Thread: James Gunn

Thanks
    Thanked 8,692 Times in 4,179 Posts

Default James Gunn

What is really happening with James Gunn. What did he joke about? Why should or shouldn't he get sacked? Do you support him? it seems like every cast member of Guardians of the Galaxy support him, but then who'd be that one person to say 'err . . . actually I think he should go'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

He made a lot of jokes about peadophila and sexual assault. They were made over ten years ago and he has apologized for them in the past, when they first came to light.

I don't know if he should be fired, that's not for me to say or judge, but a lot of people have done and said worse and still have their job, and I would like to point out that apparently, the guy who went digging for these tweets and brought them to light, actually has a whole lot worse on his Twitter than James Gunn ever did.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (30-07-18)

Thanks

What was he doing when he made these jokes? Was he working for the same company and doing the same job? Anyone know any of these jokes - can you repeat them?

Thanks

I think he shouldn't have been fired considering that the jokes were made ten years ago, which he already apologised for. I believe he was truly sorry for what he'd written, and understands what he did was wrong.

Being from the UK, I'm not sure of the US justice system, but from what I understand, you can't even be tried from a crime that happened over ten years ago due to the Statute of Limitations...so why fire someone over something that happened over ten years ago? It just doesn't make sense to me.

As Lyri said, people have done much worse and still have their jobs. (See Roman Polanski, although he can't ever enter the US.)

So yes, I do believe he should be given his job back.

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (31-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    What was he doing when he made these jokes? Was he working for the same company and doing the same job? Anyone know any of these jokes - can you repeat them?
    He wasn't working for Disney back then.

Thanks

So... last I looked saying bad stuff isn't usually a criminal matter.

That said, depends on WHAT he said as to what his future should be.

It also depends on who he is now. The strong support he's getting from cast and others involved in the project suggest that they cannot reconcile the person they know with whatever was said.

I think everyone has made a joke that could be shaded as inappropriate in some corner of the world. I am not defending him since i have no idea what he said. I am simply MULLING.

As a survivor of child sex abuse AKA rape, I am not fond of people joking about it. But I'm a person of a dark sort of humor and may well have said something funny/sick about it at some point. I made jokes when my life partner died... it's what he'd have wanted -- he was an aspiring stand up comedian -- it made me feel closer to him and helped me deal. I got some very odd reactions to my 'dead boyfriend jokes', however. Then again, they were a safety valve and I was joking as the injured party. Hard for others to be offended, though some probably were to a degree.

So jokes... come in different flavors. whether he gets the job back depends on whether he was (a) celebrating rape of children (b) blaming the victim or whether he was trying for ironic and simply lost the bubble. Jokes about complicated stuff often go wrong, even when told by sympathetic people. If he made a joke about a pedophile somehow getting away with things (again), he'd probably get a pass from me. If he demonstrates a patent disregard for victims... not so much. Content matters.

Context also matters... and part of context is who he was at that time in his life - and his age. We are seldom wise when you, and sometimes, when we're young and drunk we get extra stupid. It doesn't excuse it, but maybe it shouldn't follow him like a millstone forever either.

I dug up one of my college English papers once. It had a vigorous defense of a political stance I strongly oppose now. Don't remember why I wrote it, or even if that was what I believed then. But were I on the short track for the supreme court, that paper might be used as evidence for or against me. It is diametrically opposed to who I am today (and have been for a long time). Did I write it because I was supporting the opposing view, or as an exercise? No idea. Thirty years have passed.

I am against bad people getting away with bad things. I'm not so much for stupid youth leading to the destruction of someone's future when the harm they caused was somewhere between minimal and and nil. The internet often doesn't differentiate those well.

Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 31-07-18 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

I have only seen two of the so-called bad tweets, and I won't repeat them here. They are something that I do find disgusting and not something to joke about or even talk about, even in this kind of context. Also, I have heard that there were literally thousands of tweets of this inappropriate nature. That being said, the tweets I did see, they were more of a hypothetical nature. They weren't about anyone specific or aimed at any one person.

Whether or not that makes what he did better or worse is not for me to decide.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks

If these tweets are 10 years old, Gunn was 41 at the time, hardly a young man. I doubt it's personal growth that's made him change his views, and more about growth of his bank account But we all need a catalyst for change, so no judgement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,278 Posts

As far as I understand it, James Gunn's tweets at the time were a part of his persona when he worked for Troma Entertainment, an independent movie company specializing in gore, splatter and shock-humor, and directed movies for them like Tromeo and Juliet, which were in that vein. That artistic style and type of 'humor' doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy, but it was a well known part of his work at the time.

What's ridiculous about the whole thing is that this is absolutely nothing new. Disney must have been well aware of his previous work and style, and so was probably anyone in the public who ever followed his career (I did not, but even retroactively, it must be super easy to find that info, and I'm sure people who were following his career - and that probably includes those in Disney who decided to hire him or advised hiring him in the first place). Getting suddenly 'shocked' and 'outraged' at his bad tweets from 10 years ago is like getting 'outraged' by suddenly discovering that John Waters' movies are often offensive and in bad taste (because, duh, they were meant to be!).

It seems like it was all about Disney covering their behinds after a media campaign started by an alt-righter who was trying to find an easy target among anti-Trump celebrities and pull the "well they fired Rosanne Barr, why not him"? card. This article explains the context of this: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...irector-tweets

In the meantime, the cast is fully supportive of Gunn: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...-karen-gillan/ We'll see if that will change things.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (01-08-18)

Thanks

Janes Gunn is now in talks to write/direct Suicide Squad 2. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've also read a view re the tweets from 10 years ago, and that if Gunn were a Republican/right wing, social media would be calling for his head, and it's only that he's Democrat/left wing, that people are defending him (on social media) and that's hypocrisy.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,278 Posts

Janes Gunn is now in talks to write/direct Suicide Squad 2. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've also read a view re the tweets from 10 years ago, and that if Gunn were a Republican/right wing, social media would be calling for his head, and it's only that he's Democrat/left wing, that people are defending him (on social media) and that's hypocrisy.
    Really? Do you know any Republicans or right wing people who have recently been fired for tweets from 10 years ago that everyone knew about or could have known about all along?

It's funny that they are trying to claim that and using the word "hypocrisy", when the only reason he was targeted were his political views.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (10-10-18),vampmogs (10-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Really? Do you know any Republicans or right wing people who have recently been fired for tweets from 10 years ago that everyone knew about or could have known about all along?

It's funny that they are trying to claim that and using the word "hypocrisy", when the only reason he was targeted were his political views.
    Nope, I know no-one. But I'm not American, I'm only on social media, and I follow a lot of left-wing/(American) Democrats, who I usually agree with. But this James Gunn thing did seem a little hypocritical to me, and I do think that if he were a right-winger, the people I follow would have buried him by now

Maybe I should just follow different people

Thanks
    Thanked 9,186 Times in 2,789 Posts

Nope, I know no-one. But I'm not American, I'm only on social media, and I follow a lot of left-wing/(American) Democrats, who I usually agree with. But this James Gunn thing did seem a little hypocritical to me, and I do think that if he were a right-winger, the people I follow would have buried him by now

Maybe I should just follow different people
    It was the alt right who waged this campaign against Gunn in the first place. The same people who support the president despite his outrageous tweets over the years and despite the president boasting about committing sexual assault on tape. The same people who defended Ron Moore who was accused of *actually* assaulting minors. None of these people cared about Gunn's tweets , they just used it to score a "hit" against him for his political views.

Whilst I'm sure there's some hypocrisy by some people on the left the majority of democrats I interact with condemned Gunn and were happy to see him fired. However, it obviously makes a great deal of people uncomfortable that he was fired because of the campaign waged against him against the alt right who, really, didn't care about the content of his tweets at all but rather just used it to their advantage.

Gunn was fired for tweets he made 10 years ago which his employer new about at the time they hired him. He's paid for his mistakes. Meanwhile, Trump sits as president of the united states despite his tweets and despite being a sexual predator. I'd dare anyone to seriously argue that there's a double-standard against republicans...
    Last edited by vampmogs; 10-10-18 at 12:34 PM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

bespangled (10-10-18),Lyri (10-10-18),Priceless (10-10-18),Silver1 (10-10-18),TimeTravellingBunny (10-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    It was the alt right who waged this campaign against Gunn in the first place. The same people who support the president despite his outrageous tweets over the years and despite the president boasting about committing sexual assault on tape. The same people who defended Ron Moore who was accused of *actually* assaulting minors. None of these people cared about Gunn's tweets , they just used it to score a "hit" against him for his political views.

Whilst I'm sure there's some hypocrisy by some people on the left the majority of democrats I interact with condemned Gunn and were happy to see him fired. However, it obviously makes a great deal of people uncomfortable that he was fired because of the campaign waged against him against the alt right who, really, didn't care about the content of his tweets at all but rather just used it to their advantage.

Gunn was fired for tweets he made 10 years ago which his employer new about at the time they hired him. He's paid for his mistakes. Meanwhile, Trump sits as president of the united states despite his tweets and despite being a sexual predator. I'd dare anyone to seriously argue that there's a double-standard against republicans...
    You can say he's paid for his mistakes, I guess he has, by being fired. But now he's in talks with DC, and good luck to him. I have no animosity towards him at all. I don't care what his employers knew or didn't know about it. Roseanne Barr's employers knew about her racist views, and still employed her. I don't think we can look to massive conglomerates who simply want to make money, to tell us what is right and wrong in this world.

My argument is that the left defend James Gunn a lot (at least on twitter), but a lot of right wingers who do and say incredibly stupid and hurtful things are hammered by the left. I understand that the left and right support their own, I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of it. If the left cleaned house prior to attacking the right, the world would be a whole lot better of.

Trump is an insane monster created mostly by the media. But he got elected because Clinton was seen as too corrupt to appeal to the majority, and the other left candidates were, politically, too scary to get elected.

You obviously follow a different kind of democrat than myself. The people I follow are movie buffs, so perhaps their arguments aren't even political but based on a love of film

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (10-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,103 Times in 809 Posts

I think the real difference is that Gunn's tweets were from 10 years ago. He acknowledged that they were wrong and he apologized - even before they were brought to light. It's not about his politics - it's about his acceptance of personal responsibility.

Roseanne Barr was hired even though her past was known. Hell, she appeared in a sketch as Hitler baking people shaped cookies in an oven. That was not why she was fired. After a rising flurry of offensive tweets - for which she apologized after each - she was fired for saying an aide of Obama - a black woman - was the child of an ape and the Muslim Brotherhood. Yes - sexist, racist, and islamaphobic as well as political. There's really no comparison between the two.

IMO, if someone die something stupid, acknowledges and apologizes they should get a pass. If it happens again is the real test.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (11-10-18),TimeTravellingBunny (11-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,132 Times in 997 Posts

It's so hard to weigh in on a side without all the facts. Disney wants a wholesome image. I'm kind of okay with them letting someone go that they don't want representing their brand. Perhaps the real wrong here is they didn't investigate James gunn more before hiring him. Maybe they felt James misrepresented himself during hiring. Who is to really know?

Im with bespangeled that people should be given a pass for long ago offenses, especially if done when very young or when standards were different. I don't think kavanagh should have gotten the job, not so much because he was just another teenage miscreant but because he didn't have the balls to say he was sorry and that he would never condone that behavior now. Maybe as a middle aged father of two girls he will treat women better now But if he can't own his school year behavior which has been substantiated by some witnesses is there really any hope or reason to believe he's changed?

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (11-10-18),Stoney (11-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,103 Times in 809 Posts

Oh, the sad irony when the bar for a Supreme Court justice is lower than that of a Disney employee.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (11-10-18),Priceless (11-10-18),TimeTravellingBunny (11-10-18),TriBel (11-10-18),vampmogs (11-10-18)

Thanks

Kavanaugh can't stand up and apologise because what he did is illegal and he would be arrested and charged, or at least I hope he would. He has to keep denying to keep himself out of prison or at least end up with a criminal record, and then no seat on the bench for him.