Thread: Advertising question

Hellmouth Tourist Vague that up for me's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Advertising question

Hi everyone.

So along with a friend I recently started a Buffy podcast with strong feminist conversation. I would say the content is like 60/40 Buffy content vs feminist commentary.

I look forward to becoming a part of this community and wanted to make sure I dont step on any toes. I checked the faq and rules but saw nothing about advertising. Am i free to create a thread inviting people to check out my podcast or is there something I missed that will make me glad I posted this question first?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vague that up for me For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-11-18),vampmogs (22-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,156 Posts

It's probably better if an admin answers that question. But I suspect that it won't bother anyone if you make a thread about your podcast if you are posting and participating on this forum. Linkdumps will probably be marked as 'spam' and deleted. That said, you can also place the link in your signature and then people will see it everytime you post (if you want to play it safe).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks

Thank you for the advice! I think I will stick with the signature for now until I get to know the community a bit better just to be safe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 539 Posts

I know that Joss was a feminist icon and now his show seems hardly feminist but that proves things have changed radically in 20 years and for the better. If you actually treat this as an historical show set in the 80's and showing the 80's reality then this works for me. If it's another gripe list with outrage...not so much.

It's too much like watching a show set in the 1850's and then listening to complaints about how they shouldn't show slavery because slavery is evil. I'd rather hear about how this portrays an historical reality that existed and how hard it was at the time. I already know slavery and misogyny are wrong, as is the patriarchy and toxic masculinity. Had Buffy known that it would be a different show.

Good luck either way.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (22-11-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,036 Posts

Hey Vague,

welcome to this forum! We have a many avid podcast listeners here on buffyforums (I am not one of them, though). I am sure many people will be interested. We actually have a favorite podcast thread. If you would like to look at that, you can find it here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...urite-Podcasts

But you are very welcome to post links to your podcast here or in a separate thread, created only for your podcast. I am sure, people, who listen to podcasts, will be delighted, to discuss your episodes with you.

I hope to see you around a lot. If you have any questions about how to browse or navigate this forum, please don`t hesitate to give us a shout.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (22-11-18),Nina (22-11-18),Priceless (23-11-18),Stoney (22-11-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18),vampmogs (22-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    I know that Joss was a feminist icon and now his show seems hardly feminist but that proves things have changed radically in 20 years and for the better. If you actually treat this as an historical show set in the 80's and showing the 80's reality then this works for me. If it's another gripe list with outrage...not so much.

It's too much like watching a show set in the 1850's and then listening to complaints about how they shouldn't show slavery because slavery is evil. I'd rather hear about how this portrays an historical reality that existed and how hard it was at the time. I already know slavery and misogyny are wrong, as is the patriarchy and toxic masculinity. Had Buffy known that it would be a different show.

Good luck either way.
    Although this podcast is in no way designed to complain about Joss Whedon or his fall from feminist hero status in the eyes of many (myself included) I have to admit this podcast may not be the one for you.

Kayla who is my partner in this podcast has never seen the show and is watching it one episode at a time because despite its creator I view this show as one of the first great pro-feminism shows to have existed. That being said I must admit we do absolutly point out the failings in the show on many fronts as they come up and because we are still in the early episodes of season one wich offer limited story to focus on we have focused quite heavily on the patriarchal issues thus far. Although we do absolutely take note of how different things were in the late 90s when this show was created I don't think that is quite what you had in mind when you mentioned treating the show as a historical show.

I would like to end with the caveat that for all the negatives we point out we also have many positive things to say about the shows roll in feminism.
    https://vaguethatupforme.wordpress.com

Vague that up for me is a new podcast where two Liberal Canadian feminist women share their views on Buffy the vampire slayer one episode at a time.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vague that up for me For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-11-18),vampmogs (23-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Hey Vague,

welcome to this forum! We have a many avid podcast listeners here on buffyforums (I am not one of them, though). I am sure many people will be interested. We actually have a favorite podcast thread. If you would like to look at that, you can find it here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...urite-Podcasts

But you are very welcome to post links to your podcast here or in a separate thread, created only for your podcast. I am sure, people, who listen to podcasts, will be delighted, to discuss your episodes with you.

I hope to see you around a lot. If you have any questions about how to browse or navigate this forum, please don`t hesitate to give us a shout.

flow
    Thank you so much that is remarkably helpful and I will head over to that thread next.

I must say I have been wary of posting because everyone here is so eloquent and insightful and I am slightly intimidated in the best possible way. I will absolutely come out of my shell shortly but so far I have found little to say that has not already been said. It is so refreshing to find a group of people with so many wonderful things to say about this show I have loved for so long and I look forward to the moment when I find a post where I have something worth wile to contribute!

Vague that up for me is a new podcast where two Liberal Canadian feminist women share their views on Buffy the vampire slayer one episode at a time.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vague that up for me For This Useful Post:

flow (23-11-18),Priceless (23-11-18),Silver1 (24-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (23-11-18),Stoney (23-11-18),TriBel (23-11-18),vampmogs (23-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 2,906 Posts

Hey Vague, welcome to the forum. I am an avid listener to podcasts and will definitely listen to yours. Good Luck with it. I imagine it's a huge undertaking. Is this your first podcast?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Hey Vague, welcome to the forum. I am an avid listener to podcasts and will definitely listen to yours. Good Luck with it. I imagine it's a huge undertaking. Is this your first podcast?
    It is indeed my first podcast and if I am being honest I am in a bit over my head but both myself and my podcast partner Kayla learn best in a trial by fire environment and I fogure with season one being such a slog anyway we can be forgiven if it takes some time tonget our feet under us.

Im just on my way to the general discussion page to create a thread for the pod in hopes of finding some feedback to help improve the show. Hope to see you there!!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Vague that up for me For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 2,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vague that up for me View Post
    It is indeed my first podcast and if I am being honest I am in a bit over my head but both myself and my podcast partner Kayla learn best in a trial by fire environment and I fogure with season one being such a slog anyway we can be forgiven if it takes some time tonget our feet under us.

Im just on my way to the general discussion page to create a thread for the pod in hopes of finding some feedback to help improve the show. Hope to see you there!!!
    Wish you loads of luck with the podcast. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but even if I didn't, I'd still wish you success.

I think it's mainly nostalgia, but there's a lot to like in S1. I've got a soft spot for The Puppet Show . . . I'll get my coat

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Vague that up for me (24-11-18)