Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL:Buffy Reboot - Monica Owusu-Breen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 800 Posts

6 Differences Between Reboots and Remakes

Thought it might be worth looking up since NB made the distinction.

First and foremost, “remake” is a definitive title. A studio buys the rights to a movie that was already made, and they make it again. “Reboot”, on the other hand, is less clear. The Amazing Spider-Man was considered a reboot, which seems obvious, but so was Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Neither movie was really a remake of the original movie, but both Ghost Rider movies starred Nicolas Cage. In that case, it was considered a reboot because it was a complete re-branding of the series. It mostly ignored the first, but still could have fit within its continuity. The point is, there’s never a debate as to whether a movie is remake.

Mad Max: Fury Road rebooted the Mad Max franchise, but it totally doesn’t work as a sequel. It’s not just that Max is played by a different actor, but his origin story is different. Some remakes, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, might take a lot of liberties with the original source, but they still tell basically the same story. A group of teens goes to Texas to get massacred. There you are, go home, work is done. The Amazing Spider-Man was nothing like Spider-Man, aside from generic details like “Peter Parker is bitten by a spider”. That makes reboots more exciting than remakes — you don’t know what’s going to happen.

Good article, since I had no idea what the distinction is. Apparently a reboot is just bringing the world back to life in some way - while a remake is bringing the actual show back with changes. Not sure if that clears up a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

The Matrix reboot isn’t a remake: Here’s the difference between the two

The terms remake and reboot get thrown around together, and people often assume they mean the same thing. There is a pretty big distinction between the two, however, and it’s important to note that Warner Bros. isn’t planning on remaking the original film.

A good example of a remake is the most recent version of Beauty and the Beast. Although live-action, the film tells the exact same story and features the same characters. There have been slight changes made, but the essential parts of the story have been kept the same. The 2014 Godzilla film, however, is the definition of a reboot. Although the central theme is the same — the monster, Godzilla, is attacking humanity — the majority of characters are different, as is the setting and dialogue.

To recap: A reboot is defined by those in the industry as a complete rebranding of a specific title or IP. A remake is defined as a complete retelling of the same story and characters that a studio buys the rights to
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-07-18),Silver1 (21-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (22-07-18),Stoney (22-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,848 Posts

For anything that could correctly be called a "reboot" this is virtually no chance that this version has a name other than Buffy Summers; or if it is a variant, that there certainly won't have ever been some other Buffy Summers in her story setting. I know what it is you are saying you want, but it is in no way implied by the word "reboot" (which is really just the newspeak for "remake"), and would instead be a spinoff or continuation. None of this media remotely implies they are making "Buffyverse: The Next Generation," they are making a new "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and that is who the title character will be. Welcome to the AU; wear a cup.

Am I the only one that is gonna try fancasting? For shame.

Banner by LRae12

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (23-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,443 Times in 4,071 Posts

Am I the only one that is gonna try fancasting? For shame.
    What is fancasting?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    I would not call Lost lower drawer. Though she only has a supervising credit for 8 episodes in Season 3 and a co-writer credit on one episode, a stronger one. Coincidentally with the death of a black male character although the actor wanted off the show rather then it being what the showrunners had intended.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Monica_Owusu-Breen

Oh god she did Lost? Christ this just gets worse and worse.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (22-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    What is fancasting?
    Just brainstorming who you would want to see in what roles. Casting by fans, or if you would rather, fantasy casting.

Banner by LRae12

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 399 Posts

Just a thought. With cale or streaming we're probably looking at 10-13 episodes, at max 16. So "filler" like Hush won't happen. On the other hand filler like Doublemeat Palace won't happen. Conflicted.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 777 Posts

bespangled
    To recap: A reboot is defined by those in the industry as a complete rebranding of a specific title or IP. A remake is defined as a complete retelling of the same story and characters that a studio buys the rights to
    Ah. OK - this helps clarify things. I feel better now - thanks for sharing!
    buffylover made this stunning banner

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

bespangled (22-07-18),Stoney (22-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,440 Times in 5,577 Posts

Well I hope that they do mean a reboot vs a remake (thanks for that explanation bespangled), I hope it is within those parameters because a remake is definitely not what I'd like. Which is why I don't have enthusiasm for fancasting, sorry King. I don't want to see anyone else play the existing roles and desperately hope they will do new characters.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (22-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    Just a thought. With cale or streaming we're probably looking at 10-13 episodes, at max 16. So "filler" like Hush won't happen. On the other hand filler like Doublemeat Palace won't happen. Conflicted.
    I'm amazed you think they are going to get to a Season 6 and it will be exactly the same as the original season 6. There will most likely be no Spike and no depression, if they even make it to a sixth

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Just brainstorming who you would want to see in what roles. Casting by fans, or if you would rather, fantasy casting.
    You should start a thread . . .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (22-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm amazed you think they are going to get to a Season 6 and it will be exactly the same as the original season 6. There will most likely be no Spike and no depression, if they even make it to a sixth
    I just picked names of a few filler episodes I liked or didn't like, not that they'd make it that far or be exact copies; just that less episodes has good and bad aspects given this is for cable or streaming and won't get the 22 episodes of the old show.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-07-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

I don't really care what it's going to be. I guess a remake could serve for cheap, ephemeral amusement? Awkward writing "correcting" the original and every here and now placing meta-textual "honorings", to placate friend and enemy, ought to be unintentually funny.

Re: reboot: As long as they keep the old premise it'll be a cow living on a withered meadow. Maybe I can see it working if the new show is going to be self-aware about being recycled (and what the massive rehashings of old material mean in context of us and society) and deliberately deconstructs itself before metamorphosing into something different. *That* would be the beginning of a progressive approach.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

flow (22-07-18),Priceless (22-07-18),TriBel (22-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,954 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kartoffel View Post
    I don't really care what it's going to be. I guess a remake could serve for cheap, ephemeral amusement? Awkward writing "correcting" the original and every here and now placing meta-textual "honorings", to placate friend and enemy, ought to be unintentually funny.

Re: reboot: As long as they keep the old premise it'll be a cow living on a withered meadow. Maybe I can see it working if the new show is going to be self-aware about being recycled (and what the massive rehashings of old material mean in context of us and society) and deliberately deconstructs itself before metamorphosing into something different. *That* would be the beginning of a progressive approach.
    Given I can quite easily imagine Season 12 ending on a similar note then that would suit me fine. D'you think the world is ready for this? I'm not convinced fandom is. I can see it upsetting a lot of people.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (22-07-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Given I can quite easily imagine Season 12 ending on a similar note then that would suit me fine. D'you think the world is ready for this? I'm not convinced fandom is. I can see it upsetting a lot of people.
    Well, how's Star Wars fandom doing these days?

Seriously though, if I had my druthers -- and I wanted the show to be truly progressive and not just labeled as such -- I'd change perspective and take the story into the medium-dated future, around 30-50 years, extrapolated from the present, emphatically not a dystopian Frayverse but something utopic, yet realistic. A bit like what Star Trek was in context of Cold War. The world needs positive visions of the future more than anything else.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

TriBel (22-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kartoffel View Post
    Well, how's Star Wars fandom doing these days?

Seriously though, if I had my druthers -- and I wanted the show to be truly progressive and not just labeled as such -- I'd change perspective and take the story into the medium-dated future, around 30-50 years, extrapolated from the present, emphatically not a dystopian Frayverse but something utopic, yet realistic. A bit like what Star Trek was in context of Cold War. The world needs positive visions of the future more than anything else.
    So...a functioning utopia rather than a true utopia - an eutopia? Interesting because I always thought that was what Whedon set out to do with Spuffy. I always read Twilight as an example of a premature utopia. This is a quote I always go back to (nicked from Terry Eagleton): "premature utopianism grasps instantly for the future, projecting itself by an act of will or imagination beyond the compromised political structures of the present. By failing to attend to those forces or fault lines within the present that, developed or prised open in particular ways, might induce that condition to surpass itself into a future, such utopianism is in danger of persuading us to desire uselessly rather than feasibly, and so, like the neurotic, to fall ill of instaunchable longing". Spuffy, I thought, "prised open fault lines" (fitting given Sunnydale disappeared into an abyss).

Bear in mind this was theoretical - I'm crap at plot and plot scenarios. . What I think happened was RL - the world changed round him (Whedon - not Spike). And don't mention fandoms to me...I didn't know fandoms existed until 12 months ago (I've lead a very sheltered life ).

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (22-07-18),Priceless (22-07-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    So...a functioning utopia rather than a true utopia - an eutopia? Interesting because I always thought that was what Whedon set out to do with Spuffy. I always read Twilight as an example of a premature utopia. This is a quote I always go back to (nicked from Terry Eagleton): "premature utopianism grasps instantly for the future, projecting itself by an act of will or imagination beyond the compromised political structures of the present. By failing to attend to those forces or fault lines within the present that, developed or prised open in particular ways, might induce that condition to surpass itself into a future, such utopianism is in danger of persuading us to desire uselessly rather than feasibly, and so, like the neurotic, to fall ill of instaunchable longing". Spuffy, I thought, "prised open fault lines" (fitting given Sunnydale disappeared into an abyss).
    Hmmm, I think I mean mature utopianism then. It shouldn't be a world that was built on the ruins of the old like Twilight intended. Our ideas of the future -- dystopic, retropic, utopic etc. -- are governed by zeitgeist and extrapolations (interpretations) of current economic, ecological, sociopolitical (etc.) dynamics and developments. IMO, they carry lots of self-fulfilling potential. Or in other words: the walk to the future doesn't have to be a passive, deterministic process but should in large parts be understood as an organizational task. For that, we need visions (plural) on which we can form strategies. And for that we need to change the zeitgeist because it's currently dominated by retropiansim, restauration, repression, adhesion, pure fear etc. And... that never ends well.

A pretty pragmatic, utilitarian, conceptual utopianism.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

TriBel (22-07-18)

Thanks

I'm not really for a reboot at this point, but I'm also not against it. I've always been satisfied with Buffy's ending so I never felt like I needed more. I read the comics simply because they exist and I want to know what's happening in them. So I will watch for sure and I'll probably even get excited about it, the way I sometimes do about the comics.

That said, if they are going to make a reboot, I think they're going in the right direction so far (I know we still know very little about it, but what we do know I find intriguing) to make the show current and something that can subvert a trope ("the black girl always gets it first") the way Buffy did back then. So I'm cautiously optimistic that in time it'll feel like this reboot had a reason to be.

Oh and hello to you all!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mylie For This Useful Post:

bespangled (23-07-18),flow (23-07-18),grace (23-07-18),Priceless (23-07-18),TriBel (23-07-18),vampmogs (23-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

And hello to you Mylie!

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

32. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Mylie (24-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,440 Times in 5,577 Posts

Hey Mylie, great to see someone new joining us again.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Mylie (24-07-18)

Thanks

Mylie:

So I'm cautiously optimistic that in time it'll feel like this reboot had a reason to be.
    Couldn't agree more!

Oh and hello to you all!
    And hello to you too. Nice to see you here!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Mylie (24-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
    I'm not really for a reboot at this point, but I'm also not against it. I've always been satisfied with Buffy's ending so I never felt like I needed more. I read the comics simply because they exist and I want to know what's happening in them. So I will watch for sure and I'll probably even get excited about it, the way I sometimes do about the comics.

That said, if they are going to make a reboot, I think they're going in the right direction so far (I know we still know very little about it, but what we do know I find intriguing) to make the show current and something that can subvert a trope ("the black girl always gets it first") the way Buffy did back then. So I'm cautiously optimistic that in time it'll feel like this reboot had a reason to be.

Oh and hello to you all!
    Hello Mylie! It's great to have you here, hope you have fun

I agree, I am a little bit excited about the reboot, glad that Joss it attached, worried that Monica Owusu-Breen's work to date isn't that exciting or interesting, but then neither was Joss's when he began Buffy - everyone starts somewhere. So I guess I have mixed feelings. But I'll watch and I'm open to liking it

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Mylie (24-07-18)