Thread: CBS Paid Eliza Dushku $9.5 Million to Settle Harassment Claims:

Thanks

Default CBS Paid Eliza Dushku $9.5 Million to Settle Harassment Claims:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/b...arassment.html

This is one of the top stories on the nytimes.com website and is the top story on the https://www.nytimes.com/trending/ webpage.

Wow. This particularly caught my attention:
    After the talk, Mr. Weatherly sent a text to David Stapf, the president of CBS Television Studios, saying that he wanted to talk about Ms. Dushku’s sense of humor. Mr. Stapf replied that Ms. Dushku made the show better, according to the interview notes.

Around the same time, Ms. Dushku expressed the worry to her representatives that Mr. Weatherly might go to CBS and get her fired.

That is effectively what happened. Within days of confronting Mr. Weatherly, Ms. Dushku was written off the show.
    "sense of humor"?

Mr. Engstrom handed over outtakes from “Bull” in the belief that they would help the company’s cause, because they showed Ms. Dushku cursing on the set, investigators wrote in the draft of their report.

The strategy backfired. The outtakes were a “gold mine” for Ms. Dushku, the lawyers wrote, because they “actually captured some of the harassment on film.”
    This is disgusting. Cursing somehow excuses sexual harassment and firing somehow who doesn't like being sexually harassed?

Mr. Weatherly, Mr. Caron and Amblin Television were parties to the settlement agreement, which prohibited Ms. Dushku from discussing her experiences on the show in exchange for the $9.5 million payment.

The settlement agreement came about in January, when the #MeToo movement was on the rise, three months after the first articles on Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct appeared in The Times and The New Yorker.
    It's sad that the amount of the payout may have been influenced by the #MeToo movement.

But I'm glad that "punitive damages" seem to be included in the payout. It seems very rare nowadays that "punitive damages" exist.

The article says Eliza Dushku was getting $35K per episode for 3 episodes, which isn't a lot of money for a well-known actor: and a considerable percentage of that goes to agents, managers, attorneys, publicists, etc. Michael Weatherly was in a clear position of power and the series was dangling "series regular" possibilities on Eliza.

I'm glad Eliza got a nice payout, but sadly her career will probably be greatly hurt by this. She still seems only hired for her looks and 'sex symbol' status. Being an on 'old person' series for CBS may have expanded her acting possibilities.

Summer Glau is a good actor, yet after Firefly was hired for her 'sex symbol' status in the 'nerd community'. Summer hasn't worked much since... https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1132359/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Finally, do others on this Board read The New York Times? I was surprised no one mentioned this article.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (14-12-18),ghoststar (14-12-18),Priceless (14-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (14-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,268 Posts

It was mentioned by a thing of evil on another thread. This is my other post:

Yep, saw it this morning. It's disgusting. Rape jokes! F**king rape jokes! Did the world know what a slimey bastard Michael Weatherly was and I've just missed the stories? #MeToo is making absolutely no impact if men like this feel they can still talk to women in this manner, and have a massive corporation like CBS cover it up for them. It sounds like CBS is rotten to the core and needs a total house clean.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (14-12-18),MikeB (14-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (14-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 1,698 Posts

Good for her, to have recieved financial compensation. But horrible, it happened at all. I really feel sorry for her, considering that she has been sexually harrassed/abused as a kid while filming True Lies. To have to go through this again must have been traumatic for her.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

MikeB (14-12-18),Priceless (14-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (14-12-18),Stoney (15-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Good for her, to have recieved financial compensation. But horrible, it happened at all. I really feel sorry for her, considering that she has been sexually harrassed/abused as a kid while filming True Lies. To have to go through this again must have been traumatic for her.

flow
    Very good point flow, Weatherley/CBS must have known what Eliza has already gone through. It just makes it all a lot worse that they feel safe enough to behave in the way they do

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

MikeB (14-12-18)

Thanks

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* The #MeToo movement overall has been negative for both men and women. Fewer men are going to college and fewer men are staying in college. Women aren't getting mentored as much, cannot have as many one-on-one discussions with men, cannot be alone anywhere with a man, etc. Women aren't even given CPR for fear of legal consequences.

The #MeToo movement had/s the problem of somehow being accused automatically means you're guilty--this not including such cases where the guilty party is already known to be guilty.

Such cases as Eliza Dushku's are clearly different given the witnesses and even video tape of the incident.

* Corporations do cost-benefit analysis. Cost-benefit analysis is the entire point of why punitive damages exist. If a firm knows a settlement, payout, whatever, will cost less than the profits made doing something, they will probably do that something. See: the Financial Crisis.

This series Bull --which I never heard of before reading this article--is a hit series and Eliza Dushku signed a confidentiality clause/agreement. The series was continuing to make many millions of advertising dollars and Michael Weatherby was the star of the series.

EDIT:

Regarding the True Lies stuff with Eliza Dushku, sadly, it was actually surprising to me that Eliza even got hired for this CBS series because the network and CBS should have known she 'spoke out' about #MeToo and thus could have decided it wasn't 'worth the risk' of hiring her if any of the people involved with the series sexually harassed her.

This is a reality in the hiring world in which firms are reluctant to even hire women for concern that some #MeToo thing might happen.
    Last edited by MikeB; 14-12-18 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added remarks

Thanks

I'm coming to the conclusion that #MeToo is pretty useless. It's good for the Hollywood types who are bringing down big names, but for ordinary people, what has it done to help? Do people feel more secure to speak out now? I can't say I've seen much evidence of that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,027 Posts

Real change takes time. its probably too late for the current men in power to change their stripes. However it's not too late for the next generation to see change is needed, for women to demand and expect more, for the next richy rich college kid aimed at being a judge to think "hey there could be consequences to my actions". Don't give up yet. Women will become bolder. Society will become less accepting of overt harassment.
    Last edited by GoSpuffy; 15-12-18 at 05:02 PM.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-12-18),Stoney (15-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/b...arassment.html

I'm glad Eliza got a nice payout, but sadly her career will probably be greatly hurt by this. She still seems only hired for her looks and 'sex symbol' status. Being an on 'old person' series for CBS may have expanded her acting possibilities.

Summer Glau is a good actor, yet after Firefly was hired for her 'sex symbol' status in the 'nerd community'. Summer hasn't worked much since... https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1132359/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Finally, do others on this Board read The New York Times? I was surprised no one mentioned this article.
    I'm mystified by why they became more popular as sex symbols than for their acting. I actually find Glau rather homely; Dushku isn't bad-looking, but I find her appearance more "moderately-attractive everywoman" than "va-va-voom!" However, Dollhouse proved that they both have a wide acting range, and they'd be well-suited to the real-life roles of "indie darling" and "character actor." I guess I'm just never going to understand how Hollywood works.