Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life Harsh and Life Hard by Soulburnt starting now - or whenever you are ready!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,638 Posts

Default Life Harsh and Life Hard by Soulburnt starting now - or whenever you are ready!

Hey y`all,

this discussion is going to be a little bit different from our usual discussions. We want to read two stories that are prequel and sequel, yet can also both stand alone. If you want to read only one or the other, they will still totally make sense.

These two stories will be the longest story/stories we have ever read together in our discussion group.

Life Harsh - the prequel - has a word count of almost 128k words. Life Hard has about 1.4 million words.

The amazing length of this Story is the reason, why I decided to not set a fixed date for reading or discussing it.

I for myself will probably need months to finish those stories. Therefore I think it is better, if everybody just reads at their own pace and post their thoughts as they go along. Because of the length of the stories it probably makes sense to post our thoughts as we go along.

I want to set one new rule for this discussion. As we will not reach the same part of the story at the same time, I`d like to ask you to give the story title (Life Harsh or Life Hard) and the chapter or chapters in bold letters before your comment in every post on this thread. That way everyone else can se, where you are and decide to come back later if they haven`t reached the same part yet. There is no need to put your comments into Spoiler brackets. Everyone participating in this thread should be aware that there will be spoilers.

Life Harsh is only available on fanfiction.net. This is the link:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13062295/1/Life-Harsh

Life Hard is available on fanfiction.net and on Elysian Fields. It is not yet complete on Elysian Fields but it will be within the next weeks. Here are the links:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12670728/1/Life-Hard

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

Unfortunately the chapter titles are not identical on ff.net and EF. In order to follow our above mentioned rule I`d ask you to go with the chapters as they are numbered and titled on EF.

I`d like to issue some fair warnings. Life Harsh isn`t a Spuffy story. There will be no happy Spuffy ending. In fact there will be no Spuffy at all (but Spike and Buffy are both in it). There will be Buffy/other and Spike/other. There will also be major character deaths.
    Life Hard is a Spuffy story but it`ll be a long way to go. There will be Buffy/other and Spike/other and there will be major character deaths.

I have had the opportunity to talk to Soulburnt on EF. She is very kind and generous. She knows that we will be discussing her fic here and is fine with it. Everyone here should feel free to speak their mind openly but I want to ask you to keep the tone always respectful and friendly. If you like the story, I would also ask you to leave a like or maybe even a comment on EF. Soulburnt does not only read but also responds to every single comment on EF!

I am looking forward to this! I have already finished Life Harsh and will post my comments soon.

ETA:

Dear Soulburnt, I have recently added a thread with a few words to the writers of the fics that we are discussing. If you are interested in reading it, you can find it here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!

flow
    Last edited by flow; 29-10-18 at 11:00 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (29-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,641 Times in 4,160 Posts

Is Life Harsh a Spangel fic?

Thanks

There is no Spangel sex, kisses, romance or whatever. It‘s just a lot of Spike and Angel, but they are comrades, family, rivals- just like in the show.

flow

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (30-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    There is no Spangel sex, kisses, romance or whatever. It‘s just a lot of Spike and Angel, but they are comrades, family, rivals- just like in the show.

flow
    Thanks. I don't mind Spangel, but right now I'm in the middle of an Angel Season 4 re-watch and my feelings about Angel are mixed, and I'm not in the right place to want him and Spike together right now I need to be in the mood for Spangel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (30-10-18)

Thanks

I have read up to Chapter 3 of Life Harsh, and it is incredibly well written and very much a page turner. Unfortunately some of the content is simply not my thing, so I cannot continue reading, but I would recommend this to everyone simply because Soulburnt can really write.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (03-11-18)

Thanks

Just out of curiosity - was it Xander?

If you like Soulburnt`s writing, you should skip the rest of Life Harsh and go on with Life Hard. It is a Spuffy story. It starts during the summer after The Gift, so its a very different timeline. I don`t even know, if it is the same Dimension (I`ve only read the first chapter so far). Sally will have a cameo appearance in the very first chapter, but that`s it. You don`t need to read Life Harsh to understand Life Hard.

flow

Thanks

Just out of curiosity - was it Xander?

If you like Soulburnt`s writing, you should skip the rest of Life Harsh and go on with Life Hard. It is a Spuffy story. It starts during the summer after The Gift, so its a very different timeline. I don`t even know, if it is the same Dimension (I`ve only read the first chapter so far). Sally will have a cameo appearance in the very first chapter, but that`s it. You don`t need to read Life Harsh to understand Life Hard.

flow
    No it wasn't Xander. I just felt that the character/behaviour of Buffy was not written in a way I could happily read. That's what makes me think I probably wouldn't enjoy Life Hard. But as I say, Soulburnt is a terrific writer, and I am sure people will love her writing

Thanks

It is a very General Buffy version of Buffy in Life Harsh. But I am not sure, if it will be the same in Life Hard. I haven`t gotten that far in Life Hard yet. Would you be willing o give it a try, if I can assure you, she isn`t as General Buffy as in Life Harsh?

There is a scene later on in Life Harsh, where Spike realizes, Buffy had had made a decision and had picked him - and not Angel - and that he blew it by running away from her. It`s a very sad moment, because by then it is too late to go back. There are more sad moments, by the way. It isn`t a happy fic. I`ll get back to this thread (hopefuully) in the next days and will leave a review for the whole story.

flow

Thanks

It is a very General Buffy version of Buffy in Life Harsh. But I am not sure, if it will be the same in Life Hard. I haven`t gotten that far in Life Hard yet. Would you be willing o give it a try, if I can assure you, she isn`t as General Buffy as in Life Harsh?

There is a scene later on in Life Harsh, where Spike realizes, Buffy had had made a decision and had picked him - and not Angel - and that he blew it by running away from her. It`s a very sad moment, because by then it is too late to go back. There are more sad moments, by the way. It isn`t a happy fic. I`ll get back to this thread (hopefuully) in the next days and will leave a review for the whole story.

flow
    Now I'm confused about whats Life Hard and Life Harsh I admire General Buffy, and have no problem with that part of her character. There were other things that I didn't like and they felt a bit bashy to me. I can't read Buffy-bashing

Thanks

Okay, which one did you read?

flow

Thanks

Life Harsh I think The one with the angel who tells Buffy she's a terrible person

Thanks

The one with Sally who takes Gunn to a demon doctor after NFA and then travels to Cleveland with Angel and Spike to meet Giles, Xander, Dawn and the Slayers?

flow

Thanks

The one with Sally who takes Gunn to a demon doctor after NFA and then travels to Cleveland with Angel and Spike to meet Giles, Xander, Dawn and the Slayers?

flow
    Yes. I didn't get to the announcement, but I guess Sally was Sarah the angel who knew William as a man?

Thanks

Yep. That`s it.

flow

Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 995 Posts

I read life harsh. Yes the writing is good but it isn't the story I like. However I wanted to be open to viewing a bangel story and not just turning my back on it. Too much of the story doesn't fit how I see Buffy, Buffy/spike and spike/Angel. I like Sally. I like a lot of the originality in the set up. I could live with Spike/Angel relationship but my Buffy is a very different Buffy. I'm going to continue on with life hard and hope the fact that it is more spuffy friendly will help me enjoy the good writing more.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (04-11-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Life Hard is an emotional rollercoster for me. I have read first 15 (till the big turn) a long time ago but stopped there cause I couldn't find the time. Now I skim rad some in EF, I know what's going on in general. One day I will sit and do a whole big read from the start. Soulburnt is an amazing writer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 803 Posts

I am really enjoying Life Harsh. I'm up to the last chapter, and looking forward to the sequel. It's an interesting universe, and I like the fact that Sally is a fully developed character. My views of acceptable character portrayal are fairly loose. They have to be because there are very few stories that really it the sweet spot for me. Good writing and an interesting set up are usually enough to get me involved.

My life has been...interesting lately. I have buried myself in Bverse fanfic and this story is a welcome distraction.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (04-11-18),Priceless (04-11-18)

Thanks

I've read the first 3 chapters and I'm liking life hard a lot more than life harsh. Soulburnt is a great writer and now that she's/he's writing a spuffy story I can revel in the storytelling. I've really grown to love Dawn post S7. I blame Priceless for this.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I read life harsh. Yes the writing is good but it isn't the story I like. However I wanted to be open to viewing a bangel story and not just turning my back on it. Too much of the story doesn't fit how I see Buffy, Buffy/spike and spike/Angel. I like Sally. I like a lot of the originality in the set up. I could live with Spike/Angel relationship but my Buffy is a very different Buffy. I'm going to continue on with life hard and hope the fact that it is more spuffy friendly will help me enjoy the good writing more.
    It was a Bangel story? I didn't pick that up from what I read, but I'm glad I didn't read any further. But I agree, the writing was very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I've read the first 3 chapters and I'm liking life hard a lot more than life harsh. Soulburnt is a great writer and now that she's/he's writing a spuffy story I can revel in the storytelling. I've really grown to love Dawn post S7. I blame Priceless for this.
    Dawn is amazing, so I'm just happy you finally seen it I don't know whether to read Life Hard, I'm worried it will take a turn and I won't be happy

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (04-11-18),GoSpuffy (04-11-18)

Thanks

So far so spuffy with life hard. I think you'll like it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (04-11-18)