt that Buffy and friends have found a great new home.

The Verdict

As risky and disaster-prone as it might sound on paper, BOOM's new Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic immediately reinvigorates a long-running property. This series doesn't go overboard trying to overhaul the source material. Instead, it gives the characters a fresh start and builds up a new take on Buffy;s world that's both comfortably familiar and excitingly new. It's a book that should please Buffy fans of all types.

Great

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 manages to reboot a long-running franchise without losing its core appeal.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (23-01-19),betta (24-01-19),flow (23-01-19),Priceless (24-01-19),Silver1 (23-01-19),thenewbuzwuzz (27-01-19),TriBel (23-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    On his blog? "I know I should be happy. Maybe I can be happy, though just around the right people".

Oh...and I think I like it!
    Yes! What does this mean? What's going on with Xander? Is it just a hint as his home life or something deeper. It's interesting to me

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 837 Posts

Yes! What does this mean? What's going on with Xander? Is it just a hint as his home life or something deeper. It's interesting to me
    He says he's lying to everyone around him. Given their rewording of the series tagline, Xander will probably be trans.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-01-19),TriBel (24-01-19)

Thanks

That must be a helluva tagline shift. I really tend to doubt it. If BOOM wants to explore that through new secondary characters it would make more sense. Based one one issue, they seem to let the change from late 90s to late 20-teens do about 60% of the heavy lifting in terms of reassessing these characters, with the rest of the differences being small "what if" ruminations, i.e. what if Willow had already had the sexual self-awareness and general self-confidence of Season 5 and beyond, while she was in high school? What if Buffy had needed to do more to contribute to her home financially at a younger age while still settling in to being the Slayer at a young age? What if Anya was an old-hand at being the town's magic shop keep when we even meet her?

That's a helluva lot different than what you speculate for Xander, by contrast, which is instead a fundamental, ground-up character redesign - which doesn't feel warranted to give him a new spin, or earned by a new publisher, for what it's worth.

Banner by LRae12

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-01-19),TimeTravellingBunny (30-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    That's a helluva lot different than what you speculate for Xander, by contrast, which is instead a fundamental, ground-up character redesign - which doesn't feel warranted to give him a new spin, or earned by a new publisher, for what it's worth.
    It's not different or a fundamental redesign than Willow being out and happily gay at her current age. Willow's insecurities went well beyond her sexual preference. They establish here that he is lonely and lying to everyone around him, even Willow. We're already off course for him. Buffy ain't Buffy, Giles ain't Giles, Willow ain't Willow and from what we can glean from blurbs, Cordy isn't going to be Cordy, Dru isn't Dru, Spike won't be Spike, Wood won't be Wood and so on and so forth.

Whether it's earned or not isn't really something that factors in. The very nature of doing a reboot instead of "earning" the audience back is a copout in and of itself. If they make him trans, it'll make headlines, which is what they want.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-01-19),thenewbuzwuzz (27-01-19),TriBel (24-01-19)

Thanks

I can totally see how it's the same thing as a high school fast food job

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,190 Posts

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-01-19),Silver1 (24-01-19),Stoney (24-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I can totally see how it's the same thing as a high school fast food job
    It's not. Nor does having a HS fast food job have anything to do with Buffy's personality shift. Same with Willow being gay.

Xander is a low rung character. He's despised by their target demo. They're going to do something with him. I'm not saying the theory is right, but the signs are aligning so far. Making him gay would be on the redundant side.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 741 Posts

Given their rewording of the series tagline, Xander will probably be trans.
    Should change the name to Alexandria! Or Alexa? Alex would do too, I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    He says he's lying to everyone around him. Given their rewording of the series tagline, Xander will probably be trans.
    Very possibly. There's definitely something happening there.

Thanks

Very possibly. There's definitely something happening there.
    And one might think it is about a thousand more modest attenuations, like those of every other character, before one would make the grand leap to concluding that a full copper re-pipe of the character's entire psyche is underway.

The most obvious inference from juxtaposing Xander's post whe Buffy's internal monologue would fit, is they want to draw a connection between their mental states. Whether that is played straight for bringing them closer (*insert awakened 'shipper Ron Paul hands*) or for later dramatic irony (i.e. Xander is an actual antagonist of some kind. The mention of him going to LA seemed conspicuous) remains to be seen.

Banner by LRae12

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

betta (24-01-19),Priceless (24-01-19)

Thanks

And one might think it is about a thousand more modest attenuations, like those of every other character, before one would make the grand leap to concluding that a full copper re-pipe of the character's entire psyche is underway.

The most obvious inference from juxtaposing Xander's post when Buffy's internal monologue would fit, is they want to draw a connection between their mental states. Whether that is played straight for bringing them closer (*insert awakened 'shipper Ron Paul hands*) or for later dramatic irony (i.e. Xander is an actual antagonist of some kind. The mention of him going to LA seemed conspicuous) remains to be seen.
    I feel for your shippers heart, I too am a shipper, it's a hard road

I admit I haven't read the comic, I've only seen one image of Xander apparently texting something that seems like he has a secret. Along with that, I've read all the interviews were the writer and publisher continue to talk about 'identity' being a major issue in this run. I could be reading too much into it, of course, but I do think Xander is going to have a major identity change, and becoming trans could fit with that.

I'm not saying I'd like it, to be honest, I'd probably hate it. This comic, if done correctly (imo) should be feminist, and to equal that out, we need to hear male voices, of which we have very few (more if they keep Hank around, so I should say young male voices).

Slayer
    Thanks

The most obvious inference from juxtaposing Xander's post whe Buffy's internal monologue would fit, is they want to draw a connection between their mental states. Whether that is played straight for bringing them closer (*insert awakened 'shipper Ron Paul hands*) or for later dramatic irony (i.e. Xander is an actual antagonist of some kind. The mention of him going to LA seemed conspicuous) remains to be seen.
    We know it isn't her internal monologue. It's his. What exactly is he lying to everyone around him about? How is him being the antag of the piece not a "full copper repipe" of the character?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-01-19)

Thanks

He was a frequent, contextual secondary antagonist to Buffy; seasons 2, 3, 6, and... 9? would like a word. Turning it up a notch to, I don't know, reluctant spy? That feels more "Willow came out three years early" than would say, completely blowing up his psycho-sexual identity in a way that doesn't even at least echo the "original" the way shopkeep Anya, fast food Buffy, or confident Willow do.

And "lying" as a concept makes a lot of horse-like hoofbeats in which you are hearing only zebras. Or pegasus.
    Last edited by KingofCretins; 24-01-19 at 04:11 PM.

Banner by LRae12