Thread: Insatiable - Is The Controversy Fair?

Thanks

Default Insatiable - Is The Controversy Fair?

I've thought a lot about where I should put this, but because it's so controversial right now and people tend to have extremely opposing views on the show, it could get a little heated; hence The Boiler Room forum.

Netflix have released a new TV show called ‘Insatiable’ and the reviews have been...well, not great. Critics and watchers alike have given in scathing reviews which I personally think is thoroughly undeserved. There are those who just watched the first episode and decided to hate it. No matter how much I’ve ever hated a pilot, I always like to give TV shows a chance to find its footing before I actually decide if I like or hate it. It’s only fair.

A bit of background of the show; for those who haven’t seen it.

Patty is overweight and bullied as a teen. After an altercation where she gets punched in the face, she ends up thin. She now seeks revenge on those who bullied her by entering beauty pageants with her disgraced pageant coach and civil lawyer, Bob.

Bob fell from grace when he was falsely accused of molesting a minor.

Patty may have lost the weight, but she is extremely narcissistic and only ever thinks of herself. She has a huge crush on Bob and actively tries to break up his marriage to Phoebe Halliwell Coralee, (who is a socialite-wannabe trying to rid herself of her ‘trailer trash’ past.)

There have been two main controversies that I’ve seen about Insatiable; that Patty got thin and the show is basically about ‘fat shaming’, and the other controversy is that it’s not about ‘fat shaming’ per se, but about the fact that fatness is synonymous with disordered eating.

I disagree with both. The show certainly does not fat shame, the show itself even says ‘skinny isn’t magic’. Being thin doesn’t make Patty any happier. The show has Dee, who is extremely comfortable in her own skin, is happy, and is entering pageants to show that it isn’t just thin girls who can win. (Go girl!) Patty takes an instant liking to Dee, however, Dee does not reciprocate the likeness, since Patty is ugly on the inside, something which Dee states to Patty. As for saying that fatness is synonymous with disordered eating, I personally think that is false also. Dee is not shown to have disordered eating, as mentioned before she is happy and comfortable in her own body. The fact that Patty does have an eating disorder, does not mean that the two are synonymous and to even argue that is bizarre.

It seems to me that many, many people missed that the show is supposed to be satire.

Although satire is usually meant to be*humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.
    This is exactly what the show achieves.

There is a part in the show when a transgender woman and Patty are in the bathroom, and both are having self-confidence issues of not being comfortable showing off their body, which is common when people have eating disorders and also, I can only assume, in transgender women. The moment has no comedy because it is such a moment of realness, something that a lot of women have experienced in their life. I used to be quite thin, however, I was never comfortable in my own body. I used to think I was fatter than I actually was. After having a baby and struggling to lose that weight, and then pregnant again, I now know I was silly to ever think that I needed to lose weight back then. However society does put pressure on women to be stick thin, and if you don’t look a certain way that pressure can be horrendous.

There was also outrage at the fact that ‘thin actors are wearing fat suits’, however realistically, how are we supposed to show flashbacks without having a fat suit? Insatiable, I think, tried to not use comedy whilst showing ‘Fatty Patty’, and is on the other end of the spectrum of the Monica Gellar fat suit from Friends.

There is also outrage at the seemingly blasé way that the show handled Bob's false molestation. However, since it's satire I think it works seemingly well, considering it's such a major, common problem. Comedians use comedy all the time to bring attention to issues and get people to talk about them. False molestation charges should absolutely be talked about because men especially are falsely accused and ruin their reputation, jobs and life. [Just look at Roxanne Pallett and Ryan Thomas. Not molestation, but Roxanne accused Ryan of 'punching her multiple times' and that she was too scared to sleep in the same room as him because it was malicious. What she forgot was that everything was aired live so everyone saw what happened. Had Roxanne made those claims and there were no cameras on them, Ryan's career would have been ruined and his reputation would have been in tatters.]

I think that the people who are outraged, are more outraged on behalf of other people, something that is all too common nowadays. I’ve read many comments from people who do have eating disorders, are overweight or are uncomfortable in their own body who say this show really spoke to them. They also understood that it was satire, again something that I think people have overlooked. This really gives 'credit' to the 'snowflakes' (I hate that term with a passion!) who seem to be offended by everything and anything nowadays. I firmly believe had Insatiable been released ten years ago, there wouldn't be as much controversy about it today.

Do you actually think that it deserves the controversy it has received? I personally do not, and I think most of the people who hate it have either only seen the trailer or only seen the first episode.

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (10-09-18),TriBel (10-09-18)