Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: After Show Reactions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 537 Posts

Uh oh, I just noticed Liam Duke put up an unboxing video in which someone gifted him a Buffy poster with the characters of Dawn, Riley, Tara (& no Oz in it), alongside the known characters of Buffy, Spike, Willow, Anya, Giles and Xander. (Given he's such a big Woz shipper, I hope he doesn't start wondering why Oz isn't in it.)

He said he didn't recognise the new characters. But since Joss is also standing in the group he's assuming that Riley, Dawn and Tara are just "staff members", not actors. I really hope he believes that and isn't spoiled this early. I want all the new characters to be surprises for him.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-03-19),Silver1 (10-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,792 Times in 3,215 Posts

Liam isn't daft, I'm sure he knows they're actors in the show, but wants to protect himself from being spoiled. I'm a bit mad someone sent him a poster with characters he doesn't know yet, it really spoils it for him, even if he doesn't acknowledge it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (11-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (11-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (11-03-19)

Thanks

Yeah I don't think he believes that either, plus they have all the actors' signatures in the poster so he can easily look them up. But I'm hoping he doesn't feel tempted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-03-19)

Thanks

After Show Reactions has First Date and Get It Done out.

I'm watching a new reactor called Introvert Reacts, as she's quite good, very believable. Anyone else seen her?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (14-03-19)

Thanks

Yes she seems really nice, and I love that she'll be focusing on just Buffy to start with :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,384 Times in 2,526 Posts

I've watched ASR's reactions to "Storyteller" and "Release."

She wasn't a huge fan of "Storyteller." She said it wasn't a bad episode per say but that it wasn't anything special either. She said she's not really a fan of Andrew so obviously an Andrew-centric episode wasn't going to appeal to her all that much.

She seemed to really enjoy "Release" and she expressed how much she was loving the Faith/Wes dynamic. She seems genuinely worried that Angelus is going to sire Faith at the end and, to be fair, she made a valid point that it could have hypothetically activated another Slayer on "Buffy." Since the Potentials are playing such a central role in Season 7 I actually don't think it's that ludicrous to speculate that Faith may have been killed as a way of influencing events happening on "Buffy." She hasn't seemed to twig onto the fact yet that Faith's appearance here is likely leading to her appearing on the other show too or, if she has, she's playing it close to the chest.

Liam Duke has also released his reaction to "Graduation Day I." I have to admit, I think for the first time ever I was a little disappointed by his reaction to this one. He clearly enjoyed the episode a lot and he was squeeing like crazy over the Willow/Oz scenes but he talked a lot over some key scenes which I felt hampered his ability to fully immerse himself in them (the scene with The Mayor in the library in particular).

Geeked Out Nation has released "Lie to Me" too. He loved the episode and said he believes it was the best episode of the series so far. I did have that slight feeling again that there's things about the show that just don't click with him as he couldn't work out why Buffy staked Ford at the end which was really strange and he seemed so fixated on trying to figure out if Ford was actually a vampire - which I'd have thought was incredibly obvious - that it seemed to totally distract him from the beautiful dialogue in that scene between Buffy/Giles. Also, he's repeated in several reactions now that he's confused by the vampire siring rules and can't figure out why some people are turned and some are not. I find it very frustrating as a quick Google search or going back and rewatching "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and/or reading the transcript would clear this up for him instead of being confused in every episode. I'm also sure someone has explained it to him in the comments now too. But otherwise a nice reaction and he loved it.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (15-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (15-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (15-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 918 Posts

A big old yes to all your points above. Yes Liam did talk a lot over this latest Vid, but imo he's still not as bloody annoying as After show, especially when she keeps stopping the flaming action.

Oh and If I hear her natter on about "Oh Vampire diaries did that" I'm gonna scream. If she thinks VD is on par with the writing on Buffy, well then that tells you a lot about her mindset.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,804 Posts

ASR reminded me of just how freaking great "Release" is. Dare I say, probably the most effective cliffhanger of any episode on either show that wasn't presumed going in by being a 2 parter. They buried the shock of "Surprise" by saving it for next episode. "Sleeper" might be closer.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 1,261 Posts

vampmogs:
    I did have that slight feeling again that there's things about the show that just don't click with him as he couldn't work out why Buffy staked Ford at the end which was really strange and he seemed so fixated on trying to figure out if Ford was actually a vampire - which I'd have thought was incredibly obvious - that it seemed to totally distract him from the beautiful dialogue in that scene between Buffy/Giles. Also, he's repeated in several reactions now that he's confused by the vampire siring rules and can't figure out why some people are turned and some are not. I find it very frustrating as a quick Google search or going back and rewatching "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and/or reading the transcript would clear this up for him instead of being confused in every episode.
    Ah, you don`t be too strict on him. I actually remember that I didn`t get the siring rules, when I first watched the show, although it was referred to in that very episode (vampires are picky...). I did not know that transcripts are published on the web back then and I sure did google it but I guess he doesn`t do it to avoid being flooded with spoilers.

I haven`t watched his reaction yet but I am looking Forward to it, because Lie To Me is one of my favorite epsiodes.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (15-03-19)

Thanks

I watched ASR, Liam and caught up with Geeked Out Nation (I didn't watch ASR's reaction to Release because I'm watching AtS on my own first).

I pretty much agree with everything vampmogs said about each. I still enjoyed their reactions a lot, though. I always love Liam's squealing over Willow and Oz, that's always delightful. It does break my heart because Wild at Heart is going to devastate him (it makes me sob like a baby each time so I can't even imagine how he'll feel), but hey, that's Joss Whedon, so he might take it in his stride. I did wonder if I would have enjoyed his reaction more if I saw the uncut version (I'm not his patron so I only see the edited versions) but yeah, the Mayor in the library is a great scene and if he talked less at those points he could just sit back and savour the great dialogue and iconic moments. I am really looking fwd to his response to the final episode, though, and then eventually to S4.

I wasn't surprised that ASR wasn't thrilled at an Andrew-centric episode, but I still loved her reaction to Storyteller. Can't wait for LMPTM. As for Geeked Out Nation, I really enjoy his reactions. But yes I think the show's universe is going to take some time to build on him. There are some things he says that puzzle me a bit though. Like in Prophecy Girl, right before Xander asks Buffy out, he comments on how it's weird that Buffy dresses in all these short miniskirts when the rest of the school kids don't. And I was genuinely flummoxed by that because to me, nothing about her outfit stood out as particularly inappropriate or suggestive, or out of the way for a high school student. I didn't see this huge contrast either, I mean there were other students milling about in shorts too. I didn't agree with him that Buffy was 'dressing for guy attention'. That just struck me as a bit odd. He commented something similar about Willow's Halloween outfit too - that it was a bit too much and she could have chosen a happy medium behind the Casper ghost outfit and the midriff baring one which he felt was 'too much'. (I'm paraphrasing I can't recall his exact words.) Those kinda comments confuse me a bit, but other than that I do really enjoy his reactions and I think he's enjoying the show. I do agree with vampmogs about talking over the stunning dialogue in Lie to Me - and it was obvious about Ford being a vampire. He'll probably catch on to the in-verse mythology/rules of the show soon enough, it may just take him a bit more time. But I like that he's an authentic, honest reactor.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-03-19),vampmogs (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,804 Posts

We're pretty much at the point with ASR that we get to learn what we all really want to know -- which way she's going to break on the last 5 or 6 episodes. It's been a hot minute, but those who were around will remember that beyond just debating the merits of those episodes, there was also a good chunk of the audience that was cleaved off the fandom entirely by them, that had stopped giving much of a damn by "Chosen" because they were so utterly turned off by 17-19.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    ASR reminded me of just how freaking great "Release" is.
    Me too. Season 4 has really taken a beating for me of late as the first 9 or so episodes left me feeling very underwhelmed and I had a hard time remembering why I used to enjoy the season so much. But the Faith arc has definitely rejuvenated my appreciation for Season 4. It's also reminded me why, at the time, I was thinking "Angel" was kind of demolishing "Buffy" when the shows were airing side-by-side throughout Season 7/Season 4. Watching "Release" and then watching "Storyteller" was... something. Everything about "Release" (the cinematography, action, writing, acting) made "Storyteller" look like amateur fare. It's hard not to feel that whilst "Angel" was starting to chew into some really meaty storylines that "Buffy" was just limping to the finish line at this point. But in all fairness, there's not much of a comparison between an Andrew-centric episode and a Faith-centric episode. Especially a Faith VS Angelus centric-episode at that.

As for the remainder of Season 7, I think ASH will be outraged by the Scoobies but I don't see it ruining the rest of the series for her the way it did a lot of fans. My prediction (especially based on some of her reaction to the Wood/Spike scenes in "Storyteller") is that she'll be 100% on Spike's side in LMPTM and despise Wood and then enjoy the remainder of the season because Spike's set up as the "only person watching Buffy's back" and since that's where her main emotional investment in the series is she won't much care that the rest of the characters are thrown under the bus. I do think it may make her personally dislike a lot of the characters (Giles, Xander, Dawn, Anya, and maybe even Willow) for the rest of the show, though. We'll see. Maybe she'll surprise me. I am intrigued to see her reaction to "LMPTM" though as I want to see how she copes with Giles as she's always been a big Giles lover.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (16-03-19)

Thanks

He'll apparently post his thoughts on S3 over the weekend I think, but here's the reaction to Graduation Day 2:

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19),vampmogs (16-03-19)

Thanks

vampmogs:
    Geeked Out Nation has released "Lie to Me" too. He loved the episode and said he believes it was the best episode of the series so far. I did have that slight feeling again that there's things about the show that just don't click with him as he couldn't work out why Buffy staked Ford at the end which was really strange and he seemed so fixated on trying to figure out if Ford was actually a vampire - which I'd have thought was incredibly obvious - that it seemed to totally distract him from the beautiful dialogue in that scene between Buffy/Giles. Also, he's repeated in several reactions now that he's confused by the vampire siring rules and can't figure out why some people are turned and some are not. I find it very frustrating as a quick Google search or going back and rewatching "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and/or reading the transcript would clear this up for him instead of being confused in every episode. I'm also sure someone has explained it to him in the comments now too. But otherwise a nice reaction and he loved it.
    I`ve just watched his reaction. It`s true,he cut out the most beautiful scene of the whole episode, the one with Giles and Buffy at the very end. But he explained in the comments that he did not talk over that scene and cut it out because he feared he might get blocked. Apparently the more content you have without talking over it the more likely you are to be flagged for copyright infingement. He said it was a great scene, though.

It was a bit weird that he kept repeating "Buffy killed Ford, Buffy killed Ford", when she was just staking him. But I do think, he understood that Ford was a vampire. He did not understand though, why Spike turned him instead of just killing him.

flow

- - - Updated - - -
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    It was a bit weird that he kept repeating "Buffy killed Ford, Buffy killed Ford", when she was just staking him. But I do think, he understood that Ford was a vampire. He did not understand though, why Spike turned him instead of just killing him.
    I was actually pretty surprised by the comments section for this episode as everyone seemed to unanimously agree that Spike turned Ford as a way of spitefully offering him up to the Slayer (a 'be careful for what you wish for' thing). In all my time in fandom it's honestly an interpretation I have never seen before so to see it be such a popular take on that scene was genuinely surprising. I enjoyed that.

I always interpreted Spike and Dru siring Ford as a way of honouring their deal. Ford held up his end of the bargain and I felt that Spike would grudgingly accept that, especially in the face of his own screw ups and how he had let Buffy slip from his grasp when Ford had set her up on a platter for him. I did think that Spike probably gained some pleasure in siring the Slayer's friend knowing that it was undoubtedly hurt her in some way but it never occurred to me that Spike was really trying to stick it to *Ford* knowing that Buffy would be laying in wait to slay him. That's a great interpretation of their actions (I say "their" because we never know for sure if it was Spike, Dru or a minion who sired Ford) and it's persuaded me to interpret the episode differently - which I absolutely love. I love having my mind changed 21+ years into watching this show!
    Last edited by vampmogs; 19-03-19 at 10:37 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (19-03-19),Stoney (19-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,103 Times in 4,947 Posts

I think I'd always assumed it was both: to seemingly honour what he'd agreed to but greatly because that came alongside an awareness/amusement that Ford would probably just get staked right away as Buffy would be poised to check if he'd been sired. That it would be painful for her definitely could have been a sweetener to it as well, but not a key motivator I don't think. Whereas having openly shown he'd found Ford irritating when he approached him at the start, I think it was probably very deliberately done as a shallow honouring, fully expecting Ford would just get staked very quickly, if not immediately.

I totally agree that it's great how we can constantly find different perspectives inform our own interpretations even after discussing and watching the show for years. It's only been eight years since I first watched the show but I constantly feel like I'm still in the midst of my initial exploration of it!!
    Last edited by Stoney; 19-03-19 at 12:27 PM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (19-03-19),TimeTravellingBunny (19-03-19),vampmogs (19-03-19)

Thanks

I've just caught up on some earlier reactions by Geeked Out Nation and don't think I see eye to eye with him on many things related to the show...I'll probably continue watching for a little longer because his reactions are fun, but may have to stop if it gets too un-relatable. His commentary/ judgements about the clothing choices of the female characters just kind of weirds me out. I think Liam and AfterShowReacts, as well as van are probably my favourite reactors of all.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (19-03-19)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Heh, his comments on clothes don't bother me because I thought (and sometimes say) that all the time during the high school years. That Buffy would not be able to wear the things she does on the show. It wouldn't be allowed.

I was annoyed that he didn't get the Spike siring Ford thing and didn't get. I don't know what the confusion was.

But most of the time I like him and agree with him

33. The Following User Says Thank You to seekingoutfriday For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (19-03-19)

Thanks

I really like Introvert Reacts - here's her Angel reaction. She's seems such a sweetheart, and such a Bangel fan. Her little face just lights up when Angel takes his shirt off

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (19-03-19)

Thanks

vampmogs:
    was actually pretty surprised by the comments section for this episode as everyone seemed to unanimously agree that Spike turned Ford as a way of spitefully offering him up to the Slayer (a 'be careful for what you wish for' thing). In all my time in fandom it's honestly an interpretation I have never seen before so to see it be such a popular take on that scene was genuinely surprising. I enjoyed that.
    I missed that in the comment section, but I agree that it is a convincing explanation, why Ford was actually sired instead of just killed. I always considered that as a kind of a plot hole because Spike didn`t like Ford at all and there was no reason for him to honor their deal when he did not get to kill Buffy after all. But if he knew or at least assumed that Buffy would either be waiting for Ford to rise or meet him sooner or later while patrolling it suddenly makes sense. I am sure Spike would have found it funny and regarded it as a kind of payback if Buffy had to stake her High School crush. Of course he wouldn`t know, she had a crush on Ford in High School but at least he knew they were schoolmates. Yeah, great catch!

Priceless:
    I really like Introvert Reacts - here's her Angel reaction. She's seems such a sweetheart, and such a Bangel fan. Her little face just lights up when Angel takes his shirt off
    I`m going to watch her as soon as she has arrived at School Hard ;-)

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-03-19)