Thread: Turn and Face the Strain by Quinara starting 26th October 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,589 Posts

Default Turn and Face the Strain by Quinara starting 26th October 2018

Hey all,

Turn and Face the Strain is the third and final part of the series with the same name by Quinara. The third part is with 81k words significantly longer than part one and part two, therefore I am announcing the discussion two weeks early. The discussion will start on Friday 26th of October. You can finde the fic on AO3:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/40...hapters/676943

You can find the discussion for part one here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...h-October-2018

and for part two here:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...h-October-2018

Enjoy!

flow

ETA: If you are Quinara or a writer of fanfiction and you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. thank you for your consideration.
    Last edited by flow; 26-10-18 at 12:13 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,026 Times in 949 Posts

I'm posting early so don't read until October 26. Of the three stories this was my favorite. Mostly because it was longer and had more substance. All 3 stories were heavy on the Buffy "thinking" mind frame which was valid and interesting. Story 3 had more plot and action that made it more Interesting to read. The author did a good job of blending AtS with BtVS but since I'm not an AtS fan I was left floundering at times. I like spike's journey to need a soul to be worthy of Buffy so I'm always wary of soulless spike winning Buffy's heart but hey, it's spuffy so you know I can cut it some slack. I dont know Kate Character well enough to comment but I did like the Spike / dawn bonding after shop lifting. Over all I enjoyed the series and the authors point of view although it did not mesh 100% with my own mind Space

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Discussion is officially opened!

flow

Thanks
    Thanked 8,226 Times in 3,962 Posts

I've been so busy I haven't managed to read this fic. I will read it and try to post as I go along

Thanks

Here are my two cents on the third and final part of Quinara`s Turn and Face the Strain series:

I have liked the first two parts and the third part managed to meet the expectations that had been set high because of the quality of the prequels.

This is a story about Buffy being depressed and struggeling with her depression and Spike being soulless and chipped and struggeling with his limitations and restrictions.
    The main point that where this story differs from canon, is, that both Buffy and Spike are trying and they are trying hard to make it work. It does not come easy to them. This is not a Mary Sue fic or a fix it fic. On the contrary. It is far from that. It is realistic. Almost as depressing as season 6 was. But with a tiny little light of hope at the end of the tunnel.

I am not very familiar with AtS and not at all familiar with Kate Lockley. But I liked her character and her being part of the story made so much sense - except for one tiny detail, I`ll be coming back to later.

I loved Kate`s job offer, especially in the light of season 12. Buffy as a police officer made so much more sense in this story than it actually did in season 12.

But I also loved how long it took Buffy to take up the job offer and that she held on to the dreadful DMP job as long as she could. It totally made sense to me, because Buffy was still depressed and a epression takes away the last bit of energy that would allow you to make changes and try different things. Buffy clings to working at DMP desperately, because she is afraid of losing the last bit of (financial) security that her job offers and is afraid that she will not be up for the challenge of a new and maybe more demanding position.

I like how Spike supports the idea of the police job without pushing her. Finally Buffy gets fired by DMP.

Although this is a relief and a progress, I have to admit that it is hard for me to understand the concept of being "eligible" for sick leave. I have heard of this but I just find it hard to believe, that in a country that is one of the world leading powers and one of the world leading economies, a country that has shown the world how the idea of democracy and human rights can actually work, an employee cannot go on (paid) sick-leave, when they are sick but only when they are eligible to sick-leave.

Spike gets himself a job of his own. Yay him

This is another proof of how the fic does not "fix" canon and does not brush over Spike being soulless but still gives us a slightly different perspective. I loved, that it was actually Buffy, who caught Spike with the smoking gun in his hands. To both of them that was humiliating enough and there was no reason, to add to that humiliation by having Riley grenade his crypt. I was very satisfied with how Kate solved the issue and made it clear that Spike was not the doctor and with the trust Buffy put into Spike, when she put the grenade into his hands.

Another very good example for the fic taking Spike`s soullessness into consideration is the conversation between him and Dawn ("the less moral Miss Summers" - lol) after the shop lifting incident. He does not preach about moral standards he doesn`t have.

Instead this: "One of the marvels of lacking a soul was that Spike didn’t really care. In the end, if things got too difficult or too complicated, he didn’t have to bother and it would wash over him, forgotten."

Next thing after this is Buffy and Spike going back to L.A.. I didn`t much care for Brian and the gallery deal. That wasn`t plausible enough for me. Did Joyce own a part of it now or not? If she did, where did the money go after her death? Did that guy want to buy her share or not? If he did, why was the deal never completed after her death? It would have been easy to contact Buffy and Dawn as Joyces heirs. I also didn`t care about Kate, Riley and Sam going with Buffy to L.A. Riley`s and Sam`s presence felt outright wrong and Kate wasn`t needed and her encounter with the L.A. gang seemed a bit forced and awkward, probably because of the events in AtS, I am not familiar with.

But the Holtz incident was perfect, imho. Suddenly everything comes together and we reach to a conclusion that feels earned and well deserved:

"Her eyes shot straight to Spike’s where he was staring at her, looking like someone had told him a joke he didn’t understand. Christ, I’m gonna die, was written all over his face. I’m gonna die for saving this bastard. The worst part was that she had no way of telling him what that meant to her, how much she loved him, how she had enough pride in him to make her sick. How did he know what she was thinking, what she wanted? Because this was it, wasn’t it, protecting Holtz? In the end it always would be – and Spike, he knew that."

And Buffy finally understands the way Spike loves her and she is ready to trust his love even if he is still without a soul:

"That’s the thing about Angel, with me as well, what makes us alike.” They’d never be able to rely on love to make them do good. “Love doesn’t make us different; it doesn’t change who we are.”

But Spike is different:

“I suppose you claim to love this vampire, then,” Holtz remarked ...“And think your integrity remains intact.”
    “Yes,” she said, feeling quite snippy about having to let everyone know about it, under this sort of duress. She could feel their eyes on her. “Even.”

This is the first time I have read a Spuffy fanfic, where Spike remains soulless and has a relationship with Buffy and I am going "Yes! Yes, I am on board with that. Wholeheartedly. Completely." Great Job! I did not think this would be possible.

I am really grateful to whoever recommended this story. It is such an outstanding Spuffy fanfic and will be on my favorite stories list from now on. The first two parts are each a 10/10 for me. The third part gets one point removed for bringing Kate, Sam and Riley to L.A. and for the Brian/gallery stuff but is still a solid 9/10. Overall the whole series scores 10/10.

flow

7. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (26-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,223 Times in 5,500 Posts

As I expected I haven't finished, I'm only about half way through. I'll come back when I do though and read what others thought and post myself.