Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizerrrbeathan fics discussion thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,528 Posts

Default Lizerrrbeathan fics discussion thread

Some of us are reading Lizerrrbeathan fics and I thought, maybe we should have a thread, where we could post our thoughts about those we have recently read. I would really like to hear, what you are thinking about them. I`ll make a list of all her fics and will post my thoughts bit by bit. I will put them in spoilers in case you haven`t read the fics yet.

Adieu A Dew I Do

The Book of William

Snow Virgins (Prequel)

Spike in Snowlight (Sequel)

Justice Just Us

Life After Wartime (Prequel)

Separation Anxiety (Sequel)

Summing Blue (Prequel)

Summing Blue 2 (Sequel)

Believe in Me

Missed You

I Bequeeth Thee (Prequel)

Boxing Day (Sequel)

Dreams, William Dreams

Kissed Awake

Hello Beginning Again

Regardless

She said Nothing

Spike`s Problem

The Call

flow

ETA: If you are Lizerrrbeathan or a writer of fanfiction and you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration.
    Last edited by flow; 26-10-18 at 09:22 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (10-10-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-10-18),Stoney (08-10-18),thenewbuzwuzz (29-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,979 Times in 5,395 Posts

Since the group read on Adieu, which I enjoyed, I've only read Summing Blue 2. That I felt really was probably a WIP, although it wasn't marked as one. It didn't feel that it ended, although it could have been the end of that part of the story, it certainly felt like the overall story was meant to go further. Snow Virgins and Book of William have been my favourites so far. I enjoyed I Bequeath Thee, as an angsty alternate, but I haven't read Boxing Day yet.

I really enjoy Lizerrrbeathan's stories but I've had some of these fics for years and still haven't gotten around to reading them yet. As always it is just a matter of time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (10-10-18),flow (09-10-18)

Thanks

Adieu A Dew I Do

We`ve read this in the discussion group and I don`t really have much to add to everything that was said there. I simply love and adore this story.

The Book of William
    This is probably my favorite fic by Literrbeathan and one of my absolute favorite Spuffy fics ever. It is a deeply romantic Story and again i can only say that i adore and love Lizerrbeathans unique writing style.

Spoiler:
    For most of the part it was made very clear, or at least seemed to be clear that the Buffy who came to William in 19th century London wasn`t the Buffy from our dimension and the later chapters of the story. It was emphasized by Willam, who stated that he never has been a vampire and was from as different dimension as well. But in the end Spike was still somewhere deep inside him. Therefore I am not sure, how to read the first part of the story. Is TimeTraveling/Buffy really a different Buffy? Or is she connected to every other Buffy from every other dimension, just like William is connected to every other William from every other Dimension?

Snow Virgins (Prequel to Spike by Snow Light)

There are two parts to this fic (Snow Woman and Sandman) and I can say, that for me this fic could easily have ended with the first part. There was a conclusion - though not a happily ever after - that worked absolutely fine with me. The second part was okay but not necessary imho.

Spike by Snowlight (Sequel to Snow Virgins)

This is the sequel to Snow Virgins. As I did not even find the second part of the prequel really necessary, I absolutely don`t think, this sequel was necessary. It doens`t add anything new to the story, imho. I also don`t like Dickens, which didn`t help much either.

Justice Just Us

I found this fic plot driven and very intriguing and fascinating for about 80% of it. Then there was an epilogue that made about 20 % of the fic and I was completely thrown out of the loop. If you are going to read this, I`d recommend you to just skip the epilogue. The fic (minus the epilogue) is about a trial.

Spoiler:
    Angel is tried for murdering Drogyn and Spike is his defense lawyer. The Immortal is the prosecuting attorney. It`s very unusual but interesting

Life After Wartime and Separation Anxiety

I could not get into Life After Wartime. Not at all. I did not understand, what this was about. I did not even try to read the sequel. Has anyone read this fic?

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (10-10-18)

Thanks

I would have to reread The Book of William flow. As much as I have it listed as a 'favourite' in my lists I don't remember the aspect you've spoiler tagged at all. These stories were some of the first ones I read, so it's over five years ago ish and I just don't remember them that well. I remember enjoying Snow Virgins more than the sequel but can't remember why I preferred the first over the second. Again it would have to be a reread. I haven't read Life After Wartime yet, it is in the huge 'to read' pile that is getting equalled by the 'to read again' pile!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 702 Posts

Adieu A Dew I Do

So as you know, I read this and posted my thoughts on the other thread. It's the first LizrrB fic I've ever read, and needless to say, I really, really enjoyed it. She's such a standout writer with a mastery over stream of consciousness that I've rarely come across in fanfics. Her style never, ever goes flat.

Of all the others, I've so far only read the one below, which is fairly short. I like this one a lot.

She Said Nothing

Spoiler:

There's something about the way she does stream of consciousness - this is a brilliant example.

We follow Buffy getting out of a cab, walking into the Wolfram and Hart building, climbing into the elevator, heading over to Angel to confront him over why he's kept Spike a secret, finding Spike (and kicking down a wall to do so) and when she sees him - well - the whole moment is an epiphany. With a few words - she's summarised their history and plumbed the depths of Spike's reasons for possibly not going after her, described Buffy's resolute choice, their deep longing for each other, and in the process she's also described the majesty of Buffy Summers, satirised the whole of W&H, and managed to do all this without any dialogue.

It's pretty difficult actually - to do that and not sound corny. There's dynamism and movement and energy - with a few visual word pictures she makes you palpably feel the sights and sounds - the ogling taxi driver, the glass doors to the entrance to the building, the types of people who use the elevators...
    She's got the celebrity of the Slayer down, that sense of purpose, of strength, the legendary-ness, the power.
    It's as much an ode to Buffy as it is to Spuffy - I like that about it. It's also very cinematic - you can almost feel a camera circling Spike and Buffy at the end.

So, yeah, I liked this. Though it's a bit short and I would love a sequel, a 'what happens after' type thing. But I think the point of it is it's a symbolic moment/ epiphany.

The Book of William

Just to be clear - I haven't read this yet, I've only skimmed it...and I have a few questions so I'll put those in spoilers....

Spoiler:
    It's VERY intriguing, that's for sure - but I have to ask a few questions first:

1. Why does William think this blonde woman he sees is older than him? She seems to be Buffy, I love how fascinated/ dumstruck he is by her - but I can't imagine why she would be older unless there was some weird time loopage thing happening. Has Buffy grown older and is going back to William in time?

2. Is there going to be any Spike in this? I like the character of William (because he establishes Spike's backstory, his romantic roots and his core character traits, but I much prefer Spike to William. So... if it's all Wuffy with no Spuffy - I'm going to be less intrigued. Not that I don't enjoy Wuffy..but I'd really prefer Spike to show up at some point. So it may not be my cup of tea for that reason.

3. As far as Wuffy fics go, this is absolutely beautiful - this is pretty much exactly how I imagine William would react to seeing Buffy if she were in his time. Great job with capturing Buffy's voice peeking through, even as she's trying to fit in with this time period..

4. The epilogue freaks me out a little - and some of the abstraction of the prose. Mostly this fic just seems so mammoth sized I'll probably save it for later when there's more time - how long did it take people to finish reading it roughly? A couple of weeks? Is it comparable to Adieu in tone?

Summing Blue 2 - haven't read, only skimmed, but I think I'll really enjoy this!!
    I don't think I skimmed it in the right order so I will go to the prequel first.

Thank you so, so much again flow - for giving me access to all these amazing fics!!
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 10-10-18 at 01:00 PM.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

Thanks

SpuffyGlitz: I`ll try to answer your questions regarding The Book of William in Spoilers:

Spoiler:
    I think Buffy is a Buffy from another dimension in which Spike died and she travelled to this dimension and back in time. That is why she seems to be older. But I am not really sure about this. This is part of my own question (in the spoilers in my post above) about The Book of Willam.

There will be a tiny little bit of Spike at the very end, but it really is mostly a William fic.

The fic is set in our time. It is really just in the prologue that we see William and Buffy meeting back in his time. It has not really much to do with the rest of the story, except, that it raises some questions, about persons, souls and dimensions.

It `s very comparable to Adieu in tone and I liked it even better. I didn`t even notice it was that long until I revised it for this thread. When I started, I got completely sucked in and just read until I was finished.

You should definitely read Summing Blue first and Summing Blue 2 after that.

I`ll go on with my thoughts about some more of Lizerrrbeathans stories:

Summing Blue (prequel to Summing Blue 2)

Spoiler:
    This is a very short take on Something Blue with the difference to Canon that Buffy and Spike did not only kiss but also made love. It is very sweet.

Summing Blue 2 (Sequel to Summing Blue)

Spoiler:
    In this fic Spike and Buffy have to deal with the consequences of their lovemaking in Summing Blue. The story ends rather abruptely. It could very easily be a WIP, like Stoney said. Lizerrrbeathan often leaves an authors note at the end of her fics and it is missing here, which could also be an indication that the story was never completed. But on the other hand I think the ending does fit. I actually like that the final line "Where would he go?" leaves so many different options to the imagination of the reader. To me it could even be a trigger for Spike to go and search for his soul (perhaps after a bit more thinking and considering).

Believe in Me

A short and sweet reunion fic that takes place in The End of Days and The Girl in question. It has got this Quote, which I think, fits perfectly to what happened to them in season 12:

"Memorize me, William, please remember me, and who I am and if the story catches me up and takes me away and I seem altered or...I don't know what...if ever I seem to be .o.k. or something living away from you...don't believe it...something wonderful...something wonderful is happening to us...and I think there are forces in the world that don't like it...we...we offend them somehow...Giles has already proven that to me...and the others...maybe it's because we aren't destined...it's just something we decided for ourselves...and...Spike...The First or whatever it is, is going to try to stop us...and...and so if I ever break apart from you..."

And here she whispered...

"Don't believe it. Cuz this is it. This, what we have now...this feeling is what I want..this is what I have been fighting for."
    Missed You

I have warned about this story before and I am repeating it now.

Spoiler:
    It has a major character`s death and it is Happening in a horrible way.

I Bequeeth Thee (prequel to Boxing Day)

This story has a bitter tone. That doesn`t mean I don`t like it. I actually liked it a lot. It is just not as romantic as many of Lizerrrbeathan`s other stories. But it has a very lovely Dawn/Spike conversation in which Dawn tells Spike how she often dreams of what happened to Buffy and Spike in different dimensions.

I am going to read Boxing Day next. Priceless: Did you finish Boxing Day? You said there were links missing, does the story still make sense?

flow
    Last edited by flow; 10-10-18 at 01:13 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (10-10-18)

Thanks

I really like I Bequeath Thee, in particular the bit that flow mentions (Spike & Dawn friendship gets me every time). I haven't read Boxing Day yet. I asked the person I originally got the file from if they had a copy of the dream which the link was supposed to go to, but they didn't unfortunately. I think it is the only link in the story, but Pricey may have found more from reading it through.

Thanks

These are all wonderful suggestions - however are there links where we can read these stories?

Thanks

Cil_Domney: Most of them are not online anymore. Below you can find some links. I will happily send you the other stories via email, if you send me an pm with your email adress.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502152...nowvirgins.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200502152...ysnowlight.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200502131...ummingBlue.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200508260...fics/Adieu.htm

http://offline.buffy.de/outlink_en.p.../lifeafter.htm

flow
    Last edited by flow; 10-10-18 at 08:07 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 8,006 Times in 3,841 Posts

I am going to read Boxing Day next. Priceless: Did you finish Boxing Day? You said there were links missing, does the story still make sense?
    I'm not sure, I read it a while ago and I can't remember well. The way the story is set out, if seems we only have half of it. It may be that it needs to be read alongside another fic, but from what I remember some of the links to chapeters are missing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I really like I Bequeath Thee, in particular the bit that flow mentions (Spike & Dawn friendship gets me every time). I haven't read Boxing Day yet. I asked the person I originally got the file from if they had a copy of the dream which the link was supposed to go to, but they didn't unfortunately. I think it is the only link in the story, but Pricey may have found more from reading it through.
    I vaguely remember other links . . . but I could be remembering wrongly. I'd like someone else to read it and remind me what the issue was

Thanks

Boxing Day:

This story was a very mixed bag imho.

It started exactly where the prequel - I Bequeeth Thee - ended. Spike is living in Canada (GoSpuffy, there is one for you!) caring for his cats, having thoughts about Buffy, dreams about her, visits a friends who is a shaman- slowly it becomes clear that Spike has been fighting demons from other dimension for years with the help of his shaman friend who can open portals. It also becomes clear, that Buffy has - after her death - become Spikes spirit guide and they start talking to each other in their thoughts. I am not really very spiritual, so the idea of a spirit guide is not my cup of tea but this was convincingly done and well written.

Buffy explained to Spike, why she did not contact him after the hellmouth but instead went on to live her life with another man (with whom she had children). She said, that Spike was (at the point, where they went down into the hellmouth) not yet ready and not yet the man he could be. To say it with Angel`s words - he was not yet cookies. And she did not want to wait.

That is a very interesting explanation and I think, the writer has got a point there. That Spike still had some growing up to do is actually a path the comics went down as well, although they did it differently.

Finally it is revealed, what Buffy has left to Spike. It is - surprise surprise

Spoiler:
    the Gem of Amarra.

I won`t rant about this again. Sigh. The Gem of Amarra. Oh. Well. Sod it.

She bequeethed him for a reason and the reason is, that Connor is dying and can only be saved by Spike and the heirloom. I do like Connor a lot, but this is the part of the story, where I almost skipped. The means by which Connor is saved in the end is gruesome but we never meet Connor himself. We meet Angel, who is grief-stricken and shanshued, but not Connor himself. There is simply no reason to feel for Connor or to understand, why Spike would take such drastic measure to save a human he hardly knows and has hardly ever met (if he met him at all).

After Connor is saved, Spike goes on to kill the demons that have killed Buffy. This is again very well written and we see the hero Spike, the warrior Spike, the bad ass Spike at his best.

We then get a family reunion with Dawn, her hubby, their kids and Buffy`s orphaned kids. They seek shelter at Spike`s home. It`s nice to see the Dawn/Spike interaction and to see Spike interacting with Buffy´s kids. It is a satisfying end to a story that is - as I said - a very mixed bag and sometimes feels to be made of several small stories or plot bunnies that got thrown together.

During the whole story Spike dreams of a Buffy (and a Spike) in another dimension. There are three dreams altogether and they were accessible only through links that don`t work anymore, which means, the dream sequences themselves are lost forever.

We can only assume from what Spike says and thinks about these dreams that in a different dimension another version of Buffy and Spike had sex as early as season 2. Drusilla got killed and Buffy got pregnant. Our Spike worries about her a lot, because Giles and Angel don`t take the news friendly and finally, after the possibility of an abortion is brought up, other!Buffy runs away to L.A. and works in a diner. At that point I was hoping, our Spike would jump dimensions, show up at the diner and be Buffy`s support. He didn`t though. Soulless, evil and unchipped other!Spike came back and fulfilled the role of being a father. I had to admit, that I would have loved to read this Story. It`s an interesting premise.

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

During the whole story Spike dreams of a Buffy (and a Spike) in another dimension. There are three dreams altogether and they were accessible only through links that don`t work anymore, which means, the dream sequences themselves are lost forever.
    That's why I gave up on this fic, because I thought the dream sequences were so important to the story that if I couldn't read them, the fic wouldn't make full sense.

Thanks

She Said Nothing

I agree with everything SpuffyGlitz said in her comment in the spoiler brackets. This is not only a very short fic, it also covers only a very short moment. It`s an L.A. reunion fic and we see nothing but Buffy walking into the W&H building, smashing in the door to Angel`s office and then kicking in a wall. Just as the title promised, she says nothing. And yet we see and feel her power, her anger, her determination, her strive and most of all her love.

It is masterly written.

ETA: It`s only about 1k words long, so it`s a short read. In cae you want to read something on the bus or on the train or wherever, it`ll work perfectly. I also thought it was a fitting ending. Everything that needed to be said, was said. Not that I wouldn`t love more stories by Lizerrbeathan, but this story was complete the way it is.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 30-11-18 at 04:00 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (28-11-18)

Thanks

During the holidays I have not (yet) managed to keep up with the discussion group, but I have managed to read two more of Lizerrbeathans fics, namely

Regardless

and

Spike`s Problem

Both are very short one-shots. I think they are the shortest of all of Lizerrrbeathan fics, I have seen so far. Spike`s Problem is set in season 4 and it is mainly about Spike trying to adjust to being chipped. There must be a sequel to it called Buffy`s Problem, because it is mentioned at the end. Unfortunately the sequel is either lost or maybe was never written or published at all.

Regardless is set in season 7 and it is a conversation between Buffy and Spike that immediately follows the Shadowmen incident. It is a conversation, we did not see in canon, but that maybe should have taken place. It also turns out to be slightly different from canon, because

Spoiler:
    after killing the demon, Spike comes to the conclusion, that he cannot be the killer Buffy needs in her fight against The First Evil. Not anymore.

Both are written in the stream-of-consciousness style, Lizerrrbeathan writes so masterly. I was completely on board with the shortness of She Said Nothing, but this time, I would have liked both stories to be a bit longer and to explore the situation Spike and Buffy find themselves in a bit more.

flow

- - - Updated - - -

My Christmas present to myself was reading the remaining stories of Lizerrrbeathan. All three of them are one-shots, but not quite as short as Regardless and/or Spike`s Problem. They felt more complete.

Dreams, William Dreams

While still a human, William has been dreaming of a blond girl.
    Spoiler:
    The story uses the well known scene from Out Of My Mind with Spike waking up from a dream, buit instead of only realizing he is in love with Buffy he does also realize, that Buffy is the girl from his human days dreams.

I especially love the first part about William. Lizerrrbeathan writes such a wonderful William and I am a sucker for William stories anyway...

Kissed Awake

This story starts with Buffy running after Xander in Entropy. There are no explanations, there are no sentences wasted. We jump right into the story with Buffy running for dear life. The writer expects us to know instantly, where we are and what is happening.
    Spoiler:
    But this time it ends differently. Buffy arrives just a fraction of a second too late and Spike is dust. It is horrible, devastating and heartbreaking, but what is lovely about this story, is to see Buffy`s grief and numbness and mourning and her realization, that she loved Spike in the days, weeks and even years to follow.

Hello Beginning Again

This story starts with a very interesting premise, that would probably work for a novel-length story as well. Buffy has at some point post Chosen or NFA (we don`t really get to know) lost her memory. A year has passed since and her memory does not return. Giles and Dawn even took her to visit Angel, hoing it woul stirr something. But nothing.
    Then, one evening, Buffy is sitting in a bar and a stranger comes to talk to her. A good looking guy with light brown hair, pulled back in a ponytail and bright blue eyes. It turns out, this guy is a vampire. It also turns out, that he knows her...

As I said, the premise would easily make for a much longer fic. Actually Lizerrrbeathan must have planned on a sequel, because she says so at the end, but the sequel either was never written at all or sadly was lost.

And this is it. I`ve read all of her fics now and I am sad that I will never get the pleasure to read something written by her for the very first time.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 13-02-19 at 08:22 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (26-12-18),Priceless (25-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (26-12-18),Stoney (25-12-18),TriBel (27-12-18)

Thanks

I was just asking myself, how you would pronounce Lizerrrbeathan in English.

In German I would say Lee - there- bea- uttan. But it`s probably very different in English. I don`t think, there will ever be a Chance to say the name, but I still would like to know how to doit right

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

22. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I was just asking myself, how you would pronounce Lizerrrbeathan in English.

In German I would say Lee - there- bea- uttan. But it`s probably very different in English. I don`t think, there will ever be a Chance to say the name, but I still would like to know how to doit right

flow
    Canadian English pronunciation would be Liz Er Beath En. You know it's a play on the word Elizabethan? I think you should pronounce it close to the German word for that era.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-02-19),Stoney (13-02-19)

Thanks

I think it depends on accents, but I'd pronounce it Liz-err-bee-th-n . . . which will sound very different in German

To me, the way you've spelt it sounds really odd when I say it out loud, the bea-uttan sounds like Bhutan, the country in Asia

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (13-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,669 Times in 2,025 Posts

Google translate says Elizabethan is elisabethanisch in German.

Here (drop the first E):

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (13-02-19),Priceless (13-02-19)

Thanks

Ah, thanks everyone. You are fantastic. I actually never realized, that her nick name was a play on the word Elizabethan. Maybe that is because the German equivalent is pronounced a bit differently. If you`d like to know how, you can listen to it here:

https://educalingo.com/de/dic-de/elisabethanisch

But maybe it is just because I am a nitwit, lol.

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-02-19),Stoney (13-02-19)

Thanks

flow, that's really interesting, thank you for sharing. Aliz-a-bet-ar-nish

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (13-02-19)