Thread: Wynonna Earp

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wynonna Earp

Kinda guilty pleasure show, but has one of the cutest couples on TV: WayHaught. IMO one of the better (& apt) ship names.
    Anyone else watching?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (29-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,571 Times in 2,139 Posts

Haven't seen it, but.what does a "guilty pleasure" show mean? It's not good?
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,612 Times in 3,130 Posts

Not seen it, but heard lots of people say that if you enjoyed Buffy, you'd like this show. It doesn't actually look great to me, but I might watch a few reaction vids, to see if I'd like it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 664 Posts

I've tried it. I even made it through most of season one. I just really dislike one of the characters so I finally gave up. I read tat he died recently so I may give it another try. The showrunner is a huge Buffy fan, and is trying to recreate some of the best features of Buffy, and I like what she is doing overall.

How Syfy's 'Wynonna Earp' Is Paying Homage to 'Buffy'

Wynonna Earp: The Best Buffy Since Buffy?

Buffy Earpers Project
    - There's even a podcast and Buffy watch through for Wynona fans.
    Last edited by bespangled; 12-10-18 at 01:51 AM.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

It certainly had its inspiration in Buffy, but as for quality of writing or acting it's not even close. At all. Show was definitely made for women as target audience, even much more than Buffy was, so I can't really judge it properly though. I kind of enjoyed it through first season (and yes guilty pleasure is adequate term for that), but somewhere in the second season it became too much for me. Either too much cheesiness or too much estrogen, I don't know. But again since this show was made for women audience, my opinion probably isn't very relevant though.
    Last edited by Alce; 12-10-18 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 739 Posts

I liked S1 but S2 was so-so. It was one if those shows that had a good premise but didn't know where to go. I'll give S3 a try but I don't have high expectations . Kind of like true blood, started off interesting But couldn't really sell the later seasons. Citizen z is better for female badassery (col warren) and into the bad lands is better for fantasy storytelling.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,612 Times in 3,130 Posts

Buffy Earpers Project - There's even a podcast and Buffy watch through for Wynona fans.
    I actually listen to this podcast They just talk Buffy, not Wynona Earp

- - - Updated - - -

Citizen z is better for female badassery (col warren) and into the bad lands is better for fantasy storytelling.
    I've enjoyed every season on Citizen Z. It's not a great show, but it's just odd enough to keep being interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen an article recently, with the title Can Sabrina Spellman be the Buffy Summers for a New Generation?. It seems every new show is compared to Buffy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 664 Posts

Yeah - I went through this as a Star Trek - TOS fan. I was pretty young when it first came out and I got into fandom in college. At that time we were called trekkies and considered to be immature, pathetic, cultist losers. Bill Shatner even did a comedy sketch yelling at the fans "Get a life." while everyone applauded. What made the jeering worse was that we wrote stories (which I read), fanzines devoted to just talking about the show (Interstat) and had bizarre conventions where people dressed up in costumes. We were a natural target - a national laughingstock.

Then the 1st movie came along - 10 years later. A few more movies. TNG and Comicon - the entire cosplay, conventions circuit - and now Trekkies are simply called nerds and the whole fandom thing has become pop culture.

So - first the comics. Then each show with a strong heroine is compared to Buffy, and found to be failing. Buffy - TNG (oops - reboot) will be loved by many and hated by purists. Pop culture will feed off the feedback. Should be interesting.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-10-18)

Thanks

May have to check that out. Thanks for link Priceless.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-10-18)

Thanks

I started watching it this month and went through season 1 watching it as background noise while working. It's really nothing in quality like Buffy, more like cheesy fun (I guess that counts as "guilty pleasure"), but it's really fun. And towards the end of season 1, it got unexpectedly better and more dramatic. Season 2 has so far been back to cheesy fun, and the only thing I don't like is that it's more procedural so far. I like most of the characters, especially Doc. I love him and the actor is amazing. Does he give Spike vibes to anyone else?
    Even the love triangle doesn't annoy me that much, so far, and WayHaught are really cute. I don't know where they'll go with this new direction for Waverly... we'll see. Season 1 ended with some interesting mysteries, I hope season 2 starts having more of an overall arc soon.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

I mostly watch for WayHaught. Was really more WayNaught in S1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    I mostly watch for WayHaught. Was really more WayNaught in S1.
    You mean you weren't into it in season 1?

Thanks

Well...originally watched the pilot a few years ago. Cause peeps were comparing it to Buffy. Couldn't get into it. Then kept hearing about WayHaught, and decided to give it another try. Nicole doesn't even show up till the 2nd episode. Her character seems to be missing for like half of S1, and her & Waverly don't get together till late in S1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Well...originally watched the pilot a few years ago. Cause peeps were comparing it to Buffy. Couldn't get into it. Then kept hearing about WayHaught, and decided to give it another try. Nicole doesn't even show up till the 2nd episode. Her character seems to be missing for like half of S1, and her & Waverly don't get together till late in S1.
    I know, but I don't see how the latter means there was no WayHaught in season 1. They were teasing them since their first meeting. And then they kissed and then got together finally. Many ships are developed and teased over a much longer period of time. Waiting for a ship to get together used to be most of the fun, I don't know why people today all of a sudden seem to think a ship is not valid or does not exist until the couple is actually dating.

Thanks

Not what I meant at all. Haught is not even in a 1/3 (4 outta 13 episodes) of S1. So there's literally no interaction between the 2 characters for at least a 1/3 of the season. Really it's (their interaction) probably closer to a 1/2. Hence the term WayNaught. BTW - I'm fine with a slow burn relationship. Was mentioning the WayNaught because this series is more of a guilty pleasure kinda show, and if one of the biggest draws of the show is nonexistent. Well then that certainly takes away some of the draw.