Thread: Super Food World by Valerie X starting 23rd November 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

Default Super Food World by Valerie X starting 23rd November 2018

It`s time to announce our next fanfic!

Super Food World by Valerie X.

Valerie X has sadly passed away in her mid-thirties. She has written some of the most beautiful Spuffy fanfics I have ever come across. One of them - Redeeming Spike`s Ass - will sadly remain a permanent WIP. This one - Super Food World - is set in season6.

Spike and Buffy go grocery shopping, with angst and fluff.
    Post-Doublemeat Palace, Rated R, Spike/Buffy, 12646 words.

You can find it here:

http://www.allaboutspike.com/fic.html?id=69

The discussion will start next Friday, 23rd of November 2018.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,434 Times in 4,066 Posts

I think I may have read this, and really enjoyed it.

Thanks

The discussion is officially open!

flow

Thanks

I've been away for a week, and I'm away again next week, so I just haven't had a chance to read it. I will try to make a start this weekend. It's not too long, so I may finish it this weekend and comment

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 971 Posts

I really enjoyed this fic. I think it's the first one I've read on "all about Spike" . Im kind of sad the site doesn't accept new stories and the author has passed. S12 blues about the end of the fandom making me blue? Or just your regular S6 sadness? I think the author captured S6 really well. Yes Buffy was depressed but not so deply depressed she couldn't enjoy her time with a certain snarky vampire. And Spike is well written in that he is edgy and a bit of an a-hole and not some perfect manpire. I enjoyed his reaction to talking about menstrual cycles. And Priceless has made me a sucker for a well written Dawn or dawn/Spike friendship, what the heck happened? I'm sure I used to hate Dawn. I have to admit to a giggle when Buffy told dawn the scanner turned Spike gay. I'm so "woke" now that I could immediately see It is wrong to call being gay "alternative lifestyle" , so I'm kind of proud of myself for recognizing that as being wrong.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-11-18)

Thanks

I started reading this on All About Spike, but the punctuation was all over the place, so I found if on Fanfiction.net and it's much easier to read for me, link below

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/663796/1/Super-Food-World

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd read this before, but I hadn't. I loved it. The dialogue was snappy and sharp and the voices were perfect. The humour was all there, interspersed between some very moving monologues. Spike talking about Dawn's love of cran-apple and the day after Buffy's death was beautifully written.

There are some lovely little touches, like the importance of the cran-apple, the frozen food aisle joke and Buffy grinding her teeth. I love that Valerie X took all these little everyday things and made them important to the story of Buffy and Spike. I love that they're having this deeply passionate, raging conversation while doing the grocery shop, it's such a perfect juxtaposition.

Chapter 4, when Buffy says that if she were a different person, she could love him, had me in tears. Buffy's whole monologue about love was so well written. Spike's reply, 'And if you were a different person, I wouldn't love you. So if nothing else, we can at least apreciate the irony,' was just perfect.

The scanner joke was a dud, definitely, but Valerie blames her husband for that. I don't think Buffy or Dawn would make such a joke and if they did, I don't think Spike would care. He does use derogatory language, but at the same time he can call himself Angel's date, so I don't think Spike would care if he were called gay. I think he was probably playing up the upset to be more entertaining for Buffy and Dawn, or that's how I'm going to fanon it

I really enjoyed this fic and would recommend it to every Spuffy fan. It's incredibly sweet but also has depth, with both characters looking at their own motives and behaviours within the relationship. I will try and read some more of Valerie X and she could very well get herself on my list of favourite fic writers if all her work is this good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (24-11-18)

Thanks

Please be aware, that at least one of her fics - Redeeming Spike`s Ass - is a permanent WIP.

flow

11. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-11-18)

Thanks

I can only agree with GoSpuffy and Priceless.

This fic Shows us Buffy struggeling with finances, her responsibility for Dawn and her relationship with Spike and at the same time there are lines that are so funny or hilarious that I had to laugh out loud.

Spike is snarky and cocky and edgy but suddenly out of the blue he tries to comfort Buffy and it breaks my heart. And then he`ll open a package of Cheetos and starts eating them before he has actually payed for them and that completely pisses Buffy off. And in the next second they start talking about Dawn`s grief after Buffy`death. The whole fic is nothing but wonderful banter, casual conversation, verbal sparring and insightful talk between Spike and Buffy and it always hits the mark.

It`s a 10/10 for me and I don`t care about the line about the scanner

flow

13. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (27-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 579 Posts

This is another fic I read way behind all of you. I'm glad I did, because I thought it was terrific, for the same reasons others have already pointed out.

I liked it so much that I went on reading the other stories by the same author, but sadly I didn't enjoy most of those nearly as much. Still well-written, with some of the same qualities that made Super Food World so great, but also too many gay jokes (yes, there turns out to be a pattern), too many words-spelled-backwards as demon names and some other things that get annoying (to me anyway) if they make an appearance at least once in each and every story.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

flow (03-02-19),GoSpuffy (02-02-19),Priceless (01-02-19)