Thread: Hey, Look! A Life Raft

Hellmouth Tourist Dingoes8MyName's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hey, Look! A Life Raft

Hello! I come to you from the land of Tumblr.

Let's see. I'm from Massachusetts. Buffy is my favorite show ever. I write mostly metas and character analysis, but I do dabble in the occasional fanfic.

I tend to write/read/watch for story first, ships second. I respect all shippers and I always welcome alternate perspectives on ships I may not particularly enjoy or understand. I do have ships that I'm particularly drawn to, either because I personally think they're adorable, or I find them interesting from a story perspective. My particular favorites are Willow/Oz, Buffy/Angel, Jenny/Giles, and Cordelia/Doyle. I've also grown to appreciate Buffy/Spike, Buffy/Faith, and Cordelia/Xander. My favorite characters are Oz, Cordelia, Buffy, Xander, Fred, and Gunn.

I'm always open to new ships or new perspectives on characters! I don't mind criticism or debate as long as it's respectful. I do sometimes get salty myself when it comes to triggery subjects. I don't often realize it until I re-read so please feel free to check me if I get a little uppety.

Outside of the Buffyverse, other favorite fandoms include Supernatural, Sons of Anarchy/Mayans MC, One Tree Hill, Penny Dreadful, Outsiders, 13 Reasons Why, Harry Potter, Bates Motel, and The Lost Boys (among other things). I also have an at times uncomfortable obsession with true crime documentries/docuseries. I'm an aspiring writer, if I could finish worldbuilding and get a draft polished anyway. That's all I can think of for now. Hi!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dingoes8MyName For This Useful Post:

bespangled (15-12-18),Double Dutchess (15-12-18),flow (16-12-18),GoSpuffy (16-12-18),Priceless (16-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-12-18),Stoney (16-12-18),TriBel (16-12-18),vampmogs (16-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 588 Posts

Hello and welcome to the land of Buffyforums!

Feel free to explore and make this your new home, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you feel yourself a bit lost in this (for now) unfamiliar territory.

Oh and great user name by the way.

ETA: speaking of life rafts, coincidentally I was just reading (on Tumblr!) the story of the RMS Carpathia which against all odds managed to pick up many of the people from the Titanic lifeboats. We'll be happy to be your Carpathia!
    Last edited by Double Dutchess; 15-12-18 at 11:34 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Dingoes8MyName (15-12-18),Priceless (16-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-12-18),TriBel (16-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 805 Posts

Wohoo! You're here! I am so glad you joined us. Like I said, this place is mellow and enjoyable. Debate can get brisk, but once something has been explored we all agree to let it go with no hard feelings. I wasn't sure about boards after my experience elsewhere but I really like this place. BTW - spikesjojo here.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Dingoes8MyName (16-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-12-18),TriBel (16-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,640 Times in 5,656 Posts

Hi Dingoes8MyName, welcome to the board. Feel free to shout out if you have any questions, otherwise I'll see you around the threads.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dingoes8MyName (16-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,657 Times in 4,165 Posts

Hello! Welcome to the forum I'm also a big Cordelia fan, she's the hero of AtS for me. I ship her with Angel, but we can work around that Hope you have fun here

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Dingoes8MyName (16-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 810 Posts

Hi Dingoes8MyName! Great to meet you, and awesome username btw Welcome to the board, I'll look fwd to seeing you around!
    buffylover made this stunning banner

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Dingoes8MyName (16-12-18)

Thanks

Howdy! This forum is pretty chill, but we're all enthusiastic about the material!

There's lots on the site about fic, fic writing, fic recs, etc. And there's always something interesting under discussion somewhere!
    Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,642 Posts

Dingoes8MyName:
    Buffy is my favorite show ever. I write mostly metas and character analysis, but I do dabble in the occasional fanfic.
    Hi,

welcome to this forum. I hope, you will love it around here. If you have written meta and character analysis (on tumblr?), you are welcome, to post them in extra threads on this board. You will have to post at least fibe Posts though, before you can create your own thread. People here love to delve in analysis.
    We also have subforums and threads for fan art, we have a discussion group for fan fiction fans, a comic section (do you also read the comics?), threads for podcast and last not least a couple of games.

If you have any questions at all, just give us a shout!

What´s going on on tumblr at the moment? I`ve heard about the issue with posts getting flagged, but is the place having a meltdown now?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

15. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Dingoes8MyName (16-12-18)

Hellmouth Tourist Dingoes8MyName's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have written meta and character analysis (on tumblr?), you are welcome, to post them in extra threads on this board.
    Yes, my metas and analyses are on Tumblr.

...we have a discussion group for fan fiction fans, a comic section (do you also read the comics?), threads for podcast and last not least a couple of games.
    I've read some of the comics, but not most of them.

What´s going on on tumblr at the moment? I`ve heard about the issue with posts getting flagged, but is the place having a meltdown now?
    I'm not sure. I know NSFW content is being flagged kind of willy-nilly, but my blog hasn't been affected that I know of.

My experience on Tumblr has been more from the fandom itself. I tend to be critical in my metas, which means they're not all happy sunshine. When I write a meta it's generally because I'm trying to understand a character or a ship, so I end up examining both positive and negative aspects in order to look at the full picture. I don't write metas that are just showering love and praise on a ship or a character. This does not often go over on Tumblr. Because Tumblr is designed to allow people to build and build on content, there's no way to moderate additions to a post. I love respectful discussion and even disagreement with my metas. I've had my mind changed on many characters and ships because people shared perspectives I hadn't considered. What I don't like is unkind bashing of my posts simply because I've poked at a character or a ship and people feel attacked by that. Then I feel attacked and I get salty and it's a vicious cycle.

I've mostly just been clicking around and reading existing discussions. I'm sure I'll be jumping into a few shortly!

Thanks, everybody, for the warm welcome

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dingoes8MyName For This Useful Post:

flow (16-12-18),Priceless (16-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (24-08-19)