Thread: What is a spoiler?

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Default What is a spoiler?

I understand the term as it is normally used - donít spoil it for someone who hasnít seen the show yet, give them a day or a week to catch up before discussing new stuff.

I donít get how it is used for a show aired decades ago. People have obviously had a chance to catch up, so nothing is a spoiler. ~OR~ People may be watching for the first time, so everything is a spoiler.

Iíve been scanning the forum, trying to get an idea of what is and isnít a spoiler. There isnít any obvious (to me, at least) rhyme or reason to it.

I donít get it.

Help, please.

Library Researcher Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Cotlac, welcome to the forum!

I think spoilers are (or maybe I should now say: WERE...) basically only used in regards to the comics, which not everybody reads right away as they come out. I don't think anything regarding the actual show is ever spoiler tagged.

In addition, spoiler tags are sometimes used in a similar way as "cuts" on LJ, simply to hide big images or long posts, to make the forum threads easier to read.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Cotlac (24-09-18),MikeB (26-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cotlac View Post
    I understand the term as it is normally used - don’t spoil it for someone who hasn’t seen the show yet, give them a day or a week to catch up before discussing new stuff.

I don’t get how it is used for a show aired decades ago. People have obviously had a chance to catch up, so nothing is a spoiler. ~OR~ People may be watching for the first time, so everything is a spoiler.

I’ve been scanning the forum, trying to get an idea of what is and isn’t a spoiler. There isn’t any obvious (to me, at least) rhyme or reason to it.

I don’t get it.

Help, please.
    "People had the chance to catch up" is no excuse. People are in no obligation to catch up on any show in any specific deadline. People don't have the time to watch everything that's out there, not even everything they're interested in, and sometimes you haven't had the time to get to some show, maybe you intend to watch it later. It doesn't matter. It's a matter of politeness and decency to be careful and not spoil things for people.

Now, if you're talking about this forum - anything from Buffy and Angel is not a spoiler here, since it's assumed everyone has seen the shows. I think that, as far as comics go, things that happen in them are spoilers outside of the comics subsection. New issues of comics are under spoiler tags for some period of time, except in the thread devoted to them (and there, it's a spoiler if the issue hasn't yet been released).

For anything else, any other show - if it's mentioned in general discussion, we should put spoiler tags and not randomly spoil various shows. For instance, in the general TV topic, everything is in spoiler tags. You don't have to put them only if you're talking about a show in a topic that's specifically about that show (say, talking about Agents of SHIELD in the Agents of SHIELD topic).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

MikeB (26-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,791 Posts

Welcome Cotlac

I've nothing to add to what others have said about spoilers, I just wanted to say hi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Cotlac (24-09-18),Stoney (24-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,360 Times in 1,138 Posts

I believe there are no real rules beyond the part where you have to spoiler stuff that just aired/was just released. Otherwise you'll have to decide for yourself if it's okay to leave the spoiler tags. If you are in a thread where somebody is catching up and they are in season four, it's not cool to just blab about a big twist that happens in season five. But otherwise, I wouldn't use those tags either. People who start a show years after it was aired, know they have to stay away from the internet or accept that they can be spoiled.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Cotlac (24-09-18),Silver1 (24-09-18),Stoney (24-09-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

OK, so common sense. If someone announces that they are halfway through Season 2, you’re not going to mention what is coming, but as far as normal discussion goes, we assume everyone has seen the show.

This makes total sense to me.

I don’t read the Buffy comic books, so no chance of me spoiling anything comic book-wise except maybe Betty & Veronica, circa 1976.

Thank you!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotlac For This Useful Post:

Priceless (25-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 600 Posts

I think, when you're on a site like this, spoilers aren't going to be as big of an issue. Like Nina said, generally, if people are starting the show for the first time, they're going to stay away from sites like this, because they know there'll be spoilers everywhere. And if they DO come here, it's usually because they have a burning question that they need answered before they continue with the show, so they'll announce that when they ask whatever questions they have, so we can use our heads and answer them as spoiler-free as possible.

Like you said, common sense is pretty much the name of the game, but it's not really an issue here. I don't think we have anyone here who hasn't seen the whole show at least five times over, lmao.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks

All caught up.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I consider spoilers necessary for anything in the BtVS S8-and-after comics that's posted outside of the comics section.

I don't consider anything from The Origin , Tales of the Slayers , Tales of the Vampires , and Fray need spoiler-tags because all of those are considered part of the 'TV Buffyverse'. And Spike & Dru : "Paint the Town Red" and Ring of Fire used to also be part of the 'TV Buffyverse' but nowadays both's 'canon-status' is murky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    I don't think we have anyone here who hasn't seen the whole show at least five times over, lmao.
    I don't know if you are being hyperbolic, but I remember only doing 2 complete 'run throughs' of BtVS and AtS and the last one was before President Barack Obama won the 2008 A.D. United States Presidential Election.

Some posters here don't remember some basic things about certain episodes.