Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Objects

Thanks

I didn't think that True Detective Season 2 was as bad as some people thought. I still prefer S1 way more.
    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    So - is this good? I haven't watched any of it (I set the box thing up to record but forgot to press the "serial" button). Is it worth investing money in the DVD when it's released?
    Sharp Objects is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm enjoying it, but there is a sense that it's trying too hard to be 'weird', and meaningful. Very much in the True Detective mould. I'm worried that it's going to end with 'it's all the evil mother's fault' and all the bells and whistles will come to nothing more than something we've seen a trillion times. The performances are very good. I want to reserve full judgement till it's finished.
    Kinda disagree. I think that it's just weird enough.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-08-18),TriBel (17-08-18)

Thanks

Holy frak - what an episode! Can't wait for the finale!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,429 Times in 4,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Holy frak - what an episode! Can't wait for the finale!

This show is so confusing, does ep 7 answer any questions?

Thanks

Yes and no.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Yes and no.
    You are terrible

Thanks

I know. However, wasn't just being coy. Just accurate. You'll see.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Wow. I've just finished watching the last episode. I didn't see that coming!
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Thanks

Woah! Think I need a drink now...
    Not a spoiler: Note to anyone soon to be watching the finale - WATCH THE CREDITS! ⚠️

Thanks
    Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,166 Posts

Good call on Sharp Objects HowimetdaSlayer! Here's The Guardian review:

Sharp Objects recap: season one finale – Milk
    Much like the series itself, the episode that wrapped up the Wind Gap case was deeply satisfying, fantastically gothic and joyfully over the top https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ne-finale-milk
    You like it; Priceless likes it and The Guardian likes it. I feel a purchase coming on.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (27-08-18),Priceless (27-08-18)

Thanks

You like it; Priceless likes it and The Guardian likes it. I feel a purchase coming on.
    Just watched the last two episodes. Gothic is definitely the word. Crazee

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (27-08-18),TriBel (27-08-18)

Thanks

Definitely a must own item!
    Just watched the last two episodes. Gothic is definitely the word. Crazee
    Amen sister!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Wow. I've just finished watching the last episode. I didn't see that coming!
    Ha ha, I figured out who the killer was after the first episode. As you can see in my post here: https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%...us&cuid=247272
    And the hints just kept piling up throughout the show. I was convinced it had to be
    Spoiler:
    Amma, with the little help of her friends
    and was just waiting for the reveal.
    But that didn't bother me - I always saw this more as a drama than a murder mystery. The characterization, acting, atmosphere, style, darkness, messed up family dynamics... everything was so well done.

I hope it isn't just Adora. I want to know who Camile's father is.
    1) Adora was 'married into the Preakers' - Camille's last name is Preaker, and 2) she was very young when she had Camille.

So, my impression based on this info is: Adora was married to Camille's father - but she was very young. A child bride, just like the woman in the Calhoun day re-enactment?
    She clearly wasn't happy, and calls her (probably quite older?) husband "cold".

She is probably a widow, as I imagine if she were divorced, there would be a lot of gossip about it in town. They're very old-fashioned. And there's no mention of the Preaker dude - Camille's father - being around. He probably died a long time ago, and Camille never got to know him, and her mother doesn't want to talk about him. Another sign she wasn't happy (no surprise, if she was a child bride).

And since Camille's father is a non-entity, Camille's issues have nothing to do with him (Adora's, however, do). As far as the source of Camille's and Amma's issues, it's mostly Adora, and Alan as an enabler, and Wind Gap as a whole.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

She is probably a widow, as I imagine if she were divorced, there would be a lot of gossip about it in town. They're very old-fashioned. And there's no mention of the Preaker dude - Camille's father - being around. He probably died a long time ago, and Camille never got to know him, and her mother doesn't want to talk about him. Another sign she wasn't happy (no surprise, if she was a child bride).

Spoiler:
    I think Adora probably killed him, with the same 'kindness' she showed her daughters

And since Camille's father is a non-entity, Camille's issues have nothing to do with him (Adora's, however, do). As far as the source of Camille's and Amma's issues, it's mostly Adora, and Alan as an enabler, and Wind Gap as a whole.
    I think the lack of a father can give a child as many issues as a bad father/good father can, depending on the child and many other factors at play within and around the child's life
    Spoiler:
    Adora's mother seems to have also been 'ill', so I'm not sure I blame Adora or Amma, perhaps it was their genetic makeup. I don't think either woman could help what they became, I think it was possibly the case of the 'psychopathic' gene at play, aided by the fact that neither mother or child could break away from Wind Gap and find a 'better' release for their narcissistic tendencies

But it was a good show, the performances were great. Special mention for the musical choices, which were fabulous throughout.

Thanks

Spoiler:
    I think Adora probably killed him, with the same 'kindness' she showed her daughters

I think the lack of a father can give a child as many issues as a bad father/good father can, depending on the child and many other factors at play within and around the child's life
    Spoiler:
    Adora's mother seems to have also been 'ill', so I'm not sure I blame Adora or Amma, perhaps it was their genetic makeup. I don't think either woman could help what they became, I think it was possibly the case of the 'psychopathic' gene at play, aided by the fact that neither mother or child could break away from Wind Gap and find a 'better' release for their narcissistic tendencies

But it was a good show, the performances were great. Special mention for the musical choices, which were fabulous throughout.
    Oh, the lack of father definitely does affect a child. I just meant he couldn't have done anything personally to affect her.

I don't think any of these problems are genetic. They are clearly the result nurture, nor nature - of poor parenting and messed up family dynamics, plus the community of Wind Gap as a whole. Adora's mother was also abusive and messed her up.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

I don't think any of these problems are genetic. They are clearly the result nurture, nor nature - of poor parenting and messed up family dynamics, plus the community of Wind Gap as a whole. Adora's mother was also abusive and messed her up.
    I'm just not so certain. I think it's ambiguous. I prefer to think there was a genetic component involved. I think that's what that play was about - linking these women to the past generations, to the madness back then, that came through the generations. Camille didn't hurt others because she found a release in hurting herself, but that component was still within her. Just my reading of it.

Thanks

I'm just not so certain. I think it's ambiguous. I prefer to think there was a genetic component involved. I think that's what that play was about - linking these women to the past generations, to the madness back then, that came through the generations. Camille didn't hurt others because she found a release in hurting herself, but that component was still within her. Just my reading of it.
    That wasn't about how there's something genetically wrong with them. It was about how messed up the entire town of Wind Gap is, with their narrow-minded and oppressive and prejudiced views, their effed up view of their past and tradition and the role of women (and men).
    Why else did you think there was so much focus on the community and the mentality of the town? They aren't all related.

It's not all about how "you are born evil/wrong" (which would be a stupid and horrible message to send, I thought we left that back in the 19th century with Lombroso and whoever and their theories of people being genetically evil).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    That wasn't about how there's something genetically wrong with them. It was about how messed up the entire town of Wind Gap is, with their narrow-minded and oppressive and prejudiced views, their effed up view of their past and tradition and the role of women (and men).
    Why else did you think there was so much focus on the community and the mentality of the town? They aren't all related.

It's not all about how "you are born evil/wrong" (which would be a stupid and horrible message to send, I thought we left that back in the 19th century with Lombroso and whoever and their theories of people being genetically evil).
    You are right, but I also think having Amma as the lead actress was asking the audience to think further/deeper about the message. The town is messed up, no doubt, but I also think that there was a deeper message about this one family.

Of course there is a genetic component to mental illness! Depression runs in families. Alcoholism and addiciton issues run in families.
    Spoiler:
    I don't believe in 'evil' as such- Adora was suffering from a mental illness called Munchausens by Proxy - it's an illness! Just as the need to cut yourself is an illness. Mental illness was present in this family for generations in my opinion, and that has nothing to do with 'evil'

Thanks

You are right, but I also think having Amma as the lead actress was asking the audience to think further/deeper about the message. The town is messed up, no doubt, but I also think that there was a deeper message about this one family.

Of course there is a genetic component to mental illness! Depression runs in families. Alcoholism and addiciton issues run in families.
    Spoiler:
    I don't believe in 'evil' as such- Adora was suffering from a mental illness called Munchausens by Proxy - it's an illness! Just as the need to cut yourself is an illness. Mental illness was present in this family for generations in my opinion, and that has nothing to do with 'evil'
    Spoiler:
    Killing girls does. People don't kill because they were born that way. Amma became the way she is and did what she did because of her she was treated by her mother, while her father enabled that behaviour, plus her entire upbringing in the larger community. Adora was probably the same, with her abusive mother Joya. Camille self-harms because of what her family - primarily her mother - and the Wind Gap community did to her.

Explaining everything, including crime, by genetics isn't looking deeper, it's the shallowest possible reading. It both absolves individuals of any responsibility for their actions, and absolves the community; brings a bunch of harmful messages - like the 19th centre idea that some people are born with a propensiry for criime - and a fatalistic view that people can't change anything about themselves or decide their fate, and fails to say anything interesting about the world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Spoiler:
    Killing girls does. People don't kill because they were born that way. Amma became the way she is and did what she did because of her she was treated by her mother, while her father enabled that behaviour, plus her entire upbringing in the larger community. Adora was probably the same, with her abusive mother Joya. Camille self-harms because of what her family - primarily her mother - and the Wind Gap community did to her.

Explaining everything, including crime, by genetics isn't looking deeper, it's the shallowest possible reading. It both absolves individuals of any responsibility for their actions, and absolves the community; brings a bunch of harmful messages - like the 19th centre idea that some people are born with a propensiry for criime - and a fatalistic view that people can't change anything about themselves or decide their fate, and fails to say anything interesting about the world.
    I don't think I said that all crime is caused by genetics. I think I was very specific,
    Spoiler:
    Munchausens By Proxy is a mental illness. That is the disease Adora was said to have been suffering from. I believe there is a genetic component to mental illness. For me, I believe this family had a genetic leaning towards mental illness. The town of course played a part, because these women weren't allowed to get the help they needed because they lived in rural redneck Missouri

I also think that a lot of anti-social behaviour, including criminal behaviour is caused by head injuries and brain trauma. I believe a lot of anti-social behaviour, including criminal behaviour is caused by chaotic upbringing, by how you are treated as a child, by numerous other things. . . But in this instance, from what I took from those 8 episodes, there is a genetic component to the behaviour of these women.

Thanks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

betta (31-08-18)