Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL:Buffy Reboot - Monica Owusu-Breen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Thanks
    Thanked 2,087 Times in 800 Posts

Default OFFICIAL:Buffy Reboot - Monica Owusu-Breen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Monica Owusu-Breen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Monica Owusu-Breen has been tapped as the writer, executive producer and showrunner for the reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Owusu-Breen will work alongside the original series producer, Joss Whedon, who will act as executive producer.

The original ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ series was based on the 1992 film which starred Kristy Swanson as Buffy. The television show ran from 1996-2003 and featured Michelle Gellar, though the reboot of the hit show is set to feature a black actress as the lead.

Owusu-Breen has worked on several hit shows, and used to keep ‘Owusu’ out of her name when applying for writing positions. Here’s what you need to know.

1. Her Name Is Tied to Dozens of Famous Television Shows, From ‘Alias’ to ‘Lost’

Owusu-Breen’s Hollywood resume is impeccable, having served as a producer on shows like ‘Lost’, ‘Alias’, ‘Charmed’, ‘Brothers and Sisters’, and most recently ‘Midnight, Texas’.

In an interview while working as a producer for ‘Brothers and Sisters’, Owusu-Breen said of the staying power of family dramas on television, “I think everyone spends a lifetime negotiating those relationships with your siblings and your parents and your children.”

Of her experience creating ‘Midnight, Texas’, she said, “I had a strangely personal connection to them because part of the reason I was itching to develop something was I had had two deaths in my family – my mother and my mother in law – within a month of each other, and I was trying to get my mind off of that. My mother in law was a small town psychic, and my mother had moved to this tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. When I read the first couple of chapters, I was like, “this is good a sign as any” and embarked on this crazy adventure.”

Owusu-Breen has yet to comment on her endeavor in recreating what has been widely accepted to be one of the best television shows of all time.

2. She’s Half Spanish, Half Ghanaian

In a conversation with NBC News about her show, ‘Midnight, Texas’, Owusu-Breen spoke about how the show’s theme of outsiders coming together struck a chord for her, personally.

“I’ve never walked into a room and felt completely like I fit in,” she said to NBC News. “There’s not very many half-Spanish, half Ghanaian women in the world, so I get this idea of feeling different and finding your tribe, finding the people who, whether or not you’re exactly the same, you get one another.”

She continued of her relationship with the rest of the set, “We all got that – feeling that you don’t fit in the regular world. We’re sitting there in Albuquerque [where the show was filmed] all of us, and we all felt that we’re the ‘midnighters’ in the middle of a world that feels different.”

3. She Was Born in Spain But Moved to Brooklyn When She Was Eight

According to NBC, Owusu-Breen was born in England, lived in Spain for the beginning of her childhood, then moved to Brooklyn when she was eight years old.

Of learning to speak English as her second language, “I was a kid who would watch television constantly — in fact, I learned how to speak English watching television, whether it was Fred Flintstone or Lucy or the Brady Bunch.”

Of the lack of diversity in television growing up, Owusu-Breen said, “Yes, I wanted to see myself reflected, but if I didn’t it wasn’t as if I didn’t understand the characters. [Things have changed in] how I’ve felt as an African-American woman in this industry from when I started until now…partially it’s because of politics and partially because there is so much media out there.”

4. She Fell Into Screenwriting Accidentally While Working Towards a Doctorate in Television & Media Studies

After graduating from Brown University, Owusu-Breen went on to a PhD program at the University of California San Diego, for a degree in television and media studies. When a friend asked her to write some scripts, they eventually became partners (they no longer are) and got their first staff job soon after, on the television show ‘Charmed’.

“When we first started, I chose to take out Owusu from my middle name, just so no one made assumptions about anything,” she said. “Now you know my writing, and you’re not going to not give me a job if I use Owusu.”

5. Owusu-Breen Is Currently Working on Another Television Show, the NBC Supernatural Drama ‘Midnight, Texas’

Owusu-Breen is currently the showrunner for ‘Midnight, Texas’ a book-to-TV adaption about a young psychic who seeks refuge in the town of Midnight and finds a community that includes a witch, a fallen angel, a demon, a vampire and a shapeshifter.

NBC notably used colorblind casting to fill the roles for the show, excluding one character who had to be white to fit his family background of white supremacy. Owusu-Breen live tweets during each show, along with anyone from the show who’s currently in Los Angeles.

Of the love she’s experienced via Twitter (there’s even been a hashtag created, #TexasTea), Owusu-Breen said, “The show itself kind of became the truth of the whole production. There was a kindness at the center of it. We watch the show and we talk to fans. Then they found each other. It feels like this spirit is kind of contagious.”

We knew it was gonna happen eventually - though like everyone else I would prefer something in the same universe rather than an actual reboot. Since the other thread is focusing on what this means for the comics, I wanted a more general thread about the new series.

I've just put Midnight Texas on my watch list on Hulu. That will give me a whole lot more to go on.

So does anyone know anything about these people - other than Joss? Any predictions? Good gossip?

I have to say that MB seems to bring a lot of interesting life experience to the table. That's something I like in a producer/writer. Found family and being an outsider are real themes in her life apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like this is for cable networks or streaming services - HBO, Hulu. That's gonna mean a lot fewer restrictions
    Last edited by bespangled; 21-07-18 at 02:49 AM.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (01-08-18),MikeB (21-07-18),Priceless (21-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (21-07-18),TriBel (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,795 Times in 2,263 Posts

This, so far, sounds great - as good as possible when it comes to Buffy being rebooted at all. Because, for starters, as I've said before - if they are going to reboot Buffy at all, more diversity and Buffy being non-white is absolutely the way to go. It's the way to actually make it different and interesting and add something new that the original BtVS lacked (as great as it was, it was definitely very white - probably unrealistically so, going by what I know of the demographics of Southern California, which is not an awful lot, but still... Yeah, I know it's not that white by any means.) And Buffy being black is especially a great choice. I can't wait to see how they mix the casting of the other characters, and how similar or different they are going to be to the original.

Secondly, I'm relieved that Joss is not going to be too involved, because, let's face it - he's regressed as a writer and run out of ideas, especially when it comes to Buffy. His latest comics have been atrocious, as more most of his previous ideas for the comics plotlines.

Finally, while I haven't seen Midnight, Texas, I really loved most of Monica Owusu-Breen's writing on Agents of SHIELD. Especially The Only Light in the Darkness, which is still one of my favorite AoS episodes, and always struck me as very Buffyesque, in the sense that there were some interesting parallels and contrasts to some of the BtVS storylines and characters (not a rehash, but a different take on some of the similar themes), so much that I'd be very surprised if the author had not seen BtVS. I also liked most of her other episodes, which shared some of the same story/character threads - The Well, Seeds, Making Friends and Influencing People - as well as Bouncing Back, with a great character introduction, which showed her doing a good job with storyline introducing a character from a non-US, non-white culture. On the other hand, she did write A Wanted (In)human, which sucked, because it had on really bad storyline and another that rehashed her own writing from TOLITD, but overall, looking at her work on AoS, she's one of my favorite writers on the show, and I thought it was a real pity she left after season 3 to do another show. Because, while season 4 was amazing, season 5 had so many new writers which really sucked and made the last third of season 5 such a mess. It would have benefited from a writer who knew the characters and had proven able to write sensitive and emotionally complex storylines.
    Plus, on Lost she got to write a quite strong episode for one of my favorite characters - who was also one of the few African characters on US TV.

More writers bringing non-US perspectives on US shows is always welcome.

The blonde valley girl cheerleader thing has been done already, perfectly well. Now it's time for something new.

A part of me thinks they should change the name and just call it _________ the Vampire Slayer". Then again, it doesn't matter - the difference will be obvious. All that matters is that the new BtVS is groundbreaking and subverts the stereotypes as much as the original one - and is as brave, risky and complex.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-07-18),Ebdim9th (01-08-18),HowiMetdaSlayer (21-07-18),Priceless (21-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (21-07-18),TriBel (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,562 Posts

I find it hard to summon any enthusiasm for a full reboot to be honest.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (27-07-18),Ebdim9th (01-08-18),flow (21-07-18),Francy (21-07-18),Klaus Kartoffel (21-07-18),MikeB (21-07-18),Priceless (21-07-18),Silver1 (21-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (21-07-18)

Thanks

I gotta say I am finding Midnight Texas hella impressive. If I wanted to recreate a lot of the Buffy essence, this is how I would do it. There are no exact character comparisons but the characters are well drawn with some depth. Thre's a well considered universe and backstory for the overall threat - and a group of characters who confront what arises.

IMO, this is better than most supernatural shows I've watched - and damn near up there with Buffy. To early to tell about all the arcs for characters, and other BTVS gems. If anyone can manage a reboot, I think she might be the one to do it.

I gotta say I do feel better having seen some of MB's work.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (01-08-18),TimeTravellingBunny (14-08-18)

Thanks

It sounds like they’re assembling a good team, and I hope they live up to their potential. Unfortunately, I have my doubts about rebooting any show in the current fandom environment, let alone one of the most topical youth-oriented shows in television history. As much as I love the ships and the quips, the social messages walked a fine line between daring and bludgeon-like, made worse by the fact that the writers frequently ignored their own messages when they didn’t come in the form of speeches. (If you’re going to drop an anvil about how terrible it is that adults can wield handguns against bank robbers, maybe don’t make one of your 17-year-old hero’s awesomest moments be where she blows up the villain with a stolen rocket launcher? Likewise, if you’re going to write a tearjerking arc about the struggle to survive on minimum wage, SEND A NOTE TO COSTUMING so that your broke hero isn’t always on the cutting edge of fashion. I know she’ll look less cool if she shops off the clearance rack, but that’s an unfortunate side effect of writing a story about how poverty isn’t cool.)

If the unsuccessful attempts to meld sociopolitical commentary with everything looking awesome were an annoyance on the original, it’s likely to be ten times worse on a version produced today, because Whedon & Co. aren’t transgressive visionaries now; instead, fandom, and to some extent creation, have devolved into a rapid-fire contest to see who can be the most “woke.” People are as likely to promote a show for its representation checklist as they are for the quality of its dialogue. Giving someone a love interest after a few episodes where they don’t date is “asexual erasure.” Homoerotic subtext that doesn’t become text is “queerbaiting.” A cast full of healthy characters is “ableist.” And how on Earth can the writers addess core BtVS themes like the double standard, sexual assault, and the gendered division of labor when a sizable chunk of viewers would consider this very sentence “triggering”?

You might say that I’m just talking about a subgroup of viewers, and that the writers have greater vision. I hope they do. But I’m not holding my breath, because I’ve seen plenty of evidence that Hollywood writers have been drinking the Kool-Aid these last five years or so. Brooklyn Nine-Nine went from being hilarious to having all the humor of senior citizens’ Sunday school. (Never mind that any cop who participates in the war on drugs, regardless of how blue their state is, and regardless of how much they jabber about race and orientation, is causing a hundred times more real community destruction than even the most over-the-top, stereotypical, provincial-minded, red-state civilian with a “DON’T TREAD ON ME” tattoo and a Confederate flag shirt.) That it’s worth sitting through Sense8’s interminable sermons testifies to the exquisite development of the [I]good[I] storylines, not to the writers’ taste in avoiding bad ones. Penny Dreadful, a show where all the other storylines were straight-up Gothic horror, had a seven-episode subplot about a trans character who did nothing [I]except[I] be trans.

The airwaves are now full of creators trying to make statements, be edgy, share their message, prove their progressive bona fides. It’s hard to weave a tapestry of metaphors when anyone with a viewpoint is expected to have their actors scream it every ten minutes. And it was in those metaphors that the show’s themes usually thrived: The vampire ex-lover forcing Buffy to fight him for the world’s sake was more compelling than the human misogynist who slipped his ex a roofie, and Willow’s deals with the devil(s) were better than her shivering from magic withdrawal. There’s meaningful art, and then there are callout posts. I fear that any BtVS reboot produced before the current discontent subsides will be little more than a callout post in script format.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ghoststar For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-07-18),flow (21-07-18),Klaus Kartoffel (21-07-18),Silver1 (21-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (21-07-18)

Thanks

Finally, while I haven't seen Midnight, Texas, I really loved most of Monica Owusu-Breen's writing on Agents of SHIELD. Especially The Only Light in the Darkness, which is still one of my favorite AoS episodes, and always struck me as very Buffyesque, in the sense that there were some interesting parallels and contrasts to some of the BtVS storylines and characters (not a rehash, but a different take on some of the similar themes), so much that I'd be very surprised if the author had not seen BtVS. I also liked most of her other episodes, which shared some of the same story/character threads - The Well, Seeds, Making Friends and Influencing People - as well as Bouncing Back, with a great character introduction, which showed her doing a good job with storyline introducing a character from a non-US, non-white culture.
    The vampires dust when they are staked. Lots of subtle homage. .

The blonde valley girl cheerleader thing has been done already, perfectly well. Now it's time for something new.

A part of me thinks they should change the name and just call it _________ the Vampire Slayer". Then again, it doesn't matter - the difference will be obvious. All that matters is that the new BtVS is groundbreaking and subverts the stereotypes as much as the original one - and is as brave, risky and complex.
    Well, the name does matter - but only because it's like insisting on telling the story of the blonde cheerleader with different people who aren't her and her friends.

I want a multi ethnic, multi racial and multi religious cast of varying sexuality because those are all things that make characters interesting. I would love it if this slayer was named for blonde cheerleader, and had her own story because i have already seen the original Buffy's story.

Still, give what I see in Midnight she might be able to pull it off. I will keep an open mind

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (21-07-18),TriBel (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,420 Times in 4,057 Posts

But is she funny? Can she bring the wit and humour that was so wonderful in the original. None of the other shows she's worked on have been particularly funny. The humour is so singular and essential for a real Buffy reboot and I worry that will be missing. The original show had a unique take on the language of the characters and I worry that the reboot won't put the effort in to make the reboot as unique or singular. But give me some funny lines and a quirky use of language within the first ten minutes of episode one and I'll stick with it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (21-07-18),Silver1 (21-07-18),TimeTravellingBunny (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I find it hard to summon any enthusiasm for a full reboot to be honest.
    My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread.
    I suspect I'm in a minority but I absolutely loathe the Star Trek reboots. And I otherwise love JJ Abrams' work. So this is the last thing I wanted to see or hear about. Almost!!!
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

flow (21-07-18),Klaus Kartoffel (21-07-18),Silver1 (21-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (21-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,189 Posts

I'm sorry to sound old fashioned but anyone who was involved in Agents of Shield doesn't get my vote of confidence. I know some on here loved it, but compared to Buffy's writing it stunk.

This will all end very badly imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by debbicles View Post
    My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread.
    I suspect I'm in a minority but I absolutely loathe the Star Trek reboots. And I otherwise love JJ Abrams' work. So this is the last thing I wanted to see or hear about. Almost!!!
    Yeah 'STD' is a prime example of how not to do something. It was bloody awful and completely f*cked with the shows canon.

I want a multi ethnic, multi racial and multi religious cast of varying sexuality because those are all things that make characters interesting. I would love it if this slayer was named for blonde cheerleader, and had her own story because i have already seen the original Buffy's story.
    And I just want good writing. As unpopular as this may be, I think If you start box ticking this early on you may have problems later down the line.
    Last edited by Silver1; 21-07-18 at 09:42 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Alce (21-07-18),debbicles (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,177 Posts

I think it's too early for a reboot because BtVS still has a strong fandom. But the new show sounds too different from the original that it might work, will there be Xander, Willow and Giles or different side characters? I'll be more interested if the other characters got rebooted as well. I don't watch BtVS for just Buffy, I'd be excited to see the new versions of Xander, Willow and Giles as well and also Angel and Spike and Cordelia.... etc. Same characters but a different take with different stories.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 4,943 Times in 2,162 Posts

At one time I thought there'd be a re-boot involving Roux or Blue from the Giles mini. My thought was Roux (who refers to herself as a watcher, slayer and a vampire) has a slave name. There's a lot of power in naming yourself. I thought she'd take Buffy's name in homage and to establish a matrilineage that blurred racial boundaries. I've read an objection elsewhere about the fact that a black slayer means they discard the blond bimbo trope central to Buffy. My argument is they replace it with this one.

SPIKE OK, these two are dead. Why? RONA (stands, dusts herself off, to Spike) 'Cause the black chick always gets it first?

I'm really excited by this. It has radical potential and - done well - can address the issues BtVS couldn't (or didn't).
    Last edited by TriBel; 21-07-18 at 11:11 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (21-07-18),Priceless (21-07-18),TimeTravellingBunny (21-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I'm sorry to sound old fashioned but anyone who was involved in Agents of Shield doesn't get my vote of confidence. I know some on here loved it, but compared to Buffy's writing it stunk.

This will all end very badly imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah 'STD' is a prime example of how not to do something. It was bloody awful and completely f*cked with the shows canon.

And I just want good writing. As unpopular as this may be, I think If you start box ticking this early on you may have problems later down the line.
    Reasons to reboot: 0

Set the thing post-show and use it to go to Fray. Hell, use it an adaption of that. I view it with the same skepticism as the last reboot.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

MikeB (21-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    The vampires dust when they are staked. Lots of subtle homage. .

Well, the name does matter - but only because it's like insisting on telling the story of the blonde cheerleader with different people who aren't her and her friends.

Still, give what I see in Midnight she might be able to pull it off. I will keep an open mind
    Now I really need to see Midnight, Texas. I've been planning to check it out since it started, I just never find the time.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,762 Posts

I'm still hoping that wires have been crossed and that this series will be about a NEW Slayer. It wouldn't be the first time the term "reboot" has been thrown out incorrectly. Some fans pointed out that the original Deadline article does make it sound as if the series would revolve around someone new. Another article then reported it was about "Buffy" and I think it set off a chain reaction from there. I'm probably just in denial, but I'd love it if it were true.

I will say that however great a Slayer Anthology series sounded, where each season and/or episode would be about a different Slayer from the past, I can see why networks wouldn't go for it. It doesn't have the longevity of a series set in the present and it has the Slayer's inevitable death looming over every story. Whilst I completely agree with fans that there's a lot of Buffyverse backstory/slayer mythology to explore, I don't think it was a realistic pitch for any network.

A story set after Chosen with a brand new Slayer sounds a happy compromise. I do wonder if the Season 12 comics may end in a reset of some way, perhaps paving the way for a post-Chosen story full of endless possibilities. Joss did always say he'd throw out comic canon if it meant getting the show back and this may be his way of doing that.

But, meh, it's probably just a reboot *sigh*

If there's one happy thing to take away from all this is that it always amazes me just how beloved this show was/still is. Fandom discussion is so minuscule now but seeing people's dismay across a variety of sites (news sites/gaming sites/fan sites etc) and that the show was No 1 trending on twitter, warms my heart a little. There's such a fondness for this show.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 21-07-18 at 11:35 AM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-07-18),flow (21-07-18),Priceless (21-07-18),Silver1 (21-07-18)

Thanks

If someone was gonna do a demo to show me they could reboot Buffy then I would want to see this. I am not a fan of a reboot. But I am a fan of this show now. It's the first thing I have seen that doesn't have too many annoying cliches, or any really annoying characters. IMO, it's better than Lucifer, Supernatural, or Walking Dead and I like all of those. This comes closer to the B-verse mix than any of those shows.

There is a season arc with a season big bad. In Midnight Texas the veil between worlds is thin. For generations the town attracted folks with odd abilities and origins. But now the veil is thinning. That's season one - not sure if it's ongoing but I doubt the veil will go away. The battle between good and evil with characters who know they are making a stand, and choose to take the risks. There's plenty of representation but it's not an issue any more than Willow and Tara were the lesbians. The characters are flawed, they have internal logic, and they are pretty compelling. I don't hate anyone yet, and that is rare.

There's a thread of homage to Buffy that's fun for Buffy fans but explaining it here would be a list of stuff that wouldn't seem like as much fun as it is. Kinda like explaining a good Buffy scene to a complete non fan. That thread is a fun easter egg in a very layered universe which is unfolding well. There is a also a good streak of self referential humor - people know how absurd their lives are. There's good snark, and some excellent use of language. It's not an origin story - it's ensemble. The characters are adults - so no coming of age.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (21-07-18),TimeTravellingBunny (21-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    But is she funny? Can she bring the wit and humour that was so wonderful in the original. None of the other shows she's worked on have been particularly funny. The humour is so singular and essential for a real Buffy reboot and I worry that will be missing. The original show had a unique take on the language of the characters and I worry that the reboot won't put the effort in to make the reboot as unique or singular. But give me some funny lines and a quirky use of language within the first ten minutes of episode one and I'll stick with it.
    I haven't seen anything by her that involved much comedy. But they could hire other writers to balance that. In one of my favourite current shows, BoJack Horseman (BTW, you want to see how to address all kinds of social topics and include political and social satire in funny, witty and not at all "sledgehammery" way? Watch BoJack Horseman!), the creator and showrunner, Raphael Bob-Waksberg, seems to be good at humor and satire of Hollywood and celebrity culture, but most of the best episodes have been those more dramatic and dealing with heavy subjects, most of them written by Kate Purdy. BoJack is also a great example of how to blend drama and comedy seemlessly. It's good to have writers who balance each other out. And when you look at the list of BtVS writers who are known for writing humor, especially looking at their other work (mostly post-Buffy), I don't think I would say anyone other tjan Jane Espenson and Joss himself belong to that category (and even a lot of Espenson's post-Buffy work has been in shows that do not have much or any humor, and her scripts were in tune with that and didn't have much humor either).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    If someone was gonna do a demo to show me they could reboot Buffy then I would want to see this. I am not a fan of a reboot. But I am a fan of this show now. It's the first thing I have seen that doesn't have too many annoying cliches, or any really annoying characters. IMO, it's better than Lucifer, Supernatural, or Walking Dead and I like all of those. This comes closer to the B-verse mix than any of those shows.
    What you say about the show sounds very interesting, but the above is not a huge recommendation for me since I haven't seen Supernatural or Lucifer, and I think The Walking Dead is terrible. It started off good (though it always had its flaws), but my god, has it deteriorated more and more as seasons went on, and since at least season 7, or the back part of season 6, it's been one of the worst shows around.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,189 Posts

RE: Lucifer, very average show imo, nothing special and I've always hated Supernatural. The writing just sucked hard.

A lot of these type of shows seem to end up turning in generic CW fodder, which for me is a huuuge turn off.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-07-18),Priceless (21-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I just watched 7 episodes in a row - it hooked me. and I am not easy to hook. Yes - the same self aware ironic humor that comes from living this kind of life. No Spike level snark - but then it is season one. I think the writing is one of the best part of the show. No Bad Eggs or Go Fish. It's all damn good. If it runs seven seasons I can see my self getting emotionally invested in this show.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    At one time I thought there'd be a re-boot involving Roux or Blue from the Giles mini. My thought was Roux (who refers to herself as a watcher, slayer and a vampire) has a slave name. There's a lot of power in naming yourself. I thought she'd take Buffy's name in homage and to establish a matrilineage that blurred racial boundaries. I've read an objection elsewhere about the fact that a black slayer means they discard the blond bimbo trope central to Buffy. My argument is they replace it with this one.

SPIKE OK, these two are dead. Why? RONA (stands, dusts herself off, to Spike) 'Cause the black chick always gets it first?

I'm really excited by this. It has radical potential and - done well - can address the issues BtVS couldn't (or didn't).
    There's a character in Midnight who was a slave until he sought out someone to turn him. Later on he met a gypsy who was pivotal in his life. He's not Roux, and he's not Angel but he is definitely compelling. From what I read Joss and Monica have been working on her developmental ideas for quite a while, and it shows. This is a deleted scene so it doesn't give much away.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Now I really need to see Midnight, Texas. I've been planning to check it out since it started, I just never find the time.
    Yeah - I ignore the raves I heard until today. Hell, the show is a network show from NBC! You should be able to stream it easily. I share a Hulu acct, and it's on Hulu. I hope you like it - I know I did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    What you say about the show sounds very interesting, but the above is not a huge recommendation for me since I haven't seen Supernatural or Lucifer, and I think The Walking Dead is terrible. It started off good (though it always had its flaws), but my god, has it deteriorated more and more as seasons went on, and since at least season 7, or the back part of season 6, it's been one of the worst shows around.
    Yeah - I watched them for a while. They were likable at first. This might turn out to be the same - but I do see it as a cut above.

I am definitely not trying to sell anyone on a reboot. I just like the show.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (21-07-18),TimeTravellingBunny (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,420 Times in 4,057 Posts

BTW, you want to see how to address all kinds of social topics and include political and social satire in funny, witty and not at all "sledgehammery" way? Watch BoJack Horseman!), the creator and
    I love Bojack Horseman, it's brilliant. Totally agree, it's got the wit, humour and pathos that a great show needs.

I've watched a few snippets of Midnight Texas on YT and it seems quite bland, predictable and unsurprising. But I'm probably being too harsh as I've not seen a whole episode. Plus it's based on the books of Charlaine Harris, so it will be a certain style.

Thanks

I loathed True Blood! Not a Charlene Harris fan.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (21-07-18)