Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could recommend just one fanfic

Thanks

I would suggest the Of Old Mystics by Wolfling and Ophalmos -- I've recommended it over and over. It is a Giles/Ethan pairing. The first I ever read, but it's about way more than just slash sex. It is so very complex and interesting -- about healing, about the mission of slaying and saving the world -- and yes, about the love between two very damaged people and how they come back to it. It was the first slash story that held my attention. Before this I was not a great fan of slash b/c I thought (and still think) too many of them are about 'love pwetty bwoys, let's make them #*@%' PWP is fine, it's just not that exciting to me at this stage in my life.

This is hot, but it's way more than that -- and the 'boys' are grown men, even middle aged men, and I find that more interesting than the eyecandy #*@%-fics.

It is now archived on AO3
    Of Old Mystics

This not only made me want to read more slash, it also made me want to try my hand at seriously writing fan fiction. So I at least somewhat owe this fic my million plus words of fiction.

Blue
    Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 29-11-18 at 02:42 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (29-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-11-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kamw30 View Post
    I’ve been lurking around this part of the forum for a while now - mainly looking for recs to be honest. I’ve read a lot of fan fiction so I’m up for anything.

I’ve been wondering for a while why I never see Barb Cummings mentioned? She was the first author I ever got hooked on and it was her writing that made me like Buffy - Angearia and Lizarel had me loving her but Barb ‘showed’ her to me. So if I was recommending one only it would be Necessary Evils

Barb also loves all the characters and could out-canon the most ardent fan ��
    I've read the prequel A Raising In The Sun a while back and really enjoyed it. I agree, Rahirah's skills are formidable; she writes all characters with great care, detail and fondness.

Never got to Necessary Evils, though. It's on my reading list, although the formula and novel length keeps me procastrating. I think one day I'll get over myself.
    Last edited by Klaus Kartoffel; 29-11-18 at 03:35 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (29-11-18),flow (29-11-18),kamw30 (29-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (01-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamw30 View Post
    Iíve been lurking around this part of the forum for a while now - mainly looking for recs to be honest. Iíve read a lot of fan fiction so Iím up for anything.

Iíve been wondering for a while why I never see Barb Cummings mentioned? She was the first author I ever got hooked on and it was her writing that made me like Buffy - Angearia and Lizarel had me loving her but Barb Ďshowedí her to me. So if I was recommending one only it would be Necessary Evils

Barb also loves all the characters and could out-canon the most ardent fan ��
    Yes!! I haven't had time to reply to this thread yet (or any recent thread really) but my "one fanfic" recommendation would have been the entire Barbverse. Of course it would have been cheating a bit, because it is actually a large set of stories-- but since they all contribute to one big overarching story I would say it still counts.

https://archiveofourown.org/series/514

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

bespangled (29-11-18),DeepBlueJoy (29-11-18),kamw30 (29-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-11-18),Stoney (30-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (01-12-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Hardly There:

I`ve been thinking - because of your post - if it is even possible for a fanfic writer, to write any character "in character". If we assume - I do - that a character cannot be written OOC by the original author, because whatever they write is what they make of the character and therefore is in character?

A fanfic writer on the other hand always has to take characters somewhere new, meaning somewhere, the original author did not take the character. And because they live through new experiences, they act or talk differently than we have seen them act or talk before.

I love Herself. She is one of my favorite fanfic writers. But her fics are dark and the characters wallow on their own misery. This is something, we have seen in the show as well. But Herself focuses on it more than the show did and that makes her characters act and talk differently.

Eurydices stories are well written, with lots of action, plot-twists, original characters, prophecies, demons, battles, spells - you hardly ever get a break. Now, we have seen quite a lot of plot twists, spells and demons in the show. But not as numerous as in Eurydices fics. Therefore her characters are bound to behave differently, than the ones we saw in the show. And they notably wallow less in their own misery than they did in the show. They don`t have time for that because there`s another plot twist waiting for them.

Does shadow refer to shadowlass or to sabershadowkat or to someone else entirely?

I re-read Gwennies A New Day, A New Dawn a short time ago. In her Story, Spike and Buffy have sex at the end of season 5, because of an "Aliens made them do it"- trope. I love this fic. It is so well written and I love her characters. But they are "off", simply because they never experienced the awkwardness of sex for other reasons than wanting to have great sex in the show and therefore we never saw them reacting to this situation and we will never know, how they would talk or act, if they found themselves in such a situation.

flow
    I think I've occasionally managed to do that accomplishment: writing a fanfic character *in character*, but you really do have to have a grasp of the individual fictional character's perspective; accents were lost in that, so it was far from perfect, but the attitudes were accurate.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VampVorchan For This Useful Post:

flow (11-07-19),Priceless (11-07-19)