Thread: Challenge 76: How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

Thanks

Default Challenge 76: How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

Challenge 76: How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

HBHBHB is an Album by one of my favorite bands, Florence + Machine. The album was released in 2015 to critical acclaim and commercial success. For those of you who are familiar with the band's work, you know how fantastical and out of this world their songs tend to be. Filled with great metaphors and amazing sounds, the songs take you on an amazing journey.

So, what is this challenge about, you ask? It is a lyrical challenge. But I also want you to explore the sounds and moods in the songs, as well as the lyrics of said songs. So, it’s not just the lyrical content that should be used in the wallpaper, it is also the feel of the music itself that needs to come about in your own artistic way.
    While this challenge is about this one specific album, I will allow you to use songs from other albums if you have any emotional connection with.

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful Track List:
    1. "Ship to Wreck"
    2. "What Kind of Man"
    3. "How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful"
    4. "Queen of Peace"
    5. "Various Storms & Saints"
    6. "Delilah"
    7. "Long & Lost"
    8. "Caught"
    9. "Third Eye"
    10. "St. Jude"
    11. "Mother"

I trust you to look up the songs on YouTube, Apple Music or any other Music Streaming service you might use.

So to sum things up:

Option A:
    Use a song off HBHBHB in your art. I recommend you read the lyrics before listening to it to get a better idea of what it's about.

Option B:
    Know a song by F+M from another album and want to use that? Great! Just make sure you explain why you picked it.

Size: I usually prefer Wallpapers but I'll allow "Tumblr" size art. I don't want to restrict anyone. What I'm not allowing are Icons. I want you guys to tell a story and I don't think you can do that through a single icon.
    Fandoms: All.
    Deadline: the 6th of November, one month from now.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Feel free to message me for any questions, directions and what not!

Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 07-10-18 at 06:44 AM.
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (06-10-18),Bre (13-10-18),buffylover (06-10-18),Double Dutchess (07-10-18),Fuzzy (07-10-18),Nina (06-10-18),Priceless (06-10-18),Stoney (06-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,627 Posts

Great challenge Josh. I'm now off to listen to the album

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (06-10-18),Josh (06-10-18)

Thanks

Thank you! Can’t wait to see what you come you come up with!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-10-18)

Library Researcher Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the challenge, Josh. I feel some inspiration coming up, but... do I understand correctly that the result needs to be a wallpaper?

Thanks

I prefer Wallpaper size art to 'Tumblr' size but I don't want to restrict anyone who might not feel comfortable with a full scale wallpaper so any size is welcome unless it's just an icon. I want you guys to be able to tell a story. Thanks for asking, I'm gonna edit my post

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (11-10-18),Priceless (07-10-18)

Thanks

This didn't turn out as I really wanted, but I think it conveys how the song made me feel . . .

Spoiler:

Images - Priceless
    Font - DaFont
    Everything else - Gimp
    Last edited by Priceless; 08-10-18 at 06:07 PM.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (09-10-18),Bre (13-10-18),buffylover (08-10-18),Double Dutchess (11-10-18),Fuzzy (15-10-18),HowiMetdaSlayer (15-10-18),Josh (08-10-18),Nina (08-10-18),Stoney (08-10-18),thenewbuzwuzz (11-10-18),TriBel (08-10-18)

Thanks

I have listened to the full album and I believe "Various Storms & Saints" really suited my theme especially the part of the song.

"Somewhere in the belly of the beast"

This line, in particular, is what I wanted to art. It does feel that this is a love song but, I would like to interpret my own creative style of the song meaning.

To me, it feels that she sings about fighting yourself or someone else, so this was a perfect metaphor for the 'The Dark Knight' that Batman sometimes is fighting himself and also his villains, which I try to art within the journey of the film that I tried to connect with the song, and I thought that the Joker was a good representation of what the song means to me, so I placed the lyrics on the Joker set showcasing that Batman is somewhere in the belly of the beast. I hope this makes sense.

My intentions for this banner set was to make it haunting and abstract within a grunge and very dark atmosphere within the use of textures and filters.

Somewhere in the belly of the beast. (Tumblr banner set)

Credits;
    Screencaps; {here}
    Textures; All mine and some over at pinterest collage textures.
    Type; New Times Roman

Until next time,

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (09-10-18),Bre (13-10-18),Double Dutchess (11-10-18),Fuzzy (15-10-18),Josh (09-10-18),Nina (09-10-18),Priceless (09-10-18),Stoney (09-10-18)

Thanks

What Kind Of Man . . .

Spoiler:

Screencaps - Priceless
    Everything else - Gimp

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (09-10-18),Bre (13-10-18),buffylover (10-10-18),Double Dutchess (11-10-18),Fuzzy (15-10-18),HowiMetdaSlayer (15-10-18),Josh (10-10-18),Nina (09-10-18),Stoney (09-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,103 Posts

St. Jude

I decided to art a movie that is not even out yet.... best idea ever. There are a few stills, some posters and no real promo photoshoots.

Major Spoilers for HP & the Fantastic Beasts movies (if you did not finish the HP series):
    Spoiler:
    Okay this album by Florence + the Machine is obviously about a romance gone wrong and how to deal with that. In the Harry Potter universe the relation gone wrong is of course Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald. Both men are smarter and stronger than any other, which draws them together. They get drunk on their own power eventually. But one (Dumbledore) snapped out of it and the other (Grindelwald) did not. It takes Dumbledore a very long time to face Grindelwald, even when Grindelwald is trying to take over the world. Eventually they will face eachother in battle and Dumbledore will win. But that will happen later, in this movie Dumbledore refuses to deal with Grindelwald. In one of the trailers we see the mirror of Erised (Desire) again, a mirror that shows you your deepest desire. In HP1 Harry asks Dumbledore what he sees and Dumbledore says that he sees himself with a pair of warm socks. But in this trailer we see that he (obviously) sees Grindelwald.

The song St. Jude reminded me of Dumbledore's struggle with his feelings for Grindelwald. And the song has almost an ethereal feeling, so I tried to bring that back with the colouring.

I wanted to make a .gif but the quality decreased in such a drastic way that I decided to dump that idea. Instead there is a part 1 and a part 2 now. Oh and uploading the wallpapers decreased their quality. I'll look for an alternative later this week.

Part 1:
    Spoiler:

Part 2:
    Spoiler:

Resources:
    Pictures - Snitchseeker, Lune Blanche (DA) & Virgin Megastore (they sell magical mirrors there.)
    Gradients - Daydreaming
    Brushes - Brusheezy
    Texture - Chodingdino (Tumblr)

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (10-10-18),Bre (13-10-18),buffylover (10-10-18),Double Dutchess (11-10-18),Fuzzy (15-10-18),Josh (10-10-18),Priceless (10-10-18),Stoney (10-10-18)

Library Researcher Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I prefer Wallpaper size art to 'Tumblr' size but I don't want to restrict anyone who might not feel comfortable with a full scale wallpaper so any size is welcome unless it's just an icon. I want you guys to be able to tell a story. Thanks for asking, I'm gonna edit my post
    Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't planning on doing any icons, so that's good

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Josh (11-10-18)

Thanks

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

The lyrics that stuck with me were;

And meanwhile a man was falling from space
    And every day I wore your face

What are we gonna do?
    We've opened the door, now it's all coming through

So much time on the other side
    Waiting for you to wake up
    Waiting for you to wake up
    Maybe I'll see you in another life
    If this one wasn't enough

Spike wore a face, even as William. He wore one face for his mother and another for Cecily, and Dru saw another. So many selves. But he door was left open and he had to walk through to find another life. The music was very upbeat, but the lyrics were bittersweet.

Spoiler:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Screencaps - Priceless
    Wallpaper - Freepik
    Everything else - Gimp

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (14-10-18),Double Dutchess (14-10-18),Fuzzy (15-10-18),Josh (14-10-18),Nina (14-10-18)

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting challenge. Might do one later...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Josh (15-10-18),Priceless (15-10-18)