Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: OFFICIAL:Buffy Reboot - Monica Owusu-Breen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

https://screenrant.com/buffy-sarah-m...-not-starring/

Sarah Michelle Gellar Says She Won't Be in the Buffy Reboot

by Eric Trigg
    – on Feb 01, 2019

Sarah Michelle Gellar will not be participating in the upcoming reboot of Joss Whedon's beloved Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series. Gellar starred as the titular character in the original series, which ran for seven seasons from 1997 to 2003, and even spawned a spin-off series, Angel. A reboot of the series was announced last summer, instantly dividing fans who felt that the show's legacy should remain untouched.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer follows a teenage girl named Buffy (Gellar) who discovers that she is the Chosen One in a long line of female warriors whose purpose is to battle supernatural beings. Over the course of the series, Buffy struggles to balance her life-or-death Slayer duties with normal, everyday life. Now, nearly 16 years since the series finale aired, Fox is looking to bring the Slayer back to the small screen. Whedon will return to executive produce the reboot with Monica Owusu-Breen serving as the showrunner; and though no plot details have been revealed yet, the current plan is to introduce an African-American Slayer. Unfortunately, though no official casting has begun, fans shouldn't hold out hope for Gellar returning to dust more vampires.

During a recent interview with The Wrap, Gellar stated that she would not be in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot. Believing she has already told enough of Buffy's story, she explained that she would rather step back and let the series develop without her. Gellar also added that she knows nothing about the upcoming project, but gave it her blessing. She said:

“I don’t know anything about it, honestly. I think that it’s a great story and I’m glad that it will get retold and hope that people will watch it. But, you know, I’ve told my story with it.”

Though official details have yet to be revealed, Owusu-Breen explicitly stated that her take on the series won't be retelling Whedon's story, but adding to the Slayer mythology. It will take place roughly 20 years since the original series and will focus on a completely brand new Slayer. Owusu-Breen assured fans that Whedon's series will not be tampered with. Several other actors from the original series, like Alyson Hannigan, expressed confidence in the new series, while David Boreanaz, who starred as one of Buffy's many love interests, has given the show his stamp of approval.

While devoted fans of Gellar might have hoped she'd have some part to play in the new show, the series has the opportunity to move forward and develop its own identity without using its source material as a crutch. However, an appearance from Buffy would still be welcomed if Gellar were to become involved, even in a small capacity. With no real concrete direction on the series, fans should expect more news regarding the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot soon rather than later.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (02-02-19),bespangled (03-02-19),Priceless (02-02-19),Silver1 (02-02-19),Stoney (02-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,264 Posts

"Buffy's many love interests"?!
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    "Buffy's many love interests"?!
    "There've only been four-- I mean, three!"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghoststar For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-02-19),Priceless (02-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,425 Times in 5,565 Posts

We'll see what actually happens in the end, but I'm really happy that it seems to be sticking to the idea of deliberately placing it a distance from the original. I'm also pleased it seems it may be far enough forward that it also avoids overlapping to the comic continuation for anyone who keeps the entire offering of seasons in mind. Following a future slayer would be great, new characters to invest in and it gives the chance to draw the new modern perspective and cultural representation in too of course. I'm just wary because it seems so ideal.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-02-19),Silver1 (02-02-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

https://screenrant.com/flash-buffy-r...arker-kennedy/

Flash Actress Wants to Play Buffy in the Reboot

by Jamie Gerber
    – on May 02, 2019

The Flash actress, Jessica Parker Kennedy, is hoping to become the next Chosen One and portray Buffy Summers in the upcoming reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She has played Nora West-Allen, the time-traveling daughter of Barry and Iris, since season 4. Kennedy is already the superhero known as XS in the CW series, but it appears that she’d like to add "Slayer" to her resume as well.

Last summer, it was announced that Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be getting the reboot treatment with a black actress in the titular role. Joss Whedon will be an executive producer, while Monica Owusu-Breen is to act as showrunner. The fan response was quite divided, with many excited for a new iteration of the Buffyverse, while others felt that it was best to leave the series intact as it was. Owusu-Breen was quick to clarify that the intention is not to replace the original. The planned reboot is to feature an entirely new cast of characters, including a different slayer. However, since then, there have been no real updates on the highly anticipated project.

During an interview with The Tomorrow Show, Jessica Parker Kennedy announced that she would like to throw her hat in the ring to play the new slayer. The actress stated, "I can't even speak on it because all I want in my life is just Buffy to be a big, big part of my life, so I'm very excited it's coming back. Obviously I think I should be Buffy. I hope I get to audition for it as many times as possible, even if I need to crawl my way into that audition room.” Kennedy went on to say that the call stating her interest in the role had already been made, because she “would love that so, so, so much.” The actress revealed herself to be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer superfan, adding, “I have a night shirt that I sleep in that's a Buffy shirt, and it says 'I Slay,' and in the morning I wake up and I stretch and I go, 'Ughhh, Buffy!' and then I start my day.” Kennedy also excitedly admitted that when her character on The Flash does something cool, she quietly mutters “Buffy!” under her breath. She also referred to Buffy as her “spirit animal."

Despite the mixed fan reactions to the reboot news, the reception from the former cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been largely positive. Alyson Hannigan feels confident about the project and David Boreanaz voiced his support of both the show and the potential recasting of his character. Sarah Michelle Gellar also had encouraging words for the series, although she did reveal that she will not be reprising her role. James Marsters even expressed interest in returning, although he did acknowledge the inherent difficulties of playing a character who doesn't age so many years after originating the part.

If viewers learned anything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it’s that just because you can resurrect something, doesn’t necessarily mean that you should. That being said, choosing to create another cast of characters is the best approach. This new slayer deserves to be measured by her own merits, and while comparisons are inevitable, the show will have an easier time standing on its own without desperately clinging to what it once was. Many fans would love to revisit the Buffyverse, but not at the price of seeing all of these now iconic characters reimagined. The world has changed a lot since Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s groundbreaking pilot aired over twenty years ago, so it’s definitely time for some new stories to be told.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (03-05-19),betta (03-05-19),GoSpuffy (03-05-19),Priceless (03-05-19),Silver1 (03-05-19),Stoney (03-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 971 Posts

I hope it is a new slayer and characters and stories. Way better idea than what boom is doing IMO.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Stoney (03-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAF View Post
    https://screenrant.com/flash-buffy-r...arker-kennedy/

Flash Actress Wants to Play Buffy in the Reboot

by Jamie Gerber
    – on May 02, 2019

The Flash actress, Jessica Parker Kennedy, is hoping to become the next Chosen One and portray Buffy Summers in the upcoming reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She has played Nora West-Allen, the time-traveling daughter of Barry and Iris, since season 4. Kennedy is already the superhero known as XS in the CW series, but it appears that she’d like to add "Slayer" to her resume as well.

Last summer, it was announced that Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be getting the reboot treatment with a black actress in the titular role. Joss Whedon will be an executive producer, while Monica Owusu-Breen is to act as showrunner. The fan response was quite divided, with many excited for a new iteration of the Buffyverse, while others felt that it was best to leave the series intact as it was. Owusu-Breen was quick to clarify that the intention is not to replace the original. The planned reboot is to feature an entirely new cast of characters, including a different slayer. However, since then, there have been no real updates on the highly anticipated project.

During an interview with The Tomorrow Show, Jessica Parker Kennedy announced that she would like to throw her hat in the ring to play the new slayer. The actress stated, "I can't even speak on it because all I want in my life is just Buffy to be a big, big part of my life, so I'm very excited it's coming back. Obviously I think I should be Buffy. I hope I get to audition for it as many times as possible, even if I need to crawl my way into that audition room.” Kennedy went on to say that the call stating her interest in the role had already been made, because she “would love that so, so, so much.” The actress revealed herself to be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer superfan, adding, “I have a night shirt that I sleep in that's a Buffy shirt, and it says 'I Slay,' and in the morning I wake up and I stretch and I go, 'Ughhh, Buffy!' and then I start my day.” Kennedy also excitedly admitted that when her character on The Flash does something cool, she quietly mutters “Buffy!” under her breath. She also referred to Buffy as her “spirit animal."

Despite the mixed fan reactions to the reboot news, the reception from the former cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been largely positive. Alyson Hannigan feels confident about the project and David Boreanaz voiced his support of both the show and the potential recasting of his character. Sarah Michelle Gellar also had encouraging words for the series, although she did reveal that she will not be reprising her role. James Marsters even expressed interest in returning, although he did acknowledge the inherent difficulties of playing a character who doesn't age so many years after originating the part.

If viewers learned anything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it’s that just because you can resurrect something, doesn’t necessarily mean that you should. That being said, choosing to create another cast of characters is the best approach. This new slayer deserves to be measured by her own merits, and while comparisons are inevitable, the show will have an easier time standing on its own without desperately clinging to what it once was. Many fans would love to revisit the Buffyverse, but not at the price of seeing all of these now iconic characters reimagined. The world has changed a lot since Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s groundbreaking pilot aired over twenty years ago, so it’s definitely time for some new stories to be told.
    When Jessica appeared on The Flash playing a teenager I thought "I'm sure I know her from some other show!" Well, it was from Black Sails where she was far from being a teenager. The actress is like 32 years old, I think...

34, actually. It's like the actress who played Kendra, they don't get old.
    Last edited by betta; 03-05-19 at 01:24 AM.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-05-19),SpuffyGlitz (03-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I've really enjoyed her on The Flash.I remember when she played Plastique on Smallville in season 8.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,429 Times in 4,063 Posts

She could play Buffy's mum, but she's too old for Buffy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

Parker AND Kennedy? That does not bode well....

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

17. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (03-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    She could play Buffy's mum, but she's too old for Buffy.
    Well if they stick to the intention of it being a new slayer/new characters then she could just be an older slayer. Obviously Buffy's story through all twelve seasons had consistent running themes about identity and self development, but the exploration within the context of a world where she wasn't the chosen one any longer because of the S7 spell was all within the comics. It stayed heavily focused on her personal sense of duality and responsibility in being the slayer of course and as much as I'd expect identity to be involved still with a new slayer, a totally new character who came into their powers in a different context than Buffy experienced, could give the scope to build it, or focus it significantly, around something else too. As I remember they were considering setting it in the future post S7. I have ten years in mind but no idea where I've got that from, I may be misremembering. This would allow for them to avoid the existing canon entirely but there still be the possibility that there could be cameos from the original cast. To be honest I think it running separately within the same universe is just a great idea and whilst cameos or just tips of the hat to the original continuity would be lovely to have, creating a good degree of independence to the original is a great choice. I hope it happens. I'd love to get a show that was for new characters in the same verse.
    Last edited by Stoney; 03-05-19 at 10:28 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 399 Posts

Just thought this should go here as Hulu will likely be the streaming home of a Buffy reboot:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/...ulu-streaming/

Disney has total control of Hulu effective now.

Comcast will still own 33%, but will have no say in its operations

The agreement says that Comcast can sell its 33% stake in 2024 at which time Hulu will have a floor valuation of $27.5 billion (meaning that if Comcast sells its stake in 2024 Comcast and Disney have agreed to value all of Hulu at a minimum of $27.5 billion), if Hulu is worth more that $27.5 billion at that time then a reevaluation will be conducted

(For context when AT&T sold its 10% stake in Hulu last month for $1.5 billion Hulu was valued at $15 billion- this means that Disney and Comcast expect Hulu’s value to nearly double in just 5 years time)

Comcast will no longer have to contribute money to Hulu if it doesn’t want to - remember Hulu is still unprofitable and has been relying on its owners to keep afloat - however if Comcast doesn’t contribute money then its stake will dilute to a minimum of 21% (the floor valuation of $27.5 billion listed above is still in place)

In regards to content: NBCUniversal content will remain on Hulu until 2024 at a minimum, at which time normal contract negotiations will happen like with other content deals. Comcast gets to right to add NBCUniversal content to get upcoming streaming service next year

Disney gets right to bundle Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ in the US.

With Disney+ launching Stateside in November the rest of the world will likely shortly get a "Disney+Hulu" deal shortly afterward similar to how Amazon Video went global in 2016. Sports rights is too complex so probably no ESPN globally.

All Disney/Former Fox/FX adult leaning stuff will go on Hulu as will probably a Buffy show since it's not exactly family-friendly in tone. We'll likely get global release of things like the 5 animated Marvel shows and upcoming Helstrom and Ghost Rider.

Current stuff like Handmaid's Tale already has international holders for each country (in Canada Bell Media plays it on Bravo for television and their streamer Crave) so it won't be on Global Hulu anytime soon.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

flow (14-05-19),Silver1 (14-05-19)

Thanks

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19),Stoney (30-05-19),TriBel (30-05-19)

Thanks

They've pulled together quotes from over the past year or so and done a bit of a recap rather than offered anything new there I think. It's interesting it's felt to be something waiting in the wings that they're wanting to flash back up though. It gives a sense perhaps of the anticipation. I really do hope it goes ahead.
    Last edited by Stoney; 30-05-19 at 08:10 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (30-05-19),TriBel (30-05-19)

Thanks

Me too. I like the idea of a brand new story set in the buffyverse rather than taking the original characters and using them to tell a new story. Nothing can top the original and the boom comics just feel like bad fan fic to me. I hate that they are changing my buffy.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19)

Thanks

Thanks for posting GoSpuffy. I'm not a fan of New Buffy fighting the President for a start. That's just silly CW nonsense and won't ground the show in any sense of reality. It's very 'comic book-y' . . . and has actually been done in the comics already I liked the Buffy had a small universe and was very self contained, so I hope they don't go too big and just keep New Buffy a teenage girl in a small town.

I've never seen Jessica Parker Kennedy act, but if they are setting Buffy is high school, then she's too old to play her. Though there are other roles I am sure she could play, perhaps as Watcher, teacher or mother. Though I totally understand her rush to want to be in this show

I really do with they'd announced more details about he new show. It feels like we heard about it years ago and still we don't know if they've even go a script or actors or anything! Hurry up people!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,166 Posts

It's very 'comic book-y' . . . and has actually been done in the comics already
    Meh...that's why I thought. Though I'd be quite happy if it's revealed he's a demon.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Meh...that's why I thought. Though I'd be quite happy if it's revealed he's a demon.
    I think we already know he's a demon, no big reveal there

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (30-05-19)