Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 2,667 Posts

Ooh that’s a great cover. I like that. I must say I like the BOOM “Buffy” covers much more than the Darkhorse ones.

IMO it’s definitely Darla behind Xander on the left hand side. It looks taken right out of a screen cap of Season 1 (the same shot used of Darla in the Season 1 & 2 opening credits). Not sure if that means Darla appears or rather just that the artist used her likeness as an inspiration.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 09-01-19 at 08:47 PM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Sosa lola (12-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (10-01-19),Stoney (10-01-19),TriBel (09-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,007 Times in 1,071 Posts

https://www.newsarama.com/43437-buff...ic-slayer.html

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot Introduces 'Historic' Slayer

By Newsarama Staff
    January 11, 2019

Press Release

BOOM! Studios today unveiled a main cover for BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #4 by award-winning illustrator FeiFei Ruan (Descendants of the Crane, Jim Henson’s Storyteller: Giants) featuring the first appearance of a Slayer from ancient eighth-century China.This game-changing issue of the hotly anticipated series will debut in stores April 3, 2019, in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products. Catch the first appearance of a major character in Buffy’s life in this issue, as well as the life-altering turn of events that changes one character’s destiny forever.

The reimagining of Joss Whedon's groundbreaking series reaches the game-changing final chapter of the first arc as Buffy and the Scooby Gang (the name was Xander’s idea, he’s workshopping it, it probably won’t stick) delve deeper into the heart of Sunnydale’s underbelly—and make a shocking discovery about the true nature of the Hellmouth. There’s no turning back for anyone on Team Slayer in this absolutely mind-blowing issue that fans can’t afford to miss.

Welcome back to the Hellmouth, as Eisner Award-nominated writer Jordie Bellaire (Redlands) and Russ Manning Award-winning artist Dan Mora (Klaus, Saban’s Go Go Power Rangers), along with series creator and story consultant Joss Whedon (the visionary writer/director behind Firefly, Marvel’s The Avengers, and more), reimagine the groundbreaking pop culture phenomenon from the very beginning.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer premiered on the WB Network on March 10th, 1997. The Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated series, which ran for seven seasons from 1997-2003, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar as “Buffy Summers.” Chosen to battle vampires, demons and other forces of darkness, Buffy is aided by a Watcher who guides and teaches her as she surrounds herself with a circle of friends called the “Scooby Gang.”

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #4 features main covers by acclaimed Mondo illustrator Matthew Taylor and fan favorite artist Kevin Wada (She-Hulk).

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is the latest release from BOOM! Studios’ eponymous imprint, home to a world-class group of licensed comic book series and ambitious original series, including Joss Whedon’s Firefly, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Planet of the Apes, Abbott, Mech Cadet Yu, Grass Kings, and Klaus.

Print copies of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #4 will be available for sale on April 3, 2019 exclusively at local comic book shops (use comicshoplocator.com to find the nearest one) or at the BOOM! Studios webstore. Digital copies can be purchased from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and the BOOM! Studios app.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-01-19),DanSlayer (12-01-19),flow (11-01-19),MikeB (31-01-19),Priceless (16-01-19),Silver1 (12-01-19),TriBel (12-01-19)

Thanks

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-01-19),BAF (12-01-19),flow (12-01-19),MikeB (31-01-19),Priceless (16-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Ooh that’s a great cover. I like that. I must say I like the BOOM “Buffy” covers much more than the Darkhorse ones.
    Your crimes against Jo Chen must not stand.

IMO it’s definitely Darla behind Xander on the left hand side. It looks taken right out of a screen cap of Season 1 (the same shot used of Darla in the Season 1 & 2 opening credits). Not sure if that means Darla appears or rather just that the artist used her likeness as an inspiration.
    It's a great likeness and I'm never going to say no to a cover that rubs a little Badass Normal on Mr. Harris.

Banner by LRae12

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

flow (12-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I disappear for a couple of days and miss all the Xander goodness!!!

Also Xander as vlogger! Yes! Make use of his great play on words and enjoyable sarcasm.

Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-01-19),flow (12-01-19),Silver1 (12-01-19),Stoney (12-01-19),TriBel (12-01-19),vampmogs (12-01-19),Willow from Buffy (12-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Your crimes against Jo Chen must not stand
    Oh Chen was superb but that was so long ago now. I rarely liked a Darkhorse cover since her departure. They were all so bland and boring to me.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Skippcomet (14-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,830 Times in 5,310 Posts

I love those two Xander covers, both of them. The art of the new comics is definitely selling me on giving them a try which is why they are producing so many visuals to draw us in I'm sure. It still isn't going to get me to do anything until I can get hold of the trade though, there are limits to what I'm willing to pass over without knowing what the content is going to be like.

I liked plenty of the DH covers too, Steve Morris often did really interesting symbolic imagery. The Xander/Darla/vamp one above is more grungy art and I like the visual texture of that too, just in a really different way. Agreed Chen was superb.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Rihannon (12-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 668 Posts

- RGB polluted EXTREME™ gamer edition keyboard, headset and wireless (what a casual) mouse
    - Red Bull and Cheetos gamer fuel
    - DOMINATOR™ gaming chair
    - "aesthetic" T-shirt
    - LIVE
    - ...It's ya boi Alex! emanating from the picture

Yup, he's a twitch streamer! That's pretty cool, very now-ish. I like the classic slayer cover as well.

I liked plenty of the DH covers too, Steve Morris often did really interesting symbolic imagery.
    Same here. I think Morris and Chen were great. I loved David Mack's work - Wonderland has my favourite BtVS covers ever. I also liked Isaacs' variants a lot. Cover art is that one thing about DH run that I just can't complain about.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (13-01-19),Rihannon (12-01-19),Stoney (12-01-19),TriBel (12-01-19)

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Can anyone identify the poster in the background?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,007 Times in 1,071 Posts

Advance review for BOOM! Buffy # 1.

https://www.newsarama.com/43459-best...-slayer-1.html

Best Shots Advance Review: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #1 'a Perfect New Start' (9/10)

By Robert Reed, Newsarama Contributor January 14, 2019

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1
    Written by Jordie Bellaire
    Art by Dan Mora and Raúl Angulo
    Letters by Ed Dukeshire
    Published by BOOM! Studios
    Review by Robert Reed
    ‘Rama Rating: 9 out of 10

Buffy, Xander, Willow, and the denizens of Sunnydale are back - but not quite as we know them. While the previous series existed within the same continuity as the television show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 presents a fresh start in the modern era. Written by Jordie Bellaire with art by Dan Mora and Raúl Angulo, the debut honors the legacy while carving out its own mark.

From the opening lines, it becomes clear that this isn’t quite the Buffy readers know. She types on a computer for one. Jordie Bellaire captures the voice of Buffy Summers through the use of an electronic journal (rendered beautifully by letterer Ed Dukeshire). It’s a change that new readers might not be able to appreciate, bringing forth a stark contrast to the television show that had to adapt to there being a computer in every home.

It’s the smallness of the changes that allow Jordie Bellaire to ease readers into this new world. As Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 progresses, the world becomes simultaneously more familiar and more alien. Characters are introduced slowly and with distinct voices. Dan Mora’s artwork helps in this process, capturing the likenesses of Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, and Nicholas Brendon (and maybe a few more familiar faces). There’s always a concern with licensed comic books that the memorable live-action characters won’t quite blend with the other characters, but Mora has found a nice middle ground in the detail that makes them both recognizable and fully integrated in their world on the page.

The visual balance between the dialogue and artwork is really exceptional. A page in which Buffy receives a note in class is rendered completely without dialogue, which allows the reader full immersion in the moment. Mora also does well with the action sequences. It’s not much of a spoiler to say that vampires are slain in this book, and Mora crafts some entertaining combat that helps establish the Slayer concept. Raúl Angulo’s saturated colors provide a lot to the story, keeping the tone adventurous rather than dour, while also allowing for rich shadows in the artwork.

Bellaire, Mora, Angulo, and Dukeshire build this world beautifully, and neither die-hard Buffy fans nor curious new readers should feel alienated. In part because of the familiarity, the issue is able to avoid a lot of the expository woes that plague debut issues. Buffy fans may feel the issue starts too small – that sense of newness that exists in the periphery of the pages may create some anxiety that this wasn’t quite new enough to justify the jettisoning of prior continuities.

Ultimately, Jordie Bellaire and Dan Mora have found the right pace for this new adventure. Rather than rush through a Wikipedia section of “Differences from the Source Material,” Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 makes its mark by putting the characters first. Strong character moments make the book stand out, and that makes it the perfect new start.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (14-01-19),American Aurora (17-01-19),Priceless (16-01-19),Silver1 (15-01-19),Sosa lola (15-01-19),Stoney (14-01-19),TriBel (14-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

From the opening lines, it becomes clear that this isn’t quite the Buffy readers know. She types on a computer for one.Jordie Bellaire captures the voice of Buffy Summers through the use of an electronic journal (rendered beautifully by letterer Ed Dukeshire). It’s a change that new readers might not be able to appreciate, bringing forth a stark contrast to the television show that had to adapt to there being a computer in every home.
    I mean, I get the point, but she typed on the computer in the TV show too. Buffy's never been a computer-illiterate, even during the High-School seasons.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),Silver1 (15-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),Andrew S. (17-01-19),BAF (17-01-19),betta (17-01-19),DanSlayer (17-01-19),MikeB (31-01-19),Priceless (16-01-19),Silver1 (17-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-01-19),Stoney (16-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,830 Times in 5,310 Posts

Ugh, it's the start and scene setting so I'll not assume the worst, it might improve, but that's pretty awkward/clunky scripting they've got there.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Alce (17-01-19),American Aurora (17-01-19),betta (17-01-19),GoSpuffy (17-01-19),Silver1 (17-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (17-01-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I can't say I haven't expected that, so I shouldn't be disappointed, but ... yep, that's not a good sign at all.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),betta (17-01-19),Silver1 (17-01-19)

Thanks

Well, the art is really good, but we already knew that.

The idea of Xander as a vlogger sounds promising, I really hope they make the best of it.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rihannon For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),Silver1 (17-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 564 Posts

So far, it's pretty mundane.

Not only is the dialogue flat, but the mystery of the Slayer mythology (with Slayer dreams) that was there from the very start is completely missing. If this is how the comics start, it's a pretty lame opening.

Also conspicuously missing is the social dimension of the Buffyverse that dramatizes moral situations so that we understand why certain relationships develop. Introducing Xander and Willow outside of the social circles of Sunnydale High leaves their characters floating in mid-air - we can't judge them because we haven't got any context. You knew who Xander was from the moment he rode his skateboard to the high school and looked at Buffy longingly as he played the class clown. You knew who Willow was from the second we saw her frumpy clothes and hair and the way she deferred to Cordelia and looked at Xander longingly.

In this version, they're just good-looking, well-dressed kids eating at a fast food place who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Buffy doesn't get to know them before saving them or pulling them into her world - her first impression of them is "generic victim" and their first impression of her is "generic hero." This is really poor dramaturgy that fails to tell you why Buffy would choose them of all people to be her friends - and it places them in an awkward relationship to her from the start.

Willow and Xander were more defined in the first twelve seconds of "Welcome to the Hellmouth" than these three pages. The dialogue is strange - series Willow would NEVER say Cordelia-like phrases like "And, sorry, this would be the worst Superhero costume probably ever...You're weird - I like you." That's bitchy humor right out of a sitcom on the Disney channel and it doesn't fit Willow's personality at all. And why is everyone saying, "like" between sentences anyway? And Buffy's "Don't gotta tell it the way it is" line is just odd.

And what's up with Buffy's blue eyes? I saw that Spike has brown eyes in a pic - why bother making them look like the characters at all if the colorist is just going to ignore some of their most striking attributes? They also all look about twenty-five - is this supposed to be a post UC Sunnydale Alternate Universe?

I imagine that Dru and Spike will be introduced in a vacuum as well - unlike their original introduction which placed them well within the context of a group of vampires that only showed how different they were.

To be honest, it reads like a average superhero comic with the unusual Whedonesque turn of phrase reduced to generic "Valley Girl."

I'm curious - after reading so many raves for mediocre material, I'm wondering where these comic "critics" come from? Who are they? Are they shills for the corporates? Why do they always gush and rave over the most stillborn material?

Jeez, I see this series is produced by an entity known as "20th Century Fox Consumer Products." That's hilariously hideous!
    Last edited by American Aurora; 17-01-19 at 05:59 AM.

31. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

Alce (17-01-19),Andrew S. (17-01-19),betta (17-01-19),GoSpuffy (17-01-19),Klaus Kartoffel (17-01-19),Priceless (17-01-19),PuckRobin (18-01-19),Rihannon (19-01-19),Silver1 (17-01-19),Sosa lola (17-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (17-01-19),Stoney (17-01-19),Tiny Tabby (17-01-19),TriBel (17-01-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

It is basically average modern superhero comic. We even have typical bad guy here. "You should get a real man", could it be even more banal than that? Except that in this case it's even much worse as this is vampire and for him they both are food, so it makes very little sense for him to even say that. But, yep, screw any subtlety, lets smack reader with blatant "girl power" moment (by the way I don't know, but would any girl call herself "teenage girl" in real life? It sounds kind of odd.)

Xander and Willow. Willow is typical cool modern comic heroine, that could joke right after danger as if it's absolutely nothing. And Xander is kind of dumb. "Supervillain". Seriously? Both are very unrealistic.

I let myself to be fooled by good art for a moment, but now I've lost almost any hope for it to be any good.
    Last edited by Alce; 17-01-19 at 06:32 AM.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),betta (17-01-19),PuckRobin (18-01-19),Silver1 (17-01-19),SpuffyGlitz (17-01-19),Stoney (17-01-19),TriBel (17-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Man, you guys are so negative - I like it a lot, I think it's pretty great! It's like that anime Buffy series, just with a bit more bite, I think they nailed High School era atmosphere too - that's all I want, really. It's lively and it's fun and I'm gonna read the shit out of it!

You precious thing, you should get a real man who can protect you.
    Nope! I think a bored yet feisty teenage girl will do!
    There is no heterosexual explanation for this.

I'm curious - after reading so many raves for mediocre material, I'm wondering where these comic "critics" come from? Who are they? Are they shills for the corporates? Why do they always gush and rave over the most stillborn material?
    They're normal people. Not everybody is a hardcore fan, do I even have to explain that? You can't judge it by your standards, you're basically a BtVS maniac, even among the obsessed you're still the 1% global maximum.

But, yep, screw any subtlety, lets smack reader with blatant "girl power" moment

And Xander is kind of dumb.
    Well, yeah, still Xander.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),Andrew S. (17-01-19),MikeB (31-01-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 454 Posts

OMG, I'm actually impressed by this. Love the direction of the atmosphere so indie. The art is fantastic very illustrative the backgrounds is a big plus for me. The character seems to have a nice style to the modern age which I'm liking. This has huge potential I do see that the dialogues still needs some time to break the ice.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-01-19),American Aurora (17-01-19),MikeB (31-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Yay, I'm not the only person that likes it!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-01-19),buffylover (17-01-19),MikeB (31-01-19)