Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Closed l Challenge 75: Alvestędetocht

Thanks
    Thanked 12,773 Times in 5,271 Posts

This really was a great challenge Nina and I'm sorry I didn't do it justice with more than one piece. Thank you for your such positive feedback of what was a very simple entry. I thought it might seem a bit wasteful to spend the time cutting Buffy out to not change the background but when I started playing with inserting texture layers and applying colour alterations I liked the mood the promo images' background gave when darkened up and recoloured. I did darken Buffy's hair specifically as one of the last tweaks I did, but I can see that it may have benefited from a bit more. Cutting her out so she was above the textures helped to make her pop as strong, but as everything was darkening considerably from the original shot I was worried about darkening her too far and it looking like she sank back into it too much. I'm still working often on application of contrast in my pieces and need to keep reminding myself to check and consider it, so maybe I should try a few variations at the end to directly compare before settling perhaps. Do you ever save multiple versions/copies before choosing your final piece?

Everyone did such creative pieces, it was really a fantastically rich batch. I really loved the image choices and colouring Josh used for The Greatest and Lyri's Stavoren - The Hale Pack banner just blew me away. The use of colour, text and textures on such a small canvass was just fantastic. And I loved how many Spike pieces I got to enjoy, especially DD's colourful picspam.

I really liked your Buffy piece for Workum Pricey and wondered if you named it when you saved your copy? I found that piece a really interesting combination of image, texture and colour, so I'd love to sneak more insight into your thoughts behind it, which you can sometimes gain through hearing what people named their pieces.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (05-10-18),Nina (01-10-18),thenewbuzwuzz (11-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Do you ever save multiple versions/copies before choosing your final piece?

I might have done that a few times in the past, but it's not something I do on a regular basis. But then, I'm a very lazy fanartist. If something looks decent enough, I post it... And I never save the .psd files.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (01-10-18),Stoney (01-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,576 Times in 3,623 Posts

I really liked your Buffy piece for Workum Pricey and wondered if you named it when you saved your copy? I found that piece a really interesting combination of image, texture and colour, so I'd love to sneak more insight into your thoughts behind it, which you can sometimes gain through hearing what people named their pieces.
    Thank you so much Stoney, I'm glad you liked it. I tried to keep the image simple because I knew using the tools was going to make it complicated enough. I haven't named it. I don't usually give my pieces names as such. Maybe I should? I like the image because it reminds me of Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth, a poster of which I had on my wall as a kid - it's an image I really love.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (01-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I might have done that a few times in the past, but it's not something I do on a regular basis. But then, I'm a very lazy fanartist. If something looks decent enough, I post it... And I never save the .psd files.
    I tend to archive the psd file with the final jpg. I don't like the idea of losing the option to go back in and copy a cut out or see what I used to create a background. As I tend to use my own photos to make textures I always think that I might want to reuse them, but then I seem to start from scratch again each time. I think I've reused a background once. I really should consider saving cut outs or back ground layers in a separate file, then I'd free up huge amounts of space on my archive harddrives by not keeping the psd files. They are ridiculously large, even after I've cleared out all the unused layers.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a fascinating image Pricey and I can definitely see the visual connections in the piece you produced. I think it's interesting to name a piece and I'll probably ask you to when I set a challenge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-10-18)

Thanks

I usually do save the pictures I cut out as a .png as well. That way I can use them again and share them with others.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (01-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I usually do save the pictures I cut out as a .png as well. That way I can use them again and share them with others.
    That's what I should do. Of course now it feels like it would be a huuuuge effort, to go back through the files and save any cut outs and textures from them, but it would be great to have my own resources building up and more readily available. Can I ask if there is any particular reason you save them as png files?

Thanks

As far as I know the .png files are the only kind of regular files that do not fill in a background when you save an image you have cut out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (01-10-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 441 Posts

WOW! THIRD PLACE!

Thank you so much for the award, Nina! and your opinion about my work it means a lot to me and I totally respect your thoughts and I truly enjoyed this challenge.

I thought everyone did fantastically!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (02-10-18),Nina (02-10-18),Priceless (02-10-18),Stoney (02-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Oh, wowza!! Thanks so much! How unexpected!!

And thank you so much for the feedback as well, I'll certainly keep that in mind!!
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Nina (02-10-18)

Thanks

Wow, I'm so surprised! I never thought I'd get a placement based on my entries!

Thank you so much for wonderful challenge and congratulation to everyone who participated!
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Nina (02-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 488 Posts

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Nina! I think your honesty was not brutal at all, but very helpful. I agree that I made my picspam much too busy in my attempt to tackle two cities at once. Reading your feedback on all the other entries was very useful too.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Nina (06-10-18),Stoney (06-10-18)

Thanks

For some reason I never get notifications from BF anymore, so sorry for the late post. But congrats everyone! It was fun seeing the entries come in for this challenge.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to holypotatoes For This Useful Post:

Fuzzy (11-10-18),Nina (11-10-18),Priceless (11-10-18)