Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,804 Posts

I an torn between a Lebowski-esque indignation (Well, they finally did it. They killed my f***ing car) and a trill of excitement that some substantive plot involvement for my dude is afoot.

By the by, I think people ate making big mistakes in assuming that there is a sense of manifest destiny by which this comic reboot kelvin thing is going to actually run parallel to the original run. That could come up in both characters and relationships (i.e. Rose may not be a placeholder for Tara or anyone else) and in terms of mythology/world-building (has any prior coverage or solicit every said anything about their being such a thing as souls for vampires, or the old demon-copy rules, etc? Could be that the nature of vampires might be written different on this pass, and why not? Who ever heard of Camazotz before? Would love if they made vampire morality the same mixed bag as humans, albeit skewed evil. Souls for vampires were a plot contrivance fit for 1997 when the existing vampire fiction of the moment was leaning much more heavily toward them being unreasoning monsters; the Anne Rice moment had kind of already faded.

Banner by LRae12

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (21-03-19),flow (21-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 3,212 Posts

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (21-03-19),BAF (21-03-19),KingofCretins (21-03-19),Silver1 (21-03-19),Sosa lola (21-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),Stoney (21-03-19),TriBel (21-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,032 Posts

I like the idea that it looks like Willow and Xander are being trained in fighting.It makes sense really.If they are joining the fight alongside the slayer,then it's not a bad idea for them to have some combat training.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (21-03-19),Priceless (21-03-19)

Thanks

I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I prefer Buffy does the fighting But yes, it is logical that they would all learn to fight, although it seems like Xander still gets beaten.

Does it seem to anyone else that Spike watching Buffy fight, and then is kissing Dru, but his hearts not in it and he's really thinking of Buffy . . . or am I being a Spuffy obsessive?

Cordy dreaming of Spike could be a hint at future Spordelia, or it could be lifted from the show, in which she had a crush on Angel, which he didn't reciprocate for another 5 years.

Nice to see Giles and Jenny, though she looks a bit too square to be Jenny, but very sweet.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (Yesterday),TriBel (21-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,805 Times in 1,580 Posts

Who ever heard of Camazotz before?
    a) Anyone with an interest in Mayan mythology and b) anyone who's read Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time

I think you're probably right about the soul.

1) Spike watching Buffy; 2) Spike watching Buffy 3) Spike looking out of frame at Buffy while he's with Dru. 4) Cordy daydreaming about Spike. Either last issue's misdirect wasn't a misdirect or it was a misdirect and they're continuing with it.

ETA

Priceless:
    Does it seem to anyone else that Spike watching Buffy fight, and then is kissing Dru, but his hearts not in it and he's really thinking of Buffy . . . or am I being a Spuffy obsessive?
    No.
    Last edited by TriBel; 21-03-19 at 08:07 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-03-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 598 Posts

This is so good!

Like, I can't even contain myself right now!

Giles/Jenny and Spike/Cordelia!
    Willow and Xander training with Buffy AND slaying together!
    Buffy dual-wielding swords!
    Willow starting to learn magic WITH Giles
    Spike and Dru being sexy!
    G-giles casting a spell?!

So awesome, like, they went full action movie montage (or whatever it's called!) Man, this series is basically everything I want out of a Buffy comic!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-03-19),TriBel (21-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,261 Posts

I don`t really know how I feel about those panels. I am sorry, but Buffy looks as if she is bored to hell during Xander`s and Willow`s training lesson. She almost looks angry. I can`t really find an explanation that would make her behaviour more likeable. If anyone has any idea, please tell me. I don`t want to dislike Buffy.

Apart from that the panels don`t really show us anything new. Giles cleans his glasses, Spike snogs Dru and watches Buffy from the shadows, the Scoobies like Pizza, Giles likes cryptic books ...

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I don`t really know how I feel about those panels. I am sorry, but Buffy looks as if she is bored to hell during Xander`s and Willow`s training lesson. She almost looks angry. I can`t really find an explanation that would make her behaviour more likeable. If anyone has any idea, please tell me. I don`t want to dislike Buffy.

Apart from that the panels don`t really show us anything new. Giles cleans his glasses, Spike snogs Dru and watches Buffy from the shadows, the Scoobies like Pizza, Giles likes cryptic books ...

flow
    I get your point but I don't dislike her. Kinda feel sorry for her. I wonder if it's something along the lines of this:

BUFFY
    I feel like I'm worse than anyone. Honestly, I'm beneath them. My friends, my boyfriends. I feel like I'm not worthy of their love. 'Cause even though they love me, it doesn't mean anything 'cause their opinions don't matter. They don't know. They haven't been through what I've been through. They're not the slayer. I am. Sometimes I feel (sighs) this is awful... I feel like I'm better than them. Superior.

HOLDEN
    Until you can't win. And I thought I was diabolical熔r, at least I plan to be. You do have a superiority complex. And you've got an inferiority complex about it. (laughs) Kudos.

BUFFY
    It doesn't make any sense.

HOLDEN
    (sits forward) Oh, it makes every kind of sense. And it all adds up to you feeling alone.

We know she had mixed feelings right up to S11 about not being the only slayer.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (21-03-19),Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,066 Posts

Xander’s life in those panels don't look all nice and shiny. A bad grade on his assignment, him walking sadly on the sidewalk and there's that vampire about to drain him. They are hinting to Xander becoming a vampire.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Xander’s life in those panels don't look all nice and shiny. A bad grade on his assignment, him walking sadly on the sidewalk and there's that vampire about to drain him. They are hinting to Xander becoming a vampire.
    My body is ready.

Banner by LRae12

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday)

Bronze Party-Goer Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Please, don't vamp Xander. He (and Cordelia) is my favourite character so far. The Xander-is-depressed-and-alienated thing needs a proper pay-off. Giving him a vampire family could make him an interesting vampire character, but it would be at the cost of the most developed Scooby.

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    She seems to have been hurt. And may be she keeps loosing at her game

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

flow (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,032 Posts

Solicitation for Buffy # 5.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...its-june-2019/

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #5

Publisher : BOOM! Studios
    Retail Price : $3.99
    Writer: Jordie Bellaire
    Artist: David Lopez
    Cover Artists:
    Main Cover A: Marc Aspinall
    Main Cover B: Kevin Wada
    Main Cover C: Morgan Beem
    Preorder Cover D: Becca Carey
    Incentive Cover E: Yasmin Putri
    Incentive Cover F: Yasmin Putri

Synopsis: After the stunning events of Issue #4, the Scooby Gang tries to recover and deal with a new threat that’s
    arising within the very halls of Sunnydale High itself.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),Willow from Buffy (Yesterday)

Thanks

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #04
    Variant covers by Miguel Mercado.

- - - Updated - - -

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),BAF (Yesterday),Silver1 (Yesterday),Sosa lola (Yesterday),Stoney (Yesterday),Willow from Buffy (Yesterday)

Bronze Party-Goer Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a crack!theory: What if Drusilla seeks to create vampire doppelgangers of all the Scoobies?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),TriBel (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    Here's a crack!theory: What if Drusilla seeks to create vampire doppelgangers of all the Scoobies?
    Wouldn't be at all surprised. Sort of an Angel/Angelus dyad writ large (or small as the case might be). That Xander vamp cover's a damned sight prettier than the Cordy one.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks

It will be the most Xander thing ever if they turn him into a vampire for him to be an inconsequential minor tragic footnote like Forgettable "The Freshman" Guy instead of a legit primary or secondary antagonist.

Banner by LRae12