Thread: Home Is Where They Have To Take You In by slaymesoftly starting on 9th November 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,982 Times in 1,660 Posts

Default Home Is Where They Have To Take You In by slaymesoftly starting on 9th November 2018

We will be discussing a fic by slaymesoftly next Friday. After many varying opinions on which of her fics we should pick, my husband has finally put down his foot and decided we should read and discuss:

Home Is Where They Have To Take You In

It is a post-series story with an intriguing summary:

It's several years after NFA and Buffy has found a nice house in London. Bit of a fixer-upper, but it has some things to recommend it. Spike and Angel lost their battle with the Senior Partners and have been gone long enough for Buffy to have moved on with her life. Then she finds something living in her garden shed... and demons come to town... and it's a whole 'take care of the creature in the shed and fight big scary demons from another dimension' thing. And then it gets complicated....

The word count is 58,914 words.

You can find it here:

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

or here:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/19...hapters/290017

and also on bloodshedverse, ff.net and seasonal spuffy.

Have fun!

Dear slaymesoftly, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 5,674 Posts

Sad to miss this one as I really am wanting to go back and reread the vast number of slayme fics I've read but I'm still reading the read that opened last week and I've got other things coming up next week. I'll come back to the thread and read what others thought and post when/if I get to this fic again in the future. So many stories and not enough time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,190 Posts

I've just finished it.

Thanks

When did you start it? Before I opened this thread? Or after?

flow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    When did you start it? Before I opened this thread? Or after?

flow
    After. Sigh...I logged on to check the weather for tomorrow - spotted your post and read it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,730 Times in 4,197 Posts

I'm sure I've read this one before. Not that I mind reading it again as I think I enjoyed it. We'll see . . .

Thanks

TriBel:
    After. Sigh...I logged on to check the weather for tomorrow - spotted your post and read it.
    So it took you about one and a half hour to read a 50 k words story? You don`t get cookies for that!

Have you read Life Harsh/Life Hard yet? It could be a ways of passing two or three hours, whenever youve got nothing else to do....

flow

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (03-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    TriBel:

So it took you about one and a half hour to read a 50 k words story? You don`t get cookies for that!

Have you read Life Harsh/Life Hard yet? It could be a ways of passing two or three hours, whenever youve got nothing else to do....

flow
    TBH, I don't deserve cookies. Sigh...I'm odd. I don't read for story - which is why I don't mind spoilers (if I could google what happens I would do). I'm more interested in how something's told rather than what's being told so I read very, very quickly to get story out of the way and then read again for poetics, structure...blah, blah, blah. Absolutely no disrespect to the author but this is mostly story (very nice story) but (for me) no light bulb moments as there were with Rebcake's. It kinda goes in a straight line and I (seriously) have a form of synesthesia that translates ideas into shapes and, ideally, need fiction that lends itself to the creation of "strange loops" to make me "see"*. LOL! I'm loopy and this wasn't quite loopy enough! Perhaps I'll find them if I read it again.

ETA

*That's unfair. It has loops but as part of the story. Without my loops I write dead boring critique. With my loops I write dead boring critique that's self-indulgent and no-one but me understands. I'm a narcissist - do I get a cookie for my insight?

ETA

Damn...I'm a narcissist with shocking grammar and sentence structure.
    Last edited by TriBel; 03-11-18 at 06:10 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (04-11-18),DeepBlueJoy (09-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (03-11-18)

Thanks

TriBel:
    I (seriously) have a form of synesthesia that translates ideas into shapes and, ideally, need fiction that lends itself to the creation of "strange loops" to make me "see"*

It has loops but as part of the story
    I am too dumb, to understand that. Could you give an example, please?

There might be cookies, ...

flow

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (09-11-18)

Thanks

Ill be busy all day tomorrow, thus I am opening the discussion early. I also have to confess, that I haven`t managed to finish slaymesoftly`s fic yet. I plead my kids seventh birthday as an excuse. When I was a child, we celebrated our birthday once. Nowadays it is one celebration at school, the next a day care the next with the family and the next with twelve kids on a sugar high. I`ve already dealt with three out of four, but the last one is coming up on Saturday. If I don`t come back here on Sunday, tell the search party to look for me beneath the huge pile of used gift wrapping paper.

flow

14. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (09-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,730 Times in 4,197 Posts

I have read this fic, and I enjoyed it. I liked the set up, that Buffy deliberately set out to buy Williams old house, I though that was a nice place to start. I also liked that Buffy was mature enough to want to settle down and buy a house. I also really enjoyed her relationship with Dawn, which felt mature and adult.

Spike been drawn back to his old house was believable, as was the loss of him memory. I loved how hurt and unrecognisable he was and how Buffy instinctively wanted to take care of him, that's very much up my Spuffy street

I thought the story and the writing were really good, and the only thing I thought was a little unbelievable was that Buffy didn't realise who this sick vampire was. I know he didn't look like Spike, but he speaks exactly like him, and I would have thought Buffy's 'tinglies' would have helped her realise who this was.

Overall I would recommend this fic, it's a fun easy read with a lot going on.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (10-11-18)

Thanks

I did not do this Story the justice it deserved, because my week was so stressful that I could only read a few lines each night before I dropped dead on my sofa.

Right through the very first chapter I was thinking "Yes, Pricey will love this, it`s her favorite trope". Buffy has to care for Spike. I didn`t mind that it was obvious from the start that the scarred, burnt, disfigured, bald, amnesiac and hoarse vampire was Spike.

After all this is a Spuffy story and I didn`t expect a second vampire to pop up in Buffy`s shed in the middle of this fic. But it was hard to believe that Buffy did not recognize him because I could hear Spike speak from the very first minute. The writer was just too good at writing Spike-speak to deliver an unrecognizable Spike. I also felt a bit sorry for all the pain Spike had to endure to look so scarred, burnt and starved that Buffy would not recognize him right away, when she first looked at him.

I liked Xander, although he only made a minor appearance. I also liked how long it took for Giles and Buffy to reconcile. That was very believeable considering the hurt Buffy felt, when she learnt that Giles had known since the Dana rescue mission that Spike was back.

Why did the demons from the hell dimension come to look for Spike? Was there an explanation, I missed, due to the lack of my sleep?

What really made me smile, was the fact that the fight against the demons ended exactly the same way season 12 issue 4 ended - with Illyria taking all the demons with her to a hell dimension. I might add, that his story was written years before season 12.

I have read slamesoftly fics before - altough not that many considering how many she has written - and she has a style of writing that makes the reading very easy and enjoyable.

Oh and I survived the birthday celebrations. Barely.

flow

18. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,001 Posts

I'm about halfway through. I agree with Priceless (as usual). I'm enjoying the story and I can see the voice being unrecognizable but it's hard to believe he could be that scarred up that she can't see any of Spike in Bob, especially after a couple of days of healing. I'm hoping there is something coming in the big reveal that makes sense. Pricey might like stories where Buffy nurses Spike but I do enjoy a story where Buffy can't move on after Spike is gone so it looks like we are both in our wheelhouse.

- - - Updated - - -

I've finished the story. I do feel better now about accepting why Buffy wouldn't recognize Spike. I like how the reveal happened with dawn figuring it out first. As mentioned by Flow This story was written in 2016 or Earlier so it was it was interesting how Illyria kind of had a S12 ending and how dawn and Xander ended up together, gave it a nice vibe. And I agree with Flow that the writing is good and very enjoyable. I don't remember an explanation on why the demons were looking for Spike other than he escaped and they wanted him back to continue torturing him.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-11-18)