Thread: Whether to give in on The Gifted...?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,100 Times in 4,945 Posts

Default Whether to give in on The Gifted...?

Okay so I finally managed to get a recording of most of S1 of The Gifted to watch. I was pretty excited about it as I thought it sounded fun and I like the whole Marvel/X-Men story premise, plus, Amy Acker!! Now I've watched up to and including episode 7 of the 13 episodes in the first season and I'm really quite bored. I think it started off interesting enough and I liked the set up but the acting is so dismal and the writing so corny that I'm losing interest rapidly. Even AA is dull, the writing of her character is twee, she's like Wendy from Peter Pan and the weaknesses are tedious to endure when there isn't one character that I want to know more about.

So what I want to know is,
    • a) whether you felt like this at the half way point of S1 too, and
    • b) if you think it gets better? Without any specifics, does it change? Will something happen, a twist perhaps or another character enter that will be a pay-off if I stick with it?
    Because if this is it and it just continues as it is now then I'm not going to keep with the rest of the season and put myself through a second one. It just isn't good enough when I've a tower of DVDs and numerous recorded shows I keep failing to find time for.

Opinions without spoilers please.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (08-01-19),Priceless (06-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 3,212 Posts

I've only seen two episodes, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I found it dull. I would agree that the writing was poor and the characters deeply uninteresting. I didn't understand the point of the show or what it was trying to say, and it certainly didn't grip me. I wonder if that's because I'm not the target audience, which I presume is teens and tweens.

I watched a couple of eps of Cloak & Danger, which seemed in the same vein, and that was equally uninteresting. I might have thought the same about Runaways but for JM, though the adults in that are actually interesting, far more so than the teens.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (08-01-19),Stoney (06-01-19)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Gave up on this show after 4 er 5 episodes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-01-19),Stoney (07-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,581 Posts

Priceless:

I watched a couple of eps of Cloak & Danger, which seemed in the same vein, and that was equally uninteresting. I might have thought the same about Runaways but for JM, though the adults in that are actually interesting, far more so than the teens.
    Runaways: I'm up to episode 9 (I binged it over two days when I thought I wasn't at work this coming week). It's not compensating for the absence of Robert Downey Jnr. I hate JM in it. My lads reckon he's had work done - his hands look older than the rest of him. Sigh...my life is such a let-down at the moment....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I've only seen two episodes, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I found it dull. I would agree that the writing was poor and the characters deeply uninteresting. I didn't understand the point of the show or what it was trying to say, and it certainly didn't grip me. I wonder if that's because I'm not the target audience, which I presume is teens and tweens.
    That's how I'm feeling and it's only taken so long for me to question whether to continue because I had high hopes for it. I watched the first episode of Sharp Objects tonight whilst I am seeing if anyone says anything here to make me not just delete the remaining episodes of The Gifted. I only recorded it because of Marti and Aurora (I think it was) watched it and said it was good, and it was fantastic! I know nothing about it, I'm the queen of avoiding spoilers, but I'm really looking forward to watching more.

I haven't seen Cloak & Dagger but I've heard of it. Runaways I'm enjoying. The kids in it I found in S1 (haven't seen any of S2 yet although I'm recording it) are written in a similarly corny way to The Gifted and are a bit dull, but I really enjoyed the adults and their dynamics with their kids. I'm looking forward to seeing S2.

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Gave up on this show after 4 er 5 episodes.
    Yeah, it is quite unusual for me to drop something once I've started it. Usually if I lose interest I pop it on in the background when I'm reading or doing other things just to get a rough idea of where it goes, but this I'm considering just deleting. Hearing others didn't keep dragging themselves through more is making me feel more confident.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I hate JM in it. My lads reckon he's had work done - his hands look older than the rest of him. Sigh...my life is such a let-down at the moment....
    I think his character is interesting (in S1, I haven't seen S2 yet). Having seen YouTube vids of him in the last six months I don't think how he looks in Runaways facially is how he looks the rest of the time. So I'd assume clever makeup, lighting or digital tweaking maybe.

Thanks

Priceless:

Runaways: I'm up to episode 9 (I binged it over two days when I thought I wasn't at work this coming week). It's not compensating for the absence of Robert Downey Jnr. I hate JM in it. My lads reckon he's had work done - his hands look older than the rest of him. Sigh...my life is such a let-down at the moment....
    If JM has had work done, his surgeon is pretty good because it's not too obvious. I imagine being in your 50's, working in genre television for the American networks, he will have had some work done, but I don't begrudge him at all. He wants to keep working and project the same image, so why not?

- - - Updated - - -

That's how I'm feeling and it's only taken so long for me to question whether to continue because I had high hopes for it. I watched the first episode of Sharp Objects tonight whilst I am seeing if anyone says anything here to make me not just delete the remaining episodes of The Gifted. I only recorded it because of Marti and Aurora (I think it was) watched it and said it was good, and it was fantastic! I know nothing about it, I'm the queen of avoiding spoilers, but I'm really looking forward to watching more.
    Sharp Objects is very good! Amy Adams is perhaps the best I've ever seen her. The story is a bit generic, if I'm honest, but they've tried really hard with the writing and cinematography etc. to add an extra layer of interest, and it really does work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (07-01-19)

Thanks

If JM has had work done, his surgeon is pretty good because it's not too obvious. I imagine being in your 50's, working in genre television for the American networks, he will have had some work done, but I don't begrudge him at all. He wants to keep working and project the same image, so why not?
    Oh I don't begrudge him - I just think his hands seem really old and it looks odd. I don't like him in it (and I know I'm not supposed to like his character but I didn't like him). In fact, I've finished it and I don't know whether I'll bother with S2. I just felt a bit "meh" about the whole thing. Nothing specific (there was enough to keep me watching) - just underwhelmed. I didn't feel a connection to any character or the storyline.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-01-19)

Thanks

Oh I don't begrudge him - I just think his hands seem really old and it looks odd. I don't like him in it (and I know I'm not supposed to like his character but I didn't like him). In fact, I've finished it and I don't know whether I'll bother with S2. I just felt a bit "meh" about the whole thing. Nothing specific (there was enough to keep me watching) - just underwhelmed. I didn't feel a connection to any character or the storyline.
    Runaways certainly is the best show on tv I'd only watch it for JM, as I find the kids really bland and often just annoying. I think they're just a box ticking exercise - black character, Asian character, plain girl, beautiful boy, gay couple etc. etc. The adults are far more interesting, but we don't get much of them because the show is aimed at kids. So I do understand why people wouldn't watch, I agree it's pretty meh

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (08-01-19),TriBel (07-01-19)

Thanks

Runaways certainly is the best show on tv I'd only watch it for JM, as I find the kids really bland and often just annoying. I think they're just a box ticking exercise - black character, Asian character, plain girl, beautiful boy, gay couple etc. etc. The adults are far more interesting, but we don't get much of them because the show is aimed at kids. So I do understand why people wouldn't watch, I agree it's pretty meh
    Thank goodness - I thought it was just me coming down from my RD Jr / MCU high!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-01-19)

Thanks

Ah, I see why you're struggling. The show gets out of it's "fetch quest" mode in the future. If you're really struggling and still have the episodes, jump to the end of episode 10. While not a perfect show, it does the X-debate well. So far you're used to seeing the Mutant Underground scrape by while most humans hate them. There's...another POV coming and the end of the episode is quite a surprise to non-comic readers but also a cool payoff for those who were.

I do applaud the show for sticking with the difference of opinion in the 2nd season. This isn't just some Flash meta-cuff and jail the bad guy in one episode. If I can be less vague, one of main heroes will pull off a pure terrorist move by the finale and the kids will cross a certain line as well.

Episode 10 ending that really hyped a lot of people up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqpskyfVwc

Cloak & Dagger is rough in some spots. It was a later summer show and I had nothing else to watch really. I don't really like the actor for the main guy. Though it has potential, I enjoyed the Groundhog Day-esque episode, interviews with the showrunner seem interesting and the 3rd main (adult) character revealed by the end is somewhat intriguing.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-01-19),Stoney (08-01-19)

Thanks

The only thing that I had been enjoying about the show was that it was showing both sides of the argument better than some. I might have a look at 10 before ditching it then. But I must admit I don't feel hopeful as it was more the lack of appeal for the characters themselves and the corny aspects of the relationship writing that were the most off-putting and I'm not sure that'd change enough. I might finish watching Sharp Objects first now though.

Thanks for the thoughts one and all.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (08-01-19),Priceless (08-01-19)

Thanks

As, far as couples they end up putting one through the wringer for clear understandable reasons on both sides and even a tiff between another in the 2nd season has valid points on both ends.

I think in general the action and scope went up somewhat in the 2nd season (the one time so far are two mutant sides work together for example): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtmPTzFY_xU

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-01-19)

Thanks

If I decide not to continue it I'll risk the spoilers of watching the clip, just in case it changes my mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 749 Posts

I've just started the gifted. I missed the beginning episodes but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing on the current shows. I don't really like Amy Acker as an actress but she is not annoying me in this show. Actually I don't have a problem with her acting so much as her voice. I don't know why but it grates on me, it's one of the reasons I didn't like Angel. I know! Unpopular opinion but Fred just had such a fake little baby girl voice and I found it very irritating.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Stoney (10-01-19)

Thanks

The childish aspect of Fred's character was irritating, particularly seeing her being often presented as so appealing. I think Amy Acker can be great, she was outstanding as Illyria. But her character in The Gifted is so predictable and corny. When I've finished Sharp Objects I'll watch ep 10 and if I enjoy it I'll watch 8&9 then on, but I'm not expecting to like it enough to do that. We'll see.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (10-01-19)

Thanks

I did prefer Ilyria to Fred, probably because of the voice.

Thanks

Okay, so I watched eps 8-10 that I had and I'm going to drop it. The events of 10 were interesting but no more than any other aspects of the season so far to me (aside from one character reaction to an event I'd have been interested to see, but not with high expectations). The acting and corniness haven't improved any sadly. If I ever flicked through channels and caught an episode I might leave it on in the background, but I've too many shows sat waiting to watch to keep with this when it really isn't well done imo. Thanks to everyone for helping me to decide.

Thanks

I'm going to have to drop it too. I would have tried it for a bit longer but Roswell is coming on at the same time and I can only PVR one of them. I loved Roswell back in the day and I really want to give the reboot a chance.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (16-01-19)

Thanks

Is there no Roswell thread? Saw the pilot and really enjoyed it. The story is both familiar and fresh. It makes me hope the new Buffy will be good although I really don't think anything new will be able to compare. So the gifted is toast and Roswell has earned its spot on the PVR.