Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stranger Things

Thanks
    Thanked 8,675 Times in 4,173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    OMG Erica became so bloody annoying imo. I mean who lets a kid talk to strangers like that? I mean 'bald bastard?" I thought the writers really over egged her rudeness and It became out and out insulting. That and the song at the end that went on for far, far too long. I mean talk about poor timing.
    I agree Erica was over written but I still enjoyed her character. She added add something different to all the other kids who are beginning to seem very samey and indistinguishable between each other.

Do you mean Dustin and Suzi's song? I think the joke was that it went on too long and went from sweet and funny to just pure cringe.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (12-08-19)

Thanks

Didn't have any problem with the romance. I ♥ Max & El together (MAXEL - friend 'ship' name? ) They could have their own webseries. I'd def watch that!

Sunnydale High Student Nebula1400's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Finally watched the first two eps of S3 and they were really enjoyable. The yuk factor is higher and it's scarier than the previous two seasons. The plot seems to have been beefed up too, with a plot about possible Russian involvement. Hopper has been regressed a little bit, but he's as fun as ever. The children's romantic life doesn't really interest me very much, and I hope we don't have to watch too many scenes of that.
    I ultimately hated this season, because of the over-used, anti-Russian Cold War trope, complete with one-dimensional stereotypes. Seriously, use of it is just lazy writing. I won't be watching this series again.
    Last edited by Nebula1400; 27-08-19 at 06:49 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,210 Posts

Oh I'll be watching again, even though for me this season was uneven and relied too much on certain over used troupes. I didn't like how they over egged Hoppers aggression and Erica's insulting behaviour to others did my head in.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I loved first season, but was quite disappointed by second, so I was uncertain if I wanted to watch third. Until I saw Soviet soldiers in it. I mean I had watched my share of crappy american B movies in actual 80s, I have no desire to do it now. I did enjoyed them for what they were then. Films like Rambo 3 with all their hilarious stupidity had generated lots of memes in Russia. But I've had enough of that already. And as I've said I loved first season and I just don't want to ruin it for me with such crap. I mean I don't know if it's crap for certain as I didn't watch it, of course, but signs are all there. Like Soviet army soldiers in uniform. Why they wear uniform? Such kind of operation would be executed by KGB operatives in civil clothes, not by army. And red shoulders straps aren't even part of field uniform, they are from parade uniform. I know that sounds like nitpicking and it totally is, but it's enough for me to see that writers had absolutely no desire to make it authentic. Not that I would even expect it from them though. I saw exactly one American movie about Russia that was mostly realistic (and even then ending joke was kind of stupid, funny, but stupid anyway).

As side note about lazy stereotypes, "Barry", HBO TV-Series. Hilarious dark comedy, with very serious moments. I like it very much and would recommend it to anyone. It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, of course, but it's worth to give it a shot at least. But for all good that in it, it's also a fine example of lazy stereotypes about foreigners in American media. So in first season's episode Barry is contacted by boss of Chechen criminal syndicate to kill lover of his wife. All is good, except one thing, it's absolutely unrealistic. First of all they just took usual fake Russian Hollywood stereotype and by some bizarre reason made them Chechen. So we've got a character with Balkan name, played by clearly Jewish actor. Have they ever seen a single Chechen in their life? Could they at least google it? I know that explanation for such laziness is that American public wouldn't see anything strange here and it would bother only very tiny part of their audience, so I understand the reason for their laziness. But it's still laziness. And if I can overlook it for "Barry" which is very grotesque by it's nature anyway, I just can't do that for "Stranger things".
    Last edited by Alce; 27-08-19 at 04:34 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

Nebula1400 (27-08-19),Silver1 (27-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

It's not nick picking imo It's just another case of American writers being too lazy learn about any country beyond their front door.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 739 Posts

It's not laziness. I don't even watch Stranger Things and I know that the whole thing is a nostalgic homage to/pastiche of 80s Americana - obviously, you're going to have cheesy horror movie monsters, creepy children with superpowers, evil communists, karate, aliens and shit. Those were the pop-cultural staples of the era the show draws from. If you want to get angry about how American media portray the rest of the world, sure, I won't stop you, go ahead, but seriously, there are far, far more egregious examples than a silly show.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (28-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Well talking for myself I'm not angry just amused at how f*cking lazy many of todays TV writers can be. Christ there's a thing called the 'Internet' there's no excuse not to do at least some research.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Alce (28-08-19),Nebula1400 (01-09-19)

Sunnydale High Student Nebula1400's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    It's not laziness. I don't even watch Stranger Things and I know that the whole thing is a nostalgic homage to/pastiche of 80s Americana - obviously, you're going to have cheesy horror movie monsters, creepy children with superpowers, evil communists, karate, aliens and shit. Those were the pop-cultural staples of the era the show draws from. If you want to get angry about how American media portray the rest of the world, sure, I won't stop you, go ahead, but seriously, there are far, far more egregious examples than a silly show.
    This article pretty much articulates my thinking on this.

Thanks

Seems like a lot of Stranger Things hate especially from peeps who haven't even seen the show (or this season).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Well I've watched all of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Seems like a lot of Stranger Things hate especially from peeps who haven't even seen the show (or this season).
    I thought Season 3 was better than Season 2. It was scarier and the Russians were great, very 80's view of the cold-war and the 'Russian threat'. The only thing I didn't enjoy was all the teen romance, which I thought was a bit cringey.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (06-09-19),Silver1 (03-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 836 Posts

I thought Season 3 was better than Season 2. It was scarier and the Russians were great, very 80's view of the cold-war and the 'Russian threat'. The only thing I didn't enjoy was all the teen romance, which I thought was a bit cringey.
    Teen romances are cringey, though. I definitely liked it over S2 if for other reason than there being less Nancy/Jonathan.

I think Stranger Things has hit the turning point where it becomes too mainstream and it is now cool to dislike it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-09-19)

Thanks

Mostly agree. Didn't mind the romance. Need more MaxEL (friendSHIP)! Those 2 were a hoot! Hopefully Hopper will be back. Pretty sure he will be. *fingers & toes crossed* I liked S3 overall more than 2, but felt that S2 had some highlights/episodes that were better, if that makes any sense.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Mostly agree. Didn't mind the romance. Need more MaxEL (friendSHIP)! Those 2 were a hoot! Hopefully Hopper will be back. Pretty sure he will be. *fingers & toes crossed* I liked S3 overall more than 2, but felt that S2 had some highlights/episodes that were better, if that makes any sense.
    It does make sense. I thought Hopper was a bit of a let down this season, expecting Wynona to do all the emotional labour with Elle, and forget about Sean far too quickly (this is Sean Astin we're talking about here) I am sure Hopper will be back, but I hope he's a better person because I'm starting not to like him

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (06-09-19)

Thanks

Anyone ever told you...
    You don't tug on superman's cape
    You don't spit into the wind
    You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
    And you don't mess around with Jim (Hopper)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-09-19)

Thanks

Any word on S4, yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,132 Times in 997 Posts

There's some info on it here https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-d...ilers-netflix/

It's not official BUT it was planned to have 4 seasons total so they expect one more to close the story.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (22-09-19),Priceless (22-09-19),Silver1 (23-09-19)

Thanks

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (01-10-19),Priceless (30-09-19),Silver1 (30-09-19)