Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closed l Challenge 75: Alvestędetocht

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Closed l Challenge 75: Alvestędetocht

Okay BF, it giet oan.

The Alvestędetocht/Elfstedentocht (Eleven cities tour)

Explanation:

Spoiler:
    Where I come from, the people love ice skating. Every winter we pray for a cold winter in the hope there will be ice on the lakes and canals. And we suck in every sport at the winter Olympics, except speed skating. So every four years 20 Dutchies climb the mount Olympus and we go mad. In orange of course...

Still, several great skaters have said that they would leave the Olympics for the tour of all tours: De Elfstedentocht. If the winter is cold enough, the waters in Friesland (Frisia) will be frozen and skaters can skate 200 km through the province. On their way they will skate through 11 cities. Hence the name of the tour. In every city they will get a stamp and if they finish on time, they will get a medal. Winning this tour makes you an instant ice skating legend.

The tour:

Sadly enough we have very few truly cold winters due to our climate. There has been no tour in 20 years. Which makes the tour only more special. But if one happens everybody flips, it will be live on national tv and most people will get a day off from work or school.

Some pics:

(The most recent one)

(The worst one due the cold)

(Van Benthem won the tour twice)

(Random guy named W.A. van Buren also finished in time)

Thank the lord we do not only have skaters but also a crazy swimmer. This weekend Maarten van der Weijden was swimming the complete tour. He is swimming non-stop from saturday morning (4.30 AM) till monday eve (7.30 PM). And of course we were also cheering for this mad man. He almost made it to Dokkum, but fell asleep in the water and the medical team told him to stop. So the tour remains the challenge for athletes, even now the winters are not cold enough anymore.

So I hope that clears up the name and set up of this challenge.

The Challenge:

I've come up with 11 small challenges and linked those to the 11 cities. The general idea is pushing you all to do something you've not done before. Don't worry, unlike the skaters, bikers and swimmers, you do not have to complete the whole tour to do this challenge. You're free to pick randomly which challenge (city) appeals to you. Although you'll only make it to the city of Leeuwarden if you go to all the other cities first. It's up to you which fandom/subject you pick or what kind of fanart you make. And you can hang on in a certain city if the challenge inspires you to make more than one entry. Still it would be fun if you would travel to other cities as well if you have the time and inspiration to make more than one entry.

The first ten cities:

Sneek
    Make something featuring a character (or real person) pushing the(ir) limits.

IJlst
    Make something you've never made before. If you've never made a wallscroll or a cover for a book... this is your chance. Give it a try!

Sloten
    This is the smallest city, so this challenge is about telling a story on a small canvas (500x500 or less). It's important that others can understand the story you're telling with your art without reading your explanation.

Stavoren
    Pick a tutorial and follow it (giving it your own twist of course). What kind of tutorial is up to you, but pick something ambitious.

Hindeloopen
    You are not allowed to use other resources than pictures/stills/caps and the standard brushes/patterns/gradients that come with your program. I don't want to see textures/gradients/brushes made by others.

Workum
    Most programs used to make fanart have many options and tools. Try one out you've never used before. Make sure it plays a significant role in your entry.

Bolsward
    Pick your favorite (fan)art made by somebody else and try to make something that is heavily inspired by that piece of (fan)art. Please post also the inspiration for your entry.

Harlingen
    Make something that features a story that has never been adapted for tv or the big screen. So you can't use caps or stills. Fancast, search the internet for the perfect setting, manipulate pictures etc.

Franeker
    Make something featuring a fandom/story you've never seen or read. A promo or a stunning still might catch your eye or maybe you've seen so much about that show/movie/book on sites like Tumblr that you would like to make something despite not being in the fandom...

And for the mad people that went to all these ten cities... You're allowed to go to the capital:

Leeuwarden
    Feel free to come up with a challenge for yourself.

So, get your skates, bike or clothes for swimming and good luck! I'll see you September 27 on the Bonkevaart (the finish of the tour) in Leeuwarden. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (18-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (19-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (19-08-18),Josh (18-08-18),Priceless (18-08-18),Stoney (19-08-18),TriBel (23-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,741 Times in 3,707 Posts

Just want to say this is a brilliant idea Nina!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Nina (18-08-18)

Thanks

Aw how exciting! I can’t wait to get started! Thanks for the challenge, Nina and also a bit of background on the tour. That sounds very exciting!

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Nina (18-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 506 Posts

Ooh, an Elfstedentocht challenge! That's really inspired. Great idea! Of course I have to participate in this one, but because of time issues I'm pretty sure I won't be able to reach more than one or two towns Still, I'll be putting on my skates and giving it a try.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (04-09-18),Nina (19-08-18),Stoney (19-08-18),thenewbuzwuzz (23-08-18)

Thanks

Exciting challenge! So many options, hoping to make the best of them
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Nina (19-08-18)

Thanks

Sneek - a character pushing their limits

I couldn't decide between two ideas, so I went with both

- - - Updated - - -

IJlst - something you've never made before

I've never made a wallpaper before. This one isn't great, I need to put more thought into what I'm trying to say, as this is 'Just Spuffy' and doesn't actually say much. I like the colours.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),betta (21-08-18),buffylover (19-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (19-08-18),flow (21-08-18),Josh (19-08-18),Nina (19-08-18),Silver1 (19-08-18),Stoney (19-08-18),TriBel (19-08-18)

Thanks

First entry!

Sneek - Make something featuring a character pushing their limits

To find inspiration to do this challenge, I had to delve into my Netflix library to jog my memory on what TV shows or films I could do. (Baby brain is such a bugger.) Anyway, I came across Whitechapel, which I thought would be perfect. The show (in Season 1) is about a modern-day Jack the Ripper recreating the gruesome 19th-century murders in the 21st century, and 'New Jack' makes DI Joseph Chandler his Chief Inspector Frederick Abberline. Chandler is pushed to his limit trying to solve the unsolvable, and even with the 21st-century technology and history on Chandler's side, New Jack is still as sneaky, grim and elusive as ever. I also believe he is pushed to his limit from the media, who put even more pressure on Chandler to find New Jack.

I decided to do a wallpaper for this challenge, something I'd never done before, yet something which I enjoyed as I felt I wasn't restricted by what I had to cut out or crop.

I kept the piece dark and dingy because that is what 19th century Whitechapel was, grim overpopulated slums. I also added the Dear Boss letter in my piece, which I got really excited about because I'm obsessed interested in Jack the Ripper.

Last edited by Ahm Shere; 20-08-18 at 11:46 PM.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),betta (21-08-18),buffylover (21-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Josh (21-08-18),Nina (21-08-18),Priceless (21-08-18),Stoney (21-08-18),TriBel (21-08-18)

Thanks

Wonderful challenge!

Sneek - Make something featuring a character (or real person) pushing the(ir) limits.

Well, I kept thinking about various options for this category and finally settled down on one. In helpless buffy is pushed to her limits in a most violent and disturbing way. she is forced to face a mentally ill vampire while being stripped of her powers but I'm guessing everyone knows the plot to the episode

Well, this one didn't come very easy, even though it's a completely old-fashioned wallpaper it was very hard for me to choose what kind of texturing I want for it and how I want it. I kinda wish I did it different but I'm still ok with letting things go to get the juices flowing. I'm sure I will find a solid ground, just gotta go at it.

The Greatest

Caps by me
    Textures & stocks by Zugma
    Gradients by Daydreaming
    Lyrics: The Greatest by Cat Power
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),betta (23-08-18),buffylover (21-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Nina (21-08-18),Priceless (23-08-18),Stoney (21-08-18),TriBel (22-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Franeker

Blood Dragon

(click icon for full size wallpaper)

I'll hold my hands up, I've never seen a single episode of Games of Thrones. It doesn't really seem like my cup of tea, all things considered, so it's not even on my to-watch list. But at the end of the day, I've always been a little fascinated by this character. She looks so ethereal, so pure and innocent, yet I know she's a powerful character, one strong enough to have the potential to rule a kingdom, hence the blood.

I've kept the wallpaper quite soft, but for the strong color around her lips, as I think, from my ignorant perspective, that it's a good representation of her character.

Gradients: Mine
    Textures: Black Lagoon, HisMrs, Shadow of the Day, Sunnyday, Lookslikerain
    Text: From the show (fonts from Dafont)
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (23-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Nina (22-08-18),Priceless (23-08-18),Stoney (22-08-18),TriBel (22-08-18)

Thanks

IJlst

Okay, so for this I decided to make (for the first and last time because it was so painful from start to finish... ) a moving avatar, with the dimensions of 200x200. I was a huge fan of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns (My username coming from the latter film ) That when I was 14 I watched the films every single night. Good times.

Unfortunately, I was unsure where I got the brushes from, they have now been deleted and any brushes I use from now shall be properly credited should they not be from PS itself. Same with the caps, they were from google. I know where the text was from though.

Font: DaFont.com

Sloten I've probably done this one entirely wrong though I do believe that it does tell a story...only you'd probably only get the story if you've actually watched Wentworth. So for this one, I'll post the picture first then put what it's about in spoilers. I hope you actually get the story behind the image.

Caps: Made myself
    Quote: Wentworth

Spoiler:
    Okay so obviously this is Wentworth. Bea Smith and Joan 'The Freak' Ferguson. I used two stills from the episode 'You Don't Run This Prison, I Do' S03x01. The quote was said to Bea by The Freak herself and I used it because it's ironic, since The Freak had a few seasons of being a leader, then landing in prison, then still continued to be manipulative and cause trouble. Then, at the end of Season 5 Joan was
    Spoiler:
    buried alive.
    So she certainly did reap what she sowed, since she is responsible for the
    Spoiler:
    death of Bea at the end of Season 4.

The bloody splatter also symbolises that both came to a pretty grim end. The seahorses in the background was what Bea saw moments before she died, which she thought meant she would be reunited with Allie.
    Spoiler:
    Allie survived.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (23-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Josh (23-08-18),Nina (23-08-18),Priceless (23-08-18),TriBel (23-08-18)

Thanks

Sloten - tell a story on a small canvas (500x500 or less). It's important that others can understand the story you're telling with your art without reading your explanation.

Screenshots by Priceless
    Green textured wallpaper by avante.biz
    Abstraction background by Best-wallpaper.net
    Everything else by Gimp

- - - Updated - - -

The canvas looks huge, but I did it on 500x500, so . . . not sure what happened there.

Spoiler:
    just a snapshot of what Dawn had to got through as a child, self-harm proving herself real, and the death of her mum. Not really a story so didn't really fulfil the criteria
    Last edited by Priceless; 24-08-18 at 03:59 PM.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (23-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (23-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Josh (23-08-18),Nina (23-08-18),TriBel (23-08-18)

Thanks

Harlingen

I feel like I have cheated a bit since Wicked is getting an on-screen adaption, however, it has yet to be cast and it feels like it has been in pre-production for years. We all know that The Wizard of Oz has many on-screen adaptions, but the story of the Witches of Oz is only available on stage at the moment.

Spoiler:
    And I'm going to see it for the fourth time in 35 days!

So anyway, I'm super excited for this to be on the big screen, and I still don't know who would be perfect to play Glinda, Kristin Chenoweth, my perfect Elphaba would be Anna Kendrick. I thought a lot about who could play Glinda next to Anna, and I know Emily Browning has a lovely voice, and she's innocent enough to play her. I haven't seen her in any comedic roles so whether she'd be good as Glinda, I'm unsure.

The background may be a yellow brick road, however, it is a photo from a Wizard of Oz theme park in North Carolina which has since been abandoned.

Photos: (I googled these ones.) uk.businessinsider.com, bgwall.net, 1zoom.me
    Quote: 'For Good' from Wicked
    Everything else: From Photoshop
    Last edited by Ahm Shere; 25-08-18 at 03:13 PM.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (24-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Nina (24-08-18),Priceless (24-08-18),TriBel (24-08-18)

Thanks

Stavoren - Pick a tutorial and follow it (giving it your own twist of course). What kind of tutorial is up to you, but pick something ambitious.

I decided to follow Buffylover's step by step banner tutorial in his Step By Step Thread. As you can see, his banner is absolutely gorgeous, and shows how much talent he has. I tried to follow all the instructions, but got a bit lost with the eraser/brush section, and I couldn't find anything to let me 'feather', but I am on Gimp, so I'm using that as my excuse for incompetence

Screencaps by Priceless
    Everything else by Gimp

- - - Updated - - -

Hindeloopen - You are not allowed to use other resources than pictures/stills/caps and the standard brushes/patterns/gradients that come with your program. I don't want to see textures/gradients/brushes made by others.

Screencaps by Priceless
    Everything Else by Gimp

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (24-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (24-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),flow (24-08-18),Josh (24-08-18),Nina (24-08-18),Stoney (24-08-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 455 Posts

I have chosen Lara Croft to be my first representation based on the first city Sneek "A character push to their limits". For me, the Tomb Raider reboot expanded on her characteristic and journey based on her origin story which IMO gives her an admirable determination to make a difference and become the legend which is Tomb Raider. That her naivety IMO is very distinctive and I love her compassion and dedication to prove that her father was right about the "divine source" was a pushing limit towards her character development which I tried to art.

And the quote I have respected within my work is "You don't know how far I come" which she states to Jacob in 'Rise' the second game of the 2013 reboot.

The inspiration I would love to achieve within my creativity and compositions is "editorial design". The fresh style is so unique and very minimalistic within the simplicity of a blend. The typography within this art style is very creative and imaginative as it tells the story and speech perfectly which I hope I achieved with this Tumblr art style.

I have never done (game art) before yeah for sure an illustration but not a graphics based on gameplay within a Tumblr style. So I'm not too sure if I'm killing two birds with one stone within this entry.

But let's just keep this entry at Sneek.

"You don't know how far I've come"

Credits;
    Screencaps: my XBOX DVR,
    Textures; {here} and {here} check that website full of resources {here}
    Quote: Rise Of The Tomb Raider.
    Last edited by buffylover; 25-08-18 at 09:45 PM.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (25-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),flow (25-08-18),Josh (25-08-18),Lyri (25-08-18),Nina (25-08-18),Priceless (25-08-18),Stoney (26-08-18)

Thanks

Entry 2

Stavoren

The Hale Pack

The banners/signatures on Deviantart amaze and astound me. It's like a whole different form of art. So I knew when I saw this option that I wanted to follow one of those tutorials, so I pick THIS ONE purposefully because it doesn't have a step-by-step 'use this texture and put it here like this' post. It was more of a suggestion, a process to show how this artist creates their pieces.

I admit, I found it a little backwards, starting with textures/stocks then moving on to the main focus of the piece. I'm also not a massive fan of using stocks, but I enjoyed the challenge and the end result, as you can tell, lol.

And, yes, I know that this banner doesn't exactly stick to the canon of the show, but screw Jeff Davis, he does not deserve these characters, so I'mma do what I want!!

Credits

Images: Tyler Hoechlin Daily, Holland Roden Daily, Dylan O'Brien Daily, and sorry, the other three I got from Pintrest because I couldn't find good images anywhere else, lol.

Textures/Stocks: Abbysidian @ deviantart

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (26-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (25-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),flow (25-08-18),Nina (25-08-18),Priceless (25-08-18),Stoney (26-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    Entry 2

Stavoren

The Hale Pack

The banners/signatures on Deviantart amaze and astound me. It's like a whole different form of art. So I knew when I saw this option that I wanted to follow one of those tutorials, so I pick THIS ONE purposefully because it doesn't have a step-by-step 'use this texture and put it here like this' post. It was more of a suggestion, a process to show how this artist creates their pieces.

I admit, I found it a little backwards, starting with textures/stocks then moving on to the main focus of the piece. I'm also not a massive fan of using stocks, but I enjoyed the challenge and the end result, as you can tell, lol.

And, yes, I know that this banner doesn't exactly stick to the canon of the show, but screw Jeff Davis, he does not deserve these characters, so I'mma do what I want!!

Credits

Images: Tyler Hoechlin Daily, Holland Roden Daily, Dylan O'Brien Daily, and sorry, the other three I got from Pintrest because I couldn't find good images anywhere else, lol.

Textures/Stocks: Abbysidian @ deviantart

This is brilliant, the sort of thing I can only dream of doing. I've spend hours on Deviantart looking at the gorgeous art and I did not know they did tutorials. Thank you for letting me know.

Also a really ignorant question, but when you say 'stocks' do you mean stock pictures of the actors?

Thanks

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post

Also a really ignorant question, but when you say 'stocks' do you mean stock pictures of the actors?
    No, the actor pictures are from the 'daily' sites I quoted. Stocks are generic photos, like the picture of the wolf on the right here or the stag on the left. There's also stocks of a mountain and a bridge in there. Anything like that is a stock image.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (04-09-18),Priceless (25-08-18)

Thanks

Workum - Most programs used to make fanart have many options and tools. Try one out you've never used before. Make sure it plays a significant role in your entry.

This nearly killed me. I tried to use a lot of things I'd not used before, but nothing went right and now I know why I don't use those other tools

Tools I used that I'd not used before - Scissors Select, which seemed easy and good, but left a white line around the cutout. The Heal Tool, which was good, though would only seem to work every third or fourth attempt. The Fuzzy Select Tool which just stumped me completely, even after watching several YouTube videos on the use of The Path Tool, which I gave up on because it made me cry And The Ink Tool, which I used only because I bargained with myself and forced myself to use it. My hand isn't steady enough, my writing not precise enough. The Crop Tool, which I also gave up on.

I also used Tools that I'd only used once or twice before, such as The Clone Tool. I use the Levels Tool a lot, but only ever on Auto, so this time I did it manually, and this is probably the Tool I enjoyed messing about with the most.

All this messing about lead to several different versions of the image, most of which were so bad I deleted them. This was such a good challenge because it really did challenge me, and I think it'll challenge you when you have to look at what I've produced

I'm showing two versions of the image to show how terrible I am with The Ink Tool - probably because 1. I'm not using it correctly and 2. I lack imagination and the creativity to use it better

Screencaps - Priceless
    White Textured Wallpaper - informationcommunicationtechnology.com
    Everything Else - Gimp
    Last edited by Priceless; 26-08-18 at 10:03 AM.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (26-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (26-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),flow (26-08-18),Josh (26-08-18),Lyri (27-08-18),Nina (26-08-18),Stoney (26-08-18)

Thanks

I decided to dust off Photoshop and give this one a shot. I haven't opened it in over 3 years so I'm definitely rusty, and PS kept giving me various errors and shutting down every time I was trying to add textures or text, so I eventually had to work with what I was able to get into the program and just move on. But I went with option "Franeker" and made a wallpaper for The Handmaid's Tale which I haven't watched yet but have been curious about. From my understanding it's a show where the women are in like a cult and are forced to be baby makers and like nothing else. I have no idea as I've never watched it so I could be way off base. I don't even think I've seen a trailer for it. I've only ever seen people post about it online. Anyhoo, here's my crusty rusty work.

Sources:
    Caps: screencapped.net
    Textures: Shadow of the Day; Slayground
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to holypotatoes For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (27-08-18),American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (27-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Josh (27-08-18),Lyri (27-08-18),Nina (27-08-18),Priceless (27-08-18),Stoney (27-08-18)

Thanks

Stavoren

So I tried to follow this tutorial on Daydreaming...

I need so much more practice on Photoshop.

Anyway, this is the result. I chose Misery because I've been thinking a lot about it over the last couple of days. It's one of my favourite films, Kathy Bates is perfection and I wanted to do something about it.

I also tried experimenting with text but I'm not too keen on the final text, so I also need to work on that.

Screencaps: Me
    Gradient: Me
    Last edited by Ahm Shere; 27-08-18 at 06:16 PM.

39. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (21-09-18),buffylover (27-08-18),cil_domney (04-09-18),Double Dutchess (09-09-18),Josh (27-08-18),Nina (27-08-18),Priceless (27-08-18),Stoney (27-08-18)