Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 533 Posts

Having re-read the Cordy write up, I think Spordelia *is* meant to happen after all. There's probably a reason Cordy calls Spike cute, I think they're going for a romance there.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (09-03-19),Priceless (09-03-19),TriBel (09-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,762 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    Having re-read the Cordy write up, I think Spordelia *is* meant to happen after all. There's probably a reason Cordy calls Spike cute, I think they're going for a romance there.
    Yeah, their meeting was so 'meet-cute' and the best thing in the comic, or the best written. I love them both and I think it could work, as long as they don't make Cordy too air-headish. Spike will love her confidence, not her stupidity . . . unless they want her to be the new Harmony?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (09-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 533 Posts

Oh, the same thing occurred to me! Cordy sounds way more like Harmony! (Harmony after getting vamped, I mean.) Especially in this write up. It's the generally vapid, sweet tone.

The earlier scene between Spike and Cordy wasn't like that...it was a well written "first meet" for this new version of Spike and Cordy. To be honest, I'm not here for Spordelia at all, lol, but then again - since I'm not seeing them as a continuation of canon Spike and Cordy, an AU romance between them would still be fun - that first scene definitely was well written and romantic.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,091 Times in 4,939 Posts

They could go many ways from that first meeting between Cordelia and Spike and I think have deliberately hinted both potentials of it being the start of something or not at all so. Cordelia found him a little suspicious and he was also somewhat sinister too lurking in the woods and was called on it. Then Spike coming away from it to describe the teenagers as 'simple and naive' to Dru/Anya just makes it clear that he was there for a reason. Sure he might also have been quite taken with Cordelia, but it seems he was observing and getting the lay of the land for some reason and bumping into her was incidental. If his comment is resulting from that meeting though, her easy going response and laughing off his creepy vibe was seen as gullible by him. So definitely there's potential for it resulting in being not so romantic at all. Anything could be on the cards from this point really.

The quality of the visuals/voicing against the original characters varies, but of course they can get away with lifting or changing to whatever degree they please as has been said. There is basically no way I'm going to like this more, but it is fun to see what they choose to change. I think they are just doing varying covers to keep us wondering what those switches might be. We've had a vamp Willow one too, but I take the point that could relate to Buffy's dream as well. Dropping one that is revealing a direction they'll take amongst them would make sense so Cordelia could get turned (dreadful cover though).
    Last edited by Stoney; 10-03-19 at 06:33 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (10-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,066 Posts

Anya sounds more like her S3 version which I prefer over the S4-S7 one. So, I'm very pleased with this Anya.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 595 Posts

Issue #3 comes out tomorrow, here's some reviews:
    monkeysfightingrobots
    youdontreadcomics
    fanbasepress

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (12-03-19),Double Dutchess (12-03-19),Priceless (12-03-19),TriBel (12-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,794 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Issue #3 comes out tomorrow, here's some reviews:
    monkeysfightingrobots
    youdontreadcomics
    fanbasepress
    Thanks thing of evil. I'm looking forward to this. A bit of a mixed bag:

Spoiler:
    The characters are so familiar but not the same, it creates a feeling of déjà vu that you just can’t shake.
    Second this.

the cliff-hanger to this issue has ominous signs scrawled all over it. I suspect that Jordie Bellaire is going to break some hearts with this series.
    Worried about this.

I think that Dan Mora continues to do some solid work. If I have one criticism of his likenesses, it definitely has to be about how his Buffy, Anya, and Harmony are, at times, indistinguishable
    Harmony! The point above's been made here but I also wonder if it was a point made in the original BtVS by having Spike involved with all three?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,091 Times in 4,939 Posts

It might be worth starting a new thread for the issue, marked as having spoilers so you don't have to tag your comments and pop the reviews on it too.

I've finally decided and ordered the hard copy trade out in June. I'm still going to read the threads/comments on the issues as I really don't care about being spoiled, but I'm going with that rather than digital.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,762 Times in 3,204 Posts

Well the reviews have spoilt Giles playing at the coffee shop, I'd have like to have been surprised by that. The reviews aren't particularly glowing, but I like hearing there's a cliff hanger. I'm wondering if Harmony and some of the other girls are Slayers, which is why 'she' was changed to 'they'.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (12-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    It might be worth starting a new thread for the issue, marked as having spoilers so you don't have to tag your comments and pop the reviews on it too.

I've finally decided and ordered the hard copy trade out in June. I'm still going to read the threads/comments on the issues as I really don't care about being spoiled, but I'm going with that rather than digital.
    I just opened a thread for issue 3.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...774#post744774

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (12-03-19),Stoney (12-03-19),TriBel (12-03-19)

Thanks

Why is it coming out so early? Wasn't last issue only 2 weeks ago?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fandango For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 595 Posts

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-03-19),Silver1 (16-03-19),TriBel (16-03-19)