Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life Harsh and Life Hard by Soulburnt starting now - or whenever you are ready!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 578 Posts

I've read Life Harsh. I enjoyed it a lot, because I really liked Sally and I enjoyed the relationship between Spike and Angel.

I'm still busy reading Life Hard (currently at Ch.22 on FF.net). Longer than War and Peace indeed! But I think it's worth the time investment. It's very well-written, has really good OCs, no character bashing, and wonderful Dawn/Spike friendship. I agree with GoSpuffy that the author seems to like all the characters, and that makes me happy. Especially the (almost) lack of Angel bashing, which is sadly all too common in Spuffy fic. (I mean the bashing, not the lack of it.) That said, I came close to giving up on Life Hard because of the reasons Priceless mentioned, in particular the way Buffy was portrayed. I know she was supposed to be suffering from depression again (or still?) but I was getting so incredibly annoyed and frustrated by her behaviour that I was slowly starting to dislike her. Not my Buffy! Fortunately, things turned around before I gave up and they are much better now.

I also agree with GoSpuffy and Priceless that Spike is too perfect/whitewashed in this story, but that's easier to stomach than Buffy getting the opposite treatment. Overall, the good things in this fic still make it worth it to me.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

flow (09-03-19),GoSpuffy (09-03-19),Priceless (09-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (18-03-19),Stoney (09-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

I loved Life Harsh but I haven`t yet found the time to start Life Hard, which is a shame, because I really want to read it. I am glad you like it and kept us updated. I`d love to hear more as you read on!

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (18-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 578 Posts

Latest update: I'm back to almost giving up on the story. Spike was too perfect from the start, but still at a (for me) manageable level. But in the space of the chapters I've read since my previous post, it has really gotten too much for me. He has practically achieved sainthood now. More details under spoilers.

Spoiler:
    First off, a big warning for flow. One of the factors contributing to Spike now being THE PERFECT MAN involves a certain huge fanfic allergy of yours, flow. Yes: besides being handsome, rich, inhumanly virile, noble, exceedingly well-behaved, and best friend to all the Scoobies, Spike is now also invulnerable thanks to the Gem of Amara. (The rest of the treasure has left him conveniently rich, and he has shared his riches with all the Scoobies...) Oh yeah, and he has his soul again.

This time around (we're in a new alternate reality) Spike decided for himself to get his soul back, without angelic intervention. TBH I didn't find the reason why he chose to get his soul very convincing. The transgression he committed didn't seem in character for Spike as he had been portrayed in the story so far, so to me it came across as contrived. For soulless Spike as we know him from the TV show, I guess it might have been believable, in certain circumstances. But then I'm not so sure it was bad enough to have made him think he needed a soul.

Anyway, he has his soul now and that's well and good. But I wish that would have been all. He doesn't have to be all the things I mentioned above, and able to do blind typing too.

I really hope that something will go awfully wrong soon, just preferably not because of Buffy being unreasonable (like before). Everything is so incredibly perfect right now, thanks to Spike being super-awesome, that it is really exceeding the limit of what I can handle.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (18-03-19),Stoney (18-03-19)