Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone used to be on BW Forum?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,092 Times in 2,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    And the resurrection happened because of Priceless, who, in the beginning of this year, started posting a lot of threads, which incentivated people to join, return or be more active on the forum!
    Thank you for the mention It was definitely a joint effort, with everyone on the board really participating, including yourself betta. If everyone started one thread a day, the place would be rocking

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (04-08-18),betta (03-08-18),flow (03-08-18),GoSpuffy (03-08-18),Silver1 (03-08-18),SpuffyGlitz (03-08-18),Stoney (03-08-18),TriBel (03-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 543 Posts

I found LJ about ten years ago. I knew about fandom because I was in the ST-TOS fandom when it invented television fandom. Without the internet they organized a mail campaign against the first cancellation, and the network reversed their decision. I was still a kid so I didn't do much. But I knew enough to look for a fandom, and some of my very favorite fanfic authors were there. I was so starstruck. This fandom has the best fanfic authors. Oh, and there are many ships - tumblr atleast has a lot of Faith/Buffy. Spander is still healthy though Spangel is drooping (sob). There's a lot of new ships out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I feel there is a story behind this?
    I was kicked off because I blew up at a poster who actually said that JM adopted his niece in order to molest her. They were not even warned. I'd actually tried to befriend this person, and later they bragged on the forum about how they suckered me in and trolled me. They like to post accusation that JM and Joss were intent on raping SMG - that she was constantly molested on set. Oh, and that Spike anally raped Buffy in the balcony scene. The trolling worked...once they moved on to defaming JM I didn't hold back

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I don't care if people criticize Buffy-Boards. I have my own problems with the place. But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.

Also, I find the "echo chamber" comments a little silly, given how few Bangel-positive people post here. (And the few who do barely touch those arguments.)
    I was booted because one of the mods did not like me and she decided she wanted me out of there. This was confirmed by another mod who I remained friendly with for a bit. When I came on there was a mod who used to shout and curse Spike fans in his posts. I had been a mod on a political board before politics became this toxic, so I talked to the BB mods and they stripped him of his role after a few more outbursts. I was blamed for that from the start.

That board has at least one person who likes to post crap about Spike, Spuffy, and most of all Spike fans. There were other who joined in. Spike fans were regularly attacked - as a group - and none of the mods objected. He and I argued - we even had a session with the mods because he kept going off on me. But he was an old poster and a friend of the mods. Throughout this whole process even the mods would explain to me that Spike fans were impossible. It was bizarre. Of course no one knew what to do with me since I ship Spangel.

I assume this was all held against me. Then they had an April Fools joke that they were no longer going to allow any Spuffy posts. People who believed it and got upset were punished for not showing loyalty to the board. The sad thing is that I like a lot of people, and had fun there - but the place just started diving downhill. Silver1 was banned for not having the right computer, and I objected. And then the JM accusation and my refusal to apologize. It wsn't worth staying. Too bad - I really like some people there!

There is no behavior like that here - that's the main difference I find. There are no personal attacks, attacks on groups of fans, and no flaming people. I would love to have more Bangel fans here - it's a safe place to share. I am probably the only Spangel shipper here but I know others who do not ship Spuffy. It's a pretty broad population. We self impose a certain standard and live by it - dest board I have ever been on.

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    And the resurrection happened because of Priceless, who, in the beginning of this year, started posting a lot of threads, which incentivated people to join, return or be more active on the forum!
    Don't forget yourself and SosLola who kept pushing us tumblr folks here - slippery slope to a great place.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

betta (04-08-18),GoSpuffy (04-08-18),Priceless (04-08-18),Silver1 (04-08-18),Stoney (04-08-18)

Thanks

I was kicked off because I blew up at a poster who actually said that JM adopted his niece in order to molest her. They were not even warned. I'd actually tried to befriend this person, and later they bragged on the forum about how they suckered me in and trolled me. They like to post accusation that JM and Joss were intent on raping SMG - that she was constantly molested on set. Oh, and that Spike anally raped Buffy in the balcony scene. The trolling worked...once they moved on to defaming JM I didn't hold back
    I remember this happening, I'd only recently joined the board and was quite shocked. Especially that he Mods did nothing to warn that poster. I can testify that that particular poster is still on BB and posting the same sort of accusations, or was upto when I left last year. I personally think that they are ill, as they are quite obsessed by the same thoughts, almost fixated on them. But being ill doesn't preclude you also being an *******.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (04-08-18),betta (04-08-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 839 Posts

Oh god that brings it allllllllllll back.

The gag the mods liked to do the most (and still do apprantly) is leap into a fairly civil debate and announce so and so (somebody they're gunning for) is being rude to the other party and warn them over basically nothing. They will then keep tabs on you and dive into nearly every post picking up on the slightest thing (and by god I do mean slight) until they declare 'you've gone too far' and ban you. Funny how 9 outta 10 times it was Spike fans. I know that all sounds petty, but unless you've lived it you don't know how depressing an atmosphere that rapidly creates.

Gotta say the board owner alone is poison imo.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (04-08-18),betta (04-08-18),Priceless (04-08-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

I can testify that that particular poster is still on BB and posting the same sort of accusations, or was upto when I left last year.
    No that idiot is sadly still there posting garbage. It's no exaggeration to say they come across as being unnaturally fixated and appear to have 'issues' shall we say.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (04-08-18),betta (04-08-18),Priceless (04-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    No that idiot is sadly still there posting garbage. It's no exaggeration to say they come across as being unnaturally fixated and appear to have 'issues' shall we say.
    In a way it's good that BB give him a home to vent his feelings, or he could he here, which no-one wants

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (04-08-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

No but at least people here would be able to tell him what they really thought of their nonsense, without a mod banning them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

betta (04-08-18),Priceless (04-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,046 Posts

grace
    But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.
    That is actually true. I never felt we had shipper wars over there. It wasn`t Bangels against Spuffies. There were a lot of Bangels on the board and probably are still but they were mostly about loving their ship not about hating something else.

The people who spilled venom on the other board were almost all either non-shippers or they shipped different ships. But they did not focus on what they love about the show but on what they hate about the show. And that was always Spike, Spuffy and sesaons 6 and seven. Bangel was always off-limits. That made the board look so much more Bangel-friendly.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (04-08-18),betta (04-08-18),GoSpuffy (04-08-18),Priceless (04-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    The people who spilled venom on the other board were almost all either non-shippers or they shipped different ships.
    That's true, but if the Bangels agree with them, giving them so much love and approbation...

But they did not focus on what they love about the show but on what they hate about the show. And that was always Spike, Spuffy and sesaons 6 and seven. Bangel was always off-limits. That made the board look so much more Bangel-friendly.

flow
    That's the biggest problem: the unfair treatment (I mean, haters are the biggest problem, but if they were dealt satisfactorily...)

People are allowed to say the most despicable things about Spuffy and Spike; they can even offend fans freely: you have silly opinions (that was said to me, and it wasn't the worst), what you are saying is ridiculous (two posters ganged up on a Spike fan, belittling her opinion), I have morals (meaning, and you don't), your writing is terrible no matter if your mother language isn't English (this didn't happen to me but to someone else who had difficulty with their text), JM is a pervert (I wonder if it would be OK to talk about David Boreanaz's real harassment accusations or the fact he is a cheating husband) etc. And try to say something just not nice about Bangel - You don't need to bash other ships to make yours look better!!! - or dare to defend your ship, or yourself: You are a bully!
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (04-08-18),Priceless (04-08-18),Silver1 (04-08-18),SpuffyGlitz (05-08-18)