Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 657 Posts

Default New Buffy series from BOOM! officially announced!

Comic books featuring Buffy the Vampire Slayer now have a new home at publisher BOOM! Studios.

The license for comics based on the Joss Whedon-created franchise previously belonged to Dark Horse Comics and now, after 20 years, it will be moving to a new comic publisher for the first time. BOOM! has plans to release new Buffy monthly comic series, limited series, graphic novels, and more in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products.

During Buffy’s time at Dark Horse, numerous tie-in comics were produced, most notably a series of comics supervised (and sometimes written) by Whedon that continued from where the television show left off, titled Season Eight, Nine, Ten and so on. The final issue of Season Twelve released yesterday, and the trade paperback for Season Twelve, out on December 12, will be Dark Horse’s final Buffy publication. All previously published Buffy comics will be fair game for re-publication under BOOM!. Dark Horse’s Buffy license expires at the end of 2018, so BOOM! will be free to publish Buffy comics starting in 2019, although an official launch date has yet to be revealed.

“I remember watching the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer over 20 years ago, and the feeling of empowerment that came with seeing a girl get to kick ass and have flaws at the same time, and to not apologize for who she was. It’s an honor to oversee that world for a new generation and to bring them that same feeling of knowing your greatest power comes from being true to who you are,” BOOM! Studios Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer said in a statement provided to IGN. “Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself. The characters are allowed to be equal parts human and monster, and seeing them struggle to balance those parts of themselves, the same parts we all struggle with, is why it still resonates with audiences of all ages and backgrounds today.”
    Source.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (20-09-18),cil_domney (24-09-18),MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (20-09-18),Sandman (20-09-18),Silver1 (20-09-18),Skippcomet (24-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18),Stoney (20-09-18),thenewbuzwuzz (20-09-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18),vampmogs (20-09-18),Willow from Buffy (20-09-18)

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Buffy with a smart phone in high school. Does this suggest a reboot? If so, I am all for it. The Dark Horse series struggled with carrying too much baggage. A fresh start and an opportunity to get back to basics sounds great to me.

Hopefully, this will warm folks up before the TV reboot.

P.S. But boy did they not wait long. Continuity!Buffy is just laid to rest and BOOM is already dancing on her grave.
    Last edited by Willow from Buffy; 20-09-18 at 03:06 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

Josh (21-09-18),MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (20-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,060 Posts

I'm surprised that they are announcing it this early.I figured next year or maybe at NYCC in a few weeks.The day after the final Dark Horse issue hits is a surprise.
    Last edited by BAF; 20-09-18 at 03:13 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-09-18),cil_domney (24-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18),Stoney (20-09-18)

Thanks

I think this is good news. Not very surprising having in mind that Firefly already went to Boom! Let's see if there's some involvement from Whedon. I don't expect nothing more than «consultant» or «executive producer» if any. We'll see.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (20-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18),Willow from Buffy (20-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 880 Posts

Back to High School.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (24-09-18),Lostsoul666 (21-09-18),Silver1 (20-09-18),TriBel (20-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,691 Times in 2,635 Posts

I do really like that cover. The inclusion of the smart phone is interesting.

It seems like they're reverting the series back to high school but maybe are updating it to our time. It'll be interesting to see how they do that seeing as how they've used SMG's likeness (straight from Season 1 promo shots) which would suggest it's not a full reboot (different characters/likeness etc) but definitely a reimagining of some sorts.

Since I pretty much just see the comics as a lark at this point (it ended with Chosen/Not Fade Away for me) I'll be curious to read this. If it's enjoyable, that's all I ask.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 719 Posts

There's nowhere else to go. Post-series, other than a full reboot of everything after NFA, is salted Earth.

As long as it stays series-compliant, I'm cool with it. There is a plethora of stuff that could be explored. Summer adventures, road trips, etc. I don't know about the cellphone thing. That art could just be something they threw together. Do not expect great art from BOOM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...-boom-studios/

BOOM! Studios Acquires Buffy the Vampire Slayer License

BOOM! Studios has partnered with 20th Century Fox for a new line of Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics, graphic novels and more.

Joss Whedon’s Buffy The Vampire Slayer has found a new publishing home at BOOM! Studios.

Announced today by IGN, BOOM! will partner with 20th Century Fox to release new comic book series, limited series, original graphic novels and more, all centered around the Buffy franchise.

“I remember watching the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer over twenty years ago, and the feeling of empowerment that came with seeing a girl get to kick ass and have flaws at the same time, and to not apologize for who she was. It’s an honor to oversee that world for a new generation and to bring them that same feeling of knowing your greatest power comes from being true to who you are,” BOOM! Studios Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer tells IGN. “Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself. The characters are allowed to be equal parts human and monster, and seeing them struggle to balance those parts of themselves, the same parts we all struggle with, is why it still resonates with audiences of all ages and backgrounds today.”

Promotional art for the announcement shows Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Buffy Summers standing in front of her high school, a pack of zombies with a cell phone in one hand and a wooden stake in the other, highlighted with the phrase, “High School is Hell.”

In an interview with CBR in August, Whedon revealed Fox’s plans to pull the Buffy and Firefly licenses from Dark Horse, ending a 20-year relationship between the property and the publisher.

Debuting on The WB Television Network in 1997, Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven seasons and starred Sarah Michelle Gellar as “Buffy Summers.” 20th Century Fox Television is working on a Buffy reboot alongside Whedon, with the series set to feature a black actress in the title role.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-09-18),MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (20-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18),vampmogs (20-09-18)

Library Researcher Willow from Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't it paradoxical that in a fandom that embraces the transformative potential of fanfiction, the idea of a reboot is so offensive?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willow from Buffy For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (23-11-18),TriBel (20-09-18),vampmogs (20-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    There's nowhere else to go. Post-series, other than a full reboot of everything after NFA, is salted Earth.
    Pretty much. There's absolutely no reason to expect that BOOM would want to write a continuation of Darkhorse's comics. For one thing, it'd frankly be a terrible business decision given the terrible sales numbers for Darkhorse's run. They lost 90k of readership. It's also unlikely that they'd even want to continue a story told by a rival company and it's too soon for them to reboot and start a new post-NFA story.

Reverting the series back to high school makes the most pragmatic sense. To this day, it's still what most casual viewers associate with Buffy (she's still referred to in the media as the "ex cheerleader") and in many ways it's the series in it's most potent metaphorical form ("High school is hell" has always been a catchy and marketable metaphor/phrase). I can't blame them for it at all. It's the smartest business decision they could make.

They'll be looking into hooking new readers and hopefully tapping into nostalgia from the fans. They won't be at all motivated to keep fans of S8-S12 because, as the sales attest, by the end of that run, there was barley any left.

At the end of the day it'll all be down to the writing.

I find the cover refreshing because I pretty much hated the style of all of Darkhorse's recent comics. This one is fairly simple but I find it far more effective and far more "Buffyesque."
    Last edited by vampmogs; 20-09-18 at 03:32 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (24-09-18),Josh (21-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 657 Posts

I'm just happy that this is still "our" Buffy! Kinda ecstatic even!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (20-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

https://www.newsarama.com/41908-new-...-new-home.html

New BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Comic Book Series Launching at a New Publisher

By Chris Arrant, Editor September 20, 2018

BOOM! Studios has acquired the comic book license for Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, following 20 years exclusively at Dark Horse Comics. First reported by IGN, BOOM! plans to launch a new Buffy monthly title, as well as limited series and graphic novels.

"I remember watching the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer over 20 years ago, and the feeling of empowerment that came with seeing a girl get to kick ass and have flaws at the same time, and to not apologize for who she was. It’s an honor to oversee that world for a new generation and to bring them that same feeling of knowing your greatest power comes from being true to who you are," said BOOM! Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer.

"Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself. The characters are allowed to be equal parts human and monster, and seeing them struggle to balance those parts of themselves, the same parts we all struggle with, is why it still resonates with audiences of all ages and backgrounds today.”

Dark Horse's last original Buffy issue, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 12, The Reckoning #4, was released this week. A collection of that limited series is due out December 12, with Dark Horse's license expiring at the end of 2018.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is owned by 20th Century Fox, which owns a stake in BOOM! Studios. Neither BOOM! nor Fox have stated how the impending Walt Disney Company acquisition of Fox will impact BOOM! or the Buffy franchise.

BOOM! Studios is scheduled to begin publishing Buffy in 2019.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-09-18),cil_domney (24-09-18),MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (20-09-18),vampmogs (20-09-18)

Thanks

Very interesting... so fast!!

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    Isn't it paradoxical that in a fandom that embraces the transformative potential of fanfiction, the idea of a reboot is so offensive?
    Do they? Most don't read fanfic and most of those readers don't embrace that potential. To most, I'd reckon canon is canon and fanfic is fanfic. Fine for what it is, but only that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Pretty much. There's absolutely no reason to expect that BOOM would want to write a continuation of Darkhorse's comics. For one thing, it'd frankly be a terrible business decision given the terrible sales numbers for Darkhorse's run. They lost 90k of readership. It's also unlikely that they'd even want to continue a story told by a rival company and it's too soon for them to reboot and start a new post-NFA story.

Reverting the series back to high school makes the most pragmatic sense. To this day, it's still what most casual viewers associate with Buffy (she's still referred to in the media as the "ex cheerleader") and in many ways it's the series in it's most potent metaphorical form ("High school is hell" has always been a catchy and marketable metaphor/phrase). I can't blame them for it at all. It's the smartest business decision they could make.

They'll be looking into hooking new readers and hopefully tapping into nostalgia from the fans. They won't be at all motivated to keep fans of S8-S12 because, as the sales attest, by the end of that run, there was barley any left.

At the end of the day it'll all be down to the writing.

I find the cover refreshing because I pretty much hated the style of all of Darkhorse's recent comics. This one is fairly simple but I find it far more effective and far more "Buffyesque."
    Plus they can use all the characters again without forcing anything. Angel, Cordy, Wesley, Spike, Dru and Oz.

I find most comic art rather bad anyway, so it doesn't bug me unless it's really terrible. Hopefully the writing is good and by someone who watched BTVS (first), liked BTVS and respects it rather than trying to rewrite and one-up it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

MikeB (20-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 3,622 Posts

So EXCITED

Please just hire good writers, that's all I ask. I don't care if the art is iffy, as long as the dialogue is true

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-09-18)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Promotional art for the announcement shows Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Buffy Summers standing in front of her high school, a pack of zombies with a cell phone in one hand and a wooden stake in the other, highlighted with the phrase, “High School is Hell.”
    Why have they mentioned Sarah? She doesn't look as her and her story wouldn't be continuation of Sarah's Buffy. Which leads me to another question. Do we really need three different Buffy? This, Sarah's one and black slayer from new TV reboot? Wouldn't it be overkill?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Alce For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18)

Thanks

This stuck out to me;

"Buffy is about love at its core, love for your friends and yourself.
    I don't think that's how I would sum up Buffy but I don't necessarily think it's incorrect either. However, what I did find refreshing is that there's no mention of shipping in this comment at all. Which isn't to say that I don't think romantic relationships/shipping was an important part of the series, or that it should be excluded entirely from the comics, but I find it refreshing that they've placed an emphasis on self-love/love for friends for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    Plus they can use all the characters again without forcing anything. Angel, Cordy, Wesley, Spike, Dru and Oz.
    And especially for characters like Angel (before all the Twilight crap) it's reverting them to a far more likeable time as well.

I find most comic art rather bad anyway, so it doesn't bug me unless it's really terrible.
    Oh I'm fully expecting to dislike the interior art. Buffy is going to be cursed forever to suffer terrible interior art.

Hopefully the writing is good and by someone who watched BTVS (first), liked BTVS and respects it rather than trying to rewrite and one-up it.
    Yes!!! I hope this time around we don't get any quotes from someone GETTING the job and THEN watching the TV Series as so often happened with Darkhorse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alce View Post
    Why have they mentioned Sarah? She doesn't look as her and her story wouldn't be continuation of Sarah's Buffy.
    Huh? They've literally just cropped one of SMG's promo shoots from Season 1 and placed it on a different body

It appears to have been lifted directly from the Season 1 boxset cover

The hair is exactly the same and her face is titled upwards. They've even included the stake but just slightly switched the position of her arm and how she's holding it.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 20-09-18 at 03:57 PM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (24-09-18),MikeB (20-09-18),Silver1 (20-09-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alce View Post
    Why have they mentioned Sarah? She doesn't look as her and her story wouldn't be continuation of Sarah's Buffy. Which leads me to another question. Do we really need three different Buffy? This, Sarah's one and black slayer from new TV reboot? Wouldn't it be overkill?
    I'd guess because it's obviously a S1 promo shot of Sarah. That could be because it was a rush job or because SMG still has artist approval rights so they can't do official art until they get that approval.

Plus Sarah is Buffy, who else are they gonna use? The reboot has already been backtracked to another slayer altogether. It won't be Buffy at all.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

betta (20-09-18),MikeB (20-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 3,622 Posts

I think she looks like Dana Scully

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (24-09-18)

Thanks

Thinking the new high school story set in modern times is probably the monthly. It doesn't sound like Whedon will be involved much if at all so this reboot gives them something without upsetting previous stories. And when/if the new show begins it might be easier to tie both Buffy together in comics if this is a modern take.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (20-09-18)