Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

I just assumed this was after Buffy had beaten him up, there's the shadow next to him that could be Buffy, or maybe even Willow who's used magic to contain him.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Alce (15-05-19),TriBel (15-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alce View Post
    If anything I'd say he's turning to werewolf. I don't remember vampires having claws that could tear through sheet metal as if it's wet paper. Neither I remember transformation to vamp form being so visibly painful.
    Some fan-fic has them with claws (and the Master has them?). Dru has fingernails that can slit throats but I think that's probably a "feminine" trait. Spike's nails are very short - can't remember what they're like when he's vamped out. But yeah, does seem to be borrowing traits from elsewhere - be they true monsters or human demons. Werewolf works for me (I should probably rephrase that ). Weren't the first Boom vamps we saw more demonic than previous?

Perhaps it's something to do with embracing the demon within? Some feel power, some (perhaps) feel pain, some (like Lawson) feel nothing? IDK. Given that Xander seemed depressed before, perhaps he's still depressed after?

I'd quite like to see a wider variety of vamps. I get kinda p*ssed off with the accusation that Spike (for instance) is a Pound Shop Angel (he's not).

Priceless

I just assumed this was after Buffy had beaten him up, there's the shadow next to him that could be Buffy, or maybe even Willow who's used magic to contain him.
    Aw...come on mate...speculate a bit more...live dangerously...ditch the pragmatism (but don't become a vampire). It's so...British. You'll be telling me next that you queue.

Actually, I think you're right. Isn't there a bigger picture that shows him being approached by a figure with a stake?

I think I've reached the stage were I can't take anything seriously anymore.
    Last edited by TriBel; 15-05-19 at 09:54 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Alce (15-05-19),Priceless (15-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

They picked up the claws thing in the canon comics. Spike slashes through Andrew's shirt in one of the early season 10 comics, might even be the first issue. I don't think that was the only time they looked more clawed when vamped out in the comics either, but it's the time I remember it featuring more than just visually. It might have at other times too. So it is in canon more than just Dru slitting Kendra's throat with her nails (although obviously that's somewhat different, I don't think she was even vamped out when she did that).

I'd assumed the most obvious answers, that he was struggling to try to contain the desire to fight/feed or had just been beaten up. The visual claws isn't actually something I'm a fan of but there's no reason why it couldn't happen as a literal physical shift.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Alce (16-05-19),betta (15-05-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Given that Xander seemed depressed before, perhaps he's still depressed after?
    If he doesn't change then what's the point of it? Transforming to vampire supposed to free you from mortal connections and problems. At least mostly. This storyline is perfect set up for showing contrast between human Xander and vamp Xander. There's so much you can do with that. If in the end all that we'd get is the same Xander but with some supernatural abilities it would be a little disappointing.

Whatever It's mostly wishful thinking from my part anyway. I don't really believe that Jordie can make interesting and nuanced characters. I mean she took two very special and quite unique original characters Dru and Anya, had said she wanted to modernize them (Why? They were perfect.) and all that we'd got is two cardboard cutout "strong females" that are frankly indistinguishable from each other. It was only 4 issues, so I still may be wrong about her and I really want to be wrong on that. It's just as I see it now.
    Last edited by Alce; 15-05-19 at 10:54 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

betta (15-05-19),Priceless (15-05-19),Sosa lola (15-05-19),Stoney (15-05-19)

Graveyard Patrol Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post

Yes and yes!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-05-19),BAF (15-05-19),betta (15-05-19),Priceless (15-05-19),Silver1 (15-05-19),Sosa lola (15-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

Wow! . . . I think I must have seen this cover already and it's stayed in my mind, because I'm not usually right about these things. This is a great cover though.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-05-19),Stoney (16-05-19),TriBel (15-05-19),Willow from Buffy (15-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

More and more like "Edward Cullen":

Doll, similar shirt:

My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-05-19),flow (15-05-19),Priceless (15-05-19),Stoney (16-05-19),TriBel (15-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,520 Posts

Here I was sitting and thinking "he reminds me of someone but I can`t put my finger on it..." Thanks for sparing me a sleepless night :-)

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

betta (15-05-19),TriBel (15-05-19)

Thanks

Real. Vampires. Do. Not. Sparkle.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (15-05-19),flow (15-05-19),Priceless (15-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,901 Times in 1,841 Posts

Overrated: vampires don't sparkle
    Underrated: vampires aren't gd Kryptonians on the powerscale.

Banner by LRae12

Graveyard Patrol Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I love the Kevin Wada cover. It is a great look for soulless Angel - a sadistic boyband reject.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-05-19),Alce (16-05-19),flow (15-05-19),Priceless (16-05-19),thenewbuzwuzz (16-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,077 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Angel #3 Cover and Story Details Tease Showdown With Demon

BOOM! Studios presents the covers and story details for Angel #3, by Bryan Edward Hill and Gleb Melnikov, exclusively to CBR.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-angel-...story-details/

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-05-19),flow (20-05-19),Priceless (20-05-19),TriBel (20-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAF View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Angel #3 Cover and Story Details Tease Showdown With Demon

BOOM! Studios presents the covers and story details for Angel #3, by Bryan Edward Hill and Gleb Melnikov, exclusively to CBR.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-angel-...story-details/
    LOL! Bet that demon's Giles!

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 688 Posts

All New Slayers Make First Appearance in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1

Spoiler:
    BOOM! Studios has announced an oversized one-shot comic book BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1 that will debut on August 28, 2019, in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products.

Buffy Summers is the “Chosen One” who must defend Sunnydale from vampires, demons and those regular monsters called high schoolers…but she wasn’t the first. Now, discover the first full appearances of the Slayers from past eras first seen on special variants covers to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER in this landmark one-shot.

In 18th century California, a young woman discovers she’s the Chosen One and changes the course of Slayer history forever, in a new story from writer Mairghread Scott (Batgirl) and artist Ornella Savarese, that also reveals the hidden origins of the Hellmouth; the new Slayer first seen on the cover to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #2 comes to life in 14th century Italy from writer and artist Celia Lowenthal (Over The Garden Wall: Hollow Town), and more.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1 features a main cover by illustrator Evan Cagle, along with a variant cover by artist Helen Yoon featuring a Slayer from 16th century Marusthali, India and a cover by artist Alexa Sharpe (Rolled and Told).

“Buffy might be the Slayer you know best, but she’s not the only incredible woman to be a Chosen One—and you’re getting the first appearance of three new Slayers in this issue, as well as the never-before-seen origins of the Sunnydale Hellmouth!” said Jeanine Schaefer, Executive Editor, BOOM! Studios. “Mairghread, Ornella, Celia, and Alexa dig into the secret origins of these important characters from the past who’ll have a huge impact on Buffy’s future!”

Buffy The Vampire Slayer premiered on the WB Network on March 10th, 1997. The Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated series, which ran for seven seasons from 1997-2003, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar as “Buffy Summers.” Chosen to battle vampires, demons and other forces of darkness, Buffy is aided by a Watcher who guides and teaches her as she surrounds herself with a circle of friends called the “Scooby Gang.”

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is the newest release from BOOM! Studios’ eponymous imprint, home to critically acclaimed original series, including Once & Future by Kieron Gillen and Dan Mora; Faithless by Brian Azzarello and Maria Llovet; Abbott from Saladin Ahmed and Sami Kivelä; Bury The Lede from Gaby Dunn and Claire Roe; Grass Kings from Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins; and Klaus from Grant Morrison and Dan Mora. The imprint also publishes popular licensed properties including Joss Whedon’s Firefly from Greg Pak and Dan McDaid; Angel from Bryan Edward Hill and Gleb Melnikov; and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Ryan Parrott and Danielle Di Nicuolo.

Print copies of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: THE CHOSEN ONES #1 will be available for sale on August 28, 2019 exclusively at local comic book shops (use comicshoplocator.com to find the nearest one) or at the BOOM! Studios webstore. Digital copies can be purchased from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and the BOOM! Studios app.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (20-05-19),Willow from Buffy (21-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,106 Posts

Christ, talk about milking it!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 688 Posts

You make it sound like that's a bad thing?

Slayer
    Thanks

Imo If you rush too much out there too quickly the quality may suffer.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Yeah, but isn't this what various fans have said they wanted? Ever since Dark Horse had the license, there have been fans clamoring for some sort of ongoing exploration of Slayers past, present, and future who aren't Buffy, be it in comic form or as an ongoing TV project.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Skippcomet For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (21-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 752 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    Yeah, but isn't this what various fans have said they wanted? Ever since Dark Horse had the license, there have been fans clamoring for some sort of ongoing exploration of Slayers past, present, and future who aren't Buffy, be it in comic form or as an ongoing TV project.
    I think that was more in response to the idea of a revival/reboot/continuation. Expand the lore you have. Expanding reboot lore is kinda weird.

DH was actually pretty lax in their publishing, IMO. Especially all the stuff IDW turned out in less than half the time.

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    What fans want and what actually works can be two very different things.