Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling with Tumblr

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Tumbling with Tumblr

In recent years fandom moved to the website Tumblr and it's now one of the most important sources for fanfic, online discussions about fandom, RPG's and fanart. The site gives members the chance to start their own blog, follow other blogs, interact and share their own and each others work. BF has it's own blog there (thanks buffylover!) and several of us are active bloggers. This thread is here for sharing our favorite artists at Tumblr, showing others your favorite fanart made by people on Tumblr, helping each other and asking questions.

Remember that this section of BF is called 'Fanart'. Let's not fill this thread with blogs that are mainly about fanfic or fandom discussions. And if you share a tutorial, resources or fanart, make sure you also post the link so people can see the source and like/reblog it. I'll try to update this post with all the blogs people run or recommend to follow/check out.

--------------------------------------

The BF blog

Blogs by (former) BF members who make/made fanart:

Ahm Shere
    Aureola
    bespangled
    betta
    Bre
    buffylover
    Destiny (hiatus)
    Firecracker
    Janas (hiatus)
    Jenni Lou (hiatus)
    Josh
    Lyri
    Mara
    Nina
    Priceless
    J.J.
    Silver1
    Smth_Blue
    To Paris By Train (I forgot her name on BF )
    Zugma

-I probably forgot a few, so please let me know-

You might want to pay these a visit:

Chaotic Resources

How do I...

...make a post on Tumblr/the BF Tumblr?
    ... follow blogs and like or reblog posts?
    ... change the theme of my blog?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-08-18),Josh (21-08-18),Silver1 (20-08-18),thenewbuzwuzz (23-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 3,707 Posts

This is really a basic question but I'd really like someone to tell me how Tumblr works. I'm check it out now and again (I joined a while ago) but I don't understand how it works. How do I talk to someone on Tumblr? All I've ever done is 'like' something I've seen.

Oh and i can see a Sunnydale Herald Newsletter and we're still lagging behind BB in mentions

How do I get involved? (Sorry Nina, this is probably just the sort of post you don't want to see on this thread )

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Nina (20-08-18),thenewbuzwuzz (23-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    This is really a basic question but I'd really like someone to tell me how Tumblr works. I'm check it out now and again (I joined a while ago) but I don't understand how it works. How do I talk to someone on Tumblr? All I've ever done is 'like' something I've seen.

Oh and i can see a Sunnydale Herald Newsletter and we're still lagging behind BB in mentions

How do I get involved? (Sorry Nina, this is probably just the sort of post you don't want to see on this thread )

This is exactly why this thread exists.

I'll make a small tutorial later this day to show some of the basic functions of the website. I hope it will help you. ^^

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-08-18),Josh (20-08-18),Priceless (20-08-18),Silver1 (20-08-18)

Thanks

Oh, and with the launch of the BF tumblr, I already made a small tutorial about posting your own art.

That one can be found here.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-08-18),Priceless (20-08-18),Silver1 (20-08-18)

Thanks

I'm sorry for my horrible English, but I hope this helps a bit. Tomorrow I'll change the lay out of my blog and make a tutorial of that as well.

Tutorial is spoilered because of the size:
    Spoiler:

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (20-08-18),betta (20-08-18),buffylover (20-08-18),GoSpuffy (20-08-18),Josh (20-08-18),Priceless (20-08-18),Silver1 (20-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 881 Posts

You can see blogs without having an account; just follow the URL - but you won't be able to Like or Rebblog anything:

http://gite63.tumblr.com/

To post is easy - create an account and choose one of the options when you are at your dashboard: Text/Photo/Quote/lLnk/Chat/Audio/Video.

If you like something, you click on the Sometimes, you like a post/opinion, and then the discussion keeps going on, and you don't agree with any of it, but there's no way for other people to know what exactly you have liked in the first place...

If you Follow a blog, all posts of the person will show in your dashboard; if a person posts about a lot of fandoms, or politics, or how to make the perfect cake besides the Buffyverse, all these subjects will show in your dashboard, so maybe it's better to save (write it down, because you can't save it on Tumblr as far as I know) their addresses and visit their blogs while signed in - I do that because Tumblr is "heavy" and my Internet is not much powerful.

The only problem I had in the beginning was how to answer a post - you have to reblog it, and it will appear in your blog/dashboard; and if the discussion keeps going (between you and other posters who join the conversation), the same post (with the additions) will appear over and over again in your blog/dashboard.

You can answer or say something by clicking on the speech bubble, but probably the only person who will read it is the original poster.

You can edit your post how many times you want (or even delete it); but once it is reblogged, it's forever.

If you want to post your banner/icon/wall paper, just click on "Photo" and upload it! You can add a caption, write whatever you want, and also tag it.
    Last edited by betta; 21-08-18 at 04:06 PM.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-08-18),Nina (20-08-18),Priceless (20-08-18),Silver1 (20-08-18),TriBel (20-08-18)

Thanks

When I go to someone I follow and click their name on my 'follow' list, their page appears on the right of my screen and is half size. Is there anyway to get it in the middle of the page and make it bigger?

Thanks

When I go to someone I follow and click their name on my 'follow' list, their page appears on the right of my screen and is half size. Is there anyway to get it in the middle of the page and make it bigger?
    Click on the name with the mouse right button: "open in another tab"; it goes to the post. If you just pass the mouse on the name, you do the same and go to the blog's firts page. Sorry, I don't know exactly how it reads in English - if you can translate it to me...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Click on the name with the mouse right button: "open in another tab"; it goes to the post. If you just pass the mouse on the name, you do the same and go to the blog's firts page. Sorry, I don't know exactly how it reads in English - if you can translate it to me...
    Thank you, that works. I have reblogged and commented on one of your posts, or a post you reblogged. Get me, it's like I know what I'm doing

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (21-08-18),TriBel (20-08-18)

Thanks

Thank you, that works. I have reblogged and commented on one of your posts, or a post you reblogged. Get me, it's like I know what I'm doing
    You reblogged me, and then I reblogged you, which kind of is to reblog myself. It's weird like that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    You reblogged me, and then I reblogged you, which kind of is to reblog myself. It's weird like that.
    So every time you want to leave a comment for someone, you have to re-blog their blog? But at least it seemed to work, thanks Betta

If anyone has any blogs they'd like to recommend I follow, that would be great

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (23-08-18)

Thanks

Okido, I'm going to change the theme of my blog today and I'll try to explain what I'm doing. Thankfully Tumblr is rather friendly for people who understand little of codes and other computer stuff.

First things first, finding a theme you like. There are a lot of places with free themes for Tumblr. I used the blog Theme Hunter.
    There I found Paradise by Solo Designs and decided that this is my new theme.

This theme has a sidebar image. Thus before I started messing around with the codes, I made something I could use as a sidebar. This is of course a matter of preference, you can do it later.

Okay, the coding. Every theme has a link to pastebin and there you can find the complete code. You've to copy the whole code. Then go to your own blog (not the dashboard, but the blog everybody can see), if you are logged in you'll see in the right upper corner three symbols. You need to click on the one in de middle (the others are for bringing you to your dashboard and to change your settings).

A sidebar will appear where you can alter the look of your blog. Let's start with replacing the old code for the new code by selecting the old code and pasting the new code on top of it:

After replacing the code, I click on 'preview' to check if it worked. After that I save the changes and I go back to the menu where I can change the look of my blog. And from here on, it's rather easy.

The first thing I do is uploading the sidebar and icon I already made. This way I can adjust the colors in such a way that it fits the sidebar image and icon. In photoshop I check the codes of the colors in my sidebar image and use those for my blog.

When I'm happy with the colors, I move on to the part where I add my links. If you want to link to your pages (you can create pages at the bottom of your menu) the url you want to link to is the url of your blog + the name of the page. By example my blog is nananana-nina.tumblr.com and my page with tags is called '/tags', so the url is http://nananana-nina.tumblr.com/tags.

After you're done, save the changes in settings and leave the menu.

So that was the blog, but there is also the small window people see when they click on your blog when they are browsing in the dashboard.

------------------------

Go to your dashboard and go to your account (upper right corner, the last pictogram) and go to settings.

There you can upload an icon, a background picture, change the colors and the font. After you are done, you save the changes and you're done!

If there is something unclear, let me know. ^^

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

betta (23-08-18),buffylover (21-08-18),Josh (21-08-18),Silver1 (21-08-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 668 Posts

So every time you want to leave a comment for someone, you have to re-blog their blog?
    No, you can leave a comment without re-blogging. Click that speech bubble icon to do it.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

buffylover (21-08-18),Priceless (21-08-18),Silver1 (21-08-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 455 Posts

Fantastic tutorials Nina!

Thank you so much for doing these! And that new theme is gorgeous on your Tumblr! And that new art on the side bar is stunning.

It's your new Icon!

And Priceless thank you so much for the follow instantly followed back I sincerely hope more will willingly join Tumblr it's a fantastic place to get inspired!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Nina (21-08-18)

Thanks

Thank you for all the tutorials Nina! I'm waiting on the weekend to have some free time to sit down and set it up!
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Nina (21-08-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

You are, still, and I'm not thrilled with it either, because I know there's a lot of awesome content on this site. It's a matter of logistics, as we explained earlier.

Tip for helping the Sunnydale Herald and the rest of the fandom notice your tumblr posts: tag your original posts with "btvs" or "buffy the vampire slayer" (or "angel the series", but less people follow that tag). You could use this to promote forum threads, too, if you posted links to them on tumblr. Note that we don't include 100% of Buffy content in the newsletter, but things like this could help us not miss stuff.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to thenewbuzwuzz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,835 Times in 5,314 Posts

Have the new art challenges gone up?? Both to the Herald and our own tumblr page? I'll try to remember to ask buffylover in the fanart chat thread if we are posting on our tumblr still (I haven't posted on it in an age). We're getting busier, we just need to remember to brag about things we have when we have them.

The latest banner/icon prompts and Nina's challenge.
    Last edited by Stoney; 23-08-18 at 08:32 AM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (23-08-18),thenewbuzwuzz (23-08-18)

Thanks

God Tumblr is far too difficult. How do you write anything in the bit under your picture??

There is no way I can do tags or links or anything else on that damned site. Twitter is so easy, there's a box, you write something then click a button that says Tweet. Easy peasy.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Have the new art challenges gone up?? Both to the Herald and our own tumblr page? I'll try to remember to ask buffylover in the fanart chat thread if we are posting on our tumblr still (I haven't posted on it in an age). We're getting busier, we just need to remember to brag about things we have when we have them.

The latest banner/icon prompts and Nina's challenge.
    FYI, the Herald linked this post from the buffyforums tumblr. http://buffyforums.tumblr.com/post/1...0/come-join-us

36. The Following User Says Thank You to thenewbuzwuzz For This Useful Post:

Stoney (24-08-18)

Thanks

So I, too, have no clue how to use tumblr, however I did make an account and have been browsing through it.

Here

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Nina (23-08-18),thenewbuzwuzz (23-08-18)