Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    No.

1. It depends on the text. The queer/sexual reading of a vampire myth has been largely dominant since Le Fanu's Carmilla but that's not the only reading. Like Saturn devouring his sons, vampires can also symbolize the idea of the old feeding on the young, by, say, hoarding resources or sending the youth to fight in their endless wars. Obviously, it's not a surprise that Hollywood defaults to the sexual vampire tropes. If want something with such a take on vampires start with this classic.

2. It's 21st century, you don't need vampires to queer the text, you can just make it queer. For example, you could #makebuffybi We don't need subtext or metaphors, we're not bloody Victorians, no?
    You'll notice I put "queered" in inverted commas. I wouldn't have used the term if I meant homosexual. Two of my sons are gay - as is my brother. Anyone who refers to them as queer is probably asking for a smack.

Queering is the verb form of the word queer and comes from the shortened version of the phrase queer reading. It is a technique that came out of queer theory in the late 1980s through the 1990s and is used as a way to challenge heteronormativity by analyzing places in a text that utilize heterosexuality or identity binaries. Queering is a method that can be applied to literature as well as film to look for places where things such as gender, sexuality, masculinity, and femininity can be challenged and questioned. Originally the method of queering dealt more strictly with gender and sexuality, but quickly expanded to become more of an umbrella term for addressing identity as well as a range of systems of oppression and identity politics.

3. Spuffy is not queer, it's a vanilla-ass, heterosexual YA cliche-parade. Like, stop, OK?
    The definition above kinda annuls this - except for the "cliche-parade", which I (obviously) disagree with. Your use of the word metaphor differs from mine.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (07-12-18),Priceless (08-12-18),Silver1 (07-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-12-18),Stoney (07-12-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 507 Posts

You'll notice I put "queered" in inverted commas. I wouldn't have used the term if I meant homosexual. Two of my sons are gay - as is my brother. Anyone who refers to them as queer is probably asking for a smack.

Queering is the verb form of the word queer and comes from the shortened version of the phrase queer reading. It is a technique that came out of queer theory in the late 1980s through the 1990s and is used as a way to challenge heteronormativity by analyzing places in a text that utilize heterosexuality or identity binaries. Queering is a method that can be applied to literature as well as film to look for places where things such as gender, sexuality, masculinity, and femininity can be challenged and questioned. Originally the method of queering dealt more strictly with gender and sexuality, but quickly expanded to become more of an umbrella term for addressing identity as well as a range of systems of oppression and identity politics.
    This is bullshit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    This is bullshit
    Whatever. It's from Wikipedia (I didn't have the time to type it in my own words): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queering

Queer Theory's overarching goal is to be sought out as a lens or tool to deconstruct the existing monolithic ideals of social norms and taxonomies; as well as, how these norms came into being and why. The view is that these notions and norms are rigid organizing categories that do not sufficiently explain different attitudes, behaviors, or conditions of individual experiences. In addition, it analyzes the correlation between power distribution and identification while understanding the multifarious facets of oppression and privilege. Feminist and Queer Theory are seen as applicable concepts that provide a framework to explore these issues rather than as an identity to those in the community. Queer is an umbrella term for those not only deemed sexually deviant, but also used to describe those who feel marginalized as a result of standard social practices. It is a “site of permanent becoming” (Giffney, 2004).[9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_theory

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (07-12-18),Priceless (08-12-18),Silver1 (07-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,036 Posts

a Thing of evil:
    This is bullshit
    This is pathetic.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-12-18),TriBel (08-12-18)

Thanks

At what point does this cover stuff become a farce? For #3 https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...variant-cover/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (08-12-18),BAF (08-12-18),Stoney (08-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    At what point does this cover stuff become a farce? For #3 https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...variant-cover/
    About 4 covers back. We're in uncharted hyper-farce territory now.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Alce (08-12-18),GoSpuffy (08-12-18),Priceless (08-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-12-18),Stoney (08-12-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Vampire Vikings - that's pretty cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 2,906 Posts

3. Spuffy is not queer, it's a vanilla-ass, heterosexual YA cliche-parade. Like, stop, OK?
    What show were you watching? Spuffy absolutely transcends the cliche.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    Why is she wearing a dress? This gender stereotyping is just old fashioned. I know it's set in the 900's (?) but surely no Slayer stuck to long dresses when actually fighting.

I don't like the are either. But I think I'm just getting a bit jaded when faced with all these 'covers'. It's just a money-making scheme and it's taking the piss out of the fans. Boom Studios are going down in my estimation.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Why is she wearing a dress? This gender stereotyping is just old fashioned. I know it's set in the 900's (?) but surely no Slayer stuck to long dresses when actually fighting.
    Same reason why she's wearing summer clothes in winter (especially no hat of any kind?!) or why vampings are wearing ring mail(or scale mail) close to skin in winter or why dead vamp haven't turned to dust. Because this picture isn't supposed to have any sense at all, it was made to just look "cool".

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-12-18),Silver1 (08-12-18),TriBel (08-12-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Spuffy absolutely transcends the cliche.

No.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 2,906 Posts

a thing of evil could you tell me where you got this from? It's quite hard to read in this format.

This is not an urban fantasy story. Buffy is not a police officer, even in Season 12, she is only in training, and her relationship with Spike is essentially non-romantic by S12. Neither Spike nor Buffy were police officers when their relationship began.

Spike was never the hero of this show, Buffy was. Show me another YA romance that has a sexual partner attempt rape on the main character, and then have her tell him she loves him a year later. I won't say it never happens, because I'm very old and don't read YA novel, but I doubt it's happened a lot.

Spike does change, but he and Buffy don't come back to live happily ever after, as evidenced by Season 12.

I don't understand what a Lot Of Overused YA Fiction Tropes mean, so I can't answer them all, but firstly there is no Love Triangle. Buffy isn't an orphan, she has a father and a father figure. Angel was 'bad boy mchunky', not Spike, same with love interest described as brooding or smoldering.

Oh I see it now - you're talking about Buffy and Angel, because pretty much everything you've stated could be about them. I Let Out A Breath I Didn't Know I Was Holding is obviously When I Kiss You I Want To Die . . . everything on that checklist seems to characterise the Bangel romance rather than the adult Spike/Buffy relationship.

Ha many family members to take care of - nope, only Dawn.

I'll give you 'in dire financial straits'. But in no way could you say Buffy lacked confidence or was insecure about herself, she is confident especially about her slayer abilities, and her leadership and decision making skills, so much so that by S7 she's telling her father figure she doesn't need him anymore.

Her job is usually low key . . . she may even hold a job in the heros company. Are you serious? Buffy Summers is the bloody hero, and this is sexist bs. These might be the cliches of YA romance, but bear very little resemblance to BtVS. And the 'alpha-hole' isn't there to catch her, on the contrary Buffy would say it was the opposite.

Buffy doesn't make Spike a good person. The chip has a profound affect on him and allows him to interact with humans, form bonds and learn from them. I think the chip has as much affect as Buffy. He gets a soul because he wants to be different, because living how he is doing is becoming too difficult. I'd agree his feelings for Buffy play a part in that, but she's ended it with him and sent him away in no uncertain terms. Once he has a soul, he understands why they shouldn't be together.

If anything, it's the site of Buffy that makes Angel take the path of goodness, so this would once again fit the Bangel romance. The Depressed Supernatural Bad Boy is Angel down to a t. Spike isn't depressed, it's Angel that broods and sits in dark rooms and contemplates. This is all Angel, not Spike. Even when he got his soul, he wasn't depressed, he was crazy. Men Who Are Hundreds Of Years Old Falling For Younger Women, I'll give you this one, but once again, it's more about Angel than Spike.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (08-12-18),Silver1 (08-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-12-18),TriBel (08-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,006 Posts

Perhaps it's better to start a new thread about the Spuffy topic and keep this thread for the new comic covers.

Also, let's keep the discussion respectful and not call other members' differing opinions "bullshit."
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (Yesterday),flow (08-12-18),Priceless (08-12-18),SpuffyGlitz (08-12-18),TriBel (08-12-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

could you tell me where you got this from?
    I don't know, I just googled supernatural romance cliches, YA cliches etc took a bunch of screenshots and threw it all together in like 5 minutes \_(ツ)_/

Perhaps it's better to start a new thread about the Spuffy topic and keep this thread for the new comic covers.
    Yeah.