Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could recommend just one fanfic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 752 Posts

Default If you could recommend just one fanfic

what would it be? Is thre a pairing or is it gen? How long is it? Why do you rec it above all others?

Mostly I am looking for some excellent fanfic - so convince me. Brag about your favorite gems.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (14-11-18),Sosa lola (14-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (17-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,475 Posts

Hah! I bet that at least 50 percent of the people, who answer your question, are going to name more than one fanfic

My answer wonít be helpful, because you probably already know this story. Itís My Life Closed Twice by anaross.

Itís a post NFA Spuffy reunion story and I love it because it combines excellent plot, writing and voicing with poetry.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 14-11-18 at 07:16 AM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),GoSpuffy (15-11-18),Priceless (14-11-18),Sosa lola (14-11-18)

Thanks

Origins!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I got excited for a moment there.

Origins is the series I always recommend to people. I would call it Spuffy, but truthfully it's so much more than that. It's ensemble with respect given to pretty much every character. I love that, after having not had Xander around a while, the story itself admits this and mentions 'hey, this is why Xander had been gone for a while'. The author never forgets anyone, even if it may feel that way for a while.

I also love the look at 'what if Willow went much darker than canon' and the fact that Angelus is the main villain in this S6 story. It's got great relationships (like the Tara/Oz friendship and Dawn/Wesley crush), all that angst that I love so much, and is extremely well written.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),flow (14-11-18),Sosa lola (14-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,119 Posts

For now it's The Giles Thing. I have started it but couldn't find time to read the rest even though I desperately want to. I just love Giles/Xander so much.

My favorite part about the fic is the characterisation. The characters are very well written and true to themselves. I also love the relationship between the characters, especially the Scoobies and Joyce's, in particular, reaction to Xander/Giles (set in S4).

One more thing: this story has the truest depiction of Xander's parents I've ever read in any fic. You actually feel for Xander's father in later chapters, even though his reaction to Xander coming out isn't ideal but it's quite true to parents of the 90s and their mindset. His reaction to Xander dating a man in his 40s simply shows how much he actually cares about his son.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),flow (14-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,692 Posts

My choice would be the same as flows, My Life Closed Twice by anaross

But I would also suggest The Book of William by Lizerrrbeathan, which I really loved. Her style is like no other's I've read and the story is so romantically Spuffy. Lizerrrbeathan does romance better than any other Spuffy writer I've ever read.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (14-11-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

I would go with My Life Closed Twice by anaross as well

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelusblanc For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),flow (14-11-18),Priceless (14-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,825 Times in 5,306 Posts

It depends what mood I'm in whether I want things really close to canon, something epic that jumps off at a later point or something that strays a fair amount going off during the early seasons, of which I've read a lot. Recommendations I've come to realise are way too difficult without any idea of what someone else likes or is looking for or what things they really don't want to read. Some aspects of canon I hate seeing disrupted, but only after certain points and it doesn't always follow that it will spoil a story for me completely if it happens, although it sometimes does. So I'm going to play it safe and rec ones that I think are more canon compatible. I'm going to get away with two because of the comics. If you like canon into the comic seasons I'd recommend reading DactylGirl's Lost Continent series which is about 17k in total, but for those who end their own canon with the tv shows I'd suggest Distress Signals by peaceheather at around 89k (which I have to admit I've only read once but keep meaning to reread). Both are Spuffy and as I say, I've chosen them for their canon compatibility, both starting at later points.
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-11-18 at 02:01 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),flow (15-11-18),GoSpuffy (16-11-18),Priceless (15-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-11-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 737 Posts

Not attempting to hijack the topic, I went back through my old saved fics from when I read fanfic looking for one I'd recommend. I got to reading them and found that they're not nearly as good as I remember. Mostly characterization stuff. I used to consume a ton of it way back when and did not notice it as much. Or maybe I just wanted new stuff and gave it a pass.

Point being, when it comes to reccing fic to a newb, I wonder if there is a fanfic mindset you have to be in. Fanfic is typically a "corrective" measure or a cathartic one, but if someone made their peace with canon would "great" fics still come off as great?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-11-18),bespangled (16-11-18),flow (15-11-18),Priceless (15-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-11-18),Stoney (15-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,825 Times in 5,306 Posts

I devoured fanfic when I first discovered it, lots of early season fics that changed things a lot, but then the more I read the more poor characterisation and cliched fanfic angles bugged me. Plus I like the canon path and don't actually long to see it 'corrected'. I still enjoy fics, but I'm certainly less patient with extreme/significant changes and seem to enjoy stories I reread less than I did when I first read them.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),flow (15-11-18),Klaus Kartoffel (15-11-18),Priceless (15-11-18)

Thanks

Stoney:
    DactylGirl's Lost Continent series which is about 17k in total, but for those who end their own canon with the tv shows I'd suggest Distress Signals by peaceheather at around 89k
    They are both excellent fics, but Dactylgirl holds a special place in my heart.

HardlyThere
    Point being, when it comes to reccing fic to a newb, I wonder if there is a fanfic mindset you have to be in. Fanfic is typically a "corrective" measure or a cathartic one, but if someone made their peace with canon would "great" fics still come off as great?
    Interesting thought. When I first discovered that there are tons of BtVS fanfics, I refused to read a single one of them because I thought, the writing would be just crap. TBH, a lot of them are crap. But I have come across many fics of outstanding quality. Or maybe my level has just dropped really down below -

Anyway, I am quite content with Canon. At the moment I am even in the process of making my peace with the Spuffy break-up in season 12 (yes, I know this will shock my fellow Spuffies...). Still, I really enjoy reading fanfic.

Could you name a few of the fanfics you used to think were great and now found them not to be good at all?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),Priceless (15-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-11-18)

Thanks

I would say there is a lot of rubbish out there in fanfic world, but that's not surprising when you consider the zillions of fics there are. Law of averages, some of them have to be diabolical But there are some really excellent fics, written by superb writers, such as Sigyn, Herself, anaross etc. etc. etc. the list is long, and these are only the Spuffy writers. I don't know the work of many non-Spuffy writers, but I am sure some of them are as talented.

I can read a fic and think 'what drivel' and then the writer will write one sentence or one paragraph that just makes it all worthwhile, one piece of dialogue or one inner thought or piece of reasoning that just blows me away, and then I forgive the fic all its other faults. Or vice versa, I can be happily reading and the writer will include one action, one statement, and I am totally turned off.

flow when can we get a little taster of your fic? Could you share a paragraph or a few lines? Is it set in S12? Will it have a happy ending?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18)

Thanks

Priceless:
    Law of averages, some of them have to be diabolical
    According to Sturgeon not only some of them but 90% of them have to be crap.

and then the writer will write one sentence or one paragraph that just makes it all worthwhile, one piece of dialogue or one inner thought or piece of reasoning that just blows me away,
    Oh yes, that happens to me ever so often. I was just re-reading Gwennies`s A New Dawn, A New Day yesterday and when Spike says to Buffy "I get to be inside of you and you don`t want me there" it just blows me away. (For those, who haven`t read it - it`s not a rape fic or dub con or anything like that. And also the whole fic is fantastic, not just this one line.) If I could write just one line like that...

when can we get a little taster of your fic? Could you share a paragraph or a few lines? Is it set in S12? Will it have a happy ending?
    I made a vow to not publish anything until it is complete. Which will be around May next year probably :-) It`s set in late season 4 and early season 5 and I am not sure about the ending. And it will be crap.

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-11-18),Priceless (15-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (26-11-18)

Thanks

I made a vow to not publish anything until it is complete. Which will be around May next year probably :-) It`s set in late season 4 and early season 5 and I am not sure about the ending. And it will be crap.
    Stop that! It will be excellent, I know it will. You write so well on the forum, and show real insight, so no reason why you can't translate that to fiction. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Does it have a title?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (16-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (26-11-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Stoney:

They are both excellent fics, but Dactylgirl holds a special place in my heart.

HardlyThere

Interesting thought. When I first discovered that there are tons of BtVS fanfics, I refused to read a single one of them because I thought, the writing would be just crap. TBH, a lot of them are crap. But I have come across many fics of outstanding quality. Or maybe my level has just dropped really down below -

Anyway, I am quite content with Canon. At the moment I am even in the process of making my peace with the Spuffy break-up in season 12 (yes, I know this will shock my fellow Spuffies...). Still, I really enjoy reading fanfic.

Could you name a few of the fanfics you used to think were great and now found them not to be good at all?

flow
    Pretty much all of them. Herself, Eury, even Shadow's. Among others. It's not the writing itself--if they were original fiction, I'd probably still like them--but the characters are still off.
    Last edited by HardlyThere; 16-11-18 at 12:46 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

flow (16-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 875 Posts

[QUOTE=flow;737062

[/QUOTE]

Pfft after 20 years S12 still kind of acts as a barrier between me and my continued enjoyment of the fandom. The breakup and the weak storytelling trying to keep "ships" happy rather than moving the plot is the number one thing that will keep me from checking on a new tv show or the boom books.
    ď

I like who I am when Iím with him. I like who we are together.Ē

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (16-11-18),Priceless (16-11-18)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Hard to pick just one. On the other hand there's not necessarily a ton I'd recommend at all. For Buffy I guess I'd go with Racing The Rain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 678 Posts

I second DactylGirl's Lost Continent series. If there was one fanfic writer I'd recommend above all others, it would definitely be DactylGirl.

I also liked Lizzrrbeathen's Adieu, A Dew, I Do, though I'd still place DactylGirl as more of a favourite. Also recommend TreacleA's No Mistakes. And though I only read this erratically (so couldn't join in discussion), I liked the Turn and Face the Strain series by Quinara.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 25-11-18 at 07:31 PM.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

33. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-12-18)

Thanks

Hardly There:
    Pretty much all of them. Herself, Eury, even Shadow's. Among others. It's not the writing itself--if they were original fiction, I'd probably still like them--but the characters are still off.
    I`ve been thinking - because of your post - if it is even possible for a fanfic writer, to write any character "in character". If we assume - I do - that a character cannot be written OOC by the original author, because whatever they write is what they make of the character and therefore is in character?

A fanfic writer on the other hand always has to take characters somewhere new, meaning somewhere, the original author did not take the character. And because they live through new experiences, they act or talk differently than we have seen them act or talk before.

I love Herself. She is one of my favorite fanfic writers. But her fics are dark and the characters wallow on their own misery. This is something, we have seen in the show as well. But Herself focuses on it more than the show did and that makes her characters act and talk differently.

Eurydices stories are well written, with lots of action, plot-twists, original characters, prophecies, demons, battles, spells - you hardly ever get a break. Now, we have seen quite a lot of plot twists, spells and demons in the show. But not as numerous as in Eurydices fics. Therefore her characters are bound to behave differently, than the ones we saw in the show. And they notably wallow less in their own misery than they did in the show. They don`t have time for that because there`s another plot twist waiting for them.

Does shadow refer to shadowlass or to sabershadowkat or to someone else entirely?

I re-read Gwennies A New Day, A New Dawn a short time ago. In her Story, Spike and Buffy have sex at the end of season 5, because of an "Aliens made them do it"- trope. I love this fic. It is so well written and I love her characters. But they are "off", simply because they never experienced the awkwardness of sex for other reasons than wanting to have great sex in the show and therefore we never saw them reacting to this situation and we will never know, how they would talk or act, if they found themselves in such a situation.

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Rebcake (26-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (25-11-18)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Dunno, but I've read some fanfics where the writer pretty much got the characters (er some of the characters) right or kinda right. To be fair most don't, or rarely or only sometimes get them right.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (26-11-18)

Thanks

I’ve been lurking around this part of the forum for a while now - mainly looking for recs to be honest. I’ve read a lot of fan fiction so I’m up for anything.

I’ve been wondering for a while why I never see Barb Cummings mentioned? She was the first author I ever got hooked on and it was her writing that made me like Buffy - Angearia and Lizarel had me loving her but Barb ‘showed’ her to me. So if I was recommending one only it would be Necessary Evils

Barb also loves all the characters and could out-canon the most ardent fan ��

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kamw30 For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (29-11-18),flow (29-11-18),Klaus Kartoffel (29-11-18),Priceless (01-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (01-12-18)