Thread: Marking Time by annapurna_2/Night Owl starting 22nd of December 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,647 Posts

Default Marking Time by annapurna_2/Night Owl starting 22nd of December 2018

I don`t want to put pressure on any of you by opening the discussion, before you had time to read this fic :-)

However, I was thinking, we could try something different this time. Since the holidays are coming up, we all might be short of time in the next couple of days or weeks. Therefore I thought, everyone should start to read and post their thoughts at their own pace and while going along. There`ll be no extra opening of the discussion. You can start, whenever you want to.

This fic is with 80k words a novel-length fic. I`d suggest, we allow about two or three weeks to read and discuss this.

You can read this fic either on ff.net or on livejournal:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2292652...ing-Time/Night owl
    https://annapurna-2.livejournal.com/870.html

This fic is also on EF, but only as a WIP. Interestingly this fic was first published in 2005 and finally completed in 2011. It is set post NFA and the writer labelled it as Hurt/Comfort.

I am looking forward to this!

Dear annapurna_2/Night Owl, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 28-12-18 at 08:10 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (23-12-18),kamw30 (22-12-18),Priceless (22-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (22-12-18)

Thanks

Just a quick reminder to everybody, that this thread is still running and possibly will be open until somehwerer around mid January. I hope some you will manage to read it and pop in for discussing this story or sharing their thoughts about it.

flow

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (25-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,667 Times in 4,168 Posts

Well I've just started Chapter 8. I am enjoying this story. Spike has been trapped between worlds with Buffy nursing him back to health, and feeding him her blood. Angel and Gunn are trapped in another dimension are they are planning a rescue mission. There's a lot going on, and it's well written. Spike has just woken up, so things are goin to get more interesting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (27-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,131 Times in 997 Posts

I'm late to the party but plan on catching up!

- - - Updated - - -

Just read chapter one and I already know this is the story for me. I loved it. The characterizations are great.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm done! I really enjoyed the story. It was fast paced and easy to read. I think the author did a really good job with Buffy's inner voice. I don't think Buffy really needs to feel so bad about the past, well maybe the outside the police station incident but I don't mind the story being told that way for dramatic purposes. I also like that there was no character bashing. I thought the "Buffy speak" was done nicely and I smiled a few times at it.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (26-12-18),Priceless (26-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (27-12-18)

Thanks

I'm lagging behind, I'm only just starting Chapter 13. I've enjoyed it up to now, and I like how she's portrayed Angel in Chapter 12. I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't like him bashed and Night Owl has written him as quite sympathetic. I also like how Buffy and Spike keep falling out, tripping over each other and themselves as they try to move forward

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (30-12-18),GoSpuffy (27-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (27-12-18),TriBel (27-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,190 Posts

"She was verging on head-tilt overload" (Ch 21). Yes - and so am I! I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I wish he'd keep his bloody head still and stop "arching his eyebrow" They're a dysfunctional couple but I like the dynamic.Voicing is spot-on for all the characters and I really enjoyed the story. I'd be more than happy if that was canon.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (30-12-18),GoSpuffy (28-12-18),Priceless (28-12-18)

Thanks

I am seriously lagging behind on this. Meaning, I am starting to read now

flow

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (29-12-18),Priceless (29-12-18),TriBel (29-12-18)

Thanks

I'm lagging behind too. I'm upto Buffy feeling incredibly guilty about maybe stopping Spike Shanshu-ing. I'm quite glad if she did, I don't want Spike to be human. Hope he feels the same

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (30-12-18),TriBel (29-12-18)

Thanks

I only made it through the first four chapters so far. Maybe I am a bit cranky, because Christmas is over, but I am not really getting into this story. I realized that the "Spike is amnesiac, injured, ill, comatoes, feral or whatever and Buffy has to nurse him back -trope" is not my cup of tea. Sorry, Pricey, i know it is one of your favorite tropes. But I like my Spike badass and not depending on others. I also don`t like Buffy flagellating herself much for season 6. It`s been a mutual abusive relationship. I don`t want her to take the blame alone.

It is very well written. I like all the voicings and characterizations so far. I might get more into this, as soon as they go on their Angel-rescue-mission.

flow

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-12-18),TriBel (30-12-18)

Thanks

I know a few of you find Buffy too self-flagellating, but I don't read that at all. She does often blame herself for the problems in her relationship with Spike, but I didn't think she over did it at all in this fic. I thought she was much worse in Life Harsh/Hard and that put me off finishing that fic.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-12-18),TriBel (30-12-18)

Thanks

A very nice Xander speech in Chapter 5. Xander gets bashed so often in fics, that it is soothing, to hear him talk like Xander would.

flow

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (31-12-18),Priceless (30-12-18)

Thanks

Chapter 10. Hmph. They are on an extremly hazardous rescue mission. Time is of importance. The portal might collaps any second. They don`t know, where the have gotten themselves into. It might be a dangerous, dimension. Monster could be lurking just a few steps away. They need to find Angel and Gunn. Their lives could be at stake.

No time like this, for a little make-out session. You know, bare forearms are bare forearms. All stops get pulled instantly ...

Oh, that`s an interesting question. Would Spike actually have dusted Drusilla in Crush, if Buffy had promised him the crumb he was asking for in return? I have never thought about that, but it is intriguing.

What do you think?

No replies? I am going to create a thread on the main board. There you go ...

I like her characterizations for every character, but her Angel is really the best. It is almost heartbreaking to see, how happy he is about the shanshu.

annapurna also has a very skilled way, of switching from drama to funny in just one sentence. Here is an example:

But that was before the soul. Now, he handled disappointment in a different way.

And it tasted like ashes.

Or…dirt, maybe. Possibly because he was suddenly lying flat on his face in the middle of the road, a familiar weight pressing down against his back.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 03-01-19 at 07:56 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-01-19)

Thanks

I have finally finished Marking Time!.

The story had a breathtaking plot. It really manages new twists over the course of 27 chapters and it`s never getting repetetive or boring. We have Spike in coma, the alternate universe, the shanhshu, the raid, the portal, the PTB`s .. every time you think, now the writer has told everything, she comes up with something new. A huge plus for me - as I said before - is the characterization of Angel. I really liked him. Spike was also very spot on, but he was spot on for the AtS season 5 version of Spike and I am sorry to say, that this is not may favorite version of Spike.

Spike and Buffy always misreading and misinterpreting each others speeches and actions was a bit thick, but I was okay with it, because it was needed for their interactions, which were the heart and soul of this fic, imho. This part was written like a screwball comedy and it worked fabulously.
    To say something a tad critical (if you are the writer, please ignore this): I thought, the shanshu was too important for this fic, especially for the last part of it. I don`t see Buffy going to the PTB`s behind Spike`s back and without asking him first about giving him a second chance at becoming shanshued. Also - like Pricey i don`t even want Spike to be shanhsued, so there`s that. I liked though, how Angel was still a fighter and a leader although he had no superpowers anymore.

flow

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (05-01-19),Priceless (05-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,190 Posts

Can I just say that I read it a week ago. I remember really enjoying it but I've since forgotten what it was about. It's a problem because it means I can't comment but not quite as big a problem as forgetting I have to go to work on Monday (I could have sworn it was the 14th but apparently it's the 7th).

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (01-02-19),Priceless (06-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 588 Posts

Way behind all of you, I recently read this fic. It was well-written, and I enjoyed the adventure aspect and all the new original characters, but the constant miscommunications and misunderstandings between Buffy and Spike really annoyed me. If something like that happens once in a fic, fine. It can make for some nice drama and conflict. But all the time? No thanks, not my cup of tea. Fortunately the story had many other things going for it, otherwise I might have given up reading out of sheer frustration.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

flow (01-02-19),Priceless (01-02-19)