Thread: Alyson Hannigan + Daughter on Master Chef Junior

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,623 Posts

Default Alyson Hannigan + Daughter on Master Chef Junior

Gordon Ramsey's show Master Chef Junior had a Celebrity episode. In one round, Alyson Hannigan and her daughter Saty competed against Lil Rel (the hilarious, scene-stealing TSA agent in Get Out) and his daughter. I couldn't find a direct link but you can find it on Gordon Ramsey's Fan Page on Facebook. It was uploaded November 23, 2018. It starts around 32 minutes in. The whole thing was extremely cute and entertaining- since I enjoy competitive cooking shows of all stripes. Co-parents of the contestants were in the audience, so Alexis Denisof was there. Apparently, *he* is the cook of the household and Alyson really can't cook well. So, Alyson was making a hash of a bunch of dishes under the cooking challenge time-crunch and being a great sport, wise-cracking, vivacious ball of sunshine about it. Alexis was cracking up at her in the hot seat which was cracking ME up. Alyson and Saty won and won $25K for their favorite charity (on top of $15K for participating). Saty is very cute and precocious- but so was Lil Rel's daughter.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-01-19),DeepBlueJoy (12-01-19),Klaus Kartoffel (12-01-19),Stoney (12-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,583 Times in 5,177 Posts

Oh I'm definitely going to see if I can view this. I adore cookery programmes and Alyson & Alexis.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (12-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I found the Youtube vid so I *can* embed the vid! It starts at 29 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Oh I'm definitely going to see if I can view this. I adore cookery programmes and Alyson & Alexis.
    I love cooking shows too! Gotta say, I mourn a little in January partly because the holiday cooking specials are off TV...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-01-19),Double Dutchess (12-01-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (12-01-19),Klaus Kartoffel (12-01-19),Stoney (12-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,248 Times in 1,799 Posts

a) What's with Ramsey's quiff and b) those "Pigs in Blankets" look suspiciously like Sausage Rolls to me. In my North of England world, PiB are sausages wrapped in bacon!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (12-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    I found the Youtube vid so I *can* embed the vid! It starts at 29 minutes.
    Fab, thanks!

I love cooking shows too! Gotta say, I mourn a little in January partly because the holiday cooking specials are off TV...
    We always end up recording shows so we often have masterchefs to watch that finished an age ago. We're currently at finals stage of a professional masterchef on that basis.

I don't like Pigs in Blankets, I prefer a bit of lardy pastry around them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (12-01-19),TriBel (12-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    a) What's with Ramsey's quiff and b) those "Pigs in Blankets" look suspiciously like Sausage Rolls to me. In my North of England world, PiB are sausages wrapped in bacon!
    Interesting. Here in the States, that recipe was a classic pigs in a blanket- weiners wrapped in dough. I actually quite liked Alyson's idea to put mustard in with the dough. I haven't seen that before. Instead, the mustard is usually served on the side as a dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Fab, thanks!We always end up recording shows so we often have masterchefs to watch that finished an age ago. We're currently at finals stage of a professional masterchef on that basis.
    I should record my food shows. I have in the past but lately, I've been relying on watching shows on the Food Network app. However, lately, I feel like the app posts less shows. I had particularly counted on watching some Ina Garten shows the other day and couldn't find them on the app.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Stoney (12-01-19),TriBel (12-01-19)

Thanks

Interesting. Here in the States, that recipe was a classic pigs in a blanket- weiners wrapped in dough. I actually quite liked Alyson's idea to put mustard in with the dough. I haven't seen that before. Instead, the mustard is usually served on the side as a dipping sauce.
    Oh...I didn't get as far as the recipes - for me, a balanced diet is a packet of crisps in one hand and a bag of sweets in the other! It was the remark that the Queen had them. What!? I feel she's letting the side down...

Pigs in Blankets are small sausages wrapped in bacon. They go on the Christmas dinner (not a side dish). And no mustard. This could cause an international incident!

Sausage in pastry is a sausage roll. At present, the UK's in turmoil because a chain of bakers has produced a vegan sausage roll. We take these things seriously (it's not as if we have anything else to worry about . .

Out of interest...does Gordon R. swear a lot on American TV?

Stoney:

I don't like Pigs in Blankets, I prefer a bit of lardy pastry around them Sausage Rolls.
    Corrected it for you.
    Last edited by TriBel; 12-01-19 at 05:32 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (12-01-19),Stoney (12-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 804 Posts

I am forced to add that nothing beats toad in the hole. To a Canadian of British extraction this is sausages baked inside yorkshire pudding. Served with mashed potatoes, peas and the whole lot smothered in gravy. Mmmmmm

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Graveyard Patrol Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 457 Posts

I love MasterChef, in particular MasterChef Australia (currently watching the finals), but not so much the Junior version. That said, I really enjoyed seeing Alyson Hannigan, Alexis Denisof and their kids. They were adorable.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Haven't watched it fully yet but: "She's not a good cook but makes it look funny!"

German cook shows tend to be either too pretentious, too seriously competitive (or both), with unrealistic/unaffordable recipes. This looks cute and fun so far.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (12-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Oh...I didn't get as far as the recipes - for me, a balanced diet is a packet of crisps in one hand and a bag of sweets in the other! It was the remark that the Queen had them. What!? I feel she's letting the side down...

Pigs in Blankets are small sausages wrapped in bacon. They go on the Christmas dinner (not a side dish). And no mustard. This could cause an international incident!

Sausage in pastry is a sausage roll. At present, the UK's in turmoil because a chain of bakers has produced a vegan sausage roll. We take these things seriously (it's not as if we have anything else to worry about . .

Out of interest...does Gordon R. swear a lot on American TV?
    Yes, Gordon swears on American TV, especially in Kitchen Nightmares. It's kind of his calling card. It's bleeped out network TV. This article is about how he's ruder on American TV than British TV. I don't really watch Master Chef Junior other than a few scenes here and there- but he's necessarily nice to the kids. (Hurling obscenities to adults can be good TV. Not so much to children.)

Your strong feelings on pigs in a blanket are interesting! I feel like dough is more "blanket-y" than bacon but takes all types to make a world.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kartoffel View Post
    German cook shows tend to be either too pretentious, too seriously competitive (or both), with unrealistic/unaffordable recipes. This looks cute and fun so far.
    Americans got pretentious competition cooking shows too. I watch them- Chopped, Next Food Network Star, Iron Chef. I'll spend quite a bit of time and money on cooking home meals but MAN, designer chefs live in their own world. Even comparing my life to this ep, I made latkes for this past Chanukah. *That* was the special dish. They didn't need creme fraiche and smoked salmon on top. Sour cream and applesauce are plenty special purchases.
    Last edited by Dipstick; 12-01-19 at 08:09 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (12-01-19),Stoney (12-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 719 Posts

I watched it when it was broadcast. Apparently Alexis is the real cook in the family, and Aly doesn't cook at all. Alexis was in the audience holding Kiva, watching and laughing.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

Thanks

Dipstick:

Your strong feelings on pigs in a blanket are interesting! I feel like dough is more "blanket-y" than bacon but takes all types to make a world.
    Dough is definitely more blankety. I've just realised there's something obscene about the British version. In effect its, "Here little piggy. I'll kill you and turn you into a sausage. Then I'll kill your mother/father/sister/brother and cover you in their dead skin". Alternatively, it's the same pig but re-organised. It's like Psycho meets Silence of the Lambs....I've just gone vegan.

On that topic, I had my first Greggs' Vegan Sausage Roll today. I ate it while wearing a waxed jacket, tight jeans, Dr Marten Boots, a rather fetching black fedora and my new Harry Potter/SteamPunk specs (in an effort to assert my snowflake/hipster(ish) credentials and upset Piers Morgan). It was rather nice.

GoSpuffy

I am forced to add that nothing beats toad in the hole. To a Canadian of British extraction this is sausages baked inside yorkshire pudding.

Can I please point out it means the same to a Brit of British extraction.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

TriBel I didn't want to assume!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-01-19)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone on here watch Nailed It?

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Does anyone on here watch Nailed It?
    I've seen some Youtube clips. Two years ago, I wanted to contribute to my office's Halloween potluck party by making stuffed peppers but with the bell peppers carved out as Halloween jack-o-lanterns. My friend joked that this was a "Nailed It" type of challenge. I sent her a picture of the peppers- hash-tagged #NailedIt.

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Meant the Netflix show, not the meme's/vids.

Thanks

I haven't heard of either meaning (official hermit here).

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-01-19)

Thanks

I've watched a few episodes of nailed it with my daughter. There is a different show with a lot of the same people I like more but the title escapes me.