Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Epic Spuffy fic list

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,044 Posts

Old Growth was already on my bookshelf. I've added only ever in dreams. I think it's time for me to stop adding recs and start reading!
    ď

I like who I am when Iím with him. I like who we are together.Ē

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (28-06-19),TriBel (19-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,095 Times in 4,390 Posts

Persistence of Memory by Cindergal - enjoyed the setting and story of this one, and Angel is written positively

https://www.livejournal.com/tools/me...on)&filter=all

Thanks

Really enjoyed Possession by icemink (AU – Spike loses a poker game and finds himself as a sex slave purchased by Buffy the Slayer). The description doesn't do it justice at all. The ending feels a bit rushed, but I enjoyed the story and the characters were written really well.

- - - Updated - - -

I read this in one sitting, it was that good, I couldn't put it down, Payers to Broken Stone by Devil Piglet. Post NRA Buffy and Dawn find Spike, but he doesn't love them anymore.

http://www.allaboutspike.com/fic.html?id=824

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-07-19),thenewbuzwuzz (25-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,806 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I read this in one sitting, it was that good, I couldn't put it down, Payers to Broken Stone by Devil Piglet. Post NRA Buffy and Dawn find Spike, but he doesn't love them anymore.

I've read one Devil Piglet story, Roundabout, that was dark but very good. This sounds as if it's heavy angst and probably I'd have to be in the right mood for it???

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-07-19),SpuffyGlitz (20-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I've read one Devil Piglet story, Roundabout, that was dark but very good. This sounds as if it's heavy angst and probably I'd have to be in the right mood for it???
    I didn't think it was particularly angsty, though there is definite angst It does have a happy ending, and the writing is very good. I loved these characterisations and even Angel was compelling. It's good to know Devil Piglet wrote more, I'll have to add her to the list of writers I need to read more of

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-07-19),TriBel (19-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,195 Posts

I didn't think it was particularly angsty, though there is definite angst
    This is the second fic in a row that's made me wish for anti-depressants.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    This is the second fic in a row that's made me wish for anti-depressants.
    No! Seriously? I thought it was beautiful, and sad, but with a happy ending, which is the perfect fanfic imo. You lot are just hard to please

Thanks
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 831 Posts

Ooh, I'm intrigued by the the title's reference to TS Eliot! I'm guessing Spike is in a depressed state? Maybe it's a mood piece?
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 20-07-19 at 12:14 AM.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    Ooh, I'm intrigued by the the title's reference to The Hollow Men! I'm guessing Spike is in a depressed state? Maybe it's a mood piece?
    Spike is a little depressed and quite angry. But don't let that put you off. He also owns a dog!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-07-19),TriBel (20-07-19)

Thanks

He also owns a dog!
    I read it. And the dog doesn't help cos my ex rang up while I was reading it to say he'd had to have his put down!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 831 Posts

I already like the beginning. Thanks so much for the rec! I've never heard of Devil Piglet but they seem great!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, sorry to hear that TriBel. When my kitty fell seriously ill, I was depressed for months over her passing

- - - Updated - - -

Did you like the fic though, TriBel?

- - - Updated - - -

Spike is a little depressed and quite angry. But don't let that put you off. He also owns a dog!
    OK I've read more....wow, Buffy really suffers in this! I think this might just depress me a bit...it's well written but so harsh..maybe I'll revisit it at a later point!
    buffylover made this stunning banner

Thanks

Did you like the fic though, TriBel?
    I thought it was really well written but, on top of the one about Buffy growing old...well...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I read it. And the dog doesn't help cos my ex rang up while I was reading it to say he'd had to have his put down!
    Oh no, I am sorry.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (20-07-19)

Thanks

Oh no, I am sorry.
    Thanks but don't be. She was fifteen and hadn't had a day's illness in her life. It's hit him hard because she was the last connection he had to the past; they absolutely doted on each other and he's doing the usual thing of "did I make the right decision?". Shit...even my middle son feels sorry for him and there's usually no love lost there! I offered to pay the vet's fees and I don't particularly like him that much! Dogs huh....

As regards fan-fic, I dunno - I enjoyed the Barbverse so perhaps that spoiled me. This and the Autumn one were incredibly well-written but, despite the happy ending here, both depressed the hell out of me (while admitting it could simply be me). I'm having problems finding a middle ground. I've gone off PWOP (which is why these should have appealed). I've tried the Lucifer fan-fiction but Luci on paper often lacks the subtlety of Luci on screen. It's interesting how the severity of Spike can be alleviated with reference to a head-tilt or his cynicism conveyed by a raised eyebrow. Luci's temperament's conveyed through his silence and his eyes (Ellis is good at dewy eyes). The alternative is verbal explosion and CGI red-eyes. Luci's "devil face" isn't (I don't think) intended to convey sexual attractiveness - it's too "other" - too extreme - while Spike's game face can. We're accustomed to Spike being simultaneously man and monster. Until the end of S4, even Luci was having problems reconciling his face and his angel wings (like reconciling Angel/Angelus).

I've just re-read The Lines Get Blurred by slaymesoftly - she handles the difference quite well and I think this is a successful cross-over. In fact, it's what's to blame for my present obsession with Lucifer.
    Here for instance, "I’m not human,” he repeated, glaring at Spike again, but Spike just made a rude British gesture at him". Luci/eyes - Spike/body. And here - Lucifer sees: "Lucifer toasted back, then asked, “And you? A master vampire, with a soul*—” Spike wasn’t surprised that the Devil could see his soul. “—and in love with a slayer. Not something you see everyday.”

Aargh...I could be talking bullshit. I hadn't intended to mention Lucifer but I find the compare/contrast and the meaning conveyed through the different bodies interesting. I dunno - I haven't read that much fanfic - and I've read nothing outside BtVS and Lucifer. I'm just wondering whether the body in BtVS is an authentic expression of self/pleasure/desire and in Lucifer it's inauthentic (which is why he has a therapist...why his gift is getting people to speak their desire - he has a therapist - he is a therapist - which makes me think about the demons that emerge from the confessional box in S4 Lucifer...I've seen catholic confession referred to as a missed opportunity for the talking cure). I'm rambling...perhaps Logos is the truth in Lucifer but not BtVS.

LOL! I don't know whether I've just excited myself with the thought there's a paper to be written on this - or depressed myself further with the same bloody thought!
    Last edited by TriBel; 20-07-19 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks

Thanks but don't be. She was fifteen and hadn't had a day's illness in her life. It's hit him hard because she was the last connection he had to the past; they absolutely doted on each other and he's doing the usual thing of "did I make the right decision?". Shit...even my middle son feels sorry for him and there's usually no love lost there! I offered to pay the vet's fees and I don't particularly like him that much! Dogs huh....
    I'm glad she was old and had a good life. I'm sure she knew she was loved and that's the important thing. I am sorry for you ex, as pets do become part of your family. He probably liked her more than he liked the kids sometimes

subtlety of Luci on screen
    This made me laugh. Lucifer and subtlety 'eh? 70% of why Spike works is because of the great writing, and 30% is JM (maybe 60/40 sometimes). Does Lucifer have great writers? I honestly don't know as I've not paid the show much attention. I can't really discuss Lucifer with you because I don't feel the same way, I don't watch the show and it doesn't seem that interesting to me.

I could be tempted by a crossover fanfic, as long as it was very well written, wasn't slashfic and didn't have Lucifer/Buffy. Or only had Lucifer/Buffy if Spike was thought gone and never coming back

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-07-19),TriBel (20-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,748 Posts

Pricey: You should read ... and heaven too by pprfaith on ao3. Itís a Lucifer/Buffy crossover, short and with only a side mention about a long past one night stand between Luci and Buffy. They are just friends.

Of course you should also start watching the show. It will probably take two or three episodes but I promise you will be hooked.

flow

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: Lucifer is probably 60% Tom Ellis and 40% good writing.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-07-19),TriBel (20-07-19)

Thanks

But...it's not this writing I was discussing...it was the fan-fic! I just got carried away. What I was going to suggest is we had a thread on what worked in fan-fic (to offset the "what I don't like in fanfic thread").

This made me laugh. Lucifer and subtlety 'eh? 70% of why Spike works is because of the great writing, and 30% is JM (maybe 60/40 sometimes). Does Lucifer have great writers?
    Lucifer the character's not - on the surface - subtle but Ellis can play him with subtlety. Would I be attracted to either Spike or Lucifer without good writing? Probably but the attraction wouldn't be sustained. I think the pair of them are both "dickish" and, without the writing, they probably wouldn't transcend the "bad boy made good" trope. They'd be one-dimensional. It's possibly why I don't particularly like PWOP fan-fic.

I don't know enough about the writers. Is the writing great? Depends. The source (of course) is Gaiman's The Sandman but it's a very loose adaption (though not quite as loose as people seem to suggest. There are "Easter Eggs" - I hate that phrase). It's generally accepted that The Sandman's one of the greatest comic book series/graphic novels ever written. Purists would say Lucifer doesn't do its pedigree justice. They're probably right but it doesn't make Lucifer bad. Here's a random example (just copied from IMDB).

Lucifer Morningstar: [barges into Linda's office] This is all your fault. You and your epiphanies. Turns out self-help is actually self-harm.
    Linda Martin: Hey, Lucifer, it's okay to be afraid. That means we're making progress.
    Lucifer Morningstar: Oh, we're making progress in precisely the wrong direction!
    [angrily pulls off the glove he's wearing to reveal his devil hand]
    Linda Martin: Oh, Lucifer! What's happening to you?
    Lucifer Morningstar: Exactly what I'd like to find out and quickly because I can't walk around like O.J. bloody Simpson forever!

This is all your fault - LOL! Isn't that a line Spike uses? It's displacement and denial.
    Epiphanies - this is a season that's potentially apocalyptic. Epiphany then has biblical overtones (though everything in Lucifer has biblical overtones).
    self-help is actually self-harm - there's a massive philosophical argument embedded in this comment. What is the self? Is self-identity possible? Do we lose something of our true self (possibly a contradiction in terms) when we adopt a self or when a self is forced on us?
    we're making progress in precisely the wrong direction! I love the logic of this - particularly in a season with Eve. Can we move forwards by going backwards? I'd argue this is what S7 BtVS does. Isn't it the logic of therapy? Again - there's a massive philosophical argument here.
    O.J.Simpson. Guilt - is Lucifer "going bad" because he feels guilty about something that happened earlier?

Same episode:

Lucifer: I can't go downstairs, detective. Between my sunglasses, scarf and gloves, I'll look like Stevie Wonder on a snow day.
    Chloe: Don't worry. I got you covered.

a) I think this is funny. b) again, they're incredibly over-coded, multi-layered sentences.

Downstairs (Heaven/Hell dichotomy. Lux has an elevator in the same way Revello has stairs. It has Hell "beneath you" but I think the spatial relationship is more complex than BtVS);
    She provides him with a devil mask - an ornate devil mask, an artifice, that masks his real devil face, which might or might not be real because it might be an unconscious manifestation - his exterior reflecting his interior turmoil...do any of them reflect the real Lucifer? Don't forget this is LA where very little is real. This is an episode where hybridity and suitable names for a hybrid have already been discussed. It's a season that's already had an episode on racial discrimination; racial profiling; the double consciousness of black folk and the internalization of white constructions of the black-man etc. It's actually very good on gender/sex/racial politics.
    Stevie Wonder - not just colour but self and other blindness. An impossibility of seeing plus a refusal to see.
    I like the juxtaposition of snow/devil/hell (when hell freezes etc. As Lucifer says - he can arrange that)

I could go on but yeah...I think the writing's clever.

I'm also aware that this is total digression. I also think "what we like in fan-fic" would make a good thread. Why do people like poetry for instance? Do people like crossover fics?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (20-07-19),Priceless (20-07-19)

Thanks

I am sure we have a 'what I like in fan fic' thread, but I think people prefer to moan rather than praise

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...ead-in-fanfics

- - - Updated - - -

Pricey: You should read ... and heaven too by pprfaith on ao3. It’s a Lucifer/Buffy crossover, short and with only a side mention about a long past one night stand between Luci and Buffy. They are just friends.
    Even Buffy calls Chloe 'detective' Nicely written. You should start a list of Lucifer fics, or maybe a crossover thread.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (20-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,748 Posts

TriBel:
    I've tried the Lucifer fan-fiction but Luci on paper often lacks the subtlety of Luci on screen. It's interesting how the severity of Spike can be alleviated with reference to a head-tilt or his cynicism conveyed by a raised eyebrow. Luci's temperament's conveyed through his silence and his eyes (Ellis is good at dewy eyes). The alternative is verbal explosion and CGI red-eyes.
    I have tried about half a dozen of Lucifer fanfics in the last couple of weeks. It's still a small number compared to the huge amount of Spuffy fanfic I have read so far. But I agree with you. It does not hit the mark. It does not convey the feeling of the show. it just doesn't get to me. At all. Spuffy fanfic can make my heart break. Lucifer fanfic is just letters on the screen of my laptop. Lucifer's characterization is usually a bit Spike-ish which is absolutely not him.

I have read no other pairings in BtVS and I have rarely ever read any other fandoms fanfic. There were maybe two or three Harry Potter fics and ages ago a couple of Outlander fics (and geez those were awful!). None of them ever drew me in and got me hooked like Spuffy fanfiction does.

And that makes me wonder if there is something special about Spuffy fanfic. Is the writing so much better than in any other fandom's fanfic? Or am I just blindsided?

TriBel:
    I've just re-read The Lines Get Blurred by slaymesoftly - she handles the difference quite well and I think this is a successful cross-over. In fact, it's what's to blame for my present obsession with Lucifer.
    Did you start watching the show because of slaymesoftly's fic? If so, you should tell her, she would love to hear that.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks

I would recommend Sad Song In His Heart by Angearia It's short but very sweet.

http://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/vi....php?sid=34640