Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closed l Challenge 75: Alvestędetocht

Thanks

I agree, Feedback would definitely be helpful to me also, and awards are a nice idea.

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Nina (20-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 494 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Hey everybody, I was wondering what people would like me to do at the end of this challenge. Awards? Just feedback? Or no feedback at all?
    Anything you feel comfortable with / have time for is fine with me!

So here's my contribution, finally. Because my time was extremely limited, I decided to cheat and try to hit multiple cities at once. And I chose Spike as the main character, just because if I'm to sacrifice my sleep to making fanart, it better involve Spike

Sneek - character pushing their limits. That's Spike, pushing the limits of his soulless vampire nature by trying to do good, and ultimately getting his soul ("to be a kind of man").

IJlst - something I never made before: a picspam.

Hindeloopen - besides the screencaps, I didn't use anything that didn't come with my photo editing software.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (21-09-18),cil_domney (21-09-18),flow (21-09-18),Josh (21-09-18),Nina (21-09-18),Priceless (21-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),Stoney (21-09-18),thenewbuzwuzz (27-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 564 Posts

I think you all deserve awards because all the art is amazing and I don’t know how you guys do it! I can barely draw a stick figure - my ability at art rivals Spike’s depiction of Angel in Chosen. I know it must take an enormous time to tweak these to get them just right.

Really loving this challenge - looking forward to seeing more!

I would give some feedback - but my uninformed opinion would be pretty worthless when it comes to this kind of thing. Is there anything that I should be looking at in particular to discuss?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

buffylover (21-09-18),cil_domney (21-09-18),flow (21-09-18),Nina (21-09-18),Stoney (21-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,794 Times in 5,284 Posts

I'm still hoping I'll get time to do at least one piece for this before next Friday and I've always been a fan of feedback/awards with the challenges.

In the past Aurora the person setting the challenge will give feedback on each piece entered and any awards if they are choosing to after the end of the challenge and then anyone/everyone chats/comments on their thoughts, the feedback etc. As for what to look at, it really is a case of whatever grabs you about a piece. You can consider the mood the person has brought to it, their use of positioning, textures, colours, the screencaps chosen, how well they conveyed a theme, presented a character or how they met the challenge they were aiming for. There's so many aspects, it's really about how it connects for you.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),cil_domney (21-09-18),Nina (21-09-18)

Thanks

Here is my submission for Franeker -

I've been wanting to watch this film and just never seem to get around to doing it - primarily because I have a silly bias against these Disney family films. This is the weekend that I will finally "get over my nonsense" and watch what is describe as a great film by almost all who have seen it.

It's a bit too busy for my taste but it's what I managed to come up with - I am actually working on a second piece for this street and one for "something I've never done before."

Coco Comes To Sundale by NMCIL, on Flickr
    Last edited by cil_domney; 21-09-18 at 03:09 PM.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),betta (27-09-18),buffylover (21-09-18),Double Dutchess (23-09-18),Josh (21-09-18),Nina (21-09-18),Priceless (21-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),Stoney (21-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,625 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cil_domney View Post
    Here is my submission for Franeker -

I've been wanting to watch this film and just never seem to get around to doing it - primarily because I have a silly bias against these Disney family films. This is the weekend that I will finally "get over my nonsense" and watch what is describe as a great film by almost all who have seen it.

It's a bit too busy for my taste but it's what I managed to come up with - I am actually working on a second piece for this street and one for "something I've never done before."

Coco Comes To Sundale by NMCIL, on Flickr
    I love it. I've never heard of Coco, but this poster makes me want to go and watch it

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),cil_domney (22-09-18)

Thanks

Here is the second submission for Franeker - I fell in love with this still promo for Coco. I immediately thought of Spike and Angel as representatives in the Buffyverse. I've not seen the film yet - at this point all I know is that this is a animal spirit named Pepita connected to the great great grandmother Imelda. Like the Buffyverse characters, Spike and Angel in vamp face have a sinister look but are loyal to the humans that are important to them.

Coco and Buffyverse by NMCIL, on Flickr
    Last edited by cil_domney; 22-09-18 at 07:58 AM.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

betta (27-09-18),buffylover (22-09-18),Double Dutchess (23-09-18),Josh (23-09-18),Nina (22-09-18),Priceless (22-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),Stoney (22-09-18)

Thanks

Bolsward

I saw Zugma's fantastic art Post 25 and thought it looked so interesting and something I hadn't really seen before, so I tried my hand at making something similar. I can't do text as fabulous as Zugma, I definitely need to work on that. But here is my result.

Ths is from The 10th Kingdom. I decided to do this one because it's such a hilarious scene. If you haven't seen it, watch the clip here.

Text: DaFont
    Gif: Me. Painstakingly.
    Last edited by Ahm Shere; 23-09-18 at 06:04 PM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

buffylover (23-09-18),cil_domney (23-09-18),Double Dutchess (23-09-18),Josh (23-09-18),Nina (24-09-18),Priceless (23-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),Stoney (23-09-18)

Thanks

Looks great! I'm with you on the trying this as my "never done before" project - I've been wanting to figure out how to use this style and make it more personal - love how you used the peep hole effect. What you both did is excellent.
    Last edited by cil_domney; 23-09-18 at 08:29 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (24-09-18)

Thanks

My final street before Leeuwarden! Unsure if I will get a chance to do something, but hey I got this far.

So,

Franeker

I chose this because I have always been interested in watching the Lizzie Borden Chronicles, I've just never got a chance to get around to it. I've always been fascinated with the crime, (and I do think Lizzie was guilty!) so why I've never seen this is just beyond me.

Screencaps: Me
    Font: Martyric by DaFont

- - - Updated - - -

Leeuwarden

Ahhh! Final stop! So for this challenge, as it was a 'make your own', I decided to challenge myself to do something interesting with text, since I seem to struggle a lot with it. So that's it. This challenge has been emotional, it's been a journey and I've enjoyed every mini-challenge. So without further ado, here is my final entry for Alvestędetocht!

Stock image: Adobe Stock
    Font: DreamOnly by DaFont
    Screencaps: Me
    Lyrics: David Bowie

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

buffylover (26-09-18),Double Dutchess (26-09-18),Nina (26-09-18),Priceless (26-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),Stoney (26-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,255 Posts

When I started this challenge, I didn't really expect anyone to complete the whole alvestędetocht. Amazing.

For the mere mortals among us: It's the last day. Tomorrow I'll close the challenge.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (27-09-18),buffylover (27-09-18),Josh (27-09-18),Priceless (27-09-18),Stoney (27-09-18),thenewbuzwuzz (27-09-18)

Thanks

IJlst - BtVS poster

Credits: promo image & brushes - daydreaming, logo - logos_download (click for full size image)

Okay this isn't hard to work out, I haven't done a poster before... so I did a BtVS one!

I spent far longer on this than it will seem I expect as deciding what to do and also keeping it really simple (which one fanart site I looked at said a poster should be) pretty much strained my brain as to what to actually do. I cut out Buffy but kept with the original background (it just aided the texture layering), looked at some of Jenni Lou's tips on colouring options, scoured through my textures and just played about a bit really. I'm fairly happy with it but I'm not sure posters will become something I do with any regularity.

If I can possibly fit in another before the end of tomorrow I will because there are so many great options in this challenge and I feel I could have done something more interesting.
    Last edited by Stoney; 01-10-18 at 01:07 PM.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (27-09-18),betta (27-09-18),buffylover (27-09-18),Double Dutchess (29-09-18),flow (27-09-18),Josh (27-09-18),Nina (27-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),thenewbuzwuzz (27-09-18)

Thanks

And the challenge is closed. Thank you all for entering beautiful and creative work.

I'll try to post the feedback and the awards within a week. The next challenge will be by Josh, but he can't post one right away. But hopefully he finds the time to start a challenge in a week or so.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (28-09-18),buffylover (28-09-18),Double Dutchess (29-09-18),Lyri (28-09-18),Priceless (28-09-18),Silver1 (28-09-18),Stoney (28-09-18)

Thanks

And the challenge is closed. Thank you all for entering beautiful and creative work.
    Oh drat it! I had it in my head that the challenge closed on Friday. Oh well, I can keep my idea and the caps I spent the evening gathering for another time. Thanks for a really interesting challenge Nina, I'm disappointed I only found the time to visit one city.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (28-09-18),buffylover (28-09-18),Nina (28-09-18)

Thanks

I'm still busy with the feedback and noticed that Ahm Shere had ten entries, which is weird for something that is about eleven cities. Turns out I forgot about the city of Dokkum and only gave you all ten challenges instead of eleven. I'm such an idiot.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (29-09-18)

Thanks

I'm still busy with the feedback and noticed that Ahm Shere had ten entries, which is weird for something that is about eleven cities. Turns out I forgot about the city of Dokkum and only gave you all ten challenges instead of eleven. I'm such an idiot.
    Oh don't worry, no one noticed! I loved this challenge, and I'm sure everyone else did too. You put so much thought into it and it worked really well. Thank you and you've nothing to feel bad about

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (29-09-18),Double Dutchess (29-09-18),Nina (29-09-18),Stoney (29-09-18)

Thanks

To be honest I got a bit confused when I saw I only posted 10 enties, but I thought you meant 10 cities including the capital. So I didn't notice. It was an amazing challenge though and it was well thought out, as Priceless said.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (29-09-18),Nina (29-09-18),Priceless (29-09-18),Stoney (29-09-18)

Thanks

I'm glad it didn't bother anyone.

Okay, time for the awards and feedback. But first I want to write a small disclaimer. Please read, especially if you do not really like the system of awards and feedback.

Spoiler:
    I've made awards for the two people who really made this challenge awesome. And I picked my three favorite entries. I did limit it to three because I do not want to get in the situation that one or two people notice that everybody has awards except them because I picked my favorite 10 entries or something. Also it's good to remember that this is only my opinion and taste. It's very well possible that I love something that many others do not or the other way around.

That is also the case with my feedback. I wrote down my opinion and it's just that... I've never been good with feedback, certainly not in an international setting. As people might know, Dutch people disagree with the rest with the world about how blunt one should be. Here we believe that (brutal) honesty helps people better than not hurting ones feelings. So usually I suppress my Dutch urges when I say something about somebody's art. But I also wanted to do more than just tell everybody how awesome their entries are because I believe that doesn't really help people. Although I do understand that people need some cheering to open photoshop again next time. So I hope that nobody feels hurt or discouraged after reading the feedback because that would be terrible.

Oh and my apologies for my horrid English.

Cool, let's begin.

I was so happy to see so many entries. It's good to see this place being alive again. Thank you all so much for entering and all the nice comments.

The Awards:

Third Place:

You write that you want to use your creativity to achieve ‘editorial design’ and I think that you’re certainly on your way. It was also the creativity and the unique designer style that makes this one of my favourite entries. The typography is especially spectacular. And like always, it’s super well made. The one thing that kind of worries me is that you might’ve been a bit too busy with designer style and minimalism. The entry is three times the back of Lara Croft. We don’t see her really do anything or emotions on her face…. something to give the quote more weight. But that’s also a matter of preference, it’s a wonderful set of graphics.

Second Place:

This entry is in my top 3 because I love it a lot. It’s doesn’t just look pretty, I applaud you for the way you worked with pictures that do not really have the right quality. You’ve done a great job, the caps are clear and even survived your colouring. The composition and the blending is very well done as well. The only thing I wonder about is the colour of the text.. Why did you pick such a bright colour (it almost looks like white) and not one that fits the rest of the wallpaper? Awesome that you used so much text btw, it fits the composition and that is quite hard to achieve (IMO).

First Place:

Awesome that you used a tutorial that doesn’t dictate every step. That way you know you will create your own graphic and that certainly happened. It’s a wonderful combination of your own style and that of the typical DA banners. Even after reading the tutorial myself I’ve no idea how you managed to use so many pictures on such a small canvas without making it look crowdy and unfocussed. It’s magic! Also I like yours much more than the one by the writer of the tut.

&

The Champion:

All the feedback under the cut...

Spoiler:
    Oh boy…. Here we go.

Sneek:
    I loved that show! Too bad it ended rather abruptly. But okay… wallpaper. The atmosphere is great. It’s mysterious, dark and the contrasting colours work very well. Combined they really capture the mood of the story, which is great. It all fits the theme. Too bad that there are some small faults with the quality of the pictures. It might have something to do with the calibration of your computer screen (or mine ^^). In the black area between Jack and Chandler I see a lot of noise or a texture (?) that is simply a bit too bright for the wallpaper in that area. It’s a pity because I think you went for a pretty clean wallpaper. It also lacks a bit of oomph, something that draws your eye. Maybe a bit more contrast? Nonetheless, it’s a well-made wallpaper.

IJlst:
    Ah the moving graphics, the holy grail of fanartists. I remember that the hardest part was making something that still looked decent despite the limited colour pallet of .gifs. Something you managed rather well. I fear that I don’t really have all that much to say (or whine ). I like that you didn’t make it a very fast moving icon and that it includes a panel with only text. Those aspects make it pleasant to look at. Especially in combination with the soft colours.

Sloten:
    It’s for me hard to understand the story you’re telling because I do not know Wentworth. Actually, it is the first time I heard about the tv-series. ^^ This might be super obvious, but why did you pick such a vibrant blue colour to dominate this graphic? It’s not really the first colour that I would link to the story you described and it’s the most prominent part of your graphic.

Harlingen:
    Never saw Wicked, but from what I know bout the musical those fancastings are great. I love the picture of Emily Browning in the front. She forces us to look at her. I do wish that you also made her picture a bit more green so she would fit in better with the rest of the graphic. Now she is a bit pinkish in a yellow/green graphic. Your Elphaba fits beautifully in the graphic, although I would’ve made her another shade of green. And love the typography btw.

Stavoren:
    You are brave, creating a composition with many screencaps Jenni Lou-style is hard. Love that it didn’t stop you from picking this tutorial. Your blending is beautiful in this graphic, the same can be said of the typography. But I do wish that you gave yourself a bit more space, literally. The canvas is rather small and you’ve used a lot of caps which are nearly all the same size. This way there is no real focus, which makes it overwhelming to look at. Another thing to keep in mind is that a graphic with a very dark background and with loads of caps with faces on it, lead to something I call ‘the floating head syndrome’. Personally I don’t really like that effect, it’s even a bit creepy. Which might fit the subject of your graphic, but still I prefer to see sometimes more of the body of a person…
    Hindeloopen:
    Lovely banner and I agree, that scene is great. The simplicity works here very well. Especially because the quote is the star of the graphic. That’s also why it could’ve been a bit bigger/more bold in my opinion. But I also understand that you wanted to keep it all very peaceful. And did you cut out Dumbledore? Because if you did, it looks extremely neat. Well done!

Workum:
    What a fun idea to use ‘colour burn’ when you make a graphic that features fire. The effect will never be a favourite of mine (I think it’s too harsh) but it looks pretty good in your graphic. Probably because of your choice to make fire the theme. The contrast of the background might have been a bit higher, just so it would fit the dramatic look of the photo with the two characters.

Bolsward:
    This one made me laugh so hard. And it moves smoothly. Nicely done! The rest of the wallpaper could’ve used something extra, but I also understand that the wallpaper is better off when it’s not too busy.

Franeker:
    Oh, I’ve seen that series! I’m glad you added the little rhyme about Lizzie. It’s a lot of text for a small graphic, but I think it should be on a blend about Lizzie Borden. I might have left out one of the caps with her on it though. Just to make more space for the text and the other two caps with her on it. Oh and your cap of Lizzie with her hat on is stunning.

Leeuwarden:
    I’m a sucker for text on a rectangle. So *yay* for you doing that. I like the light graphic, it has a certain softness that is almost magical. I really like it. If I had to whine about something, I would focus on the font you picked. It’s hard to read and it think that a graphic that is about the typography/text needs readable text. It’s not the colour or the size that makes it hard to read, just the font. I’ve no idea what the text says.

plus...

The runner up/special mention:

And your feedback is also under a cut. ^^

Spoiler:
    Sneek:
    *yay* Two for the price of one. My personal favourite is the one with Giles. It’s brighter, which puts more focus on his face. I’m not sure if the Spike icon improved by the red glow/cloud-effect. It hides the picture too much (IMO) and because of the darkness it’s not an icon that draws your attention.

IJlst:
    Congrats on your first wallpaper. What I really enjoyed seeing, is that it’s a classic ‘first wallpaper’. I remember mine (and those of many others) being rather similar. Funny how nearly everybody starts roughly the same way. That said, you understand more about how to use brushes than most. ^^ I agree with you that the colours are wonderful, those make the wallpaper pop. Smart that you made the pictures black and white, that way the bright blue is the star. Some unasked advice… graphics with several pictures usually improve when you make sure that every pictures has a similar contrast/brightness. In your wallpaper it’s the pic from Something Blue that doesn’t really fits because it brighter and has less contrast than the other pictures.

Sloten:
    You’ve done a great job telling a story on a small canvas. Although I do not really understand the figure in the background, the big cap with her bloody arm and the smaller cap where you can clearly see how young she still is, really work well. What works less well, in my opinion, is the green/yellow colour. It’s just a bit too dominant. And now al the attention goes to the background because of it. Something else, I think it’s awesome that you didn’t just blend the caps but worked with brushes/the eraser to remove the background. It’s harder and more work, so I appreciate that you did it.

Stavoren:
    Love the composition. It’s a classic. Together with the soft colours and the clean blending it creates a banner that is very easy on the eyes. That your banner is rather different from the one by buffylover is wonderful btw. Tutorials are there to learn how others work, to see which steps and techniques they use and not to copy their work. You used his tutorial to make something that has your own signature. Don’t call it incompetence!

Hindeloopen:
    It oozes cuteness, both the picture and the text are really sweet. Also using Ats caps is no easy task considering the show isn’t released in HD (I believe, but maybe I’m behind). Which means that Ats graphics always require some creativity. Or you have to simply accept the blurry nature of the pictures. Personally I find that hard, to me a nice graphic needs sharp pictures. In your banner the face of Angel is a bit too blurry IMO and because of that the whole banner suffers. The vivid background takes over, the typography takes over and Angel is kind of lost at first glance. But yeah, like I said… it’s not always possible to get a sharper version of Ats caps.

Workum:
    Awesome that you used so many tools for the first time. It’s fun to compare this one with your entry for Sloten and how neat you removed the background in this one. Very impressive… I also love the beautiful pink colour. Of the two versions, my favourite is the second one. I don’t really think that the text adds much. It doesn’t improve the atmosphere. Plus the font doesn’t really seem to fit the emotion on Buffy’s face. I’m now a bit curious what the ink tool does in GIMP though.

Bolsward:
    It might not be what you like to hear, but I prefer the Spuffy banner. It’s because of the brightness, the colouring, the quality of the pictures you picked and because you made it your own. The second one is too much a copy in my opinion. (Although that might also be my fault if I wasn’t clear in my OP.) That said, it’s clear that you did improve in the last few months. You no longer alter the proportions of pictures or add stocks that have a cut off bottom. Also I do like that you made Drusilla’s lips pink and her eyes bright blue. It gives her oomph without making her look out of place.

The Feedback:

Actually I'll put everybody's feedback under a cut now. To save us from scrolling.

Josh:

Spoiler:
    IJlst:
    It’s neat to see you doing two new things. That is brave and it paid off. Love the decision with the bloody knife in front of the eclipse while using Sunnydale High’s colours. It’s indeed a bit like the teaser posters (which are these days often the best posters). Personally I would’ve loved it if you went even further with the minimalism and left out the shadows (the eclipse and the blood). That might have made it all look even cleaner.

Lyri:

Spoiler:
    Franeker:
    Interesting combination of a very bright wallpaper that oozes innocence while using that text and blood on her lips. I love that this is how somebody who never saw GoT reads her. Personally I think it’s pretty accurate. The wallpaper itself is well done. I like the composition and the way you used the textures. At the same time I do think that the wallpaper could’ve done with fewer textures. It’s a bit overwhelming.

Bolsward:
    Looking at art by Slaycandy makes me super jealous of her talent for typography and I think that you also have a knack for it. The typography (especially the quote) is very well done. I’m also a big fan of the colouring. Usually I prefer some contrasting colours, but it really works in this wallpaper. Not so sure about the composition, I think it could’ve been either more creative or otherwise more stocks/ other subjects. I don’t think this wallpaper needed Jessica four times in a row. But it’s nevertheless a really nice graphic and I can see that you were inspired by Slaycandy.

buffylover:

Spoiler:
    Bolsward:
    This one is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I adore the two parts which are just black & pink. Love the combination of chaos, seeing mostly just silhouettes, wonderful composition and the face of Buffy that oozes emotion. It’s a style you rarely see in the fanart community, probably because most people can only dream of achieving something like this. A wonderful tribute to the posters you listed as your inspiration. My issue is with the other two panels and my issues are super subjective because there is nothing wrong with the quality of the graphics. They are well made and my guess is that a lot of people love the style. But what knocked my socks off in the panels with the silhouettes, doesn’t work for me here. It’s too crowdy and the colouring doesn’t work for me. Especially on the dove it’s too harsh in my eyes.

holypotatoes:

Spoiler:
    Franeker:
    Love that you went with the Handmaid’s Tale for Franeker, pretty sure I would’ve done the same. Never saw the show, but those costumes are everything. So I’m glad there are plenty of pics with those costumes in your wallpaper. You’ve done great with the composition, there is a lot to see, but the focus is on EM’s character and it’s never overwhelming. Which is also a testament to your fine texture work. And while I love the colours, I do think that something went a bit wrong with the colouring of the dominant picture with EM’s face on it. Her eyes are looking up and her mouth is blue due to the colouring, which reminds me of a zombie. It’s a tad creepy. And while the shows sounds creepy as hell, I’m not sure that this is the right kind of creepy. But otherwise it’s a lovely wallpaper.

cil_domney:

Spoiler:
    Bolsward:
    I can also appreciate it when people dare to try out a complete new style and you’ve picked a very difficult style. So kudos for your bravery. Agreed that your first version is the nicest one. Her face is the star of the graphic and thus there is no need for extra things. I’m curious why you made the decision to make the shades in the face more subtle than in your inspiration. I love the effects in your graphic, but it does fascinate me that you made that call. I’m less sure about the super bright red colour you used for the border, I think that her face might’ve looked even better if the border had another colour. Although the red colour is kind of your signature, so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that you went with it. ^^

Hindeloopen:
    I’m not sure what I see in the upper left corner. Stocks? Textures? Doesn’t really matter, it’s beautiful. The blending with the picture with Spike is lovely. The big picture with Spike looks a bit blown up though, it lost it’s sharpness. If you would’ve told me that you were going to make a brownish graphic with big prominent purple letters, I probably would’ve advised you to reconsider. But it looks pretty good. Very bold…

Franeker 1:
    Amazing colours, the graphic is so bright and fun! Love the combination of the many colours and styles. And you did a great job with giving Buffy her make up. It’s indeed busy, but it works. Everything is so over the top that a more minimalistic style wouldn’t work as well.

Franeker 2:
    After your explanation I started looking for Angel in your graphic because I was scared I missed something. But he is not there…. right? What I did notice was a lovely painting-like style. I wish that you used the same style on Spike (although maybe you did and it didn’t look good… no idea), so that it would be more one coherent unity. Same with the colouring, the right side has the vibrant colours while the left lacks that intensity. Nonetheless, it’s a nice graphic and I love the cute idea.

Double Dutchess:

Spoiler:
    Sneek/IJlst/Hindeloopen:
    Oh picspams, love those. The first picture that draws my attention is the 5th one. The colouring is spot on and makes that cap stand out. Which is great, because it’s a huge picspam with many caps with people on it. So it’s a bit much IMO. Thanks to that one picture, there is a point to focus on. And hey, I’m a sucker for picspams with a colour gradient. So bonus points for that. ^^

&

Stoney:

Spoiler:
    IJlst:
    It looks like a poster the network could actually use to promote BtVS! Interesting choice to cut out Buffy but keep the original background. I do like the effect a lot. I might have made the upper half of Buffy a little bit darker because her hair is much lighter than the background, but otherwise the effect looks wonderful. You’ve done a great job cutting her out as well, very neat. The colouring is also a nice combination of adding drama but without making it too dark. It’s a nice poster.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (01-10-18),buffylover (02-10-18),Double Dutchess (05-10-18),holypotatoes (11-10-18),Josh (01-10-18),Priceless (01-10-18),Silver1 (01-10-18),Stoney (01-10-18)

Thanks

Wow Nina, thank you so much for the Runner Up/Special Mention - that's absolutely made my day!

The level of art in this challenge was stunning, and I know how difficult it must have been to choose a top 3, though I think the ones you picked are amazing. I'm going to steal so much from this challenge, as everyone has done such brilliant work.

I take on board all the feedback, it's constructive and really helpful. I loved this challenge, it's really helped me branch out with my art and try new things (some of which had me nearly throwing my computer through the window ) Really enjoyed it, and hope you post more challenges in the future. Thank you

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Nina (01-10-18),Stoney (01-10-18)

Thanks

So I hope that nobody feels hurt or discouraged after reading the feedback because that would be terrible.
    Not at all, brutal honesty really helps me as long as it is constructive, and your feedback was certainly constructive so I really appreciate that.

Too bad that there are some small faults with the quality of the pictures.
    Yeah, these pictures are the ones I had taken directly from the internet and not screencapped them myself. Definitely realised the perks in capping your own pictures!

In the black area between Jack and Chandler I see a lot of noise or a texture (?) that is simply a bit too bright for the wallpaper in that area.
    Yeah it was meant to be blood splatter, but when I made it blood-red it didn't look great.

It’s for me hard to understand the story you’re telling because I do not know Wentworth. Actually, it is the first time I heard about the tv-series. ^^ This might be super obvious, but why did you pick such a vibrant blue colour to dominate this graphic? It’s not really the first colour that I would link to the story you described and it’s the most prominent part of your graphic.
    Oh you definitely should watch it, it's so good! I chose the blue because all the prisoners in Wentworth wear a blue uniform. There is a lot of blue in Wentworth, and also when
    Spoiler:
    Bea is dying, it's a clear blue sky and that's when she sees the seahorse cloud.

This way there is no real focus, which makes it overwhelming to look at. Another thing to keep in mind is that a graphic with a very dark background and with loads of caps with faces on it, lead to something I call ‘the floating head syndrome’. Personally I don’t really like that effect, it’s even a bit creepy. Which might fit the subject of your graphic, but still I prefer to see sometimes more of the body of a person…
    Thank you, I will take this on board.

And did you cut out Dumbledore? Because if you did, it looks extremely neat. Well done!
    I did, thank you! However in that screencap, Dumbledore was much more dominant than the background so I managed to get a relatively easy cut.

I might have left out one of the caps with her on it though. Just to make more space for the text and the other two caps with her on it. Oh and your cap of Lizzie with her hat on is stunning.
    Yeah, I noticed this after I posted it, that the middle image of Lizzie may have been better removed.

It’s hard to read and it think that a graphic that is about the typography/text needs readable text. It’s not the colour or the size that makes it hard to read, just the font. I’ve no idea what the text says.
    Understood, I only chose the text because it had a dream-like quality to it and it fit with the theme, but if you didn't know what it was supposed to say I can see now how it can be hard to read. It says 'As the world falls down', which is the song David Bowie sings during this scene in Labyrinth.

But yes, thank you so much for your time and feedback, I really appreciate it and will take what you've said on board. And thank you for the fantastic challenge, it's been so much fun! (and stressful at times )
    Last edited by Ahm Shere; 01-10-18 at 03:16 PM.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Nina (01-10-18),Stoney (01-10-18)