Thread: Wynonna Earp

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wynonna Earp

Kinda guilty pleasure show, but has one of the cutest couples on TV: WayHaught. IMO one of the better (& apt) ship names.
    Anyone else watching?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,040 Posts

Haven't seen it, but.what does a "guilty pleasure" show mean? It's not good?
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 2,792 Posts

Not seen it, but heard lots of people say that if you enjoyed Buffy, you'd like this show. It doesn't actually look great to me, but I might watch a few reaction vids, to see if I'd like it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 499 Posts

I've tried it. I even made it through most of season one. I just really dislike one of the characters so I finally gave up. I read tat he died recently so I may give it another try. The showrunner is a huge Buffy fan, and is trying to recreate some of the best features of Buffy, and I like what she is doing overall.

How Syfy's 'Wynonna Earp' Is Paying Homage to 'Buffy'

Wynonna Earp: The Best Buffy Since Buffy?

Buffy Earpers Project
    - There's even a podcast and Buffy watch through for Wynona fans.
    Last edited by bespangled; 12-10-18 at 01:51 AM.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

It certainly had its inspiration in Buffy, but as for quality of writing or acting it's not even close. At all. Show was definitely made for women as target audience, even much more than Buffy was, so I can't really judge it properly though. I kind of enjoyed it through first season (and yes guilty pleasure is adequate term for that), but somewhere in the second season it became too much for me. Either too much cheesiness or too much estrogen, I don't know. But again since this show was made for women audience, my opinion probably isn't very relevant though.
    Last edited by Alce; 12-10-18 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 647 Posts

I liked S1 but S2 was so-so. It was one if those shows that had a good premise but didn't know where to go. I'll give S3 a try but I don't have high expectations . Kind of like true blood, started off interesting But couldn't really sell the later seasons. Citizen z is better for female badassery (col warren) and into the bad lands is better for fantasy storytelling.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 2,792 Posts

Buffy Earpers Project - There's even a podcast and Buffy watch through for Wynona fans.
    I actually listen to this podcast They just talk Buffy, not Wynona Earp

- - - Updated - - -

Citizen z is better for female badassery (col warren) and into the bad lands is better for fantasy storytelling.
    I've enjoyed every season on Citizen Z. It's not a great show, but it's just odd enough to keep being interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen an article recently, with the title Can Sabrina Spellman be the Buffy Summers for a New Generation?. It seems every new show is compared to Buffy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 499 Posts

Yeah - I went through this as a Star Trek - TOS fan. I was pretty young when it first came out and I got into fandom in college. At that time we were called trekkies and considered to be immature, pathetic, cultist losers. Bill Shatner even did a comedy sketch yelling at the fans "Get a life." while everyone applauded. What made the jeering worse was that we wrote stories (which I read), fanzines devoted to just talking about the show (Interstat) and had bizarre conventions where people dressed up in costumes. We were a natural target - a national laughingstock.

Then the 1st movie came along - 10 years later. A few more movies. TNG and Comicon - the entire cosplay, conventions circuit - and now Trekkies are simply called nerds and the whole fandom thing has become pop culture.

So - first the comics. Then each show with a strong heroine is compared to Buffy, and found to be failing. Buffy - TNG (oops - reboot) will be loved by many and hated by purists. Pop culture will feed off the feedback. Should be interesting.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-10-18)

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

May have to check that out. Thanks for link Priceless.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-10-18)