Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: After Show Reactions

Thanks
    Thanked 8,750 Times in 4,206 Posts

Default After Show Reactions

For those who don't know, there are a lot of people on youtube who post videos of themselves watching tv shows. They are called Reactioners. They are incredibly popular. One of the most popular is After Show Reactions, who has over 7 thousand followers. She is watching Buffy and Angel and has a few followers on the forum. Here is her first video, from only December last year, so she's only been doing it for 9 months and is already upto Season 6.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (28-09-18),TimeTravellingBunny (29-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,211 Posts

Here's a direct link to her channels front page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvE...8zGp5f0JvfJcMQ

As you can see she covers a lot of other shows too including Angel.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 2,283 Posts

ASR' reactions are great. She is doing Buffy and Angel in parallel since S4/S1.
    Another great Buffy reactor is van, but she's been releasing videos a bit more slowly lately. She is in late season 3. There's also TheMinarus (S3), Liam Duke (he is in S2, and has just seen WML2), Bbangerang, JustArvin (also S2) and Anything Petersen Reacts, who's still in S1
    But some of them have been releasing videos a bit more slowly. ASR is almost always on schedule, and at least releases 4 Buffyverse videos a week.

Buffy seems to be the most popular finished/past show for people to suggest for reactions (other than maybe Lost), and the popularity of these videos and the number of people who comment on them is a testament how strong the Buffy fandom still is, after all these years.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

flow (29-09-18),Priceless (29-09-18),Silver1 (29-09-18),Sosa lola (29-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

ASR (Shannon) is a cherry blossom, pace Malcolm Reynolds. My only occasional annoyance is when she pauses episodes to ask questions (I assume on her discord) and I'm like "... or just watch the episode and find out". She just got through Tabula Rasa on her patreon side, the musical reaction was fantastic because she had managed to never have heard there even was one, so seeing the credits and overture and launching into "Going Through the Motions" was this study in bewilderment and realization. And she basically imploded at the ending of course -- can't wait for "Smashed" on that count on one hand but can't wait for "Seeing Red" on that count on the other.

I really am glad to see these reactors out there that all were basically infants or just dirty thoughts when the show came out watching it and really appreciating it.

Banner by LRae12

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

flow (29-09-18),Silver1 (29-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    ASR (Shannon) is a cherry blossom, pace Malcolm Reynolds. My only occasional annoyance is when she pauses episodes to ask questions (I assume on her discord) and I'm like "... or just watch the episode and find out". She just got through Tabula Rasa on her patreon side, the musical reaction was fantastic because she had managed to never have heard there even was one, so seeing the credits and overture and launching into "Going Through the Motions" was this study in bewilderment and realization. And she basically imploded at the ending of course -- can't wait for "Smashed" on that count on one hand but can't wait for "Seeing Red" on that count on the other.

I really am glad to see these reactors out there that all were basically infants or just dirty thoughts when the show came out watching it and really appreciating it.
    What's wrong with pausing videos to ask questions? That's one of the things I appreciate about ASR, and also JuliDG (another great reactor, who, unfortunately, isn't doing Buffy), they always pause videos when they want to make any comment. There are some other reactors who just talk during the video and end up missing lines of dialogue or important information, because they talked right over it. And then they don't understand things, because they didn't pay enough attention when they should have. That especially happens with those that do group reactions. Some of those are pretty frustrating, and then people in the comments have to tell them "This is what actually happened, this is what was actually said, you would know if you were paying attention instead of talking over the episode".
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Puppet (12-11-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

What's wrong with pausing videos to ask questions?
    Maybe because she seems to do it so often, and that in reality she only has to carry on watching the thing to have her questions answered.

can't wait for "Smashed" on that count on one hand but can't wait for "Seeing Red" on that count on the other.
    I'm dreading both because I think given her past viewing she's not going to cope with it very well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Maybe because she seems to do it so often, and that in reality she only has to carry on watching the thing to have her questions answered.

I'm dreading both because I think given her past viewing she's not going to cope with it very well.
    But we're watching the videos to see people's spontaneous reactions, right? So why would you prefer reactors to stay silent and not say anything? Seems to beat the purpose.

Slayer
    Thanks

So why would you prefer reactors to stay silent and not say anything?
    Okay, point to my comment where I said that.

I don't know how many reactors you watch, but yes, most make comments but not quite way she does. And particularly not aimed at such obvious questions.

She just comes across to me (yes, obviously JUST me) as very immature for her age.
    Last edited by Silver1; 29-09-18 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,750 Times in 4,206 Posts

Just want to add to what others have said about Liam Duke. I really enjoy his reactions too, though I haven't watched everyone. I might have posted this before, but I really enjoyed his Halloween reaction because he obviously enjoyed it so much

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (29-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Yeah, I follow him and Van.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (29-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    What's wrong with pausing videos to ask questions? That's one of the things I appreciate about ASR, and also JuliDG (another great reactor, who, unfortunately, isn't doing Buffy), they always pause videos when they want to make any comment. There are some other reactors who just talk during the video and end up missing lines of dialogue or important information, because they talked right over it. And then they don't understand things, because they didn't pay enough attention when they should have. That especially happens with those that do group reactions. Some of those are pretty frustrating, and then people in the comments have to tell them "This is what actually happened, this is what was actually said, you would know if you were paying attention instead of talking over the episode".
    I guess it's because... we didn't get to, right? We had to just watch it play out. I kinda prefer my reaction watches to emulate the live viewing experience. It's already changed somewhat by the fact they can binge -- she took some crap for not immediately doing "The Body" on schedule, I thought it was stupid that people couldn't remember WE ALL had to wait a week in winter 2001, so why couldn't she?

Also, do you seriously see no margin between "literally stopping the program to ask questions to discord" and "watching in silence without reacting"?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I follow him and Van.
    I watch all three of those and TheMinarus too. Nice variety of perspectives.

You are probably right, "Seeing Red" is going to be as hard for her as any episode yet has been I suspect. It's probably one the best structured episodes for shaking up an audience ever, since it gives you with plenty of time left what you think will be the big shock of the episode and then shows you you don't know what shock is.

Banner by LRae12

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (29-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I guess it's because... we didn't get to, right? We had to just watch it play out.
    And that's relevant because...?

I kinda prefer my reaction watches to emulate the live viewing experience.
    So you want them to pretend they don't know people will be watching their videos?

Also, do you seriously see no margin between "literally stopping the program to ask questions to discord" and "watching in silence without reacting"?
    Yes. I see the margin of "talking over the episode", as some reactors do - which is by far the worst option.

And I still don't understand why you have a problem with her stopping the episode. You've already seen the episode, you know what happens in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks for these everyone. Buffy/Angel, Lost and Avatar/Korra. At this rate I could spend an entire work shift just watching YouTube reactions. With Avatar going live action on Netflix and Buffy possibly rebooting, these reactors can probably do some kind of old vs new reactions soon enough.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-09-18),Silver1 (30-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,691 Times in 5,681 Posts

As in she's very anti Spike, anti Spike/Buffy or just doesn't deal well with emotionally heightened moments??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 1,663 Posts

She is absolutely in love with Spike. That will be the problem. The higher you fly, the deeper you fall. She might get over the AR but the emotional impact the moment it happens will be huge.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 30-09-18 at 10:17 AM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-09-18),Silver1 (30-09-18),Stoney (30-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    As in she's very anti Spike, anti Spike/Buffy or just doesn't deal well with emotionally heightened moments??
    She adores Spike - he is her favourite character, loves Spike/Buffy (even though she also loved Buffy/Angel), and loves Willow/Tara. And she gets very emotional.

Her OMWF reaction (the latest Buffy one) was great, especially since she knew it was a special episode, but not that it was a musical, and you should see her reaction at the end!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (30-09-18),Stoney (30-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    As the others here have said she loves Spike....for the moment. After events in season 6 I'm not so sure how she's going to go. She still professes a love of Bangel now and again, so depending on how thing pan out we'll see If she's revert to that pairing.

Yes, imo she does seem to overreact now and again, but then I suspect thats part of the exaggerated responses that all Youtube reactors do. Some more then others though.

Remember these people are posting these for views, subs and money via patron. So for some It's the equiveralnt of 'dancing for cash'. Got to put on a show dont'cha know.
    Last edited by Silver1; 30-09-18 at 10:24 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-09-18),Stoney (30-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 1,663 Posts

I actually have to go back and watch her reaction to Angel snapping Jenny‘s neck again. She is still Bangely but I think, she cooled down a bit after that.

Stoney, you should really watch her reaction to OMWF.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (30-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (30-09-18),Stoney (30-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 811 Posts

Stoney, you've gotta watch her reactions! It's totally worth it! I've only watched a few of her reactions so far - (Out of My Mind is also worth a watch just for her reaction at the end! and some other episodes in s2 and s3 as well as Into the Woods). I completely love her. Her reaction to OMWF is just delightful (she had managed to never have heard that it was a musical, or know anything that happens..but she'd heard it was a landmark episode.) Her commentary is interesting - she reacts in a heartfelt, spontaneous way to each episode (she's genuinely watching each for the first time). I think you'll enjoy it.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Stoney (30-09-18),TimeTravellingBunny (30-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,691 Times in 5,681 Posts

I don't tend to ever watch these (I'd rather watch the show myself or talk about it) but I might take a look at the OMWF one if it is really entertaining.

Who knows re: Seeing Red flow. I remember reacting a lot as someone who was unspoiled for the show, but it didn't stop Spike being my favourite character. I just wanted to see where it was going to go afterwards. Perhaps it depends on how much she has fallen into believing too much in what he would/could achieve soulless and whether that 'spoils' his arc for her or if she stays invested in what comes next for him. How pleased she is by the end of Grave would also be pretty indicative of her viewpoint along those lines.

The only other time I have ever watched a 'reactor' video was when I was told it was a must to see Mark's reaction to Seeing Red as he was someone who was unspoiled and adored Tara.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (30-09-18)