4 44.44%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • I don't know and/or maybe

2 22.22%

Thread: Sarah Michelle Gellar’s career during and after BtVS:

Thanks

Default Sarah Michelle Gellar’s career during and after BtVS:

These are my responses to the posts in this thread: http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...new-drama-show

I decided to make a new thread given SMG series then to ‘come and go’.

* At least most Buffyverse viewers blame SMG for the TV BtVS ending.

SMG mostly has kept the ‘Buffy hair’ post-BtVS S7. But after The Grudge and The Grudge 2 , Buffyverse fans didn’t exactly support her movie career.

* Outside of leaving BtVS even though she was offered $750K-850K per episode and to do only 10 episodes for BtVS S8 if she wanted to focus on her movie career, and even though BtVS S7 was considered by viewers as one of the worst BtVS Seasons, SMG decided to quit the series and did it in an Entertainment Weekly Issue.

Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas Brendan had signed contracts for BtVS S8. Alyson Hannigan had a relatively good movie career outside of BtVS aka the American Pie franchise. Both Aly and Nic seems blindsided by SMG’s announcement, especially given it was made so near to the end of BtVS S7.

For SMG’s career, it was clearly a better idea to do BtVS S8. As-is, the commentary is that she left BtVS to do a Scooby Doo sequel.

* SMG’s decision to leave Creative Artists Agency aka CAA aka the most powerful agency in the entertainment industry was a very bad decision. She should have focused on the part in which CAA said that the success of The Grudge finally made her an important client instead of focusing on CAA correctly mentioning her bad acting in The Grudge .

Remember that until BtVS S7, SMG wasn’t making ‘much money’ for her roles.

* SMG also never transitioned from “hot chick” to “mother” in terms of TV and/or movie roles. Her career essentially ‘went away’ before that happened.

* SMG’s ‘official excuse’ regarding why she quit BtVS is because she wanted to spend more time with Freddie Prinze Jr. That hurt her career in terms of BtVS viewers given most wanted her ‘in real life’ with either David Boreanaz or James Marsters.

Given FPJ’s problems with Buffy/Spike, it was assumed by many that on-screen “Spuffy” stuff didn’t happen in BtVS S7 because of FPJ’s problems with Buffy/Spike—meaning Sarah Michelle Gellar and James Marsters’s scenes together.

SMG’s going from ‘best friends of the cast’ with James Marsters to around a year post-AtS S5 suddenly distancing herself from James seemed probably connected to FPJ’s problems and concerns regarding that.

Notably FPJ hadn’t seemingly expressed any problems with “I Will Remember You” (A 1.08), “Forever” (B 5.17), “End of Days” (B 7.21) etc.

It was even relatively a long while before Sarah Michelle Gellar and James Marsters became Twitter followers and Twitter ‘friends’ of each other and JM reached out to her. And even that could simply be because of SMG’s in recent years reminding everyone who will listen that she was Buffy.

DeepBlueJoy

I think career day got it right.:-) She would do well in law enforcement. I would have loved to see her in something like criminal minds or CSI.
    SMG and James Marsters clearly didn’t want to do a ‘cop show’.

They are boring to do and don’t contribute much to pop culture.

William Patterson left CSI simply because of how boring it is to do.

David Boreanaz has been so successful since AtS simply because he was willing to do a ‘cop show’.

Alyson Hannigan was more known for the American Pie movies than for the Buffyverse and so did a comedy after BtVS.

KingofCretins

she won't be the first or last to fairly disappear despite having real talent, beauty, and charisma. She should probably have tea with Nina Dobrev.
    Outside of being the ‘star’ of the ‘WB’ and an ‘It girl’, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Nina Dobrev aren’t much similar.

Nina Dobrev left The Vampire Diaries and she didn’t even have other good prospects at the time. Her decision is arguably even worse than Michael Rosenbaum’s leaving Smallville .

SMG had a movie career essentially before, during, and after BtVS. Nina Dobrev post-TVD is simply cast for her looks and ‘celebrity status’ and she’s cast in rather bad movies.

In addition, SMG dated and then married Freddie Prinze Jr. who was known as the “Matinee King”. Nina Dobrev dated her coworker Ian Somerhalder, then they broke up, then she left TVD. Given TVD’s premise is based on a ‘love triangle’, that dating decision probably wasn’t the best.

You know who didn’t leave her TV series even though she had a breakup with her costar? Blake Lively. Blake stayed with Gossip Girl till the end even though both “Chair”—Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf—and “Dair”—Dan Humphrey and Blair Waldorf—somehow became more popular than “Derena”—Dan Humphrey and even though Gossip Girl ’s ratings became relatively abysmal.

vampmogs

A lot of fans have criticised her over the years for not attending conventions etc but I always felt it that just spoke of their entitlement. We don't own these actors and they don't owe us anything.
    The not doing conventions thing is obviously in contrast to James Marsters, who was a huge convention draw and is still a significant convention draw.

But not doing conventions, not being in the DVD commentaries, etc. wasn’t exactly beneficial to SMG’s career. To many BtVS viewers it seemed she considered doing those things “beneath her”.

* SMG only after her movie career fizzled and her TV career fizzled reminds everyone who will listen that she was Buffy. It’s simply “too late” for most viewers.

Nathan Fillion remained relatively very loyal to his Firefly and Serenity fans and remained relatively very loyal to Joss Whedon. Those things helped Nathan’s career.

David Boreanaz distanced himself from Angel and AtS, but he did so after Bones was already successful and it was likely to last for at least several more years.

SMG distanced herself from Buffy and BtVS, yet kept the ‘Buffy hair’, and then decided to do a cameo in The Grudge 2 instead of making The Grudge her franchise.

Finally, she was still distancing herself from Buffy and BtVS when she ‘finally’ did her Maxim covershoot. In December 2008 A.D. And the cover essentially reads: “Buffy finally does Maxim”.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,460 Posts

I don`t know, what all this fuss about SMG`s career is about.

This is Hollywood. You don`t know, what`s gonna happen and why. Look at Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. Both played the male lead role in an insanely successful movie. Both did a good job and portrayed characters that have become legendary and iconic.

One of them has become one of the most successful actors ever with roles in numerous movies and tv series and the other did voice acting and stage acting in the years following Return of the Jedi. Mind you, he might have chosen to do so. We don`t know that.

Sarah Michelle Gellar might have chopsen to have a family and spent a lot of her time with her kids while they were little. David Boreanaz ist the male lead in a tv series for the tird time in a row now (fourth, if you take BtVS into account as well), while James Marsters does guest appearances on running tv shows every now and then, until last year. Did one of them do anything differently than the other? They both fulfilled their contract and were literally together in the last scene of AtS. Both of them are good actors. Both of them are good looking. Both of them have a huge fanbase among the Buffyverse fandom. One of them is more successful than the other. That`s just the way it goes.

Sarah Michelle Gellar filmed BtVS for seven years. That`s a long time for a tv-series. Sex and the City only lasted six seasons, Ally McBeal five, Desperate Housewives eight and HIMYM nine.

Has there already been a contract for season 8 of BtVS with WB? Had there been scripts or at least a season arc? How far were they with the planning on an eight season for BtVS, when Sarah Michelle gellar called it quits?

MikeB
    The not doing conventions thing is obviously in contrast to James Marsters, who was a huge convention draw and is still a significant convention draw.

But not doing conventions, not being in the DVD commentaries, etc. wasn’t exactly beneficial to SMG’s career. To many BtVS viewers it seemed she considered doing those things “beneath her”.
    I believe it`s the other way round. If you don`t have a successful career and need the money, that`s when you do conventions. Tbh, I do believe that James Marsters also likes to do them. But if he had been picked as the new James Bond, you would not see him selling selfies to fans for one hundred bucks.

MikeB
    SMG and James Marsters clearly didn’t want to do a ‘cop show’
    Have they been offered the lead role in a tv-series like Bones and dismissed it? I have never heard anything such. When did it happen? Which cop show are we talking about?

MikeB:
    SMG’s going from ‘best friends of the cast’ with James Marsters to around a year post-AtS S5 suddenly distancing herself from James seemed probably connected to FPJ’s problems and concerns regarding that.
    I don`t know about your source but James Marsters has repeatedly stated that he respects and admires SMG and that they were very friendly with each other on set but that was it. They never were best friends. She never distanced herself from him because they were never close.

MikeB:
    Given FPJ’s problems with Buffy/Spike, it was assumed by many that on-screen “Spuffy” stuff didn’t happen in BtVS S7 because of FPJ’s problems with Buffy/Spike—meaning Sarah Michelle Gellar and James Marsters’s scenes together.
    Please tell me, when and where Freddie Prinze Jr expressed concern about his wife`s scenes with James Marsters or when and where Sarah Michelle Gellar said that he was concerned about those scenes - which had turned quite harmless in season 7, by the way.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-01-19),Andrew S. (12-01-19),Dipstick (11-01-19),GoSpuffy (11-01-19),Klaus Kartoffel (11-01-19),TriBel (11-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,934 Times in 741 Posts

My SMG issues date from William Shatner and Star Trek. Keep in mind that ST-TOS invented conventions, cosplay, fanzines and basically modern fandom. Mocking Trekkies as weirdos for all of this was a common cultural joke. A lot of actors distance themselves from a role because they don't want to be typecast. Only a few completely disavow it and make it clear they don't ever wish to talk about it. William Shatner not only disavowed the show and refused to talk about it in interviews, he went on SNL and did a sketch with him screaming at Trekkies "Get a life". After he saw the franchise grow , he decided to embrace Kirk after all.

While SMG never slagged BTVS that I know of, her husband and she had plenty of complaints after she cancelled the show without telling anyone. Once that period was over she pretty much refused to acknowledge the show in any way - made it clear she wouldn't answer Buffy questions. It wasn't until her career kinda fizzled, and the 20th anniversary arrived that I saw her take any interest in being connected to the show. Her latest idiocy was to post pics of herself in lingerie to show her fans why they shouldn't overeat at Thanksgiving. Not a lot of respect there. I love Buffy - not all that thrilled with SMG.

Leonard Nimoy obviously knew he was gonna deal with typecasting issues after playing a cultural icon - but he never turned his back on Star Trek. Back when conventions were thrown by fans, and stars got nothing more than a free room and travel expenses, he made a habit of showing up unexpectedly. As an actor, he had to work hard to create an identity that showed he could do serious work but he managed that too. Throughout it all he still embraced the role of Spock, and respected the fans.

That's what I see Marsters doing after having a role as pivotal as Spock but more controversial. He really seems to enjoy the fans, and as a former convention goer from the early ages he appreciates fandom. Nick Brendon also has been a frequent convention guest even while doing Dangerous Minds, etc. Most of the other actors have spoken at conventions - even Julie Benz who went on to co-star in Dexter. DB pretty much still ignores Buffy and I respect his integrity. So I just am not all that big a fan of SMG - I don't like the way she has treated her fans. I dislike the fact that she seemed to embrace the show finally only for what that can do for her. It strikes me as hypocritical.

Fandom, as a community and a form of interaction, means a lot to me. Society has caught up with ST-TOS. Everything we did is cool now. And when an actor's career bottoms out and they suddenly decide they want to be idolized by fans because it's now convenient - not all that accepting here. Maybe I have just been in fandoms too long.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    While SMG never slagged BTVS that I know of, her husband and she had plenty of complaints after she cancelled the show without telling anyone.
    Huh? She didn't cancel the show without telling anyone. It was a mutual decision between her and Whedon at the beginning of S7. Everyone knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bespangeled
    Once that period was over she pretty much refused to acknowledge the show in any way - made it clear she wouldn't answer Buffy questions. It wasn't until her career kinda fizzled, and the 20th anniversary arrived that I saw her take any interest in being connected to the show.
    SMG has acknowledged the show numerous, numerous times in the years after it ended BEFORE the 20th anniversary. She attended the Paley Festival reunion in 2008 and she answered many questions about the show in a Reddit AMA that she did in 2014. I've followed her on social media for years and she frequently posts references/throwbacks to the show, along with pics of her and the other cast members whenever they hang out. She has *always* been grateful for BtVS. It just wasn't until recent years, with the rise of social media, that she had a platform to express that.

Her latest idiocy was to post pics of herself in lingerie to show her fans why they shouldn't overeat at Thanksgiving. Not a lot of respect there. I love Buffy - not all that thrilled with SMG.
    This is just petty. That post was taken out of context and she apologized for it almost immediately afterwards.

That's what I see Marsters doing after having a role as pivotal as Spock but more controversial. He really seems to enjoy the fans, and as a former convention goer from the early ages he appreciates fandom. Nick Brendon also has been a frequent convention guest even while doing Dangerous Minds, etc. Most of the other actors have spoken at conventions - even Julie Benz who went on to co-star in Dexter. DB pretty much still ignores Buffy and I respect his integrity. So I just am not all that big a fan of SMG - I don't like the way she has treated her fans. I dislike the fact that she seemed to embrace the show finally only for what that can do for her. It strikes me as hypocritical.
    Who cares if James Marsters and Nick Brendon go to conventions and SMG doesn't? That's her personal choice. She's not obligated to do so. And when has she ever treated the fans badly? She's always praised BtVS fans. When asked if she was ever bitter/upset about the lack of major awards she (and the series) received, SMG stated that awards were irrelevant because, in her view, the fans were the reason they made the show. When winning a People's Choice Award in 2014 for The Crazy Ones, she took the time to thank the BtVS fandom when the series had been over for 11 years (at the time). If she only cares about the show now because of her ego/what it did for her career, then why does she always say "no" whenever people have asked her about the possibility of her reviving/reprising the role? She's always cared a great deal about the character and the story, she just has a life outside of it, which seems to bother people who want her to be Buffy forever.

The SMG-bashing among some fans never fails to bug me. Whether it be people complaining about her deciding to end the series in the first place, or not coming back for AtS S5, or how many times she has or hasn't mentioned the show in the years since it's been off the air. It's like people are mad at her for just living her life. SMG never says or does anything disrespectful. She just raises her family and minds her own business, which has worked for her (in terms of her personal life) and against her (in terms of her acting career).

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (10-02-19),Dipstick (12-01-19),Lyri (12-01-19),StateOfSiege97 (10-02-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    These are my responses to the posts in this thread: http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...new-drama-show

I decided to make a new thread given SMG series then to ‘come and go’.

* At least most Buffyverse viewers blame SMG for the TV BtVS ending.

SMG mostly has kept the ‘Buffy hair’ post-BtVS S7. But after The Grudge and The Grudge 2 , Buffyverse fans didn’t exactly support her movie career.

* Outside of leaving BtVS even though she was offered $750K-850K per episode and to do only 10 episodes for BtVS S8 if she wanted to focus on her movie career, and even though BtVS S7 was considered by viewers as one of the worst BtVS Seasons, SMG decided to quit the series and did it in an Entertainment Weekly Issue.

Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas Brendan had signed contracts for BtVS S8. Alyson Hannigan had a relatively good movie career outside of BtVS aka the American Pie franchise. Both Aly and Nic seems blindsided by SMG’s announcement, especially given it was made so near to the end of BtVS S7.

For SMG’s career, it was clearly a better idea to do BtVS S8. As-is, the commentary is that she left BtVS to do a Scooby Doo sequel.

* SMG’s decision to leave Creative Artists Agency aka CAA aka the most powerful agency in the entertainment industry was a very bad decision. She should have focused on the part in which CAA said that the success of The Grudge finally made her an important client instead of focusing on CAA correctly mentioning her bad acting in The Grudge .

Remember that until BtVS S7, SMG wasn’t making ‘much money’ for her roles.

* SMG also never transitioned from “hot chick” to “mother” in terms of TV and/or movie roles. Her career essentially ‘went away’ before that happened.

* SMG’s ‘official excuse’ regarding why she quit BtVS is because she wanted to spend more time with Freddie Prinze Jr. That hurt her career in terms of BtVS viewers given most wanted her ‘in real life’ with either David Boreanaz or James Marsters.

Notably FPJ hadn’t seemingly expressed any problems with “I Will Remember You” (A 1.08), “Forever” (B 5.17), “End of Days” (B 7.21) etc.

It was even relatively a long while before Sarah Michelle Gellar and James Marsters became Twitter followers and Twitter ‘friends’ of each other and JM reached out to her. And even that could simply be because of SMG’s in recent years reminding everyone who will listen that she was Buffy.

DeepBlueJoy

SMG and James Marsters clearly didn’t want to do a ‘cop show’.

They are boring to do and don’t contribute much to pop culture.

William Patterson left CSI simply because of how boring it is to do.

David Boreanaz has been so successful since AtS simply because he was willing to do a ‘cop show’.

Alyson Hannigan was more known for the American Pie movies than for the Buffyverse and so did a comedy after BtVS.

KingofCretins

Outside of being the ‘star’ of the ‘WB’ and an ‘It girl’, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Nina Dobrev aren’t much similar.

Nina Dobrev left The Vampire Diaries and she didn’t even have other good prospects at the time. Her decision is arguably even worse than Michael Rosenbaum’s leaving Smallville .

SMG had a movie career essentially before, during, and after BtVS. Nina Dobrev post-TVD is simply cast for her looks and ‘celebrity status’ and she’s cast in rather bad movies.

In addition, SMG dated and then married Freddie Prinze Jr. who was known as the “Matinee King”. Nina Dobrev dated her coworker Ian Somerhalder, then they broke up, then she left TVD. Given TVD’s premise is based on a ‘love triangle’, that dating decision probably wasn’t the best.

You know who didn’t leave her TV series even though she had a breakup with her costar? Blake Lively. Blake stayed with Gossip Girl till the end even though both “Chair”—Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf—and “Dair”—Dan Humphrey and Blair Waldorf—somehow became more popular than “Derena”—Dan Humphrey and even though Gossip Girl ’s ratings became relatively abysmal.

vampmogs

* SMG only after her movie career fizzled and her TV career fizzled reminds everyone who will listen that she was Buffy. It’s simply “too late” for most viewers.

Nathan Fillion remained relatively very loyal to his Firefly and Serenity fans and remained relatively very loyal to Joss Whedon. Those things helped Nathan’s career.

David Boreanaz distanced himself from Angel and AtS, but he did so after Bones was already successful and it was likely to last for at least several more years.

SMG distanced herself from Buffy and BtVS, yet kept the ‘Buffy hair’, and then decided to do a cameo in The Grudge 2 instead of making The Grudge her franchise.

Finally, she was still distancing herself from Buffy and BtVS when she ‘finally’ did her Maxim covershoot. In December 2008 A.D. And the cover essentially reads: “Buffy finally does Maxim”.
    When S7 ended, at the time FPJ came out with an interview saying how someone on set made his wife miserable. I remember Joss then did his own interview saying that Freddie wasn't there and doesn't know the whole story.
    I always assumed that was AH given her own interview at the time but given what you said I wonder if it was JM instead ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I don`t know, what all this fuss about SMG`s career is about.

This is Hollywood. You don`t know, what`s gonna happen and why. Look at Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. Both played the male lead role in an insanely successful movie. Both did a good job and portrayed characters that have become legendary and iconic.

One of them has become one of the most successful actors ever with roles in numerous movies and tv series and the other did voice acting and stage acting in the years following Return of the Jedi. Mind you, he might have chosen to do so. We don`t know that.

Sarah Michelle Gellar might have chopsen to have a family and spent a lot of her time with her kids while they were little. David Boreanaz ist the male lead in a tv series for the tird time in a row now (fourth, if you take BtVS into account as well), while James Marsters does guest appearances on running tv shows every now and then, until last year. Did one of them do anything differently than the other? They both fulfilled their contract and were literally together in the last scene of AtS. Both of them are good actors. Both of them are good looking. Both of them have a huge fanbase among the Buffyverse fandom. One of them is more successful than the other. That`s just the way it goes.

Sarah Michelle Gellar filmed BtVS for seven years. That`s a long time for a tv-series. Sex and the City only lasted six seasons, Ally McBeal five, Desperate Housewives eight and HIMYM nine.

Has there already been a contract for season 8 of BtVS with WB? Had there been scripts or at least a season arc? How far were they with the planning on an eight season for BtVS, when Sarah Michelle gellar called it quits?

MikeB

I believe it`s the other way round. If you don`t have a successful career and need the money, that`s when you do conventions. Tbh, I do believe that James Marsters also likes to do them. But if he had been picked as the new James Bond, you would not see him selling selfies to fans for one hundred bucks.

MikeB

Have they been offered the lead role in a tv-series like Bones and dismissed it? I have never heard anything such. When did it happen? Which cop show are we talking about?

MikeB:

I don`t know about your source but James Marsters has repeatedly stated that he respects and admires SMG and that they were very friendly with each other on set but that was it. They never were best friends. She never distanced herself from him because they were never close.

MikeB:

Please tell me, when and where Freddie Prinze Jr expressed concern about his wife`s scenes with James Marsters or when and where Sarah Michelle Gellar said that he was concerned about those scenes - which had turned quite harmless in season 7, by the way.

flow
    Your right about JM, like any actor he wants work and a payday and given his quote about the AR almost ruining his career, I wonder if he meant the Convention Circuit. Fans aren't going to line up for pictures with Spike the rapist as opposed to Spike the Bad boy Love Interest.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,044 Posts

Your right about JM, like any actor he wants work and a payday and given his quote about the AR almost ruining his career, I wonder if he meant the Convention Circuit. Fans aren't going to line up for pictures with Spike the rapist as opposed to Spike the Bad boy Love Interest.
    In the past I used to attend loads of Buffy cons, and in JM always seemed very popular with the fans, and for that matter still is judging by the articles and photos I see posted online.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    In the past I used to attend loads of Buffy cons, and in JM always seemed very popular with the fans, and for that matter still is judging by the articles and photos I see posted online.
    The fact that he's in demand from a show that's ended 15 years ago is testament to his popularity. He certainly comes across as personable in interviews

- - - Updated - - -

In regards to the Poll and question. Well judging by the S8 comics, Gellar was right not to do them. Some of those stories were just WTF !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (11-02-19)