Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Banner/icon meme challenge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Entry 1 - Prompt 2 - Negative Connection

Buffy Summers - The Chosen One

Just something really simple. I took the prompt at face value and made a banner with the emphasis on the negative space. I purposefully downplayed the textures and gradients and just focused on the coloring and kept the whole thing very clean.

Credits

Texture: Carlton @ DA
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Nina (23-11-18),Priceless (23-11-18),Puppet (23-11-18),Stoney (23-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (25-11-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 455 Posts

A moment, person or dynamic that portrays energy, some real zeal & zing! [1/3]

It has to be Once more with feeling. For me, the whole entire episode was full of real energy of creativity.

See you all in Hell...

Credits;
    Stock; My type is my own handwritten!
    Screencaps; Mine. 'VLC screengrabs' on the episode I specifically download. {here}.
    Textures; All photoshop filters.

I haven't forgotten about you, Nina! Now focusing on our battle.

Until then.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Nina (27-11-18),Priceless (01-12-18),Puppet (27-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (28-11-18),Stoney (27-11-18),thenewbuzwuzz (29-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Entry 2 - Prompt 1 - A moment, person or dynamic that portrays energy, some real zeal & zing!

Deadpool

Reading this prompt, this is the first person who came to mind. I mean, how can you see the words energy, zing and zeal, and NOT think about Deadpool?! This guy is all about energy and zeal and I love everything about him.

I wanted to just have fun with this banner, just something that was crazy and zany like him.

Credits

Gradients: mine
    Textures: sunnyday, daydreaming, cloozy
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Nina (28-11-18),Priceless (01-12-18),Puppet (28-11-18),Stoney (27-11-18)

Thanks

Love the Deadpool banner Lyri
    I'm not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet For This Useful Post:

Lyri (28-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,835 Times in 5,314 Posts

Posting the new challenge made me realise I haven't seen any new banners/icons for a little while so I thought I'd have a nosey at the ones so far just because I haven't commented at all yet. Also it will bump the thread and it might result in one or two more before the next set of questions. For anyone looking to do one at this point, the current set of prompts are in this post.

Puppet's icons are a great response to the prompts by looking at an answer from a variety of shows, the prompts serving as the theme of the sets, and I love the differing characters/moments drawn together like that. There were plenty that I didn't know as I really don't watch a great number of shows, even the better known ones (I'll get around to Supernatural eventually, if Sky ever starts showing it from the beginning). Your explanations were great for me to understand those I didn't and to remind me of some that I did. I was especially amused to read about Lily Aldrin's car riding sugar rush, ha. I think you drew some really interesting ones together for the negative connections too. I was surprised at myself for not recognising Chandler when I watched Friends so much in my late teens/early twenties and the reminder of the moment from Revolution was great. Lovely sets of icons.

The banners for Pretty Little Liars as a negative connection were really great Puppet. The colour choice has great links with clear thinking and concentration, but also emotional separation. From what I understand of the mystery thriller direction of the show this seems like a well used choice. The isolated character turned from view as the first really sets an ominous tone. Then the colour with the individual specific items, the copy of the note, ending on the angry challenging stare, it all really builds up the mystery of the plot and an implied sense of considered threat that works really well to the prompt.

I also really enjoyed your BtVS displays of love. The texture on the Bangel banner works so well with a romantic wishful tone that goes along with the giving of the ring. The Xander/Anya shots are really lovely for their own ring reveal (and I enjoy the way the text, cutting lines and red warning can be seen to play as foreshadowing for them). Darla's sacrifice is another great choice for the prompt and although YW isn't an episode I'm fond of, the idea of Cordelia's return to help Angel works well too. You'll not get an objection from me to see Spuffy brought up in response to such a prompt and the moments from Chosen work well. The spider web texture is an interesting choice alongside the flaming imagery and colours. Was it used for representation of the connection between them at that point, being drawn together and with the episode as a (temporary) ending for Spike? The moment as possibly being stuck/trapped?

I really liked your Buffy banner Lyri. I thought both the negative space as you described and the interlinked lines worked really well for the second prompt for a negative connection. The lines for the tie to 'connection' but also as it made me think of the slayer power passing through the generations and with the shot of Buffy so young but armed and prepared to fight, the negative aspect of what is asked of The Chosen One I thought an excellent tie too.

Ah buffylover, your See You All in Hell set is great for the OMWF episode. Whilst there is ennui and unhappiness draped around the episode, the emotions churning under the surface I think works well for the energy you talk about. The final scene with Buffy and Sweet coming face to face especially and for the passionate release of the reveal is a great choice. The pink and reds are strong for emphasising those underlying emotional responses and the injection of yellow as a real high energy colour too.

The Deadpool banner is a total favourite Lyri. Again the red gives a real fiery, energetic tone and obviously is tied heavily to the character. Your choice of shots brings in a clear element of fun and the zeal you speak of connected to him. Placing him sat on the 'p' and almost as an influence on his own shoulder I just loved. Really high energy and just an excellent banner.

Fab stuff everyone.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (10-12-18),flow (10-12-18),Nina (10-12-18),Puppet (11-12-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

I'm doing the next set of questions.

Fandom; Buffyverse comics.

Your best colour. [1/3]

Your best Panel. [2/3]

The best character. [3/3]

Deadline. (FOUR WEEKS) 8th March 2019
    Last edited by buffylover; 09-02-19 at 10:18 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (09-02-19),Priceless (08-02-19),Stoney (08-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 3,707 Posts

1. Your Best Colour

The colour I chose to use was a light cyan, as shown on this cover

I used that colour in the following icons;

Art by Steve Morris, Jonathan Lam, Phil Noto, Georges Jeanty
    Last edited by Priceless; 08-02-19 at 10:09 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-02-19),Double Dutchess (09-02-19),Nina (09-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (09-02-19),Stoney (08-02-19),TriBel (11-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    I'm doing the next set of questions.

Fandom; Buffy comics.
    Yay, a comics challenge! When you say "Buffy comics" should I interpret this as strictly the Buffy comics from Dark Horse, or is it general Buffyverse comics (including the IDW Angel comics)?

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    1. Your Best Colour

The colour I chose to use was a light cyan, as shown on this cover
    I love your choice of colour, and how you used it as a unifying theme for your icons. It's a nice set! But are they supposed to be this big?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-02-19),Priceless (09-02-19)

Thanks

I love your choice of colour, and how you used it as a unifying theme for your icons. It's a nice set! But are they supposed to be this big?
    If I said yes, would you believe me?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-02-19),Double Dutchess (12-02-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    Yay, a comics challenge! When you say "Buffy comics" should I interpret this as strictly the Buffy comics from Dark Horse, or is it general Buffyverse comics (including the IDW Angel comics)?
    Yes, every comic that is based on the Buffyverse! even the reboot. Btw their is no feedback so you can be laid-back and have FUN!

And Priceless loving your set their are really good! Especially your colour scheme and blend! amazing technique your growing so much!

My personal favourite is the one with Buffy holding the scythe! basically the bottom three!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (12-02-19),flow (26-02-19),Priceless (09-02-19),Stoney (09-02-19)

Thanks

2. My Best Panel

As a Spuffy fanatic, I love the end of S11 when Buffy tells Spike that she loves him, and he believes her.
    The surrounding panels are better looking, perhaps more romantic, but it's the 'I love you too' panel that gave me the most happiness. I haven't changed it much, because it's the height of Spuffiness.

Screencaps - Alicewish.github.io
    Comic art - Rebekah Isaacs

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (14-02-19),Double Dutchess (06-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (07-03-19),Stoney (14-02-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

I tried to answer all three.

I really loved the art style and colour of the later Buffy omnibuses. Volume 7 has so much darkness and emotion within Buffy's character.

It's not girly it's mature this is why I love this comic it captured the later seasons perfectly within the artistic values.

Silence.

Credits,
    All mine.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (06-03-19),flow (26-02-19),Nina (27-02-19),Priceless (26-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (07-03-19),Stoney (26-02-19),TriBel (26-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,835 Times in 5,314 Posts

Love your favourite panel Pricey and wow buffylover yours are beautiful, so vibrant which I'm starting to associate with your pieces.

This is for 3/3 - favourite character and I've used a shot from the Boom comic because it's gorgeous. I could also argue it is favourite colour too as so many of my pieces seem to end up with variations of black/blue/brown within them. I'm tempted to change my banner to this now, hmmm.

I'm glad I managed to get in one entry, but I also had several panel choices as possibilities in mind from the canon comics for my favourite panel to pick from. Unfortunately I definitely won't have time to do this before the deadline tomorrow and as I also have a piece buzzing around in my head for Nina's challenge which finishes next week, I'm not going to beg an extension as I want to make sure I get at least one entry in for that too. I may well come back to this though if I ever do make the other banner I had thought of. I really liked the prompt to use the comics.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (07-03-19),Double Dutchess (09-03-19),flow (10-03-19),Priceless (07-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (07-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 506 Posts

buffylover, those are great! I love your clean style and vibrant colours.

Stoney, I love that you used the latest Boom! comic. Spike looks really good in it and the text you added is perfect for that panel.

Now for my own contribution. Having almost no time, I've tried to be efficient by answering all three questions in one go. Obviously, my favourite character is Spike (3/3), and since my favourite comics artist is Franco Urru (RIP) I took a panel from Spike: After the Fall showing Spike being all badass (2/3). The only thing I don't like about the original version of this panel (and all of Spike:AtF) is that the colours are on the drab side. I wish Fabio Mantovani had been the colourist; he's the one who coloured (among other things) the final parts of Angel:AtF and the first parts of the Spike series. I adore his colour palette with its rich reds, purples and blues, and I used it as my inspiration to recolour the panel I chose (1/3). I'm not quite satisfied with the result, because what I came up with is light years away from what Fabio Mantovani would have done, but still I'm happy that I managed to do SOMETHING for this challenge. (Technically it's already 9 March where I am, but let's just imagine I'm posting from Hawaii or something.)

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so when I said "not quite satisfied" in my post above, what I really meant was "not happy at all". It was a total rush job and Spike just ended up looking sunburnt (pretty incongruous for a vampire). So I've cheated with the deadline, and remade it in cool tones; now Spike is a vampire by night, as he should be. I'm much happier with this version; it's much closer to what I had in mind, trying to emulate FM's fabulous colours.

My apologies for not respecting the deadline. I'll leave the previous version up even though it's an embarrassment

Last edited by Double Dutchess; 10-03-19 at 01:13 AM.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-03-19),flow (10-03-19),Nina (09-03-19),Priceless (09-03-19),Stoney (09-03-19)