Thread: Christmas Rage by The Enemy Of Reality starting 7th of December 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,655 Posts

Default Christmas Rage by The Enemy Of Reality starting 7th of December 2018

Christmas season is near and the discussion for the first of our two Christmas Spuffy fics starts next Friday.

It is Christmas Rage by The Enemy Of Reality.
    The story is set in season 4 with 68k words and you can find it on Elysian Fields. I am on my mobile and can’t link it. Would somebody else be so kind, to provide the link?

Dear TheEnemyOfReality, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 07-12-18 at 08:23 AM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (30-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,672 Posts

Sure... Christmas Rage at Elysian Fields.

This is likely to be the most I'll be able to get involved on this one as I'm still to finish Turn and Face the Strain and catch up on so many other things, the rewatch, fanart as well as many family/home projects pressing in. Sadly, I've missed reading several now that I really do want to read. I'll definitely try to get to this one at some point over the christmas period. When you do some more short fics I'll find it easier to force them in around whatever else I'm juggling. I'll just post on these longer stories as/when I get around to them, even if it is months after.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (30-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (30-11-18),TriBel (30-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,190 Posts

I was juggling but decided...sod it! and dropped everything. I've read the first chapter.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...3553&chapter=1

LOL! It's like Christmas has come early. It's got more sexual innuendos than the Morecambe & Wise Show! Sorry flow...that remark was for middle-aged English people only.

Last edited by TriBel; 30-11-18 at 03:25 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (30-11-18),GoSpuffy (01-12-18),Priceless (30-11-18),Stoney (30-11-18)

Thanks

For some reason I wasn`t looking forward to reading this fic much. Maybe its because Running From The Inevitble by the same writer is one of my all time favorites and I was scared this story might disappoint me. Also the summary was really misleading. Joyce invites Spike to spend Christmas with her and Buffy at Revello Drive. Well. Not a lot that could have happened there. But it turns out, there is a plot twist now I am laughing out loud again and again.

flow

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear. Someone just pressed their fingers against someone elses lips. I guess that means, that Priceless is out of this

flow

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (03-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (03-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 4,188 Posts

Oh dear. Someone just pressed their fingers against someone elses lips. I guess that means, that Priceless is out of this
    Well that's ruined it for me already . . .

All fanfic writers out there, why do you do this? Have you ever done this in real life? Am I the only person in the world who has never stopped another person from speaking by putting my fingers to their lips? I have grabbed people and tried to put my hand over their mouth (in a loving and safe way of course) but never in this romantic way that it's written in fanfics. I'm going to start a poll!!

Thanks

Buffy does do it to Angel though in the early seasons, she has past form on it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (07-12-18),Priceless (03-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Buffy does do it to Angel though in the early seasons, she has past form on it.
    Doesn't she do it to Spike at one point too? I've tried to block it out, it was so upsetting

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (07-12-18)

Thanks

I think it was The First Evil. I am not sure though.

flow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Doesn't she do it to Spike at one point too? I've tried to block it out, it was so upsetting
    Ha, I don't remember her doing it to Spike but if it was in S7 I haven't watched that recently enough, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Every time I see it in TV shows or read it now, it always makes me think of you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-12-18)

Thanks

Let`s get started!

flow

Thanks

I am in the middle of Chapter 4. I've really enjoyed this story so far, although it's such a tease. I keep thinking they're going to get romantic and they don't, The Enemy of Reality really knows how to keep you on the brink

The Spike/Joyce scenes are great and I do think Joyce would be happy to invite Spike for Christmas. It's realistic that both Spike and Buffy would still be hung up on their exes and working through their feelings. I have to admit I am missing Dawn and think she'd have added another dimension to the 'family' feel of the story.

I'm just reading chapter 4 now and I think they've either time travelled or gone to another dimension so am eager to read on.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (07-12-18)

Thanks

This is what I wrote on Saturday shortly after I started it.

Okay - I'm on chapter 4 and because my thoughts only stay with me for a few minutes I'm gonna have to write them down.

I like it: the voices are right. It's funny but the tension (sexual and otherwise) is visceral: palpable. But not just sexual - it really is blurring the boundaries between sex and death....

I was really enthusiastic about it but, IDK, something happened part way through and it started to feel a bit cliched. I don't know what it was...LOL! maybe the finger to lips...but I felt it ran out of steam.

I've forgotten it now...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (07-12-18)

Thanks

I am going to make a bold guess, TriBel. What happened to you part way through, was meeting the other Buffy and the other Spike in Buffy`s dreams as well as in William Pratt`s journal or novel or whatever it was. They were so... Not-Spuffy. Boring. A cliche.

Apart from them I really loved this story. The Enemy Of Reality gets the voices right and she does something that is rare and probably really really difficult. She makes you laugh. I loved the Little one although kids tend to be a drag for a story. The Enemy Of Reality avoids that but to achieve it, she has to throw in a lot of telly-watching. The amount of time this four year old spent in front of the telly was astounding.

There was one thing different from the usual Spuffy story. Usually it is Spike, who falls in love with Buffy first and fights for her love, whereas Buffy follows reluctantly and often denies his feelings or her own or both. In this story they fell for each other at the same time and realized it at the same pace. That was nice to read for a change.

As I said before, I was half dreading to read this story, because often a writer writes something really outstanding and then something else that is just mediocre. I was convinced, that The Enemy Of Reality could not come up with another work like Running From The Inevitable. I am glad to admit, that I was wrong. I still prefer Running From The Inevitable but Christmas Rage is easily a 7/10 in my book. Maybe even a 8/10. After all, it`s Christmas time.

flow

23. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (07-12-18)

Thanks

Oh I really wanted to enjoy it to the end. The first part was stunning - I actually read the words (as opposed to scanning sentences which is how I usually read). In fact, it was so tense I wanted to google the end (which is something else I do) then...fizzle out. It's not that it was bad - it just didn't live up to its early promise. I'll give Running From The Inevitable a try though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,000 Posts

I really enjoyed this story. It's a nice light hearted romp. Nothing serious or life changing but the author really connects with the humour that under lies the seriousness of a good Buffy story. Reading it reminds me what I like so much about this pairing. Other that shall remain nameless Buffy ships are just so ordinary and could play out between any two characters in the world . The enemy of reality finds that elusive thread of two individuals that are great alone but even better together and pulls it very well. It's crazy that Spike and Buffy came to be yet it feels so right. Spuffy came about over a long period of time because of the waves of nuiance and chemistry that built up between the actors and scripts. This was fun to read.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (08-12-18),Priceless (08-12-18),TriBel (08-12-18)

Thanks

This was a fun read. I enjoy fics where Buffy and Spike are alone, without the scoobies as a distraction, having to rely on each other and so they grow closer over time. The voices were very good and I liked the banter. I've read quite a few fics with the two of them trapped in a wintery cabin with a child, and this was neither the best or the worst of that genre. I thought Emma was well written, and added a sweetness to the story.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18),GoSpuffy (10-12-18),TriBel (10-12-18)