Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joss Sci-Fi Drama The Nevers Ordered at HBO.

Thanks

Default Joss Sci-Fi Drama The Nevers Ordered at HBO.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/13/joss-w...ctorian-women/

The Whedonverse is expanding to HBO.

The premium cabler on Friday gave a series order to Joss Whedon‘s The Nevers, which is described as an “epic science-fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.”

Whedon — who previously toyed with creating a “Victorian female Batman” for the stalled comic book series Twist — will write, direct and executive-produce the HBO drama, as well as serve as showrunner. His previous live-action TV forays include, of course, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Firefly, as well as Dollhouse and the co-creation of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (where his brother Jed serves as co-showrunner).

“I honestly couldn’t be more excited,” Whedon said in a statement. “The Nevers is maybe the most ambitious narrative I’ve created, and I can’t imagine a better home for it than HBO. Not only are they the masters of cinematic long-form, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive.

“It’s been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just ‘prestige,’ but a passionate collaboration,” he added. “I could go on, but — I’m impatiently grateful to say – I have work to do.”

Said HBO president Casey Bloys, “We have long been fans of the incredibly talented and prolific Joss Whedon and we can’t think of a better project … with which to welcome him to the HBO family. We look forward to meeting the strange, multifaceted characters of The Nevers, to learn their stories, see them in action and share them with our viewers. We’re honored that Joss chose HBO as the place to build his ambitious new world and we are excited to get started.”

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (31-10-18),BAF (13-07-18),bespangled (14-07-18),MikeB (13-07-18),Priceless (13-07-18),Stoney (14-07-18),TriBel (13-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,007 Times in 3,842 Posts

This is pretty exciting. Does Victorian automatically mean British? Could this be set/filmed in England? Wonder if there's a role for ASH? I really hope this gets off the ground, I'm already looking forward to it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-07-18)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

I'm very happy that Joss Whedon is back doing television and even happier that he's doing it on HBO.

I maintain that post-Season 9 cannot be canon anyway; so, I couldn't care less if his involvement in TV could result in his having less involvement with the Buffyverse comics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    This is pretty exciting. Does Victorian automatically mean British? Could this be set/filmed in England? Wonder if there's a role for ASH? I really hope this gets off the ground, I'm already looking forward to it
    Well it's going to be a historical sci-fi piece so it should be an interesting blend.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-07-18),TriBel (13-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,229 Posts

Yes. I'm pretty sure Victorian always means British.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,669 Times in 2,025 Posts

I'd have guessed "Victorian" meant the UK. It's not really cricket to claim Independence from one monarch then borrow another just for the convenience of a time frame. Dunno about the filming - From Hell was set in Victorian London but filmed in Eastern Europe. What about Ireland? HBO have used studios there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,007 Times in 3,842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I'd have guessed "Victorian" meant the UK. It's not really cricket to claim Independence from one monarch then borrow another just for the convenience of a time frame. Dunno about the filming - From Hell was set in Victorian London but filmed in Eastern Europe. What about Ireland? HBO have used studios there.
    I think it's expensive to film here in the UK. As it's sci-fi I imagine they could film anywhere, depending on the story.

Thanks

I think it's expensive to film here in the UK. As it's sci-fi I imagine they could film anywhere, depending on the story.
    Manchester! They could film it in Manchester - we've got studios! Or Hull even... Maybe JM will be in it? I've got a spare room... Help reduce the cost like...
    Last edited by TriBel; 13-07-18 at 08:58 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-07-18),GoSpuffy (14-07-18),Priceless (14-07-18)

Graveyard Patrol HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Heck to the YEAH! Also heard that JJ Abrams has a show in the works too! All we need is Herskovitz & Zwick and Aaron Sorkin to come back and all will be right in the world...er at least better.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-07-18),TriBel (13-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

I haven't thought much of Whedon's writing in a long time now but the premise does interest me and I like that it's on HBO. Honestly, it probably sounds like the most interesting thing that he's done since Buffy to me (and that includes the MCU) so I will give it a try. But his writing really needs to improve.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-07-18),Silver1 (14-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 762 Posts

At least it puts to bed the Buffy reboot/continuation/whatever suppositions.

I don't know how I feel about it. His work since Buffy hasn't been very good outside of a few flashes here and there. I could say the same for HBO since their peak 20 years ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 915 Posts

"Victorian " may be British but some of us in the colonies recognize Queen Victoria too. I live in the city of New Westminster, named by Queen Victoria in 1859 after her favourite part of London or so the story goes: http://www.tourismnewwestminster.com...nster/history/ .

We are known locally as the royal city and our heritage and community pride is very much focused on Queen Victoria. We've been celebrating May Day on the same site for 142 years making it the longest running May Day in the common wealth https://www.newwestcity.ca/citypage/...ticles1509.php .

I'd thumb my nose at Brits like priceless but as a Canadian I'm much too polite to do so.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-07-18),Priceless (14-07-18),Silver1 (14-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    At least it puts to bed the Buffy reboot/continuation/whatever suppositions.

I don't know how I feel about it. His work since Buffy hasn't been very good outside of a few flashes here and there. I could say the same for HBO since their peak 20 years ago.
    Really? Am I missing something (seriously)? The only series I recognize prior to 1998 are Oz and The Larry Sanders Show. Sex & The City, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, GoT, Veep, Boardwalk Empire, Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, BoB, The Pacific, John Adams, True Blood, True Detective, In Treatment (just off my own shelves) were all made in the last 20 years.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-07-18),Priceless (14-07-18),Silver1 (14-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Really? Am I missing something (seriously)? The only series I recognize prior to 1998 are Oz and The Larry Sanders Show. Sex & The City, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, GoT, Veep, Boardwalk Empire, Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, BoB, The Pacific, John Adams, True Blood, True Detective, In Treatment (just off my own shelves) were all made in the last 20 years.
    The last decent thing HBO has put out that wasn't a one-off was Six Feet Under. Anything else that was decent to good, such as Rome and Deadwood, got cancelled for being too expensive or novella shorts like The Night Of.

Yes, REALLY. Though I'm sure this will be a another great show that's great simply because it's on HBO such as True Blood and Game of Thrones. Joss will finally get his Emmy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    The last decent thing HBO has put out that wasn't a one-off was Six Feet Under. Anything else that was decent to good, such as Rome and Deadwood, got cancelled for being too expensive or novella shorts like The Night Of.

Yes, REALLY. Though I'm sure this will be a another great show that's great simply because it's on HBO such as True Blood and Game of Thrones. Joss will finally get his Emmy.
    So...The Wire wasn't decent to good? Similarly, The Sopranos?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-07-18),Priceless (14-07-18),vampmogs (14-07-18)

Thanks

Sex & The City, The Wire and The Soprano's were all great shows. Out of their current shows I also absolutely loved Big Little Lies and I have heard great things about Westworld but I haven't got around to watching it yet. I've always thought Joss should have went to a cable instead of another network. If this news had come out several years ago I'd have been very excited, but I was more confident of his writing back then. What I'm interested to see is if Joss can finally get past his show's starting off weakly and if he can actually come right out of the gate with strong episodes. Frankly, audiences simply don't have the patience for sticking with a show anymore if it isn't good from the beginning and nor should they have to. There's a certain expectation with cable shows that I'll be interested to see if he can live up to.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Sex & The City, The Wire and The Soprano's were all great shows. Out of their current shows I also absolutely loved Big Little Lies and I have heard great things about Westworld but I haven't got around to watching it yet. I've always thought Joss should have went to a cable instead of another network. If this news had come out several years ago I'd have been very excited, but I was more confident of his writing back then. What I'm interested to see is if Joss can finally get past his show's starting off weakly and if he can actually come right out of the gate with strong episodes. Frankly, audiences simply don't have the patience for sticking with a show anymore if it isn't good from the beginning and nor should they have to. There's a certain expectation with cable shows that I'll be interested to see if he can live up to.
    The Leftovers was also a great show (under incredibly underrated and under-promoted).

I think it's True Blood and Game of Thrones that have given HBO the reputation in many people's eyes of a network that relies too much on T&A and shock value.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-07-18),Priceless (14-07-18),TriBel (14-07-18)

Thanks

I've always thought people took True Blood way more seriously than the show did itself. It was a campy and greatly OTT and it knew it. It's first season actually was very, very good but the show never really pretended to be something it wasn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,528 Posts

Does anybody else think, that this is his last chance?

I do hope he surprises us all (in a positive way).

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

33. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Does anybody else think, that this is his last chance?

I do hope he surprises us all (in a positive way).

flow
    Last chance? No. But he needs to show he isn't creatively burned out and out of inspiration, which has seemed to be the case in the last few years.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

flow (14-07-18)