Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positives And Negatives - Season 2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,816 Times in 2,807 Posts

Reprise

Positive: Loved Angel and Darla's scenes, emotional and powerful. Loving this Angel actually. He really does work best when he's inhabiting the grey areas. Love the 'home office' conceit, Lindsey and Lilah are both great. Even Kate's suicide attempt works, as she's been constantly written as brittle and emotional.

Negative: Not a lot of negative here. Such a good episode. Maybe Wesley and Virginia's break-up - I've never been interested in them as a couple, so their break-up didn't matter to me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-08-18),Stoney (24-08-18),TimeTravellingBunny (26-08-18)

Thanks

Epiphany

Positive: Angel and Darla are always a treat. Angel trying to re-connect with Wesley is sweet and funny, and Wes isn't giving him an inch. Nice to see Angel humbled and conciliatory and I enjoyed the 'I got ya' little bit of Cangel Really good episode, would have been great without the inbuilt sexism

Negative: Lorne's 'You think you're the first guy who ever rolled over, saw what was lying next to him and went 'Guyeah!' just sounded so sexist and horrible. I wish he's said 'person' instead of 'guy'. Once again Cordy is being threatened with demon impregnation.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-08-18),TimeTravellingBunny (26-08-18)

Thanks

Disharmony

Positive: This was a really great episode about the complexity of Cordy. She's passed over as boss,(even thought she was there first and Wes is injured) She doesn't see herself as a 'detective', more an office manager, but she also reliving her glory days with Harmony (they are wonderful together) and talking about how she's changed, how happy she is and talks about the 'work I'm doing . . . that we're doing', undervaluing herself. She seems, when compared to Harmony, to have grown so much, yet at the end of the ep she becomes the old Cordy when faced with someone giving her presents. Just love all these aspects of Cordy.

Negative: Didn't like the faux-lesbian misunderstanding and Cordy's horror played for laughs.

- - - Updated - - -

Dead End

Positive: The scenes between Lindsey and Angel are great. Love Angel's jealousy and Lindsey's childlike tantrum later. There is great chemistry between these two. They bring out the worst in each other and it's fun to watch.

Negative: Felt like poor Cordy's having women's problems, having feelings and the men in the office just don't know how to handle them. The visions as PMS. They can't even talk to her like she's part of the team, an equal, they behave like she's being over emotional and is somehow separate from them. They actually appear really pathetic. It should be sweet when Angel turns up with the food, but really, it's like buying her clothes last episode, it's separating her, making her different. Cordy is the most important resource they have, but they don't treat her like that, and she doesn't know how important she is.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-08-18),thenewbuzwuzz (01-09-18),TimeTravellingBunny (28-08-18)

Thanks

Judgement
    Positive: Lorne.
    Negative: The case with the pregnant woman is not really interesting.

Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been
    Positive: Everything.
    Negative: Kind of a nitpick, but no one in the hotel ever wonders what happen to Angel's body after they hung him.

First Impressions
    Positive: The Angel and Darla dream scenes.
    Negative: Everything else.

Untouched
    Positive: First appearance of Gunn's hubcap ax.
    Negative: This episode pretty much feel's like filler. It does nothing to advance the season's story line. Bethany's Dad coming to a sudden stop four feet from the ground is pretty goofy.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lostsoul666 For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (29-08-18),Priceless (29-08-18),Stoney (30-08-18),TimeTravellingBunny (29-08-18)

Thanks

Belonging

Positive: Angel's pleasure at being on the set was so sweet, foreshadowing what is to come. Lorne is always a pleasure and it's fun to get some backstory for him. Love the way he describes Angel's perfect world.

Negative: Not sure how we're meant to feel about Angel stepping up to the commercial director, who was an absolute *******, but it wasn't his place. Then Angel, Gunn and Wes all take a moment to enjoy the visualisation of Cordy in a bikini - making their friend nothing more than an object. All this plays into the problems Cordy's had over the last few episodes, and here she's made to feel less because she can't get the job she wants without showing off her body and isn't doing an important job like the 'boys' playing detectives, and she's already said she feels like the office manager, and once again she asks 'why does everyone always ask me if I'm okay?' Cordy is so strong, and she's struggling in this world.

I just don't know if the writers mean to highlight Cordy's problems, or I'm just seeing stuff that isn't there. Or time has changed the meaning of what's on screen. So really this negative could also be considered a positive I think it must be meant because in an episode about belonging, and Cordy's felt like she hasn't belonged for a while now, she ends up in another dimension, in a world that embraces her for who she is and she finally gets to belong (I know it doesn't end well, but unfortunately that's Cordy's lot in life - it never ends well)

I've never watched AtS through Cordy's eyes before, making her the central character, and it really opens the show up and makes me think about it in ways I never have before. So I guess my only real negative is that I really don't care about Wesley's daddy issues or that Gunn is growing apart from his crew.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (31-08-18)

Thanks

Over The Rainbow

Positive:Angel being so gleeful about being in the sun is just great and Lorne hating being back in his home dimension is so much fun, 'your standard film noir'.

Negative: Is her name 'Frankie'? The friend of Lornes who suddenly appears and can find a portal, which seems very fortunate, like she's the therapists therapist. I don't think we see her again do we?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-09-18),Stoney (05-09-18)

Thanks

Through The Looking Glass

Positive: Angel's pleasure at seeing his reflection is great, but then the twist is that his demon face is different in this world, and he's not able to control himself. That all works really well. Special mention for Lorne and his family, they were gold.

Negative: Cordy should kick these moogs to the curb pronto. Gunn's line 'She's the messiah' make me want to smash his face in She's got the visions from TPB, what have you got? A pick-up truck you conned a demon for? And as Cordy says herself 'why do demons in every dimension want to impregnate me' - it's funny, but it's also annoying that the only thing the writers can think to do to put the main female character in jeopardy is the threat of impregnation - and then they have her questioning herself 'Do I put out some sort of comshuck vibe?'

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (07-09-18),Stoney (05-09-18)

Thanks

There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

Positive: When Lorne's decapitated head starts talking, so funny. I like that Cordy calls the visions an honour, and rescues herself at last. Willow's appearance at the end bought a lump to my throat.

Negative: I'm not a fan of Groo, he never questions the monks, he doesn't seem capable of running anything, never mind a country. Gunn's final speech makes me cringe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-09-18)

Thanks

Dear Boy
    Positive: Pretty great episode. I especially love the plot twist that Darla was brought back as a human.
    You have Angel who might become human again someday cause of the Shanshu Prophecy, and here's Darla who has what Angel wants, and she doesn't appreciate the fact that she has a second chance.

Negative: Lindsey and Darla's plan to frame Angel for murder feels pretty pointless.
    Also the case with the husband thinking that his wife is getting abducted by aliens is really stupid.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lostsoul666 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-09-18),Stoney (22-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,868 Times in 4,435 Posts

Well I've just started rewatching S2 so I'm back to add to the single effort I made when Pricey first went through this one.

Judgement

Positive - I like seeing Wes developing with the gained confidence that truly being wanted/accepted finally has given him. He's gained a touch of competence with it, but is still trying to push it that little bit more, so he still makes a bit of a fool of himself in the bar too. His knowledge of the demon community in LA, his awareness of Merle and Caritas, fits to the demon hunter image he was trying to build before. Knowing the underworld and about pivotal places and people that could aid them. It fits the detective aspect too, greatly research based but about wanting to be of practical help as well. Seeing that side of him emerging naturally when he is feeling at ease is great.

Negative - I enjoy this episode and although I'd never say it was a favourite I genuinely find it really hard to pick a negative. Any that I think of I then reason them away for myself. I'll go with the fact that the show uses so much stereotyping with Gunn's character that while seeing Cordelia getting in a fluster when she does that when Gunn arrives is funny, it's inclusion just makes me feel that the writers don't see how much they do this themselves constantly. I'd like to think that it is actually there because they realised on reflection of S1 and wrote it in deliberately 'at' themselves, but the ongoing reoccurrence of this makes me wonder still.

--
    Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been is the single ep I did last time (and is my personal favourite) so I won't be back to this for possible over a week when I get on to episode 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Why didn't the pregnant woman tell Angel that the demon was her friend before he killed him? She just stood there, silent, she should have opened her mouth. Her stupidity was used to further the story, but it was too unbelievable.
    I just assumed that she thought Angel was an enemy. So from her point of view she was watching her protector protecting her. Angel tells her he is not a threat himself when he first arrives but the Prio demon then attacks him so she might believe that her bodyguard knows better and is doing his job. So it would have been strange if she was yelling to Angel to not hurt the demon when she thinks it is fighting to keep her safe against him I think.

I agree with previous negative comments that the pregnant woman storyline lacks.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (13-11-18),Priceless (13-11-18)

Thanks

I just assumed that she thought Angel was an enemy. So from her point of view she was watching her protector protecting her. Angel tells her he is not a threat himself when he first arrives but the Prio demon then attacks him so she might believe that her bodyguard knows better and is doing his job. So it would have been strange if she was yelling to Angel to not hurt the demon when she thinks it is fighting to keep her safe against him I think.
    Yes, I think you are right, she must think Angel is there to hurt her. But I still find it worrying that she says nothing. It plays into the damselling that AtS does a lot in its early episodes, where the woman need rescuing and says or does little to help herself.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (13-11-18)